Booth babes need not apply
The presence of fans dressed as X-23 (left) and Loki's female form (right) at Comic-Con signals the broadening of geek culture.
July 24th, 2012

Booth babes need not apply

Editor's note: When he's not teaching the Internet how to fist-fight, why being weird is awesome or how to self-publish your own books, Joe Peacock tours the world, showing his extensive "Akira" art collection. He also cosplays as a six-foot-two-inch, 310lb Powerpuff Girl to fill the hollow pit that is his need for the wrong kinds of attention.

There is a growing chorus of frustration in the geek community with - and there's no other way to put this - pretty girls pretending to be geeks for attention.

San Diego Comic-Con is the largest vehicle, but it's hardly the only convention populated with "hot chicks" wearing skimpy outfits simply to get a bunch of gawking geeks’ heads to turn, just to satisfy their hollow egos.

Now, before every single woman reading this explodes, let me disambiguate a bit. I absolutely do not believe that every girl who attends conventions and likes "Doctor Who" is pretending to be a geek.

There are lots of geeks who are female. Some of these female geeks are pretty girls. I find it fantastic that women are finally able to enjoy a culture that has predominately been male-oriented and male-driven.

The presence of female geeks means that the fiction we're reading is broadening and, frankly, getting better in quality. It means nerdy films and television shows aren't relying on damsel in distress stories and objectification of women to draw readers. It means content is broadening and becoming smarter and more accessible. I want more of that.

And be it known that I am good friends with several stunningly beautiful women who cosplay as stunningly beautiful characters from comics, sci-fi, fantasy and other genres of fandom. They are, each of them, bone fide geeks. They belong with us. Being beautiful is not a crime.

Flaunt it if you got it – and if you're a geek, male or female, and you're strikingly handsome or stunningly beautiful, and you cosplay as a handsome or beautiful character, more power to us all. Hot geeks are hot.

What I'm talking about is the girls who have no interest or history in gaming taking nearly naked photos of themselves with game controllers draped all over their body just to play at being a "model."  I get sick of wannabes who couldn't make it as car show eye candy slapping on a Batman shirt and strutting around comic book conventions instead.

I'm talking about an attention addict trying to satisfy her ego and feel pretty by infiltrating a community to seek the attention of guys she wouldn't give the time of day on the street.

I call these girls "6 of 9". They have a superpower: In the real world, they're beauty-obsessed, frustrated wannabe models who can't get work.

They decide to put on a "hot" costume, parade around a group of boys notorious for being outcasts that don't get attention from girls, and feel like a celebrity. They're a "6" in the "real world", but when they put on a Batman shirt and head to the local fandom convention du jour, they instantly become a "9".

They're poachers. They're a pox on our culture. As a guy, I find it repugnant that, due to my interests in comic books, sci-fi, fantasy and role playing games, video games and toys, I am supposed to feel honored that a pretty girl is in my presence. It's insulting.

Is it abuse in the same vein as the harassment? Not even slightly.

Someone dressing up to feel good about themselves isn't the same as guys lobbing insults, threats, disgusting suggestions and the like at women.

Case in point: there is a website called Fat, Ugly Or Slutty that catalogs insults, harassment and verbal abuse from male gamers to females on Xbox Live. Reading through just one page of the site made me ill. The big brother in me wanted to go pound the crap out of the thirteen year olds who think it's cool or funny to demean women for sport.

Is this type of harassment is deserved? Not at all. Are guys acting this way toward women just as disgusting and base as women poaching attention from our culture, satisfying their egos by strutting around a group of guys dressed in clothing and costumes from a culture filled with men they see as beneath them? Absolutely.

I think that these things sully what is otherwise an incredible group of people and bring down a beautiful culture. I feel the same way when some guy reads about a hot comic book title sure to be a collector's item, drives up demand by buying up all of those issues and resells them on eBay for hundreds of dollars. He doesn't love the culture. He doesn't add anything to it. All he does is make scarce a resource that we want and love, in the name of profit.

I hate poachers. Pure and simple.

The growing presence of these Olivia Munn types in the geek community is creating dialog that isn't helping anyone. You've no doubt heard about a young journalist named Ryan Perez who did something stupid. Really, really stupid. He "called out" Felicia Day on Twitter, asking if she really contributes anything to geek culture other than being a celebrity.

I believe that Felicia's main drive is probably writing and acting, and that geek culture is where she chooses to exercise her talents. She's found a niche, and she works within that niche – but so have Nathan Fillion, George Takei, Wil Wheaton... All actor/writers who make the most of their geek celebrity. However, no one gets it in their blood to call these guys out. So why Felicia Day?

It's because she's a girl, and some men are disgusting. Plain and simple.

Felicia Day is not a poacher. She's a celebrity, sure. She's a pretty girl, absolutely. The fact that she chooses geeky avenues to focus those interests? That makes her a geek. The fact that she spent her own money to make a successful independent video feature centered around World of Warcraft puts her into ubergeek territory. Not only does she put her money where her interests are, she creates things that further the community.

But then, you have these models-cum-geeks like Olivia Munn and practically every FragDoll. These chicks? Not geeks. I think that their rise is due to the fact that corporations are figuring out that geeks have money, and they want it. But they can't abide putting a typically geeky face on camera, so they hire models to act quirky and sell this marketable geekdom. So, I can understand why someone completely ignorant could look at Felicia Day and see a pretty woman who is making one heck of a career starring in roles celebrating fandom, and mentally file them along with the fake geek G4 hostesses. Ryan Perez is a shoddy journalist and failed to do any research.

He knee-jerked his way into temporary internet infamy. I think he was an idiot. But I can see why he bubbled over.
There's no doubt about it – girls in geek culture have it hard, and it's probably going to be that way for a long time. At least until men stop lusting after women (so, like, never).  But that doesn't mean that women aren't welcomed and accepted in geek culture. Women elevate the culture, and thus, the content. And, I'll admit, you ladies are much nicer to be around.

However, you "6 of 9s" out there? You're just gross. There's an entire contingent of guys in geekdom who absolutely love you, because inside, they're 13 year old boys who like to objectify women and see them as nothing more than butts and a pair of boobs to be leered at. Have fun with them, and don't be shocked when they send you XBox Live messages with ASCII penises.

Those of us who actually like substance? We'll be over here celebrating great comics, great games, great art, great movies and great television, because we're actually attracted to a completely different body part: the brain.

A counterpoint from Genevieve Dempre posted here, and more from Peacock.

Posted by
Filed under: Comic-Con 2012 • Fandom
soundoff (1,036 Responses)
  1. SixDegrees

I think we need pictures. I'm not quite following this article's points. Too many words.

July 25, 2012 at 2:36 am |
  2. David

Comic-Con. What happened to all the comic books? All I hear about is TV shows, Holywood movie stars, etc, attending this garbage.

July 25, 2012 at 2:32 am |
  3. Cindy

"Have fun with them, and don't be shocked when they send you XBox Live messages with ASCII penises." <– that sentence is full of so much win. I came back from San Diego Comic Con last week where these "6 of 9" types were everywhere, so THANK YOU for writing this. :)

July 25, 2012 at 2:25 am |
  4. blessedgeek

What about the male wannabe geeks? Are you sick of them too?

A geek doesn't care if another person wannabe geek. Being geek is not an ISO certification (ISO 933K) or and OBE or a Congressional medal.

Geekiness is a perception compelled upon a person with intense interest in functional concepts, the functionality of which escapes the understanding of the general population or even other so-called geeks.

There are geekoholics who really prefer not to be geek but pleasure themselves in the atmosphere of geeks. And anyone who considers themselves a geek should be kind and welcoming to such geekoholics. They are not wannabe geeks, merely geekoholics.

July 25, 2012 at 2:18 am |
  5. Prometheus

I'm blind, so whether you are a geek-chick or not I don't care. BOING!

No, not really...but seriously I still don't care. BOING!

July 25, 2012 at 2:04 am |
  6. scatman

"They are, each of them, bone fide geeks." Did you mean 'bonafide' instead? So much for the geeky part.

July 25, 2012 at 2:03 am |
  7. Hadenuffyet

If it floats , flies , or fornicates , it's cheaper to rent it.

July 25, 2012 at 1:40 am |
  8. Kenchandammit

Hot chicks are ALWAYS in fashion! What the hail is wrong with you guys? I swear, if evolution is true, us geeks don't stand a chance. Chicks now! Chicks forever!

July 25, 2012 at 1:37 am |
    • yomika

There you go – if girls are now part of the geek community and it stands to reason a percentage of those girls will be straight – why would they just want to look at hot chicks – maybe some fake geek guys can work at the booths too. Anyway just don't assumbe all the geeks in the room are male and all the geeks drool over hot chicks.

The author is saying these fakers are making a mockery out of what the geek lives and loves – Do you want to try to have offspring with such women? (most likely they aren't really that into geeks anyway and want to mate with other guys, they are just practicing on geeks, just teasing) Anyway – having a child with a fake geek mate would mean a struggle when it comes time for the important questions like Star Wars or America's Top Model – who gets control of the remote?

yeah better think your future life out carefully.

July 25, 2012 at 2:03 am |
      • Tiggy

Oh pooh. I'm straight and female, and I enjoy the pretty cosplay girls and visual kei booth babes at cons. Erm, I don't think they are there to procreate with the passersby...unless I was at the wrong con?? I just got a brochure and couple of pictures with them – gimme my money back! :-) Geeks don't have to marry geeks for marital bliss, btw. My husband is the only non-geek around, while the rest of us happily geek away in our own narrow field of interest. His best friend is a Star Trek geek, his Dad is a WoW and Game of Thrones fantasy geek, and I (wife) am an anime and manga geek. The family geeks' conversations go nowhere, (all I know about Star Trek is that you don't want to be wearing the red uniform), but we are all deeply respectful of the others' love of their special interest. So if make-up and America's Top Model is really your thing, you'll get the same respect from us. Look at Promise Tamang Phan – I am in love with her passion for makeup and her amazing talent. She's a geek, my friends, just not YOUR geek.

July 25, 2012 at 10:54 am |
  9. hammerofastraea

Good idea but still. You absolutely can never have too many hot chicks. It would only be a problem if it started affecting the quality of the genres.

July 25, 2012 at 1:34 am |
    • glitchead

What about the quality of the environment? I've never been to a convention. I always wanted to go, so I can just have nosebleeds and spasms of pure nerding-out over-dosage. If I went to see nothing but a bunch of fakes that didn't know there was a difference between a Console Control and a Television Control, I would be so turned off by conventions that I'd ne'er return! I want to be surrounded by people who understand me, not egotistical b****es who want to see how many stares they can get from men. Censored for the young'uns out there. Of course, I also have a girlfriend who isn't fully gamer, but is open-minded, and I've opened that mind to Killing Floor, offline CS:S, and soon, I get rid of bots and throw in PvP FPS with TF2. She loves me and wants to go with me, so I don't really concern myself with eye candy. I would go strictly for nerd-gasms.

September 14, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  10. nena

I kinda get what your saying- and some of it semi-valid BUT many 'hot girls' at 'your' convention are there because someone HIRED them to be there and they GET PAID to work as a professional spokesperson/ model at conventions. Period. It is a job and career avenue for many – and it provides additional income. In these trying economic times- a job is a job- and beats blowing losers for $.

July 25, 2012 at 1:24 am |
    • Jeremy

I'd have to disagree a bit there. Within the arts (at modeling could be consider an off-shot or at least a poor distant cousin) you want to have an interest in the community and nature of the project. I can understand what you mean by "a job is a job" but when it comes to the community of acting, signing, and modeling you need to ask yourself each and every time if you feel the job is productive towards your career and if its something you can be proud of doing. Often once you finding a special community to work in you may find the majority of your work in that community, this is true for the geekdom community. Since that happens, you better be sure you have an actual interest in the community and topics and not view it simply as "a job" otherwise you'll won't be able to keep your heart in it and your career will be mediocre at best cause you don't care about it.

July 25, 2012 at 1:48 am |
  11. laalbillie

FINALLY! SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS!

July 25, 2012 at 1:07 am |
    • Gorok

What a geek-fest. You are all five years old

July 25, 2012 at 1:17 am |
      • glitchead

Settle down, Melvin.

September 14, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
  12. WallStud

Booth babes are hot! They know nothing about technology, and they hand me off to another dweeb like me who actually knows what he's talking about after attracting me into their booths, but I don't care! If I had to have a technical conversation with them, then I'd be too distracted by their beauty to be a productive participant. And the same is true of booth hunks; female dweebs dig booth hunks too, even though they often know nothing about technology. Let's stop hating, and instead love people for the gifts that God or the universe or whatever gave them! Peace Out!

July 25, 2012 at 12:40 am |
  13. Rick

" I get sick of wannabes who couldn't make it as car show eye candy slapping on a Batman shirt and strutting around comic book conventions instead."

Just wanted to say, I had a friend who wanted to be a model that was deemed too short to be an ideal model (though she could've made it as car show candy). She wasn't a gamer but she loved artists of all types and she wanted to model for comic books. Besides, the modelling world is frigging brutal and if you are marketing yourself, it's a good thing to try as many different avenues as you feel comfortable with.

July 25, 2012 at 12:37 am |
  14. bill

I'm on the weird part of cnn again :(

July 25, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • Yay Bill

Best comment of the day! :D

July 25, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  15. GeorgeBushSr

yea so you mad bro, you mad that an underground culture is rising to the mainstream and you feel you will no longer hold your cult "im cooler than you" status, take the hipster glasses off and move on, cowboy beebop and antman will be cool regardless of what bimbos pretend to like it, most of you people that feel this is an issue need to take a serious look in the mirror and try and figure out why you are so totally insecure and still clinging to high school fantasies of being part of the "coolest" clique. Ant-man 4evur.

July 25, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • anonymous

Good point.

July 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • glitchead

It's not a real issue yet, but when there are enough booth ____'s that you can walk up to someone, mention 4 popular comics, 7 well-known video games, and 5 wide-spread animes, and they just have no clue what you're talking about, it makes you feel silly. Go from person to person, attempting to have some logical conversation about something geeky with no fear of judgment for once, and yet be responded with slacked jaws, blank stares, or giggly confusion. What's the point? It's not so much as keeping the hipster status as it is preserving the environment in a better state.

September 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
  16. Johnny Orlando

As a high school jock and college frat boy, I must say that I want to give this writer a swirlie. These people are the IT guys who get paid a measly 20 dollars an hour to fix the printer at my office. Enjoy your "cosplay"...whatever that is...sounds pretty lame.

July 25, 2012 at 12:13 am |
    • jeremy

Haha! You said it man. Geeks don't care whether the women are really 'geeks' as long as they are paying attention to them.

July 25, 2012 at 12:21 am |
    • Noah

LOL You see your real issue is not being into sports. Your, big problem is your not very smart. Pick up a book its not going to get you labeled a nerd or geek. But it might get your more money; so your not on the internet crying that some IT guy makes more money then you.

July 25, 2012 at 12:22 am |
      • The Ark

@Noah... You are criticizing somone's intelligence, when you don't realize that there is a difference between "your" and "you're". Now that's funny! You should stick to writing computer code instead of comments.

July 25, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • Rick

Judging how little you value people who fix copy machines, I'd wager you're not a manager and most likely making less than $20 an hour. Perhaps you're using your jock muscles to refill the soda pop machines?

July 25, 2012 at 12:31 am |
    • estcoast1

I'm a geek that like comics that happens to contract for 130-175 an hour, I think I may do alright.

July 25, 2012 at 12:41 am |
    • Nerdy

@Johnny Oral – and some of us enjoy not being "shower-candy" in locker rooms for coaches. There's a lot to be said for not walking funny...

July 25, 2012 at 12:55 am |
    • Syndrome Zed

Yes, Johnny, I do want fries with that. And don't forget the pickles on my burger next time, you hack!

July 25, 2012 at 2:04 am |
    • Alex

Johnny Orlando was Sandusky's favorite kid at ball camp.

July 25, 2012 at 2:09 am |
    • NorCalMojo

Always nice to hear from the UPS ground guy.

I never know, are we supposed to tip you?

July 25, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  17. What?

No WAY I am saying no to that!

July 24, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
  18. adibese

I like looking at beautiful girls. I don't care if they're real geeks or not.

July 24, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
  19. Shadowmerchant

It is no more valuable (in the broadest sense) to be a geek (or to not); enjoy what beauty there is (geeky or not).

July 24, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
  20. Observer

Great article. Spot on.

July 24, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
  21. The Boss

Sounds like some women in the army.

July 24, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
  22. Kim

Seriously? This guy thinks its his business to declare who is "geek enough" to participate in what he must regard as his own, personal culture? These girls aren't hurting anyone – all that is being damaged is the author's precious ego because HE can't stop fretting about what these women are thinking about him. They didn't say anything derogatory to him, and yet here he is deriding them, insisting they are thinking they are "above" him. Sounds like the 13 year old boys aren't the only ones with women issues.

July 24, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • jeremy

WTH is cosplay; anyone?

July 25, 2012 at 12:22 am |
      • Rick

People that dress up as their favorite characters (human and nonhuman) from movies, books, comic books etc.

July 25, 2012 at 12:33 am |
      • Jay

How did you NOT know what that is?

July 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • presley9295

i coudn't put it any better! this guy obviously has issues. how much do you wanna bet on a scale 1 to 10 that this guy is totally insecure and knows he has look issues and doesn't know how to deal with it???hmmm? i say a 10!!!!! i can't guys like this i go to school with now. they just live in the past and will always be that little guy who never breaks out of that freaky shell.

July 25, 2012 at 1:34 am |
  23. GenXcynic

Anyone not there for the culture is considered fake, just like every other group of people. Put 3 or more poeple together for a common purpose and sooner or later they will start to develop some nebulous criteria for inclusion in their "culture".

Geekdom is a trend and trends have two things many decent looking women want – attention and money.

So, suck it up and enjoy the scenery, or be a geek elitist snob and stay lonely and bitter.

July 24, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Tim

Well said. It's the same thing with sports. A lot of attractive men and women attend games for the party atmosphere and could care less about the outcome... and there's no reason to complain about it.

July 24, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
  24. Di

The tone of this article is a little hateful. It kind of overshadows the writer's point.

July 24, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
  25. John (not real name)

Once I was in a bar after work and just wanted to have a drink and not be nothered. A hot babe sat down next to me and asked if I was alone and can she sit. I said yes and she started chatting. My buddy the bartender was smiling. After about 5 minutes of chat she went for the kill. Minde you, I was single and making very good money at the time. She asked what car I was driving. I told her I take the bus. I mediately she left the bar and sat next to another bimbo. My buddy the nartender and I had a great laugh.

July 24, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • Mary

This sort of thing happens in Silicon Valley all the time. There are tons of single, relatively well-off male engineers around here that women want to take advantage of. Consequently, where you work and what you drive become very important factors in the dating game. If you're not working at Google/FB/Apple/the hottest startup and don't drive a luxury vehicle, you're not deemed worthy of their time. Ugh.

July 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
  26. itoldyouso10

Frankly, this is justice...think how many 'fakes' you had within the 'cool' cultures of the past few decades. Maybe they are finally embracing OUR worldview and can learn a thing or two about how the culture their used to is making them who they are like this. They may be demeaning, but sometimes learning things through a tough lesson is what they need. We Nerds/Geeks all knew deep down that as time went on and we moved further and further into the future and the culture that seemed 'normal' imploded, and SciFi became the 'normal' and reality, that tides may turn. Well, it's one thing to wait for the prediction, but HERE WE ARE. So let these girls do what they want...maybe they'll learn a thing or two in the process.

July 24, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Squidgal

Take heart in the fact that geek chic is a fad. Soon enough pop culture will move on and the 6 to 9 girls will move on also. In the meantime....ignore them.

July 24, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
  28. dkf

[rant] [rant] [RANT] [/RANT]

That is practically all I read and wondered why I bothered to continue to read to the end. I only clicked on the article because I wanted to see more hot chicks (I didn't care if they were geek, fake or otherwise).

What is so wrong about looking at beautiful women? Who the 'f' cares if they are for real or faking it?

July 24, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Frank

I agree entirely. Who cares if they're fake geeks. Any reason to get hot chicks a convention is a good one!

July 24, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
      • Herby Sagues

A geek girl pretty dressing as Cortana is already faking something (she's not Cortana after all) in order to cause an impact on us geeks. And I don't have any problem with that (because it works). A non-geeky girl doing the same adds just one more level of deception. I don't have a problem with that either. It's obviously not as exiting if I know that the girl actually knows who created Cortana, but that doesn't mean that the company is not enjoyable.

July 24, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
  29. Magister Ludi

"Pretty" girls are usually fake anyway.... from their fake hair color, fake lashes, war paint makeup, fake boobs, liposucked tummies, fake nails, shaved body hair, etc..... they're all FAKE!!! Watch out men! There's a trap waiting for you behind all that FAKE-@$$ illusion! (even tho it can be fun for a few glorious minutes).

July 24, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
  30. roblearns

Wow I guess the word 'geek' doesn't mean what it used to – I associated geeks with those who could program a computer for 24 hours straight, just for fun.

I don't associate playing WoW with being a geek – in truth, I associated that with being a loser, since you aren't creating anything.

Well, that's not a slam, to each their own, but I'd say get used to the pretty girls, worse things can happen to you, imagine if you had to get a job.

July 24, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Hmm?

Nice

July 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • ajk68

I agree. Geeks are not people who collect comics or play video games.
      Geeks are people who are way into math, science and computer programming; they like to experiment and build things.
      Most importantly, geeks are characterized by social awkwardness.

July 24, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
      • Muldawg

I always considered geeks to be into the comics and D&D and such, while nerds were the ones that were highly intelligent in math and science. I always split them, because just because you like comics and such doesn't mean you're very intelligent.

IDK, just my 2 cents.

July 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • pudgetron

In reality, they are just generalized terms to describe what somebody does in their free time. I am proud to call myself a nerd which, to me, is somebody who dedicates their free time into something purely for the enjoyment of that activity; I count sports fans among the ranks of nerds by that definition, despite their protests. Geeks, dorks, dweebs, etc. are subsets of the same group, generally associated with more negative connotations.
      Personally, I'm a tabletop gamer (Warhammer, D&D, etc.), video gamer, and an amateur writer, among other things. That doesn't mean that that's the only type of nerd/geek/whatever there is; we are a wide and varied people.
      I get where the author is coming from, but I think he overreacted. Yes, it's annoying when people try to fake their way into groups for attention, regardless of what group it is, but hardly deserving of the anger the author showed. These kinds of people are a part of life, and the best we can do is ignore them and hope they go away. Nerd culture isn't looking for eye candy, we forge connections that last a llifetime, whether with friends or romantic interests; we don't like investing all that into something just to have it turn to dust in our hands.

July 25, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  31. Tim Story

I understand the annoyance, BUT its hard to find fault in hot girls wearing less clothing, no matter the reason.

July 24, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  32. yeah yeah

To the 6 of 9 chicks....what's going to happen to you when gravity has you sagging like a stretch Armstrong doll?

July 24, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Ryan

Best. Article. Ever.

July 24, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Lirael

I was with you until you mentioned the Frag Dolls... you accuse Ryan Perez of shoddy journalism, but then make the same mistake. The Frag Dolls are serious geeks that practically drip geek cred.

It makes me wonder how exactly you determine whether a woman is a "real" geek. What about the Frag Dolls made you think they weren't legit? What makes you think that Olivia Munn isn't? Or your hypothetical girl in the Batman tshirt?

Is there a test you have to pass to be granted geek status? I can quote nearly every line of Star Trek: TNG, but I can't even remember which characters are DC and which are Marvel. I've played every Final Fantasy game, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about building a Magic deck. Is Halo too mainstream? Is Mario? What if I love Doctor Who but hate Star Wars? What if I don't know what THAC0 is!?!?!?!

I understand your frustration and I can sympathize with your general sentiment, but if one of the most passionate opponents of hot phonies can't tell friend from foe, aren't you sabotaging your own mission? Aren't we back to where we started: making assumptions about women based on how they look or what they do for a living?

When you make judgments about people you don't know, you suddenly seem to me to be like all the other men that take one look at me and assume that I can't play videogames. And since your heart seems to be in the right place, that's a real shame.

July 24, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • spiderlord

Amen.

July 24, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Magister Ludi

As long as I can remember, "geek" meant that you were too ugly to look at and that turning to your intellect, comics, Star Trek......iow NERDY things....was the only recourse (since you presumably couldn't get your rocks off with any REAL pretty girls....unless you paid cold, hard cash for them). Revenge of the Nerds is, after all, FANTASY.

July 24, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • Samae

I heart you.

July 25, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Abhorsen

Thank you for posting this, I couldn't agree more.

July 25, 2012 at 12:26 am |
    • Tiggy

Hugs, Lirael. Thank you for showing that real geeks are not haters.

July 25, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • GymNERDbrah

I half agree with the frag dolls comment.
      There is hypocritical criteria for becoming a frag doll.
      You have to be BOTH attractive and GOOD at gaming.
      I've had the chance to play against FragDolls and trust me they are good.
      But they also have to be generally attractive, there are plenty of really good gaming girls who can wipe the floor with the FragDolls, but because of lack of aesthetics they dont stand a chance at becoming one.
      I've also hooked up with one at PAX... thats just me bragging though.

July 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
      • Tiggy

Being attractive and being a good gamer both take hard work. I'm agnostic regarding your hookup story, though.

July 25, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
  35. buffalo

I had no idea that the problem had reached such epic proportions. That ANY woman wants to pay attention to a bunch of pimply and weak-chinned dweebs would seem to be a good thing. To the Bat Cave, Robin!

July 24, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Manda

I guess sometimes being an ugly geek who is also female has its rewards. I can play the 360 and WoW without much hassle and no one questions my geekness.

July 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
  37. drew

Was a good article until you got to the last half. Sorry, I understand you have to try and balance your opinion piece, but all you had to say is fake females that go buy a printed tee of a classic show, cartoon, game, etc from hot topic or spencers and try to wear it to ComicCon to pass as a nerd can DIAF. 6 of 9's? Call them what they are, lames. They are lame because they have no skills and probably didnt do much in school but look at the ceiling or stare at a Cosmo Mag. Now they gotta rely on their body and their good looks to get somewhere because they werent around to learn the important things in their life like most people were. The prettiest thing about a female is the mind, which is mentioned at the ending, but with so much this opinion piece is trying to say, most people probably will hate this article before they get to that statement. And the World of Warcraft show, The Guild, that chick gets a pass, but we all know if we turned that table 180 degrees and featured a good looking guy instead of the red head, the show would flop harder then a fish. Please make sure you balance your opinion point with that point of view. " The fact that she chooses geeky avenues to focus those interests? That makes her a geek." This statement is FALSE, being a geek has to do with the likes and the desires of the shows that people passed over and got cancelled after a few seasons, liking shows/series/movies that normal people would probably laugh at you or look at you weird if you told them. Growing up with Movies/shows/comics. Liking comic books, STAR TREK/STAR WARS, KNIGHT RIDER CLASSIC (new one sucked), LORD OF THE RINGS. Pokemon and Magic the Gathering. Dressing up as King Arthas from World of Warcraft, Lady Silvannas, A Paladin or A Succubus. Basically, being a nerd is showing your passion and love for cultures and cult classics and not afraid to show your face wearing your colors. NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE HOT AND SEE THE SUCCESSES OF a comic con or a star trek convention and say, "Hmm, im hot and I should make money off of that." You pretty much are a statement away from saying Felicia Day is a 6 of 9, you thread the needle that loosely. That she has a brain and understands how to manipulate people to earn herself a living. Your defense of Felicia Day is weak and needs more support to make such a statement, AKA do your homework.

July 24, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
  38. johnny

do you not go home afterwards and look at girls like that online to get your rocks off,count yourselves lucky a woman wants your attention at all.

July 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
  39. Oscar Pitchfork

That's because of one geeky fact that every one of you supposed egg-heads is overlooking: the kind of chick who is, lets face it, good looking to begin with, and than goes ahead down the road doing everything it takes to become hot, IS NOT IN KEEPING with the type of persona it takes to be interested in enough geeky things to actually become a geek! This is exactly like those select few people we ALL know who are just clever enough to sound somewhat smart, but the rest of us, who reallty are smart, realize they are, at best, idiots who read Time magazine now and then...

July 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
  40. Stevo

Umm, hate to tell you, but I think you may be in the very small minority in not wanting very attractive women coming to comicons, even if their geek IQ is next to nothing. Chances are, they were hired by whatever company runs their game booth to stand there and look attractive. It's a sad fact of life that attractive women "attract" people and attention. Get used to it. They are there to look at, you don't have to talk to them. Also, you spend about half of the article trying to specify your argument and divorce it from other ways of thinking so it's probably not a good base of discussion.

July 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
  41. sam

wow...this article was a waste of paper. or whatever it is that makes these letters show up on my computer.

July 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  42. yeah yeah

6 of 9. Hmmmm I like it........I'm using that.

July 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
  43. onestarman

I FOR ONE am in FAVOR of Hot Girls in Skimpy Outfits. But then, perhaps I am more Nerd than Geek.

July 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
  44. Tootles

GREAT article! I HATE posers myself.

July 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
  45. Kahtryn

How many of you are actually laughing out loud when you write LOL in a post? And if you are, wow, you are really easily amused.

July 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • CWAlstom

Hahaha. I've always hated "lol". And your question to the masses literally made me audibly chuckle.

July 25, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
  46. Adam

This is something that G4 has been exploiting for years and to the user who said this seemed like a direct article to Olivia Munn, I agree %100

July 24, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  47. 3322fooooooooo

dude needs to learn to spell too. can you call yourself a nerd and spell like an seventh grader?

July 24, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
  48. Dan

Heh... When I read this, I could hear the voice of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons reverberating in my head.

Worst. Op Ed. Ever. :)

July 24, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
  49. 3322fooooooooo

the article seemed worth read until half way through when it became obvious this piece was just the ramblings of a bitter, jilted nerd that hates hot women because they don't like him for him.

July 24, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
  50. gggg

I find Felicia Day to be incredibly good looking (dare I say hot?). But I love red heads. And I loved her character in Eureka, a show that I will miss.

July 24, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
  51. Joe

Sounds like a direct message to Olivia Munn :)

July 24, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
  52. MB

Every inner circle has their fare share of poseurs. Take the high road, ignore them and move on.
    Also, when OP comes back with a study that shows these women are solely motivated by their desire to attract/prey on male geeks, then this can be a legit article. Heaven forbid these "6's" might actually be employed by male promoters.

July 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  53. bluegillonthefly

As someone who has usually been a nerd/geek (of the computer (always) and Star Trek (sometimes) varieties since middle school in the mid-seventies, I find it beyond weird that attractive women (by which I mean "hot chicks") would go around to cons doing this. There were a few girls who were into D&D and other bastions of nerds back then, but they were rare. The best looking one that I knew was only about average, but she was a very interesting and fun person to hang with and besides being a good D&D player was also a second-degree black belt. There just weren't any hot chicks into that stuff back then, and the idea that they would pretend to be? Nuh-uh. Preposterous. If there weren't any where I lived (one of the 10 largest cities in the US), there probably weren't many or any elsewhere, either.

July 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  54. natasha

@ARUN

stop LOL-ing all over the place. it's super annoying. you made your point now shutup.

July 24, 2012 at 9:16 pm |

you surely seem annoyed. LOL. i made my point HAHA

July 24, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
      • MILO

u sure did bro. LOL LOOOOL HAHA HOOO LOLLL HAAAHAAAA. LOOOOL LUUUUL.

there's your point now learn some more english "term" to make your point other than LOLLERS.

July 25, 2012 at 12:40 am |
  55. Miami Dade Geek

While I agree with the overarching message, this is seriously one of the worst-written articles/blogs – from a grammar and syntax perspective – I've ever come across on CNN.com. How did this ever make it on here???

That said, Joe has a point. If it is indeed all about ego, those faux geeker chicks have no business being there. It's just a big waste of everyone's time in the end...

UNLESS.... their cosplay of choice is Seven of Nine!

July 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
  56. arun

The irony is that CNN is getting hits on this story because of the picture of the hot booth babes. LOL. This author is a joke. No one would even come here to read his stupid article if CNN didnt use that picture of booth babes. HAHA

July 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • jm

I admit it...thats the only reason I looked at it!!

July 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • pric riv

There was an article?

July 24, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
    • gggg

They aren't red heads. Therefore they are only average.

July 24, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • MILO

LAAAAAWL! what an idiot :D LOL LAAAWL LAAAL

July 25, 2012 at 12:42 am |
  57. reithena

I wish that rather than hiring Booth Babes companies would hire some of the magnificent cos-players that are available and going to these cons anyway! That way when I want to ask a questions about a model kit or what region this game will play on I don't get a blank stare, but at least a semi acknowledge look back...

July 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • arun

Blame their employers and not these booth babe girls. They are just people working to earn their livelihood. Dont be hating! Chill. LOL

July 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
      • reithena

It is an argument I have been making for a very long time. I have no problem with the booth babes themselves as much as the fact that nothing is done to really prep them for the con environment. This is because neither the contractors or contractees want to spend the extra money. So why not hire the people who already know the information?

July 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
      • Stevo

July 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
      • Stevo

P.S.: I meant to put that comment in the overall thread and was addressing the author of the piece, not this specific poster. Sorry about that.

July 24, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  58. Lycidas

Too many haters on here. I liked the article and agree with it.
    Hey, if you want to see a pretty geek girl that is the opposite of Olivia (in my opinion), check out AlisaKiss. The best Supergirl cosplayer I know and is pretty up to date on all things Supergirl. Now that's a good girl geek.

July 24, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  59. arun

Relax guys, they are hired models. They are working to make $$ to earn their livelihood. Blame the companies that hire them. Dont be hating! LOL. Chill.

July 24, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
  60. wrm

Love me a good booth babe, and some of them put out, with or without a few drinks, which makes the pursuit that much more fun.

July 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Dennis

Sick pervert.

July 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  61. Locknlore

Wow. So no one really expects the models at car shows to be car experts or anything like that, so why at a comic convention? The promoters are creating a scene people want to be at. There's good and bad but take it for what it is. It's strange that you would complain though. Why this perceived barrier between geeks and non-geeks. So you might get to talk to a hot girl with interests different from yours. Try to be an adult and say hello.

July 24, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • arun

Relax guys, they are hired models. They are working to make $$ to earn their livelihood. Dont be hating! LOL. Chill.

July 24, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • me

Why not?!?! don't hate the playa hate the game. AND thanks for the idea I can't wait to be a 9!! batman shirt right??? Hope Lex Luther doesn't get me. lol

July 24, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
  62. Ana

Agree 100%. Ego booster seekers with guys they see "beneath" them.

July 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • arun

Seriously? They are there to work for the companies that hire them for these events LOL. What nonsense! Get over it. HAHA

July 24, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
  63. Kyon Smith

Long time ago, The four nations used to download files in Harmony.

Then Everything changed when the FBI Attacked.

Only DOTCOM, Master of Mega Elements could stop them.

But when the World needed him the most he vanished.

Over A Hundred Days have passed and My Brother and I found a new post from DotCom.
    A Boss uploader named Kim.
    Although his Uploading skills are great, he isn't ready to save anything.
    But, I believe Kim Dotcom will save the world.

July 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  64. B

Funny stuff

July 24, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
  65. fanman

You're totally right, dude. Girls are like, totally yuck. You boys better let me handle all of the hotties.

July 24, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  66. Kent

While I completely agree about 99% of G4's "talent" I would not include Morgan Webb amongst the likes of Olivia Munn (whom I detest).

Other than that, great article.

July 24, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  67. jm

Geek or no geek Olivia Munn is a 10 in the real world and at Comic-Con. She may play up the geek thing a bit too much at times but a woman that awesome can do whatever the hell she wants!!! If a woman wants to play up her assets in front of geeky guys to get attention so be it...here’s an idea don’t follow her around like a dog that’s lost its bone. Either take a look and move on about your day or get some balls and go say hello to her!!

July 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
  68. Margeret

This is messed up.
    Why post an article like this???
    Lol :)

July 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
    • Kirstin

Well there must be some reason, even though i agree with you.

Kirstin Hoffman <3

July 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • arun

Tells you how twisted people are getting these days. I think they should put this blogger under psycho watch. He could turn out to a mass shooter at next comic-con targeting booth babes LOL. What non-sense he is posting, man!

July 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
      • Kevin T.

you dumb troll. geeks = mass shooter now? stick to the topic, dumb troll.

July 25, 2012 at 12:45 am |
  69. Stenzel712

Who ever thought Felecia Day was hot?

July 24, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
  70. JV

no one cares about this – write about something relevant that is going on in the country or world – how could this ever get on the front page of cnn?

I'll tell you – because cnn panders to a bunch of idiots

July 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • Chris

Why'd you even read and reply if you don't care. Ignore and move on.

July 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • arun

Hit the nail on the head. CNN is losing it.

July 24, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  71. erin

This is stupid.

July 24, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • arun

Exactly my thoughts. This guy and CNN have both lost it.

July 24, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  72. Matthew

So let me get this straight. Geeks are now mad that are so cool that hot girls are pretending to be them, and it angers them because the hot girls want to wear skimpy outfits around them. Man life in America sure is tough sometimes. Maybe people should stop worrying about what others are doing and enjoy their own lives. Why do you CARE what some one else does for fun? The fact you waste time on that, rather than enjoy your own life shows just how troubled this country is.

July 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • Cabal

First world problems.

July 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • arun

Thats why I called this post the most vacuous inane non-sense ever. Really? Is that where the modern civilization going to plateau? LOL

July 24, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
  73. geeklover

Love the article. You hit the nail on the head with this one. I see these girls and they make me want to punch them. They wouldn't even speak to these guys in school or on the street. Lucky for girls like me, I wasn't so shallow and now I'm married to a "geek". These girls aren't good enough to deserve to be with a geek!

July 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm |

Hater alert. LOL

July 24, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
  74. SD

I agree with the OP. This new fad of having these girls hang out is just plain stupid. If you want to see these types, go to a strip joint otherwise, leave the events alone. These girls are present to do nothing but to increase sales. I ignore them.

July 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  75. sdfg

Why is this article on CNN? How is this news and why do I really care?

July 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • tradingdaze

You expected news on CNN?

July 24, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • arun

CNN is finished. They head is stuck up someone's a$$ I believe.

July 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
  76. Kain

Most hot looking girls on the internet with a show usually were there because their looks drew in numbers.

As others have said, a lot of these girls (I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE BOOTH BABES) at comic cons (especially the ones at LA) are models or actresses trying to get noticed by company execs. They aren't there for the actual content of the convention, but of course since it would anger people to find out the truth, they will proceed to lie to keep the peace.

Either which way because of this, most nerds are reluctant to believe a hot looking girl just happens to be a geek, though there are girls out there, that have had degrees in some area of tech which why is a legitimate reason to be at some of these convention because they are researching something associated with their job but those aren't the real definition of geeks either nor are the these tech girls true geek who proceed to do tech or another geek related topic show geeks because again they never really liked the genre(s). They just randomly picked something at college and went with it.

July 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  77. Chris

re: Felicia Day

She does more than just "choose geeky avenues to focus her interests," dude. She really is a gamer. She was big into World of Warcraft for a while, but has neglected her characters as of late in favor of Skyrim. Go check out her "Flog" (Felicia's Blog) on Youtube in which she has shown off her Skyrim exploits.

July 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • Foodpimp

WOW does not a gamer make

July 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • Kohaku

Really?

Funny.

I thought that WoW was a.. well.. I don't know... A GAME?!?!?!

July 28, 2012 at 9:17 am |
  78. John

Oh, and you know all these geeky hotties? Pictures?

July 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
  79. zenofwordpress

Sounds to me like the makings of a good plot for an episode of The Big Bang Theory. Fake geek girls hitting on the guys!

July 24, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
  80. Ann Marie Lynch

The author in trying not to be a misogynist, is actually diong just that, he's rating women 6's and 9's, and he can't be serious in saying the geek boys object to their presence, who the heck is he to rate anyone by their looks? One mans six is another man's ten...MISOGYNIST BLOGGER!

July 24, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • SD

Wow Lynch. You really like to stretch the premise of an article to fit your personal agenda. Misogynist? lol. Not even close. The only thing you're upset about is that he spoke the truth.

July 24, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
    • John

He tells it like it is, with logic, reason, and citing by example. The truth hurts and is offense to you because it is all true and because you cannot argue a point with logic and reason you make a personal attack on him and call him a misogynist. Typical of women, emotional and unable to deal with the truth.

July 24, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • arun

Thanks for exposing this non-sense blogger. CNN should re-think if they are going to lower their standard to such a ridiculous extent by allowing non-sense bloggers like this dump their mental garbage on here.

July 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • Foodpimp

ann....on the off chance you are not trolling, It is a startrek reference. You may be a herpaderp....or you could be very clever. We shall see.

July 24, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • jm

And a 1 ia always going to be a 1........

July 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • Mary

Seriously? Misogynist? I do not think that word means what you think it means. By rating women on their looks, he's shallow, but certainly not misogynistic. Don't tell me you've never rated a man by his looks before.

July 24, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
  81. Joe Blizzow

Seriously, this blog/editorial has the dumbest articles I've ever read. Who the hell at CNN approves this rubbish????

July 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • arun

Exactly. CNN is making themselves a laughing stock by letting such non-sense authors dump their mental garbage on her.

July 24, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  82. John

Dude, chill! It's like so what? Hot girls that want to hang around geeks and nerds. About time! What exactly is the harm? And bringing Perez into the mix? Dude, whose side are you playing on? Do you know? And why spoil it? You trying to attract the brawny boys who like to chase the hotties? Some fun that will be when the not geek guys start chasing the not geek gurls at the conventions. As yo mama used to say, "Hey, shuta you face!"

July 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • B-roc

Newsflash: "Hot" girls don't want to hang out with geeks. They go where they are paid to go, as in, every single male-oriented convention anywhere, ever. Everyone can shut up now.

July 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
    • GT66

*WANT* to hang around with geeks? Tell me you're not that naive or desperate. They do it for the same reason the majority of women associate with men: for the attention or for the money. Most women not only do not want to hag around with men, they don't even like men on a human level. Why do you thing the laws in this country keeping getting more lopsided and misandric by the minute?

July 25, 2012 at 10:36 am |
  83. sam

I don't expect much from this since it's a blog and not an actual article, but seriously? A Felicia Day vs Olivia Munn fanboy rant? They are both vapid hot-topic booth babes.

July 24, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  84. William Kenney

In my 40+ years in the Computer Industry, and hundreds of trade shows,
    "booth babes" have been a common commidity. After you've done your
    3rd Trade Show it's easy to identify them. Make'em happy and take the
    brochure from the nice young lady. You can always throw it away
    in the next trash bin.

Where do you find the best looking booth babes? A trade show in Paris.
    Been there, done that.

July 24, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
  85. crappygovernment

They're pushing this geek/hipster/nerd/generally undesirable culture crap to make men effeminate.

July 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Maki

Obvious troll is obvious. :| Subcultures don't turn men effeminate. It's a psychological thing.

July 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • Shae F.

Male geeks are effeminate? Oooh, I ought to post that on my FB page. Half my friends' list would be all over you for calling them that.

July 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
  86. dowdotica

times, venues, all things change. use to be when i was a kid all you had to do was know how to roller skate really fast and play pinball and chicks with t–i–t–s? hell-o they'd be askin' us out! love it, i just love it. now the real cool geek? the one so square the chick just trys to play him? he's the one who really wins when he gets her out back and gets a taste of some sticky finger!!!lol

July 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  87. Seriously?

Wow Joe, are you just going for effect here or are you really that naive to believe that these "fake" geek girls actually WANT to be there?! Just like at CES, these girls are in most cases models, hired by the very companies that you geeks adore, to make you drool. If you want to hate, hate on the companies that are stabbing your geekdom in the back. Meanwhile, step aside and watch how to talk to a pretty girl.

July 24, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
  88. arun

hey booth babes are people too. Let them be. Dont be hating! LOL.

What an inane nonsense article. I bet the booth babes have a higher IQ than this blogger. HAHA!

July 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • Tigers2012

They have a higher than you do, that's for sure

July 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  89. skandyl

We true geek girls applaud this. Thank you!

July 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  90. slinky

1) Why should women "finally" participate in a subculture replete with misogyny?

2) What good faith is the author showing by exploring tradionally feminine culture? Oh, right, it didn't occur to him.

July 24, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • GT66

Of course, anything that appeals to males is misogyny right? Of course, idotic fictional malrky like "50 shades" on the other hand is "feminie culture" right? Your are man-hater and a laugh.

July 25, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  91. lazercat

From a genuine girl "geek", thank you.

July 24, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  92. Drewbie

This is the most pathetic piece of bs I've even read on a news site. "We're GEEKS pretty girls are just trying to torture us." Wow grow up and stop being worthless.

July 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • lazercat

I think it's actually more about protecting the people who actually care. Sorry to burst your hatin' bubble.

July 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
  93. Bart

Threatened by hot women. How stereotypical. This smacks of an inferiority complex – only nerdy girls who "get me" can be here. Just enjoy them for what they are, move on and don't write a blog entry about your outrage. Sheesh.

July 24, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • GT66

The hot poser chicks ruin for everyone ESPECIALLY the real geek women because they turn the entire genre into a beauty pageant that is all about them. Tell me the aspiring "models" don't already have enough venues to do their strutting.

July 25, 2012 at 10:44 am |
  94. Randall "Texrat" Arnold

As a naive, geeky teenager I never in my wildest dreams thought we would be having a conversation about geekdom being so popular that hot girls wanted to fake their way in.

I was born wayyy too early.

July 24, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • GT66

Right, popular like a parasite considers its host "popular." There's two things in the genre that appeals to these types of women: money and attention. That's it. Their interest in the topic ends when they got their last ego boost and paycheck. They are users and ladder climbers and will contribute nothing to the culture and only word to damage it. What males in the culture should be doing is encouraging the women who are really into this stuff to get more involved. Real women will bring something meaningful to the culture with their own contribution. Honest women add substance. Hipster poser women do not.

July 25, 2012 at 10:51 am |
  95. otherhand

How is this different than when cheerleaders knowing nothing about football? The fact that they are deriving self-esteem from attracting a geek's attention is actually a sign that the geeks are winning. The fact that the shallow are even taking this angle in self-validation suggests that the prestige of geekdom has reached a new height.

July 24, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
  96. arun

Reflects the vacuous inanity of the modern civilization, that this is actually an issue that matters! Seriously? LOL.

July 24, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
  97. Sigh

Big deal. Just enjoy the scenery.

July 24, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
  98. arun

Reflects the vacuous inanity of the modern civilization, that is actually a an issue that matters. Seriously? LOL.

July 24, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
  99. evan

when in doubt blame obama

July 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
  100. wrenthefaceless

Thank you for this article, you cant imagine my personal and my girlfriends frustration with this influx of girls 'geeking' for attention.

July 24, 2012 at 6:49 pm |