Booth babes need not apply
The presence of fans dressed as X-23 (left) and Loki's female form (right) at Comic-Con signals the broadening of geek culture.
July 24th, 2012

Booth babes need not apply

Editor's note: When he's not teaching the Internet how to fist-fight, why being weird is awesome or how to self-publish your own books, Joe Peacock tours the world, showing his extensive "Akira" art collection. He also cosplays as a six-foot-two-inch, 310lb Powerpuff Girl to fill the hollow pit that is his need for the wrong kinds of attention.

There is a growing chorus of frustration in the geek community with - and there's no other way to put this - pretty girls pretending to be geeks for attention.

San Diego Comic-Con is the largest vehicle, but it's hardly the only convention populated with "hot chicks" wearing skimpy outfits simply to get a bunch of gawking geeks’ heads to turn, just to satisfy their hollow egos.

Now, before every single woman reading this explodes, let me disambiguate a bit. I absolutely do not believe that every girl who attends conventions and likes "Doctor Who" is pretending to be a geek.

There are lots of geeks who are female. Some of these female geeks are pretty girls. I find it fantastic that women are finally able to enjoy a culture that has predominately been male-oriented and male-driven.

The presence of female geeks means that the fiction we're reading is broadening and, frankly, getting better in quality. It means nerdy films and television shows aren't relying on damsel in distress stories and objectification of women to draw readers. It means content is broadening and becoming smarter and more accessible. I want more of that.

And be it known that I am good friends with several stunningly beautiful women who cosplay as stunningly beautiful characters from comics, sci-fi, fantasy and other genres of fandom. They are, each of them, bone fide geeks. They belong with us. Being beautiful is not a crime.

Flaunt it if you got it – and if you're a geek, male or female, and you're strikingly handsome or stunningly beautiful, and you cosplay as a handsome or beautiful character, more power to us all. Hot geeks are hot.

What I'm talking about is the girls who have no interest or history in gaming taking nearly naked photos of themselves with game controllers draped all over their body just to play at being a "model."  I get sick of wannabes who couldn't make it as car show eye candy slapping on a Batman shirt and strutting around comic book conventions instead.

I call these girls "6 of 9". They have a superpower: In the real world, they're beauty-obsessed, frustrated wannabe models who can't get work.

They decide to put on a "hot" costume, parade around a group of boys notorious for being outcasts that don't get attention from girls, and feel like a celebrity. They're a "6" in the "real world", but when they put on a Batman shirt and head to the local fandom convention du jour, they instantly become a "9".

They're poachers. They're a pox on our culture. As a guy, I find it repugnant that, due to my interests in comic books, sci-fi, fantasy and role playing games, video games and toys, I am supposed to feel honored that a pretty girl is in my presence. It's insulting.

Is it abuse in the same vein as the harassment? Not even slightly.

Someone dressing up to feel good about themselves isn't the same as guys lobbing insults, threats, disgusting suggestions and the like at women.

Case in point: there is a website called Fat, Ugly Or Slutty that catalogs insults, harassment and verbal abuse from male gamers to females on Xbox Live. Reading through just one page of the site made me ill. The big brother in me wanted to go pound the crap out of the thirteen year olds who think it's cool or funny to demean women for sport.

Is this type of harassment is deserved? Not at all. Are guys acting this way toward women just as disgusting and base as women poaching attention from our culture, satisfying their egos by strutting around a group of guys dressed in clothing and costumes from a culture filled with men they see as beneath them? Absolutely.

I think that these things sully what is otherwise an incredible group of people and bring down a beautiful culture. I feel the same way when some guy reads about a hot comic book title sure to be a collector's item, drives up demand by buying up all of those issues and resells them on eBay for hundreds of dollars. He doesn't love the culture. He doesn't add anything to it. All he does is make scarce a resource that we want and love, in the name of profit.

I hate poachers. Pure and simple.

The growing presence of these Olivia Munn types in the geek community is creating dialog that isn't helping anyone. You've no doubt heard about a young journalist named Ryan Perez who did something stupid. Really, really stupid. He "called out" Felicia Day on Twitter, asking if she really contributes anything to geek culture other than being a celebrity.

I believe that Felicia's main drive is probably writing and acting, and that geek culture is where she chooses to exercise her talents. She's found a niche, and she works within that niche – but so have Nathan Fillion, George Takei, Wil Wheaton... All actor/writers who make the most of their geek celebrity. However, no one gets it in their blood to call these guys out. So why Felicia Day?

It's because she's a girl, and some men are disgusting. Plain and simple.

Felicia Day is not a poacher. She's a celebrity, sure. She's a pretty girl, absolutely. The fact that she chooses geeky avenues to focus those interests? That makes her a geek. The fact that she spent her own money to make a successful independent video feature centered around World of Warcraft puts her into ubergeek territory. Not only does she put her money where her interests are, she creates things that further the community.

But then, you have these models-cum-geeks like Olivia Munn and practically every FragDoll. These chicks? Not geeks. I think that their rise is due to the fact that corporations are figuring out that geeks have money, and they want it. But they can't abide putting a typically geeky face on camera, so they hire models to act quirky and sell this marketable geekdom. So, I can understand why someone completely ignorant could look at Felicia Day and see a pretty woman who is making one heck of a career starring in roles celebrating fandom, and mentally file them along with the fake geek G4 hostesses. Ryan Perez is a shoddy journalist and failed to do any research.

He knee-jerked his way into temporary internet infamy. I think he was an idiot. But I can see why he bubbled over.
There's no doubt about it – girls in geek culture have it hard, and it's probably going to be that way for a long time. At least until men stop lusting after women (so, like, never).  But that doesn't mean that women aren't welcomed and accepted in geek culture. Women elevate the culture, and thus, the content. And, I'll admit, you ladies are much nicer to be around.

However, you "6 of 9s" out there? You're just gross. There's an entire contingent of guys in geekdom who absolutely love you, because inside, they're 13 year old boys who like to objectify women and see them as nothing more than butts and a pair of boobs to be leered at. Have fun with them, and don't be shocked when they send you XBox Live messages with ASCII penises.

Those of us who actually like substance? We'll be over here celebrating great comics, great games, great art, great movies and great television, because we're actually attracted to a completely different body part: the brain.

A counterpoint from Genevieve Dempre posted here, and more from Peacock.

Posted by
Filed under: Comic-Con 2012 • Fandom
soundoff (1,036 Responses)
  1. Leucadia Bob

Check it

July 25, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  2. Leucadia Bob

July 25, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  3. Bill

Swimsuit models don't have to be swimmers. Geek models don't have to be geeks.

Don't like them at your con, don't go to their booth. Don't want other people going, picket it.

Just be sure to hire some *really* hot chick to hold your picket sign. Otherwise, nobody will read it.

July 25, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Wes

Wrong! They will be watching the hot chick–not the sign. This from a lifelong girl watcher.

July 25, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  4. Beth

I watched someone play video games once i think. im such a nerd XD

July 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  5. Chad

The editor is 310lbs. He's going to find a lot more women attractive than the average person.

July 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  6. Just0r

Labels are dumb.

July 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  7. LeeAnn

Sure, I understand the author's frustration with women seeking attention from guys; heck, it annoys me too! But what irritates me even more as a woman who has been into fandom culture since middle school–and who also happens to be tall, fit, and blonde–is that men at conventions always assume I'm some kind of geek poser simply because I don't look like what their preconceived notion of a geek girl is. I've had guys at conventions call me a sorority girl, a ringer, "not a real geek," etc. based on my appearance.

I think it goes back to the idea that women can't be both beautiful and brainy, and though I've dealt with it all my life (as a student, as a professional), it is disheartening that at a place where I should feel most at home because I can openly be my sci-fi-lovin' self, I'm instead objectified and ridiculed and told that I don't belong there either because of how I look.

I caution the men (and women!) in the audience who are ready to discount everyone who doesn't seem to outwardly fit the geek stereotype at conventions: suspend your condemnation until you get to know the person in question. Otherwise, the not judging a book by its cover mantra that pervades geek culture, especially as it relates to how people outside of geekdom judge us, becomes just lip service. And your mean-spirited comments can really put a damper on someone's convention experience. It's happened to me too many times to count.

July 25, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  8. Larry

I can sense the frustration of wanting to take the best part of 'geek' subculture and wanting to maintain a purist framework. But to be honest, who represents the purist community? Is that a real demographic? Or is the only common quality, a frustration with commercialism and all of its bi-products?

Because if so, purists should just stop participating in overly-commercial cultural activities that they feel aren't actually that cultural. Start your own convention, or meetup. Organize your own guest speakers and industry appearances. It can very easily be done. At the very least, find another cultural activity to support.

Don't turn this on women. It's not exactly their issue, at least not directly or primarily. People like having jobs and aspirations. People like to feel successful and productive. It's obviously their preogative how to go about it. There's no point in further dividing and making distinctions. It promotes in-fighting. Nobody likes to hear the, '6 of 9' reference being made. That degrades us all.

You want a culturally rich and inclusive environment? Make one. Culturally savvy people will show up, men & women. It may not have all the bells & whistles, or be a giant spectacle, but at least it would be a truer vision, rather that just an open complaint to society.

July 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  9. Johnny

Tip for the male nerds: don't fret if they pretty girls are "faking" their nerd 'credentials'. It's part of the joy of life to take advantage of any opportunity to talk to an attractive woman and see where it goes from there. You have to be crazy to complain about that.

July 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Chad

If they fake being a geek, they might even fake being female. I wouldn't talk to them because they might have a snake in their trousers. Don't waste your time with liars.

July 25, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
      • Johnny

If you have a hard time figuring out the difference, I'm gonna take a wild guess that you don't have a lot of experience.

July 25, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  10. Stephanie

Love it that you call them 6 of 9. It's my understanding that "geeky" or "nerdy" also carries a certain understanding regarding appearance. You know, pocket protectors, thick glasses, etc. How can HOT girls be geeks?

July 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • ;)

Well, if you don't understand why hot girls can be geeks, then you may never be able to "get it". Geek has nothing to do with looks, it's all about lifestyle, interests, etc. Period. If you are considering the concept of looks in your judgement, you're likely thinking of "dorks", "nerds" (if a judgement is even required, but, it will probably make you happier to be able to do so). There's a movie, Revenge of the Nerds....that's likely what you are thinking of. Mark Zuckerberg is probably more along the lines of being a dork, that is a geek. Duh lady, duh.

July 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Fromhome

You need to learn the difference between a nerd and a geek.

July 25, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  11. Marcus

Anyone who has ever been dumped on by a pretty cheeleader type girl just because of who she thinks you are, knows where this guy is coming from. There are tons of real geek girls out there that are physically beautiful, and the guys that run those booths should make an effort find them and flaunt THEIR bodies and brains as well. Great article.

July 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  12. Jamie

It's also important to remember that there are different kinds of geeks. Not everyone who likes Doctor Who also likes video games or Battlestar Galactica. Not everyone who likes Lord of the Rings also likes Dungeons and Dragons. Some people like Batman but aren't interested in super heroes in general. Yet for some reason, some geeks look down on other geeks unless they're into ALL areas of geekdom. Weird. Anyway, FYI, my Batwoman costume shows zero skin except my face and I just bought a Doctor Who lunchbox...no one else that I know personally has ever watched Doctor Who.

July 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Amy

I forced my BFF to watch Dr. Who, and now he's a massive Whovian. He even got into Torchwood with me, too. I hope you can convert some of your friends to The Whoniverse! Side note: I got the Tardis iPhone cover, but am jealous of your lunchbox :o)

July 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • FannishSunny

Jamie – generally they are the girls running their own booths!

July 25, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  13. Geek Culture full of Terrorists

Pretty girls go where the money is at.

Right now, its in Geek culture.

It pushes that onto a larger content.

July 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • ;)

Well, here's one excellent example of an ignorant generalization by one of the sheep.

July 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Whatever122

Geek Culture full of Terrorists

"But geek culture is wholey made up of adults who never have grown up. Inadequate COWARDS who at times as we've seen recently, conjure up hyper-violent, racially stereotype content."

Yes – geeks are cowards who have and continue to fight wars by developing weapons, bombs, computers, the Internet, medicine, etc...

"Geeks are losers. They will always be no matter how much money their culture produces or influences mainstream culture."

Yes – they make more money than you, influence the world more than you, and shape our technology on a daily basis. Total losers...

"This is why they PATHETICALLY point out "pretty girls" posing amongst their STUPDI GEEK cultural events.""

And why you get upset and post about how pathetic they are on a site devoted to geeks. I wonder what stupid cultural events you enjoy? I am guessing it's getting drunk (beer was invented by geeks) and watching nascar (you know... vehicles – invented by geeks – that go really fast in circles) on your big TV (invented by geeks with an image that is transmitted by geeks).

I think we know who the loser is...

July 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Buzz Mann

"Geeks are losers."....I am sure Bill Gates will be surprised to hear that.

July 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  14. Babba Fart

"disambiguate?" Twerp.

July 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  15. sam

wow....you guys are such nerds your complaining about hot girls at your stupid convention??

July 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • thecastro

He's complaining that these girls go there for attention, but still wouldn't actually date any of these geeks.

July 25, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  16. dangeroustalk

I'm a geek and I don't mind.

July 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  17. Cancer

This article was pretty spot on. I think he's wrong about the FragDolls though. Here's the thing. Collectively, both the male and female members of geek culture have benefitted from improving their own self-esteem. Not to be insulting to elder geeks, but I think collectively we just look better now. IMO geek culture shed it's nerdiness (I know I did). A geek knows that, on some level, he/she is helping to run the world. Nerds, on the other hand, were just the kids who got picked on, grew up, and then got jobs that shielded them from that kind of abuse (you can still see elder nerds like this at events like Balticon….. Please note, I mean no disrespect).

My point? As geekdom collectively improves its own self-esteem, of course its going to attract people from outside of the "geek world". Some of these people will have shallow agendas, some will not. As a culture we should be careful not to ostracize those who generally see something in the culture where perhaps they did not previously. There is space for all who wish be here, and everyone had to start somewhere. Besides, if the world needs anything right now, it's more geeks. A geek made a lightbulb, a politician/clergyman/insertwordwordhere did not.

July 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  18. NYCgirl

Ever think that these girls are being paid to be there. It's called promotional modeling. I have been doing this for years to pay off my masters degree. Yes some girls do it because they like attention, the majority of us do it to pay the damn bills because lets face it, looks pay better than my masters in social work

July 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Mike Mc

There was your first mistake, getting a masters in social work.

July 25, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • Johnny

Well seeing as how he mentions it in the article I'm going to assume he knows.

July 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  19. Kyle D.

Really? An article on how beautiful women really aren't into your video games and Marvel movies?!?! no, no, you are right. There are alot of smart people out there that need to learn they are paid to be there.

July 25, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  20. Skeletor

So your complainig about looking at pretty girls? Are you gay or something? Stop staring at Superman and go look at some boobs,sheesh,

July 25, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  21. Jim

"I'm talking about an attention addict trying to satisfy her ego and feel pretty by infiltrating a community to seek the attention of guys she wouldn't give the time of day on the street."

That's the key point of this whole article – girls who FAKE being 'geeky' just to get noticed by those she (subconsciously?) looks down on. Valid point.

July 25, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • morpeth10

Makes you wonder if they don't do it just to boost their egos... feeling superior to some 'poor, nerdy teen' perhaps? There may be a select few booth babes types who are real gamers and geeks, but not many. There's definitely a share 'it's cool to be a nerd now, so I'll pose like one' people out there - all you have to do is say something like 'kernel' or 'C++' and you can tell who's who. A lot of people think they're geeks because they USE or CONSUME some tech... just because I wear clothes doesn't make me a fashion designer or textile expert... (hey, that's pretty catchy, I'm gonna have to keep that!)

July 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  22. morpeth10

I actually think he has some valid points. I'm a bit older than the target audience of a lot of booth babe types, but I'd rather see a woman who's ACTUALLY into gaming, comics, tech etc at a tech show than some 20-something poser with fake boobs. Sure it's nice to see pretty women at a Con, but not if she's annoyed to be there and isn't a real geek/gamer. Which is why other than Morgan Webb, who's an actual gamer, and Blair Butler, a true comic aficionado - I frickin' can't stand the women on G4TV (ditzy Candace Bailey, the vacuous artificial Sara Underwood or the obnoxious Alex Sim-Wise)... I don't need some airhead eye candy reading from a teleprompter, get someone who actually UNDERSTANDS and LIKES gaming and tech to host.

July 25, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  23. STEVE AND PEANUTS THE SQUIRREL

GEEK PHONY BABES+WEANNA BE MODELS:, FROM CNN TODAY:"RIGHT ON. TOOK WORDS STRAIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH..WORTHLESS POUNDS OF FLESH..TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS..MY "WIFE" NEVER "STOOPED" THIS LOW.."STEVE AND PEANUTS THE SQUIRREL"..LOOK US UP ON "GOOGLE BLOG BLAZER".. GOOGLE LIKES US, GLOBAL REACH, REALLY ROCKING INSIGHTS. WITH THIS ADDITION : VIVA " NATURALISTACAS", " BOO ON "PLASTICAS".. JUST AIR BAGS THAT NEED DEFLATING....LOL"

July 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  24. Do Your Research

I was very in tune with this message until you reached the part about the Frag Dolls. It is very unfortunate for you that you chose to call them out as not being fellow "geeks." If you did any sort of fundamental research (or actually met one of them), you would know now that you misrepresented them. This error on your part basically discredits your entire article. Unfortunate for you as a writer.

July 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
  25. angryblackman

yeah they are posers. Been that way with every cool culture. White boys rapping? for real...but then the beastie boys werent that bad and M&M is pretty good...blacks singing Country western? for real...well I cant name em but I know there are some damn good black country western singers...and so on...this overflows into the actual cultures as well. Yes there are girl geeks. No they are not all lookers (though most are cute enough in their own way). Do i believe that these barbie doll hotties are actually geeks? no. Do i believe they are hanging around geeks for any reason other than money? no. The all mighty dollar is the bottom line. So I say to all geeks out there take advantage of them They wouldnt give you time of day in real life or outside of the convention unless you are making loot but hey every chance you get put them in their place.

July 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • Joeythefixer

Black Country Musician: Charlie Pride (good singer at that)

July 25, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
  26. keltari

Unless you dress up as a power puff girl every day, then you are no better then these supposed "posers".

July 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • cyberhackster

They're all just semen receptacles anyway....

July 25, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  27. Mary

I'm a girl and I've been a geek my whole life...I still find this article irritating. Mainly because geeky girls feel somewhat (or did, back in the day I was the only girl I knew who liked Star Trek) intimidated or shy about expressing their geekdom to begin with. Now you're saying if we don't express our geekdom in the "right" way we don't belong? How ironic...a geek telling me I don't belong. Did I feel shy about expressing my geekiness? For a while, you bet, until I went the other way and just decided to go all out. And that included revealing baby tees with my favorite characters as my way of saying "f you" to all the people who wanted to stereotype the kind of stuff I should be into or doing (because, yes I was into makeup and fashion too, but also into sci fi). You are kind of doing the same thing here in this article...telling us geeky girls "how" to be geeky. Why is it only okay if a pretty girl dresses up as her favorite character? Maybe I want to be geeky and do it on my own terms. Whatever the intention by writing this article, I highly doubt geeky girls want any extra attention and would rather people just leave them alone for their sci fi affinity. Pointing it out only serves to alienate once again.

July 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Rob

there is women out there who like star trek? Where does this heaven exist?

July 25, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
      • Jenna

New Jersey, Rob. New Jersey ;)

July 25, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
      • Yoahn

LOL!! Dating for geeks.....hmm which Star Trek?

July 25, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
      • Fantasia

You really must be living in a hole. I have watched ST my entire life and I know more females who watch it than males.

July 25, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
      • lakitha

There's plenty of Ladies, (it's been a while since I was a girl), out there who like Trek, and always have. Some of us are even in Color. ; – )

July 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Jennifer Smith

From Mary: "You are kind of doing the same thing here in this article...telling us geeky girls "how" to be geeky. Why is it only okay if a pretty girl dresses up as her favorite character? Maybe I want to be geeky and do it on my own terms."

I don't think that the article stated anywhere that only "pretty girls" should dress up – in fact, the author seemed to lean more in the direction of NOT having pretty girls dress up. That was the point. There are (in his experience) many girls who dress up NOT because they love the characters, read the comics, watch the movies, or talk about it with their friends, but ONLY because they know that they will get attention if they dress up in the right location.

I also don't think he's telling anyone how to be a geek, only that poseurs, moochers, and "poachers" need not apply (male or female). He's saying that if a person doesn't like/consume the content of the culture, then they shouldn't bother showing up. It's not their interest – why are they there? If the person is there to suck down attention and feed their ego, then that's lame. I agree.

If a gorgeous woman goes all out with an amazing costume from a SHOW THAT SHE LOVES and she turns heads and loves the attention, then fine.

July 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
  28. Vinny

I don't see anything wrong with visual stimuli.

July 25, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Steve Lyons

Think of them as walking talking video "game".
      If they want to be "prey" accommodate them.
      Just don't harass or denigrate them.

July 25, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  29. Kai Charles

The only problem I have with this article is individuals who think they have the right to decide who is geeky "enough" and who isn't. I've been into geeky things for a long time and never have seen this level of judgement. I get it, truly! I've lived with the last 4 years of SDCC being invaded by Twilight fans and this year noticing a lot of girls trolling the booths for free stuff and wearing T-shirts of characters they no nothing about.

The geek genre is expanding and changing, the fringe fans will come and go, it's best to focus on people you feel a genuine connection with and ignore the rest

July 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  30. Craig

Hot chicks in skimpy skirts can fake being geeks if they want!!!
    What's wrong with you guys?

July 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  31. Let Em Bee

It seems like Mr. Judgypants here needs a little therapy. Boy's got issues.

July 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  32. majick727

The imposters are there because they have nothing better to do. Techies, Dr's and Lawyers are rising to the top of the middle class income pyramid while the entrepeneur and small business owner is disappearing. Dr.'s don't expect their 20yo wives to know what they do and get along just fine.

July 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  33. Roberto

These are the same girls that wear fake glasses to look nerdy because nerdy is cool "this season". These people buy the lamest looking glasses ever made. I'm talking about the 1980's worst spectacles. This is so they can achieve some level of geek street-cred'. It is insulting to all of us who need glasses or we'll run into shi...stuff.

The author lost sight of his point and started roasting men for objectifying women. uggh. He should have stuck to the topic of weeding fakers out of the community. Point out how to spot them, why their so fake, what they don't understand about truly "letting your geek flag fly" (worst saying... ever), and how to get rid of them in funny ways.

I'm not too proud to admit I don't know anything about Felicia Day or Olivia Munn. I don't have to follow geek culture to know I'm a geek. Half the people, not just women, who go to these gatherings only like the spectacle of cool games and hobbies. Comic-Con, like anything else that gets too big, stopped being about the craft a long time ago. These fake attendees don't know their dumb just like every putz with a twitter account that thinks they're deeply into high technology.

Getting back to his boring, secondary point "men are pigs". Yep.

July 25, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Beavis

You've proven you are not a geek by showing you don't know the difference between "they're" and "their".

July 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
      • Roberto

You got me. I got one out of two right in the same sentence. They're tricky words to get right. I should fire my editor. Thanks for ticket, Officer.

July 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  34. jt

While I agree she's not a geek, you peeps are not really fair to Olivia Munn. She's not a geek, she's cool and kinda dorky. She is legitimately funny and far more talented than many "big" actresses. She's in the next Broken Lizard movie, which scores her a few more points too...She was really clever as a host on G4. She's sorta the smart, talented, cool Megan Fox. Or she's like the new brunette Malin Ackerman (hot blonde who is legitimately funny, but dorky..see cult favorite Children's Hospital etc...)

July 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  35. John

Felicia day is neither a Celebrity nor pretty. She's a flash in the pan precisely because she's a girl. I don't doubt that she's a geek celebrity, but because she's one in a few women doing the WoW or other geeky stuff, she's instantly #1. It's unfortunate that SHE gets to be the face of Girl Geekdom.

July 25, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • anxietyjunkie

You obviously know nothing about Felicia. Try checking out her youtube channel Geek and Sundry; you just might change your mind.

July 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  36. Tootles

Great article. You can easily tell the fakers and they should be gone.

July 25, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  37. specialplaces

Ironically enough, this article would NEVER be on CNN.COM unless it was mainstream enough to be on here. Who do you think helps to make it mainstream? Hmmm?

July 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  38. Brandon H.

Ummm... Who hurt you?

July 25, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  39. yeahitsMe72

I think everyone is just trying to find their place in the world. I don't know why your so angry at these women. They aren't writing ranting articles about how geeks should just go away. Just because the reason your there is not the reason they are there doesn't mean they need to leave. Get some perspective.

July 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  40. GodfatherofSoul

Agree with the basic sentiment of the article, but I'm more annoyed with the Olivia Munn types. I bet she couldn't wait to wash the stink of geek off her after she started landing mainstream gigs.

As for booth babes, my only criticism is that they completely outshine the legit geek girls who show up to the conventions out of the love of it. They can't compete with a swimsuit model in a professionally-tailored getup.

July 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • nodoubt

I wandered in here by mistake but so many interesting comments. I agree, if I were Olivia Munn, a booth girl, or just an 'average' female visitor wearing a batman t-shirt, I'd have to be washing the geek stink off of me as soon as I left their gamer/comic book conventions. Pretty mean group of people making sweeping judgments about others they do not even know.

I haven't seen anyone here describing the qualifications for 'acceptable' male geekdom. Odd.

July 25, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Chris

Two things geeks hate: non-geeks and attractive women (who ignore them). So its natural that this author hates the combination of the two. He just comes off as bitter.

July 25, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • R R

We have a winner!

July 25, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  42. GamerG

HE MAD

July 25, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  43. Dave C

While I get the premise behind the rant, the author I think is off the mark. The problem isn't the booth babes, it is the subset of geek guys who respond to the booth babes like idiots at best, total pigs at worst. Removing the booth babes won't change those guys. Perhaps they won't feel as much desire to go to a convention without booth babes, thereby improving the image of geek culture some, but it still will not change their basic nature.

We can only be responsible for our own actions and behaviors. Go to conventions, either ignore the booth babes if you are offended, or treat them with the respect and dignity you would hope they treat you with at the sports bar, and then spend most of your time finding the real geeks, whether male or female, and have fun.

July 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  44. JP

The one on the right. I'd tap that.

July 25, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • PJ

I'd tap 'em both. Heh heh, aren't we studly.

July 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  45. Puddin_Pie

Thank you.

July 25, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  46. specialplaces

Here's the problem with the argument: The author, and the author alone, is setting the fine line between being fake and being genuine. It's not reasonable for a 3rd person to sit there and say, "She's fake, she's fake, he's fake....she's ok, but he's fake..." This guy clearly sounds frustrated, but my guess is that he is frustrated with something other than this topic.
    The point is that 3rd parties CANNOT tell what another man or woman is thinking. This guy acts like he knows what people's intentions are, and there's just no credibility in any of this. To sit and pretend that you know who is who and who is doing what and who is trusting and who is fake is ridiculous. Leave it alone. You should be happy that the culture is becoming more mainstream. It's good to know that it is, because that means we are slowly seeing more movies, more games, more characters come into existence. Yes, that of course means advertising and modeling and the like, but it's part of the process. Regardless of any of this, YOU do not have the power to understand other peoples' incentives or wishes or desires. You cannot tell me that this girl is fake....only this girl can tell us if she is fake. We can all have our thoughts, but for this author to dwell on it like he does when he rants in this article tells me he thinks he knows strangers better than they know themselves, or even at least as well as they know themselves.
    Shame on the author here.

July 25, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • Simone R

So very well said. Thank you.
      Shame on the author indeed. He strikes me as one of those so-called NiceGuysTM.
      You're exactly right that he had no way of knowing, but he felt free to be as nasty and insulting as he wanted.

July 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
      • Phades

Has it never occured to you, that these models tend to have different badges than the regular patrons and that it is painfully obvious to spot in many instances if you bother to look somewhere other than the T&A? Where if you actually attempt normal conversation with them beyond "take a picture with me" you get one of the following: 1) a deer in the headlights look dumbfounded as to what you are saying almost implying they speak a different language entirely. 2) Feign that they can't hear you or are too busy. 3) Direct you to the product their employer is attempting to sell, or a sales rep from that employer. 4) (and this is the rare one) If you know anything about related acting jobs.

Please note, while female individuals dominate this aspect (hence the term booth babes), you will come across their male counterparts too. In most instances wearing less clothing than the female versions (because even if the costume/character doesn't warrant it, they still have to show off how well they have managed their physique). Beyond this, both get a pass on the dress code restrictions in place at the conventions themsevels where a regular person would get sent back to change or their badge revoked. These individuals frequent most all of the events of any genre and they do the same thing over and over. If you pay attention, you could keep score at which ones get around the most. If you are really fortunate, you might get refered to their social media site shocasing their other head and body shots in order to generate more implied interest through page hits.

In short, you assume far too much. The concept isn't any different than the gag in the 80-90s regarding the airhead weather girl.

July 25, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
      • Ya...No

Simone,

Of course you can tell what's in someone else's head. If you actually pay attention to the content of what people say, it's easy to tell a poser from someone who's legitimately passionate about geek culture. Only someone lacking in that ability would believe otherwise (and yes, that's a roundabout way of explaining that you're not smart enough to understand).

Writing him off by attacking the author's character doesn't validate your disagreement with him.

To specialplaces's real point though, you're dead on correct that this is part of the process of a culture becoming "mainstream". There's advantages and disadvantages to that for certain. However what the author is trying to convey is that people who just "join the bandwagon" without adding any value to it are what we need to keep an eye open for (male OR female). Yes, he delivers that message with a healthy dose of self-defensiveness, but that's only to be expected when he sees something he loves being potentially corrupted by people who, frankly, are without value and should be excluded before they have a negative impact on what studios believe content creators should produce.

July 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
  47. Ken

These 6 of 9 girls you're talking about are everywhere thanks to social networking – check the Chive if you want to see them in their prime (no doubt culeld from other websites where these girls can flaunt themselves shamelessly)

July 25, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
  48. mobrule

nerd!

July 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  49. Lynn Wiberg

"Don't worry, I think lots of women are 'legitimate geeks', so it's OK if I marginalize and stereotype lots of them. That way it's not misogynistic at all."

I don't even know where to start with how stupid this all is.

July 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Cameron

Probably at a convention in a Batman shirt, judging by how mad you are.

July 25, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
      • Lynn Wiberg

Nope, just can't stand the misogyny. Also, despite my name, I am man, hear me roar.

July 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  50. Name

Can't you just enjoy the view ant STFU?

July 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • jd

They're geeks, bro. They're more interested in misplaced pride than hot girls.

July 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
      • jdyousuck

You just don't get it, "BRO". We want a girl with a soul. You brutes mock us because we don't immediately want physicality. You put us down and pity us for not going for the obvious. You don't get it, and you won't be happy until you grow out of your frat boy philosophy. We want personality. I would take personality over looks any day. Looks are a distant second. You mock us because we pass on superficial bimbos and search for women with substance. You say we're nerds in a basement, but you are the one willing to pounce on any hot thing that moves. Which one of us is desperate again?

July 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
      • JD

Well name calling is very mature and not 'frat boy' at all, right? Who says pretty girls have no personality? You, I guess. Keep telling yourself that in a desperate attempt to justify your fear of talking to beautiful women. I'm quite happy, so you can put away that assumption too. I never said you're nerds in a basement. It appears your pathetic internet rage has blinded you or stoked your delusion. And you, you would be the desperate one since you've spent over a paragraph rationalizing the fact that you've probably never spoken to a woman you find physically attractive. Some hot girls are pretty nerdy but it seems you don't want to give them a chance... because they're hot which makes you seem like a sanctimonious bigot. Not talking to hot girls, OMG that's so 1337!

July 25, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  51. John

Is the age of helium queens over?

July 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  52. neilgcnd

Are the women you refer to ComicCon attendees or are they models hired to work the conference? Most trade shows and conferences hire attractive local talent to work the booths. For example, I used to go to the NAB conference every year (National Association of Broadcasters) and there were always attractive women at the booths. These women were not broadcast engineers, they were models hired to draw attention to specific booths. Getting upset because a pretty woman working at ComicCon is not a geek makes no more sense then getting upset that a pretty girl at NAB is not a broadcast engineer.

July 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  53. Derp

What!!??? Only one picture????

July 25, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
  54. Coolleen

The author of this article is looking for genuine people to connect with and who do not try to insult his intelligence.

July 25, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • Ken

Hear hear!

July 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  55. Penny

This piece is wrong on so many levels. Despite it's good intentions it comes off as another instance of community policing ("ethical cleansing"). And since when does"female" anywhere, geek or wherever, need to be qualified or justified by "pretty" or "stunning?" There is no monolithic experience of geekhood and these concerns are best handled at the relational level. So let the individual or the clique decide and speak for themselves.

July 25, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  56. Heather

LOVE the G4 girls comment from the writer!!! HAHAHA!!! So true. My daughter is a gamer.. Combat Arms, Call of Duty, D&D online... She is also gorgeous.. She would not be caught dead in those skimpy outfits.. She likes jeans and t-shirts that say “Pwned”, “Portal 2”, “NOOB Slayer”, etc. Jeans and T’s seem to be most “real” gamer girls choice of clothing.

July 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  57. MRK

Who would have ever imagined that being a geek-girl would be something that the "popular, pretty" girls would want to emulate...

July 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
  58. pedro

All people are beautiful. Our capitalist system made us believe that we are not, to make us go shopping, or to the Gym, or to barbershop, etc.
    The positive of this, is this creates jobs. The negative is, this makes people to create communities. The "geek", the "shallows", the "rednecks". etc.

July 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
  59. BabyCakes

As long as the fake geek girls have no gag reflex and wear knee pads, it's all ok with me.

July 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Charles

NOT OK with me. I like women to have a brain and sincere interest.

July 25, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  60. Sanji

Something similar happens at my school. Some girls will claim to be nerds or geeks to appear quirky and gain self-esteem. They go on and on to people about how socially awkward they are, while I, a real geek, am genuinely not talking to people. It annoys me.

July 25, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  61. wowdude

Let's see... I'm forty-something, single, well educated and would never send an ASCii of a penis to a woman. I also think that women are programmed to flaunt it. In fact, women work really hard to be noticed, and look hot. I also tend to like a lot of geek stuff... At least the sci-fi stuff anyway. I have no problem with shallow women looking for attention. I love them as much as the smart ones who get my attention with their brains. Why so hateful? I appreciate a woman who wants to turn me on. Even if she has no intention of hooking up. It's fun stuff... on the beach... in a business meeting... or at a convention. Women rock.

July 25, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • CRUNCH

I hate to break it to you, but you're a tool.

July 25, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
      • Metalhead Falconer

I lol'd! XD

July 25, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
      • buster

I was thinking the same thing.

July 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
      • wowdude

Perhaps... But if living the life I live is being a tool, well then, I'm a tool, Crunchy... and women still rock... all of 'em.

July 25, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
  62. Theshag

I can't believe this argument keeps coming up. What a load of garbage. It amazes me that a culture that prides itself on inclusiveness continues to denigrate women who through hard work or genetics are "attractive." You see this crap constantly; where does a blogger get off telling a model that her work isn't valid. Its a profession, and if you have a real problem with it, stop buying from companies that hire these women.

In the meantime, drop this geek elitism nonsense. If "geek culture" was truly above being manipulated by "beauty-obsessed, frustrated wannabe models who can't get work" then they wouldn't keep getting hired.

July 25, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • helennasantoslevy

agreed! ;)

July 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Cameron

So because the majority of the scene (like the majority of EVERY scene) is full of idiots who will buy anything corporations tell them to as long as a hot girl is selling it or it has enough guns on the cover means that those of us who are smart enough to see what's happening shouldn't be allowed to complain about it?

July 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
      • Mary

Here's an idea Cameron: Why not DO something about it instead of complain, especially when you know it will just fall on deaf ears? Words are wind...

July 25, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • Mary

Amen!!!!!

July 25, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  63. Norm

Oh boy....I would ask the geeks if they want hot chicks around before you rain on the parade.
    I'm betting that no one really cares who they are or what they're doing there as long as they're hot and wear the skimpy outfits.
    Unless of course you're gay...."Not that there's anything wrong with that" (Seinfeld)
    Well maybe there is if you're trying to scare away our hot chicks........

July 25, 2012 at 11:48 am |
  64. doug

If you are for sale then don't complain about being treated like an object. This is true of guys these days too, I know a guy who doesn't work, games all day long, and his 45 year old ceo suger mama buys him anything he wants.

July 25, 2012 at 11:43 am |
  65. ringerlady

I quite enjoyed this article. Thank you.

July 25, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  66. Bob

I get that this guy hates Olivia Munn and Ryan Perez, and likes Felicia Day

July 25, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • situationalawareness

Olivia Munn is a geek, that's the difference. She has a bit of street cred, at least.

July 25, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  67. Brian

Proceed with caution if you're a geek. These women know that you have the potential to acquire a high paying job. They'll hook you, spend your money, have a child with you, then leave you for someone else who is better looking and not so strange. She will also take your kid–All she needs is a fierce divorce lawyer and you're done. She'll milk you for every penny you have. My advice to you is to stick with the highly intelligent female geeks and leave the lazy bimbos behind.

July 25, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Brian

By the way, there are pretty female geeks, just not very many.

July 25, 2012 at 11:41 am |
      • Roofus

Does that make them a hot commodity?

July 25, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
      • Rindell

BTW, there are hot male geeks, just not very many.

July 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • doug

I say use them since they are trying to use you you shouldn't feel bad about it. You just have to be careful, always use your own condom, these girls purposely have condoms with holes poked in them.

When they cry or show feeling just remember that it is fake, they are subhuman, they don't feel they only take, no matter how great it is, don't lose sight of that, ever!

July 25, 2012 at 11:46 am |
      • knucklecheese

Hear-hear!

Good advice for life in general. Don't move in with them. Don't marry them. And for God's sake DON'T get them pregnant! Eventually she'll figure out her con isn't working and leave. Good riddance. If you followed the preceding advice, all you have to do is move on to the next one. Enjoy!

July 25, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
      • Wow

Wow, you guys are planning on being single forever, eh? That's a pretty negative mindset. Not all women are out to get you.

July 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
      • doug

You are correct wow, and while there are many guys who like those girls, I'm not attracted to females who have been banned from the all you can eat buffet.

Just joking but seriously if you accept the gay lifestyle then accept what I was born with. It is called SDS, or selective dating syndrom, I find maybe 5% of the female population attractive, that means that just 2.5% of the population is even dateable before I get to meet them and know what type of person they are.

I dont cry about how I was born, I do the best I can. I'm very jealous of my friends who can spell and take home almost anything and be happy, no matter how much I drink they just don't start looking better, a curse I don't wish upon my greatest enemy.

July 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Squeezebox

The best way for a geek to meet geeky girls is at a fan club meeting. The 6 of 9's wouldn't think to troll there. Plus you get to see how smart your potential girlfriend really is at the after chapter activity.

July 25, 2012 at 11:58 am |
      • doug

Sit in VIP at the club, and almost every girl there is anything you want her to be. They assume you have money, then when they find out you don't they act like you lied or decieved them even if you never bring up your financial situation.

July 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • Please

wow, these comments actually do show how dorky you guys are...you really DO watch too much TV.

July 25, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  68. Nope

Convention hosts could solve this problem by simply forbidding anyone from hiring models/actors for booths/endorsements and if they keep on hiring them, then deny them space at the convention. Problem solved. Granted there would be a lot less "eye candy," but then you would have far fewer "fake geeks" at conventions.

July 25, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • Dockboy

The Penny Arcade Expo has been doing this for at least 4 years now. They have explicit rules that forbid "booth babes" in the expo hall of PAX. The "booth babes" still get in, but they are always dealt with quickly by organizers. I have attended many PAX events and I can confidently say I am happier that there are no "booth babes" at the show. We have the games, we have the people, we have the fun. That is all we need.

July 25, 2012 at 11:49 am |
      • Metalhead Falconer

Love this. <3

July 25, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  69. Phil

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you're an idiot. Hot chicks being hot chicks is what makes this country great. I've been married for 24 long, agonizing years. If it wasn't for hot young chicks walking around in basically little to no clothing, I would've killed myself 14 years ago. So take your faux-nerdrage back to your moms basement and toss us old farts a bone.

July 25, 2012 at 11:32 am |
    • lilgtogirl

No offense Phil, but I am sure your wife is not thrilled with being stuck with such a loser. If you hate your life, you did it, so fix it. Keep your pathetic ideology to yourself though. Those of us single, with abilities to have a life, don't care about your waste of life issues. Do the rest of us, and especially your wife, a favor and kill yourself.

July 25, 2012 at 11:40 am |
      • NinjaJedi

Great comment!

July 25, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Kerovan

While I loved your post, very funny, I only have one thing to add.
      Dude, you picked her.

July 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • sadlysensible

Give your wife the freedom she needs to find someone who cares about her and makes her happy. With some therapy and your freedom from an unhappy marriage you might also find happiness. I wish you the best of luck.

July 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • Valerie

Do your wife a favor and divorce her. It's a marriage, and you are 50% is the problem.

July 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  70. Christopher

This article is the female equivalent of the "poor nice guy" lamenting that girls never give him the attention he deserves. "Fake" geek girls? Who are you to decide that? You're just reinforcing the harmful stereotype that any woman who acts or dresses a certain way is just "doing it for attention." I have a better idea - how about we let people behave and dress however they feel comfortable? The last thing we need is more dumbfoundingly misguided geek elitism.

July 25, 2012 at 11:32 am |
    • helennasantoslevy

amen!!!!

July 25, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • Phades

Spoken as someone who has never been to those types of gatherings and is simply reacting on feeling, rather than thinking, about the subject at hand and performing research.

Most of the individuals the author references are painfully obvious to spot and it is not that difficult to tell the difference between them and fans to paid to get into the venue.

July 25, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  71. Ryan in Texas

Does not wanting good looking women at your comic convention make you a geek, or just g a y?
    This guy has a problem with women dressing in skimpy costumes because they are not "geeky" enough?
    As a Geek, I can tell you this is absurd. Watch Revenge of the Nerds again. You don't take a pass on a good looking woman because they don't play videogames. Ever. This guy is either g a y or an idiot. Bring on the free eye candy. It's why we geeks invented the internet – to see the ladies.

July 25, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • Steve Lyons

GOD bless the Renaissance Festivals....

We all love a good Broad-Sword

July 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  72. E

Some of this article is good and other parts are a little fuzzy, but I get what the author is saying. It's not the models who are out there making money that are the problem, it's not their fault someone wants to pay them to walk around in a Storm or Black Widow costume. It's the ones who are out there solely for their own satisfaction. To have a bunch of geeks who wouldn't pay much attention to them on the street, pine over them and think they actually have a legitimate shot at someone like her. Or maybe the ones who act like they are interested in the culture simply to feel accepted and wanted. I think the article is basically a venting towards anyone who acts like part of a group just for attention. I am very diverse and have experienced the pleasure of being accepted in many different groups, but I have to agree with a few of the people who have commented, why on earth do we have to classify ourselves into groups in the first place?

July 25, 2012 at 11:30 am |
  73. mackmm

So basically another opinion piece from CNN? The Issue seemed to be of great debate last year during the major conventions around the country NYCC, SDCC, Heroes. I myself being a novice webcomic artist and have attended about 30 conventions some large most local. I do relate to both sides of the issue but not because of my looks. Many ladies and girls were upset because they felt that the Geek community was not giving them the right credibility to be labeled a geek and or nerd. Many bloggers fired at MTV.com, G4, & flavor of the month websites for their correspondents being eye candy and fake. It was one of the biggest convention non issues, a big deal about really nothing. Now before I get hit with the flames let me explain. There are plenty of legitimate issues that should be addressed at any given convention, that often go overlooked, crowd control, ticket price, organizers treatment of the artists and vendors, gropers, and Cosplay inaccuracies. But everyone seems try get all worked up because the pretty girls are either not getting enough attention, getting too much attention, or not the right type of attention. Much of the eye candy stands in the middle of the internet and screams how come I am not getting the props for being a nerd or geek? I can pretty much say as someone who was deemed a nerd goes against what a nerd actually is. Most nerds and geeks have been called that as a derogatory label at some point in their lifetime. l like many other nerds and geeks have come to an inner zen and accepted who they are. They rejoice in the industries and within their comic book shops. To proclaim your geekdom to the world and demand validity for it pretty much tells the world you are in it for other reasons than just enjoying the medium. Most of the time you are trying to sell something, yourself, your website, a product, a webcomic (This is how I relate). Personally speaking it's not about the way you look or how hot you are, it's really about being a poser that's where the anger comes in (many times uncalled for) Attacking the way you look is just an easy target. "Oh she's hot she can't call herself a nerd." On the flip side of the debate, judging someone by what they look is EXACTLY what our community shouldn't do. It is the very thing that defines us as a community. So to name call or critique someone on anything other than their work is being incredibly hypocritical. There is nothing wrong with enjoying geeky things, and if someone who is not you likes those things too, it should be a way to bring you closer not repel you. Finally if the way someone looks concerns you, ask yourself in most of the movies and television shows you hold so close to your hearts, how many overweight, physically unattractive actors are cast to play the heroes? How many are cast to play the villains? Shift your focus my fellow geeks, and read Area 51 comics (plug)

July 25, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • mackmm

I'm not a good proofreader :P

July 25, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • dhondi

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

July 25, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • Foodpimp

I stopped reading after "So".

July 25, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  74. Isma

This seems like the wrong message, let's encourage women to come to these things. i have not gone to Comic-Con but i do go to MegaCon and the costumes are the thing i enjoy the most. We are not a special club, and anyone should be able to come, and if they happen to be almost naked, that's a win for everyone.

July 25, 2012 at 11:26 am |
  75. Journey

You think these chicks are hot you ought to see what the Wall Street types that own these industries are dating.

July 25, 2012 at 11:26 am |
  76. Tara

On a sort of related note, I'm a guitarist (woman) who similarly gets annoyed at models in guitar magazines who are half-naked, holding a guitar that they clearly have no idea how to play(because they have long nails and are holding the guitar wrong). I never see male "model" holding a guitar for an ad. The men are always actual guitarists. There are plenty of female guitarists and it's disgusting that advertisers can't get a real female guitar player to be in their ads. They go for the eye candy. I think this is an insult to both women and men.

July 25, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • E

I agree. Now Susanna Hoffs holding a guitar, I can totally live with! :-) This problem exists in all industries. Hell, they have actresses playing cheerleaders in movies when those actresses haven't cheered in their lives. I am not in the practice of defending cheerleaders, but I could see how that may irk them as well...

July 25, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  77. Bill S

WOW! If the intellectual (?) power of this thread could be put to positive change–instead of whining–just imagine what good might come from it!

July 25, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • Blue Villarreal

Yeah...lol...I tried..down there.....

July 25, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • Phades

You do understand that the ultimate conclusion of your implied positive thinking would be to stop being a consumer, thus attracting those to leech off that individual (in various forms) right? Since you can't force others to conform to your own idealism in public, therein lies your own paradox.

It goes to the old act of giving women a free pass into bars and clubs, or other incentives to have them there, because it draws more men who have deep pockets to come and spend money. Ultimately all parties involved are being used, just some more than others and the "complainers" aren't the ones who are in control of the situation.

July 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  78. citizenUSA

Hot chicks are hot chicks, geeks/nerds or not. Why complain? Is it any less srupulous than most other advertising campaigns? I have seen some geek chicks that looked OK as normal but stick 'em in a Catwoman outfit and yeah, you get an instant 9. Some of these nerd girls have super rockin' bodies. I guess I'm just as shallow as these event promoters. Guys see women every day that they can't have so what's one more day at something like ComiCon. And really, most of the guys are looking for the exclusive Star Wars figure anyway and they don't care much about anything else.

July 25, 2012 at 11:22 am |
  79. Roscoe Chait

Somewhere in the middle of this rant, Joe lost his train of thought. Maybe the idea of a beautiful girl was just too much for him, and he became mucho distracted.

July 25, 2012 at 11:21 am |
  80. Dark Soul

Real geeks don't care about any of this. Sure, Comic-Con is cool and all but most "geeks" will never get there. The geek's magic happens in the local comic book shop, behind closed doors grinding Diablo III, etc.

July 25, 2012 at 11:18 am |
  81. forcechoke'em

Great article, couldn't agree more. Love Felicia Day too, The Guild is amazing! This has finally been publicized enough that these girls are looked at as jokes, finally, although a good deal of gawking still goes on ;)

July 25, 2012 at 11:16 am |
  82. mowse

look at all these e knights in here xD

July 25, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  83. history bear

and oh yeah, a 6 isn't a beauty, she's a nice , a beauty starts at 7.5 and goes up. Victoria's Angels are 9.5's(little skinny in the flanks), the two up on top are 8.0

July 25, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • lewax00

You call those 8's? You need to get out more.

July 25, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  84. DontPretend

Sounds to me like this guy is gay. I know nerds are afraid of pretty girls because of all of the teasing humiliation that they have undoubtedly put you through, but, hey, at least you get to look at an actual real-life, human girl for a change. ComicCon will be over shortly, and you can go back to drooling over anime once it has finished.

July 25, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • cedar rapids

yeah, you arent even close to getting it or knowing what you are talking about.

July 25, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  85. Blue Villarreal

This article was a double edge sword. I grew up watching star trek with my dad, playing video games, collecting comic books. I branched into most fields of nerdness..When I go to a convention and a girl is wearing an outfit she cant define where it came from,
    (she googled cosplay and it looked cute) its a little sad, but as a woman I feel she has the right to do anything she wants. I take pride knowing that, yes indeed I am a geek at heart and thats good enough for me. I won't waste time condemning others for being a part of what I take interest in because everyone starts somewhere and maybe from not being "serious" about it, they fall into it. The double edge sword comes in when I am questioned. Yes, Im female. I don't like being told I must be hidious or overweight because I'm on Xboxlive and happen to be female...I chalk it up to, I happen to be female and I just wiped the floor with your "male/female" ass..and like someone said up there ^^ haters gonna hate..lol Yet, when Im at a convention..and my appearance might not be what some "expect" then i must be a idiot just trying to look "hot" and a "poser". Over all the moral of this story is to each is own..Everyone has the right to do/like whatever they want. I won't hate on the females who know nothing of geekdom just as I wouldn't hate on a geek for choosing that culture to live by. What "real geeks" should take solace in is thatwhether someone else dresses up or not, or knows/doesnt know this or that...YOU"RE A GEEK. YOU KNOW. YOU"RE YOU..and there are others out there that are just like you too..=blue

July 25, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Phades

Pretend that you are a man for a moment, while performing all the same actions and rituals that you normally partake of at a convention (i'm guessing primarially shopping, with a few panels and perhaps watching cosplay skits or fanmade anime mashups or game rooms).

Now in this brief moment, compare yourself and how you act to Man Faye. Then realize the difference between going out and just enjoying yourself and attention whoring. This is the point being brought up, not gender and gender bias.

July 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  86. history bear

If those two pictured are "fake" geek girls and you can say not to them, then you are gay- which is ok, but most geeks and nerds can't get close to hotties like those two. Give it a rest, look at the art in your games and tell me that the artist have any real appreciation for real women.

July 25, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • Unsub

Holy smokes these chicks above are NOT hot. You must have been referring to yourself for not being able to get close to good looking women if you think these are "hotties".

July 25, 2012 at 11:29 am |
  87. Thad

I hate to say it man, but you're behind the times. "Geek" is cool now. This is for men and women. For some time now, video games, comics, and skateboards have been as hip as cheerleading, football, and pop music. So, those girls you are frustrated with are no more out of place than the hip-geeks they're trying to impress. The real geeks are where they've always been: in the library or getting beat up by tough guys in nerdy glasses and vintage clothes.

July 25, 2012 at 11:06 am |
  88. NOT MY CHAIR

what an arrogant rant! i am sure he knows everything about these girls. it just sounds like he was shot down way to many times while using the pick up line who do you think would win in a fight batman or spawn? get over your pathetic self and realize that its not that they aren't into comics they are not into a 310 lbs cross dressing power puff girl. every body is there to have a good time stop being the stick in the mud. also the picture and the comment is ridiculous ITS A PARTY WHO WANTS COMICS AT A PARTY? oh great party its a shame everyone is sitting around reading. the pompousness and arrogance of some geeks really gets to me. you dont know who spiderman punched on page 12 in issue #24? and you say you like comics. get over your self

July 25, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • NeckStomp

Is this not the reason to skip Comic-Con and go to the next AVN awards, instead? Get all the pretense out of the way.

July 25, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  89. L Jack

Hot girls looking for attention? Happens everywhere, not just ComicCon. Get over it. This is not news.

July 25, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • NOT MY CHAIR

its not news its a really bad arrogant opinion rant. it just goes to show you just because you can your self a writer and a geek doesn't mean you are smart or well spoken

July 25, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  90. Haha

OP is a phaggot. Quit being a foreveralone virgin white knight.

July 25, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • miscbro

aware

July 25, 2012 at 11:10 am |
  91. Breanna

Nothing turns me off more than a person pandering to me. Not just in the case of physical attraction, but politicians, musicians, actors, and what-have-you.

July 25, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • Metalhead Falconer

It's like salesmen... I KNOW exactly what your intentions are, and they are not necessarily in my best interest. GTFO.

July 25, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  92. JP

I agree with what you're saying for the most part. I don't consider Booth Babes to be "fakers" though, because as ME said, they're just doing a modeling job. They probably got the gig through their agency.

Olivia Munn and her ilk are another matter. They seem to honestly be trying to just exploit, not celebrate. Felicia Day straddles the fence. She has real geek cred, but she uses it all wrong. I can't stand to watch videos of her because she does pander to her audience - instead of acting like herself, she bats her eyes and squees like a 15 year old girl.

But then again, I prefer the Hepburns of the world over the Kardashians. I'm too old nowadays to fall for big boobs or short skirts.

July 25, 2012 at 11:02 am |
  93. Steve

So basically the author is complaining about image conscious girls pretending to be geeks in what is basically a comic marketing convention? How strange. To me, Comic-Con is about entertainment, sizzle, and wonder with meaningful conversations taking back stage. I will enjoy my eye-candy and leave the deep knowledge laden conversations for another day. The author's rage is purely his own.

July 25, 2012 at 11:02 am |
  94. sam

Hot girl go where the money is. If frogs made money, hot girls will be all over them. Simple as that. make money or look really good. That is the only way you will get to mess around hot girls.

July 25, 2012 at 11:01 am |
  95. baorddog

Why is it people are so desperate to label themselves? I love Trek, R&R music, country, computers, surfing and many other things. I guess I can't be jammed into a packaged label. Whatever...

July 25, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  96. cj

I started to read this but didn't get much further after "Now, before every single woman reading this explodes, let me disambiguate a bit."

That's pathetic that you had to defend what you really wanted to say. Say what's on your mind and be done with it. Get that PC gag out of your mouth.

July 25, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • mcore

It's called being sensitive to women's issues. Try it sometime. You'll find people don't hate you quite so much.

July 25, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  97. Pointless

And does being a "fake" geek make you less attractive than being a "real" geek? Do a reality check. For all practical purposes all of these girls are nothing more than eye candy for the people attending the show. Eye candy is eye candy, who and what these girls actually are is pretty much meaningless.

July 25, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • A Geeky Girl

Instead of calling every single hot girl who cosplays "eye candy," why don't you simply try talking to one of us? Yes, I'm sure you'll find some who don't know anything about what you're trying to talk to them about, but there are some of us that do know. Personally, I want to have conversations about the video games I play and the tv shows I watch. Just because I cosplay as a hot chick doesn't mean I'm simply "eye candy" with low self-esteem.

July 25, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  98. NorCalMojo

I understand the writer's point. The women are being paid and probably think they're a bunch of dorks. Geeks are smart enough to know that. Pretty women induce the need to act cool (or at least attempt) and when that happens, it's not very geeky anymore.

July 25, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • geekgirldythia

I agree with how you put it.

July 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  99. ted

Oh no Mr. Cranky Pants got shot down.
    Who are you to dictate "A true Geek"?
    Hot babes and Hot Dogs? I don't see the eph'n problem.

July 25, 2012 at 10:51 am |
    • GT66

Well hurray for you. He does see a problem and hr wrote about it. If you've got a counter argument write a blog and send it in.

July 25, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • NorCalMojo

See what happens? You put out a few babes with hot dogs, and pretty soon people like Ted here will start showing up.

July 25, 2012 at 11:04 am |
      • ted

Hot Dogs and Babes???

No I'm good, you guys go ahead on with out me, show them your light sabre.
        I'm going to hang out here and see a girl about a slitted bun.

July 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  100. M.E.

First off, not all booth babes are fake. Some really are into games comics, and what have you. Second, the ones who aren't are there for a paycheck and who the hell are you to demean their choice of work. Are you just a teensie bit jealous that they can use a natural (or plastic) gift to make money the easy way? They may not be legit geeks, but it's a legit and legal job, so step off.

I have to say though, sometimes it's nice to be a not particularly hot nerd. It's all the fun of the culture, minus the letching. The only nerd I want ogling me these days is my husband!

July 25, 2012 at 10:51 am |
    • GT66

" Are you just a teensie bit jealous that they can use a natural gift to make money the easy way?" Funny. When men do that women claim it is bias and oppression.

July 25, 2012 at 10:56 am |