Anna Torv's sneak peek at the end of 'Fringe'
Anna Torv at San Diego Comic-Con on Sunday.
July 18th, 2012

Anna Torv's sneak peek at the end of 'Fringe'

"Fringe" has taken so many twists and turns over four years, it's anybody's guess how the series will end for good this season. One thing's for sure: we'll glimpse more of the future.

"Last season, we got a taste of what to expect," "Fringe" star Anna Torv told CNN Geek Out. "2036, here we come!"

We briefly met Peter and Olivia's grown-up child in 2036. What did Aussie Torv think of her TV daughter?

“She’s really sweet. And she’s Australian, so that totally works."

Of course, it's bittersweet when any show is coming to an end, and it becomes all the more real when there's a final San Diego Comic-Con panel to see it off. But Torv is looking on the bright side.

"We’re fortunate that we can end the show knowing that we’re ending the show," she said.

"Our writers are going to be able to do it justice, serving the viewers and serving us as well, because we’ve put a lot in. And we can make it count, knowing we can finish the game."

The show's enthusiastic fans have rallied to keep it going, and those fans – many wearing "Fringe" fedoras – filled the cavernous Hall H at Comic-Con.

“That’s been our core, our extraordinarily supportive fan base, from the start," said Torv.

The show has a lot of heart, dealing with the familial relationship between Walter and Peter Bishop, as well as the romance with Peter and Olivia Dunham (“It would be good if they ended up happily ever after, which they kind of did at the end of season four. But is that the end?"), but its science fiction roots can't be denied and that's a big source of its popularity.

"I feel really proud that we’ve tipped our hat to the genre, and we’ve done it right," Torv said. "But that’s not me, that’s the guys who write it."

Torv herself is not new to the world of science fiction and didn't rule out continuing to explore it, post-"Fringe."

“I’ve always loved sci-fi and I think when people think of sci-fi, they think just of ‘Star Trek.’ They probably really do love sci-fi, they don’t know that’s what they’re watching. One of my favorite books is ‘Neuromancer.’ I read that years ago. Lots of stuff is science fiction, it's not just people in suits."

Posted by
Filed under: Comic-Con 2012 • Fandom
  1. Kurniawan

But isn't it the SyFy (oo trendy) cehnnal now? And don't they show wrestling of all things? Much like TLC it has gone downhill. Remember when junkyard wars was on TLC? What is it now? It needs to be renamed the wedding network, or the John and Kate Plus Eight cehnnal. Trash.

September 15, 2012 at 2:12 am |
  2. InHot

And Sanctuary made a rapid unannounced departure. Once wrastling started SyFy became stunted.

July 19, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Hanan

Giant, human-hating insects ? Bwaha!Bruce, even the kids noeictd that it was the same ship's corridor, the same stock footage of sharks, the same effects shots repeated. And the seven-year-olds weren't afraid once they realized how lame the shark looked.But we had fun. That was the point of watching it.

November 14, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
  3. xfiler93

sad to see the show end. big bummer.

July 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  4. onestarman

I was born in the Early Days of TV and have LOVED it All My Life. There is something very SATISFYING about 'catching' the latest episode of a favorite series. REALITY TV and the CRAP like Wrestling and Ghost hunters that are NOW on 'SyFy' are a SYMPTOM of a DYING INDUSTRY I will MISS

July 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  5. Mei

I liked the series in the beginning but after watching it and realizing the clues were continuous but no real answers, I quickly lost interest. I tried to catch up later to figure out what was going on, since I knew the end was near, but couldn't get back into it. It started out like X-files but was worse, because it did not give resolutions to episodes. It just kept adding mystery without clarifying anything. I'm surprised it stayed on as long as it did.

July 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Jason Glugla

I agree, but X-Files never really did answer the questions either.

July 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  6. mysticxf

It's unfortunate that a country that empties wallets on movies like Avatar and The Avengers can't appreciate a free television show that's worth ten of each of those movies. Oh, wait, but it's SO hard to follow. Note to writers: don't write shows that expect the audience to think as the majority prefer to keep that to a minimum... say, whether they would pick Edward or Jacob.

July 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • jimdog33

Sadly, that's what's driving these original shows off-air... mindless reality BS. The budget required for a good sci-fi series greatly outweighs the relatively low overhead for a show where you essentially require a stage set.

July 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  7. TREV

Oh no, I can’t believe this is going to be the final season of Fringe! It has been one of my all time favorite and anna torv is so brilliant and beautiful..her performance in Fringe is so fantastic

July 19, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  8. Archimedes

Product placement has gotten out of hand. Remember Chuck and Subway sandwiches?!? Eureka was a good show. For "SyFy" to cancel it was a mistake. But shows go and are quickly forgotten. At least they left it open ended if another network picks it up or they have a holiday special to bring back "Santa Claus"... Fringe, I like the show. I have trouble remembering what year they are in, which Olivia is which, is that a bad guy who is doing good, or the other way around! Should be interesting how they end it all...

July 19, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  9. doublellnfl

Must have a new reality show coming on, another good Science fiction show bites the dust, soon we will be relegated to all reality shows or star searching programs no more writers need apply..

July 19, 2012 at 11:26 am |
  10. iekoop

Agree with all of you! Eureka was one of my favorite shows to watch on TV and I am sad and kinda angry that it ended. Everytime I turn on SyFy, they've got some ridiculous made for tv movie with a half ant half allegator creature eating G list stars (Deborah Gibson, Hello!!??) who no one has cared about in over 20 yrs, or it's wrestling (which I don't understand how that has anything to do with SyFy) or ghost chasing. What happened to the quality shows they used to put out? SyFy has really gone downhill fast. I have no reason to turn it on anymore now that Eureka is gone!

July 19, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • Danny

I am also sad that Eureka has ended. I think it is the best hour long show on T.V. But at least there is still Warehouse 13 that starts this Monday! I wonder how long that show has left. This is its third year so I guess if we are lucky 2.....

July 19, 2012 at 11:32 am |
      • D B in MO

Danny, I'm surprised Warehouse 13 is still on, too! I figured it'd die after season 2. I love that it's back. But I enjoyed Fringe, too, and will be sorry to see it go. And yeah, that wrestling thing on SyFy? Um, nope. Never got that. It's so stupid how they even try to tie the wrestlers into the ghost hunting shows. STOOOPID.
        I just hope the writers tidy up Fringe so we have an actual ending.

July 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  11. I Hate Her

You can thank Bonnie Hammer for that one. She canceled shows due to them not bowing to her order to put product placement into each show. Eureka complied, remember all the Subaru's everyone drove? Farscape did not. She also put in all the garbage like wrestling, ghost drek and she was responsible for the rename. She doesn't care about fans, she just cares about $$$.

July 19, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • Danny

don't forget all that Degree crap as well

July 19, 2012 at 11:24 am |
  12. King

Even the commercial ad spots have been crap. Remember that awesome SciFi spot where Jet Li had all these sensors placed all over him and they were trying to measure the speed of his punch? Those ad spots were amazing. I love Eureka, but that show is ending, and to me, when it goes, so do I.......cuz alphas is retarded.

July 19, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  13. Why No Long-Term SciFi shows anymore?

Why does it seem that SciFi shows only last 4-5 years lately? Oh – except for stupid, insipid ghost hunting/chasing/videotaping/faking. And wrestling. Wrestling? SciFi? HUH???

Canada has this awesome cable channel called "SPACE". It's what America's "SyFy" network SHOULD be – but isn't.

Someone needs to fire the moron at SyFy who:

1. Introduced Wrestling to the channel.
    2. Introduced all the insipid Ghost shows
    3. Renamed SciFi to SyFy
    4. Cancelled REAL scifi shows to be replaced with drek

Then neuter his replacement so that none of his pre-pubescent brats can dictate what's broadcast.

July 19, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • n4tacon

Agreed! The SciFi channel used to be so much better. Now? It's a waste of time.

July 19, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • Danny

the reason for the name change was that NBC could not copy-write the name Sci-Fi, since it was a genera. So they could not make money off the name. So there you go it is all about the money. Yeah and wrestling on a science fiction channel????

July 19, 2012 at 11:28 am |
      • Logic

Wrestling? Well it is fiction so they got half of it.

July 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • rojopa

I totally agree. Who in their right mind thought that it would be good to have wrestling on a sci-fi channel? Maybe because it is beyond belief?

July 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm |