'Hobbit,' 'Iron Man,' 'Godzilla' wow fans at Comic-Con
The Iron Man-gloved Robert Downey Jr. made a memorable entrance in Comic-Con's Hall H on Saturday.
July 15th, 2012

'Hobbit,' 'Iron Man,' 'Godzilla' wow fans at Comic-Con

Fans oohed, aahed, screamed and at times cried on Saturday afternoon in San Diego Comic-Con's famed Hall H.

It wasn’t a swoon-worthy "Twilight" panel causing all the ruckus though.

The long-awaited "Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" was one of several upcoming movies being teased with appearances by cast and crew. Hall H lived up to its reputation as a place where nerd dreams come true, if the reaction of the crowd - many of whom had been in line for hours - was any indication.  Both Sir Ian McKellen and surprise guest Elijah Wood received standing ovations.

In the case of the J.R.R. Tolkien classic, the fans’ reactions - and dogged faithfulness to the characters - often go back to their early years.

"I've been a huge fan of 'The Hobbit' since I was 5 or 6, when my dad read it to me," said Antonio Cazzato of Santa Cruz, California.

"I love 'The Hobbit,'" said comic book artist Holly Golightly. "I remember reading in our class. … It changed my life. Those books are the reason that I'm a comic book artist. To see a glimpse of something that might inspire me and give me a lift - I think 'The Hobbit' (film) is going to be one of them."

George R. R. Martin, author of the "Game of Thrones" book series, was similarly inspired by Tolkien.

"I'm a huge fan of Peter Jackson. I love the 'Lord of the Rings' movies," he said. "I love what I've seen of 'The Hobbit' so far, so I'm looking forward to that one enormously."

Still, some Tolkien traditionalists were unhappy to learn that a female elf character, played by Evangeline Lilly, was being added to the fold. Writer Phillippa Boyens explained to the audience the reason: There were far too many men in the movie.

The audience cheered at brief glimpses of McKellen, Orlando Bloom and Martin Freeman,  and seemed mesmerized by the extensive footage. A high point was Andy Serkis' F-bomb-dropping rendition of the Gollum voice.

Of course, this being a Hall H panel, the Warner Bros./Legendary Entertainment pair (Warner Bros. is owned by Time Warner, as is CNN) had a couple of tricks up their sleeves. It's become expected practice at Comic-Con for large entertainment companies to spice up their panels by interjecting quick, funny appearances promoting upcoming movies.

Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis showed up to shill "The Campaign."

After Guillermo Del Toro's much-anticipated "Pacific Rim" panel, a surprise second movie trailer based on the Japanese kaiju genre unspooled. This time, it was a direct inspiration: a reboot of "Godzilla." When the legendary monster roared, it shook Hall H to its core and the audience roared back in approval.

And then there was the little matter of DC Entertainment's follow-up to "The Dark Knight Rises," a brand-new take on Superman entitled "Man of Steel."

Fan favorite director Zack Snyder's trailer looked unlike anything he had ever done before, and one fan wept when he got the chance to ask a question of Snyder and the new "Supes" himself, Henry Cavill.

At least for a moment, it seemed that Superman was due for a triumphant return on the big screen. Of course, next summer, this granddaddy of superheroes will face stiff competition.

The Marvel Studios panel featured the first look at "Iron Man 3" as well as announcements about "Thor: The Dark World," co-starring "Chuck's" Zachary Levi, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," "Ant-Man" and "Guardians of the Galaxy" films.

Out of nowhere, Robert Downey Jr. made a guest appearance, dancing his way to the front of Hall H to the music of Luther Vandross.

Wearing an Iron Man glove, Downey introduced a trailer for the half-finished film, which revealed (SPOILER ALERT!) that Tony Stark's home is attacked by fan favorite villain the Mandarin, played by Sir Ben Kingsley.

Fan expectations for this could not be higher, following the runaway success of "The Avengers."

"I enjoy the character of Tony Stark, I care about him, so I want to see more story on him," said Golightly.

The combination of Marvel and Downey is a 101 course in showmanship. The studio consistently delivers Hall H thrills. Downey fed off the crowd's energy and even led the panel and the entire hall in singing "Happy Birthday" to a 15-year-old attendee.

In fact, "Iron Man 3" director Shane Black said that Downey basically is his flamboyant character Tony Stark.

"You’re saying I'm an ass--?" Downey joked.

"A rich ass--," Black replied.

Posted by
Filed under: Comic Longbox • Comic-Con 2012 • Fandom • Otaku • Squee!
  1. Melvina Papazian

Cake is a form of bread or bread-like food. In its modern forms, it is typically a sweet baked dessert. In its oldest forms, cakes were normally fried breads or cheesecakes, and normally had a disk shape. Determining whether a given food should be classified as bread, cake, or pastry can be difficult.'

View the most recently released posting at our very own blog

April 22, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
  2. Aykut

Your best bet is the Gamecube version which, of coruse, can be played on the Wii as well. That game is so good, it has spanned 3 generations of consoles. Oh, and thanks for the reference!

September 12, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  3. Guilherme

Tcheck Posted on THANK's for these information.i'm a caenaoomirn,civil servant,handling the diploma of the national school af sdministration and magistrature.i studied social science.I m a social worker working now for 10 years ago;i expect to benefit this scholarship but i need more information and how i can be choose as a candidate;i'm waiting please.

August 5, 2012 at 3:02 am |
  4. Francis

Hi Hobbit-Lovers! That last Hobbit hole cake was made by me for my son's 9th birthday! I did model it after the last scene in ROTK, but I was just using it as a gaernel model for a Hobbit-esque cake with a Hobbit-esque, uh, Hobbit. Hope you guys like it. It was a blast to make!

August 2, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
  5. JBW

YES! The Mandarin in Iron Man 3! Can't wait!🙂

July 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Sergio

I'm seventeen and signle, but I've already decided what my wedding cake needs to be: Bag End, with Sam carrying Rosie across the threshold. (Adorable!) I hope it can be as beautiful as these hobbit hole cakes, especially the first one. (And I hope I marry a geek!)

August 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
  6. 0rangeW3dge

Simon Pegg / Nick Frost ??

July 19, 2012 at 12:58 am |
  7. child of midian

In a lot of ways Jackson gets away with more than most directors adapting long beloved books. I see a few reasons for this though; The books are mythological old, nearly no one going to see the films was alive when The Hobbit was published. The stories had an odd not-quite-adult – not-quite-childrens books feel. Many things in the books would look outlandishly silly on screen and largely caused the animated films to be so horrible. Also Tolkien wrote more of plot than characters, so to bring emotional connections some tweaking was done.

July 16, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • PAUL

I KNOW WHEN TO ??

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZaNZ-jlZ-w&feature=plcp

July 18, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
  8. GetOffYourHighHorse

I found Jackson's elves way more manly than the ones portrayed in the books. In the books, they were always prancing and singing. I would have loved to see Legolas prance around like he did in the book.

July 16, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • solex

A lot of Tolkien "Purists" were upset with the movie portrayal of the main characters.

Legolas was a Sindarin elf – Black hair not Blonde.
      Gimli – Since when did the Dwarves speak with fake Scottish accents?
      Arwen did NOT rescue Frodo – Glorfindel did, etc.

But I imagine that to tell a good story you have to make some changes.

July 16, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
      • J

Especially an epic story like LotR ... spanning how-many-thousands of pages, with literally a hundred+ named characters.

And in a movie (in a theatre anyway), you can't just skip back a bit to remind yourself who that person is ... so they make adjustments, try to make each character stand out a bit. Blonde Legolas was a stark contrast to dark-and-broody Strider. Faux Scot dwarf was easily distinguishable from everyone else. Saruman has a much darker complexion and hair color than Gandalf... plus he sounds like freaking Christopher Lee, compared to Sir Ian McKellen's softer spoken portrayal.

As a test, ask someone who isn't terribly familiar with the books tell you which one is Merry and Pippin (from a picture of the two) they both look reasonable similar, spent a lot of time on-screen together, and are harder for most people to distinguish. Every other main (or main-ish) character had some defining trait that allowed the layman (lay-fan?) to remember them easily. and if you've gotta make up a few of those details, so be it.

July 16, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • Thinker...

In the Hobbit, Elves were prancy and kind of creepy. In the LotR books, they were portrayed as fairly powerful and wise. The LotR rendition is probably more how Tolkien wanted the elves to be as his world grew since they are very similar to the elves portrayed in the Silmarillion, which is essentially a collection of his works and notes on the First and Second Ages. Generally the farther back you go in his writings the more the elves (or elf like things, many of his earlier writings were only loosely related to the world he built) resemble the ones in the Hobbit. Same with alot of his creatures. Only Hobbits, Gandalf, and Gollum remain fairly static between the two stories. Trolls are very different in the Hobbit when compared to the couple you read about in LotR for example. Same with Orcs.

It will be interesting to see what direction the movie takes on the varied races, but I expect them to be more like the LotR races than the ones portrayed in the Hobbit.

July 17, 2012 at 10:15 am |
  9. Daws

"Tony Stark's home is attacked by fan favorite villain the Mandarin" What is Iron Man fighting oranges now? Boy they must be hard up for new plots...😛

July 16, 2012 at 10:37 am |
    • Mitchell1660

God, do you even know who the Mandarin is? Hopefully, you were joking, but I somehow doubt it.

July 16, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
  10. Pants

"Writer Phillippa Boyens explained to the audience the reason: There were far too many men in the movie."

She makes me sick to my stomach.

July 16, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • pygmymetal

I agree. I am perfectly fine with all the books being heavily male, it doesn't bother me a bit. There was Eowyn and Galadriel. I would've preferred seeing Glorfindel, as I LOVED his part in the book. Putting Evangeline Lily in there making stuff up, I don't know, I will wait and see but quite frankly, Phillippa, that's a STUPID reason to add a character.

July 17, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  11. disagreement

If this movie is going to be made, lets do it right.

Put Michael Bay in charge and add 1000% more explosions and s!uts.

The protagonist should also be played by Dwayne Johnson.

July 16, 2012 at 8:46 am |
    • BS

That movie has already been made. It's called Transformers. Except it's about robots.

July 17, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  12. Badly-Bent

"Creativity is more important than knowledge" – AE

July 16, 2012 at 8:27 am |
    • Silver Surfer

It's "Imagination" not "creativity" in the quote by Albert Einstein

"Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the entire world"

I have spoken

July 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  13. angryblackman

Sometimes they really know how to blow a good thing. A female elf added because there are too many men? they didnt add latinos, blacks or asians cause there are too many caucasions....sir ben kingsley as the mandarin...last i checked mandarin was chinese/mongolian and sir ben kingsly was not. I get that Ras al ghoul was more a figurehead and could be any race and probably has been through time in order to keep the order he lead alive and doing its job in each era but really mandarin as an anglo....come on....they have been pretty good so far keeping some semblance of balance between hollywood screwing things up and the actual thought process of the comic character creators but I think they have really started to test the limit. So....will I go see iron man? sure cause of all the characters in marvel he is my favorite. Will I go see the Hobbit? no they screwed up when they threw liv tyler (or whatever her name was) in the fellowship in a scene that was not in the book among other really bad decisions) and like a scene out of the 60s when the black people in the theater stood up at the end of rise of the planet of the apes, the scene where aragorn kills the only character of color in the fellowship had the anglos rising up in the theaters cheering. He i like tolkein too but come one...racial tones there or what. So Hobbit no, Iron man ok but they had better explain the lack of Mongolian features on sir ben kingsly.

July 16, 2012 at 8:17 am |
    • JustSomeGuy

You're an idiot

July 16, 2012 at 8:29 am |
      • solex

"+" points for getting "You're" correct over "Your".

July 16, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • Gurgi

the name "angryblackman" says it all, thus no credibility.

July 16, 2012 at 8:53 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I completely agree. We need more movies like Soul Plane! Why don’t you start writing/directing/producing movies right away!

July 16, 2012 at 9:02 am |
      • Reddy

Strange coincidence. With my new A/V setup I was trniyg out various games to check out the difference made, and I thought The Wind Waker would be a good one to check out for its cel-shaded look. However I did not find it. I've got its CASE, which is on the shelf, but it was in a minidisc snap case along with a set of others, but it's not with them. Bah.

August 3, 2012 at 6:48 am |
    • angrywhiteman

I can't believe 'white girls' was made with so many black figures and two blacks trying to look white, why didn't they call it 'black girls'? or 'mexican girls'?

Seriously, shut the hell up.

July 16, 2012 at 9:13 am |
    • Marney

Are you seriously that sensitive and racist?! What a sad life you must have..

July 16, 2012 at 9:17 am |
    • Dan I

Where, exactly, in the Fellowship of the Ring, did Aragon kill ANYONE in the Fellowship, let alone the "only character of color?"

July 16, 2012 at 11:58 am |
      • LOL

i GUESS THE URUK-HAI WERE BLACK? LOL

July 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
      • Thinker...

Exactly what I was wondering...

July 17, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • Malfean

Sir Ben Kingsley is actually Indian.. from India. So I'd say that gives him the right to do it.

July 16, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
      • Manuela

So, I scrolled down and sttared looking at the (beautiful) pictures before I read the bit about the double Sunday Sweets post–I kept thinking, "Wow, Cake Wrecks has really developed some unforgiving standards for what's considered a wreck!";)

August 2, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
      • Horia

Posted on If you still aren't sold on Dance, it's about The Super Young Team from Final Crisis, which has the following rotser:Most Excellent SuperbatBig Atomic Lantern BoyWell Spoken Sonic Lightning FlashShiny Happy AquazonShy Crazy Lolita CanaryThat is all.

August 5, 2012 at 1:07 am |
    • MrId

And the white man sent the black man to kill the brown man in a foreign land for oil in the sand. Understand?

July 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Wrenn_NYC

Ben Kingsley was born Krishna Pandit Bhanji. Okay, so he's not chinese/mongolan, he's at least asian. - Indian. And he has a history of playing asian roles.

The Mandarin the son of a mongolian father (descended from Ghengis Khan) and english mother.

I'd be more worried about HOW Kingsley will play him. He's not a young man, and the Mandarin aside from his scientific genius and tech prowess, is supposed to be a phenomenal athelete and a martial artist. They're going to have to play down that bit.

July 20, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  14. Leigha

Reading these posts so early in the morning sitting at my work desk...great way to start Monday. I couldn't attend Comic-con, but the nerd rants make me feel as if I were there. Thanks, guys and gals, for the giggles. Looking forward to the hobbitses, elves, etc.

On a side note, Robert Downey Jr. gets hotter and hotter the older he gets. Tastey.

July 16, 2012 at 7:43 am |
  15. LT

Robert Downey Jr....you ARE Tony Stark....you ARE IRON MAN!!!! YEAHHH!!!!!!!! Super CooooL!!!!! 🙂

July 16, 2012 at 7:07 am |
    • Starcraftre

When they announced he was going to play Stark before the first one, my only thought was: "Is that even going to be an ACTING job?"

July 16, 2012 at 8:22 am |
    • Marney

Somebody get this person a new keyboard!!...... His caps lock keeps sticking!

July 16, 2012 at 9:20 am |
  16. Anita M. Dysinger

OMG, is it me, or is Robert Downer Jr. is getting hotter and hotter!! You;re awesome as "Tony Stark" Keep on rockin'!!!

July 16, 2012 at 5:26 am |
  17. Gollum

Silly hobbits... dix are for chix.

July 15, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Dave, CA

That's no way to talk about your moma.

July 15, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  18. jdurand1970

Sounds like a certain commentor, who posts under multiple names, has a fascination with the phrases "overwrought" and two-dimensional".

I was embarrassed for you the second time you used them in your post, but after the third time I just felt it was ridiculous.

July 15, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • maggotfist

you must be referring to "SixDegrees".

July 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • magnus

LOL, i read the posts of 'sixdegrees' and you are right on.

July 15, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Stuffy wrinkled shirt

It's so ironic that they hold the Comic-Con in one of the most beautiful beach and sun soaked locations. It's a shame nary a person will venture out and actually see the ocean,sand and blue sky. It seems as though all the Con inhabitants are more at home in a mercury vapor lit window-less warehouse environment.

July 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • Draeggo

Really? they come to a convention and you think they should be doing something else. Why? They aren't normal... aren't decent or intelligent? What's your point?

July 15, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
      • Stuffy wrinkled shirt

My point brah, knock some windows in that convention center!

July 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
      • Herlat

Hmm.. AVG just gave me a threat block wnnirag when I clicked on this news link.news.mymiddle-earth.net/images/ranks/jquery.facebox.php is the exploit link error. Is this a facebook applet?

August 5, 2012 at 12:34 am |
    • Alan Dean Foster

The fans enjoy all of that. As for the beach, you're a fool if you drive to Comicon and attempt driving in and out of a (fortunate) parking space for the duration of the day. As to that, try finding a parking space at Mission or Pacific beach on a July afternoon.
      You are hereby sentenced to 4 hours parking charge at the Coronado. Take out a loan.

July 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
      • Stuffy wrinkled shirt

So hold the event in a parking lot utopian environs such as the Rosemont Horizon in February.

July 16, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Cherie

Right, because all those who attend Comic Con are freaks who shun the sunlight? Please, do us a favor, crawl back under your little pebble. Thank you.

July 15, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • Dave, CA

Don't hurt yourself jumping to all those conclusions.

July 15, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • Gurgi

You must watch too much "Big Bang Theory," and believe it to be 100% factual.

July 16, 2012 at 9:01 am |
      • Stuffy wrinkled shirt

I watch because it 'tis realz.

July 16, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  20. ormocleyte

Isn't the Mandarin supposed to be Chinese? Nothing against the much beloved Ben Kingsley, but why wouldn't they cast a Chinese actor to play a Chinese character? John Wayne was also a beloved actor but he was a terrible Genghis Khan.

July 15, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • Steve

Your Mandarin/Genghis Khan comparison has one rather obvious flaw, Genghis Khan actually existed. I hardly think that anyone is going to care if the Mandarin is no longer Chinese, Nick Fury was always Caucasian but I think Samuel L. Jackson did a great job.

July 15, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
      • hatboy

Genghis Khan did exist.
        So what?
        That wasn't his point.
        His point was that Genghis Khan was a Mongol - an Asian, not a person of Scots-Irish descent, like John Wayne.

July 15, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
      • Dan I

The movie version of Nick Fury is based of his incarnation in the "Ultimate Marvel" universe. In that incarnation Nick Fury was actually modeled off of Samuel L. Jackson (this is before any of the movies started). So Nick Fury has not "always been caucasian"

July 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • Alan Dean Foster

PC economics rule. The producers want the film to play well in China. Wouldn't happen with a Chinese villain. Hollywood is already kowtowing (to use the appropriate term) to the Chinese govt. in their portrayal of Chinese characters.
      Dang it, I miss Fu Manchu.

July 15, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
      • kerfluffle

I miss Charlie Chan.

July 16, 2012 at 9:52 am |
    • kake79

The Mandarin's mother was from England.

July 16, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  21. Clark

Waitng for the "Man of Steel" !! Long live Smallville!! Tom Welling and Erica Durance –you rock.

July 15, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • minhajarifin

Love Superman!

July 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Tonytigrr

Erica Durance!!! Yummy!!!!!!

July 16, 2012 at 9:59 am |
  22. vulpecula

in 30 years, these movies will be forgotten. the book will however, continue to live on as a classic.

July 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Biggs

Wrong, they are classics, sorry to disappoint but you sound like a book snob.

July 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • blechs

The books were barely passable as literature. The movies were easily ten times better. The Hobbit was a really good book though, hope they can top it!

July 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
      • Firstlord

July 15, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
      • Rick

wow, you actually made it a point to make yourself look like a total tool today huh?

July 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • SixDegrees

'"Barely passable as literature"? What do you consider literature, the Twilight series?' – Uh, Tolkien may provide an enjoyable read, but great literature his works are not. His prose is plodding and overwrought, and his characters are entirely two-dimensional. There is no depth to be found anywhere in his work.

July 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
      • zoso68

You could not be more wrong, or snobby. There has never been an imagination as unique and awe inspiring as his. The Silmarillion is one of the greatest literary achievements of all time and there is nothing that stands next to it in depth and majesty. He created a world with more depth and mythos than any other, and is the benchmark for any fiction writer. On top of being one of the most respected philologists, there has never been a writer with more attention to DETAIL. The Silmarillion was his crowning achievement, that he started writing in the trenches of WW1 until his dying day, and he left Christopher Tolkien, his son, to compile it. Read Children of Hurin, rivals any Shakespearean story and certainly has more depth than your taste. The Hobbit is a book that was meant for younger readers, by the way, yet that does not take away any of its brilliance.

July 15, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
      • maggotfist

I had a good chuckle at this post.

We were all laughing at him until someone pointed out this is obviously a troll, even by today's standards no one is that uninformed.

6/10 for a decent troll. You fooled me for a bit anyway. 🙂

July 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • Cherie

I believe you are incorrect. The Lord of the Rings movies, just like Harry Potter, are ALREADY classics. So...what exactly are you talking about?

July 15, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Spartacus

omigosh... the Smaug cake... all that comes out of my mouth is some strange, unitiellngible combination of consonants and vowels. O_o I think that cake would totally get hoarded by a dragon.So excited for the Hobbit!! WV: "crossi" (cross-eye): all of the magnificence of these cakes makes me feel all crossi.

August 2, 2012 at 10:51 am |
  23. DD

I was never impressed by the Tolkien books, but I became a fan of the movies & eagerly anticipate that The Hobbit will be as good or better. Comic book movies, groaning about yet another redo!! There are SO MANY original ideas just begging to be filmed, remakes are getting sickening!

July 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • refugeek

Some people like to hang out with old friends. Your offhand dismissal of Tolkein, and your overall negativity, are an indication that you probably don't have any old friends.

July 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • SixDegrees

I can only agree. I enjoyed reading the books – more than once – but I've never mistaken them for great literature. The language is overwrought and the characters are two-dimensional – at best. A fun read, but not a deep one.

I very much enjoyed the movies, too. But Jackson is no Orson Welles, and LOTR is no "Citizen Kane".

July 15, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
      • GetOffYourHighHorse

Citizen Kane is an example of a bad movie. Boo hoo, I miss my sled. What a crock.

July 16, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • maggotfist

Why on earth would anyone admit they do not possess the intellectual capacity to appreciate Tolkien?
      Even children love Tolkien, which puts you pretty low on the list, Cletus.

July 15, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • mdmann

So then why don't YOU make one of these many original ideas?

July 15, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
  24. SixDegrees

Well, the Tolkien nerd-rage was certainly predictable. Tough. Different medium, different time – slightly different movie. I could care less about whether Tolkien's depressingly two-dimensional, emotionally vacant characters are interchanged with different genders – let's face it, if JRR were here today, he'd insist on producing the full-on, inter-species gay hobbit-on-dwarf pron he originally intended – and I'm sure I'll enjoy this film at least as much as I enjoyed Jackson's three other excellent ventures in Middle Earth. Those griping need to get back to their basements and mourn their sad lack of lives.

July 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • Rich

You meant, "I could NOT care less," Common mis-statement of the phrase but somewhat surprising in this arena of self-professed geniuses and nerds. For you to say, " I could care less about whether Tolkien's depressingly two-dimensional..." indicates that in reality, on some level, you DO care....which I believe negates the actual thought you were going for. 😉

July 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
      • blechs

Rich, if Tolkien had you as his editor, I believe his LOTR trilogy would have been much, much better.

July 15, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
      • SixDegrees

On the contrary – I said exactly what I meant to say. Re-read, this time with attention.

July 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
      • atom

yup, should be 'couldn't care less' unless he meant that he actually does care, and thats why he's posting so much here lol ...or a bored, sad, troll

July 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • tarthethird

Six, you do realize that the more you post about this subject, the more you seem exactly as pathetic as someone who does indeed live their parents' basement? I'd give up while you're behind. Oh, and please, say overwrought one more time.

July 16, 2012 at 12:16 am |
      • Tonytigrr

Overwrought, hehehehe, overwrought, hehe....two-dimensional. Hehehee.

July 16, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • GetOffYourHighHorse

You are correct about the ghey undertones in LOTR. But hey, if you were on an adventure with your servant boy for years and years, you might swing that way too.

July 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Olivia

Los Angeles!? damn thats far! I hope they got good old British Columbia on their list when 2012 rolls around.If not, can somnoee build me a cement hexigonal platform in Los Angeles that has the aproiate triforce carveings on it, then write me a proper 5 to 8 note tune of which to play on my enchanted ocarina?

September 12, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • Davi

the first time I saw her I thought "oh hey! its a yoguenr TP Zelda with blonde hair and bangs!" She also looks a lot like child Zelda from OoT 3DS, if she hadn't been wearing that head dress thing.

September 15, 2012 at 1:44 am |
  25. Dave

@bob aussie: I understand and respect your point of view, but I simply don't agree. JRR Tolkien created a masterpiece. Altering it to "create a greater market appeal" is, IMHO, crap. Have Shakespeare's works been improved by some Hollywood director? Homer's? Ovid's? Aristotle's? And, oh, yes, BTW, in my book, JRR Tolkien rates in that esteemed company. Adding a female elf to "include the women"? I guess it will make money. That's what it's all about, right, tiger? Last I checked, there were plenty of female readers of "The Hobbit." No female elf required. Sad, and telling.

July 15, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • SixDegrees

There has never once been a film made from a novel that followed the novel in its entirety. Successful adaptations have universally been the result of allowing the director to have free reign over the material. Attempts to slavishly imitate written source material have always faltered and been worse for the attempt.

Please don't even try to tell me that getting rid of Tom Bombadil wasn't one of the greatest creative achievements of all time, or that chucking several hundred lines of badly overwrought doggerel wasn't a vast improvement over the original. Jackson't vision was spot-on in the LOTR films, and I have no reason to believe it will be otherwise in "The Hobbit".

July 15, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
      • s1helipilot

He said overwrought again hehehe....delicious.

July 20, 2012 at 12:47 am |
    • LadyArwen

I agree with you. I have loved the books since I was little and never thought it was missing female characters. Tolkien had a wonderful sense of humor and I think he was a great writer. However very few of us would go a 30 hour movie so
      cuts had to be made but adding characters is really unnecessary.

July 15, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
      • LadyArwen

I meant I agree with Dave

July 15, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • Wrenn_NYC

'adding a female elf' is not what they did, though.

What they did was give that female elf who was already there a bit more to do. And they did it at the expense of another minor character that happened to be male.

Lets get this straight guys. Arwen was already there. Elrond's daughter. But she had nothing to do (I'm using polite words here in place of what I usually say about this) except wait around for Aragorn to save it all and then claim her hand in marriage.

In the books you first meet her when Frodo wakes up in Rivendell. She sits beside her father at dinner. We know from Aragorn's POV that they'd met years before. We next hear of her when right before Aragorn walks the paths of the dead. Her older brothers bring him a banner, with the symbols of his ancestry on it. The kings banner.

In the books, Arwen is the prize that Aragorn is fighting for. Elrond stipulated that he had to be King of Arnor and Gondor before he'd allow her to wed Aragorn.

Giving her other things to do, like taking Glorfindel's part at the ford, saving Frodo on his way to Rivendell. If you read the backround material, you know that it was Glorfindel who prophecized that the Witch King (Nazgul leader) would be killed by no man, and that Legolas' part in the fellowship was originally supposed to be Glorfindel (original drafts – likely because as one of the 'first born' he was a bit too powerful to be sent on the quest. He was probably almost as strong as a wizard, and in the stories outside of LOTR, the only living person who had killed one of the newer generation balrog's single handedly). Glorfindel is blonde in the books. Legolas, blackhaired.

They also give Arwen the position of the one persuading Elrond to reforge the shards Narsil (held on display, as it were, in Rivendell)into Anduril, which she then sends to Aragorn in the third movie. In the books Aragorn carries the broken blade with him, and Elrond has the smiths at Rivendell reforge it before the quest even starts, the 'first step' on Aragorn's way to kingship.

Combining relatively minor characters in a book into one for a movie adaptation is the norm. Giving a female secondary character a lot more to do in a movie??? at the expense of male secondary characters??

Your misogyny is showing.

July 20, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  26. SixDegrees

NERD RAGE!!!

July 15, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • maggotfist

....coming from the dweller who has posted here multiple times.
      Rage more, sir.

July 15, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  27. Kay

Peter Jackson loves Tolkien, but he doesn't trust him. That's why he felt the need to add characters and change things that didn't need changing. He thinks he knows how to tell the story better than Tolkien did.

Hobbit will probably end up just like LotR – some good stuff, mostly technical, and a lot of very bad plot decisions made solely because Jackson thought they would be "cool". Tauriel will likely end up being far from the worst.

July 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • Randall "Texrat" Arnold

Oh bull.

July 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • mattmchugh

Blah. Jackson made fine decisions with LOTR. You may agree or disagree with some (I quibble with a few) but he took 250,000 words and rendered 9 hours of exciting, innovative cinema that honored the spirit of the original while making it accessible to legions of uninitiated. I can't imagine it being done any better (and I can imagine quite a bit).

- mm

July 15, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • mistamista

Sadly, you are way off the mark here. Jackson only changed very, very minor things....and of the "changed" items, the most noted is the structuring of the story. It was required to make an attempt to create an ending in each of the three films so that everyone left with some idea of the conclusion of each section. No characters were created subversively to lessen the story, nor were they made to misguide the resulting climactic close. While Jackson is not known for his own writing, I'd have to say that the team that the LoTR folks had and the resulting atory would have done Tolkien proud.

July 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
      • Jim

Unfortunately the climactic close of the movie was out of line with the close of the book. Tolkien himself said that the most important chapter in the trilogy was "The Scouring of the Shire," which was absent from the movie. Cutting things is fine, but completely missing the conclusion of the main part of the story (the Hobbits growing up and being able to take care of themselves, not the rise of Men or Aragorn becoming King or even the departure from Middle Earth) is just poor interpretation.

July 15, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Saibaba

amor November 7, 2009 hi there! ganda ng blog mo simple pero super sweet! i guess konti lang yung tao na moranung talaga magmahal. na after mawala yung love nag end na dun. good for you di ka ganun. ayun.. share ko ito sa facebook ha? para may iba pa makabasa at mainspire. thank you so much.. God bless you!

October 12, 2012 at 11:35 am |
  28. Bobo

Yeck! WOMEN! YECK! Get those women out of my elf and hobbit movie! Too girly!

July 15, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Gollum

Nasssssteeee Hawbits!

We hates them! We hates them..... forever!

July 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
      • LadyArwen

: )

July 15, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
      • Otamorihiko

Hmm, i'm afraid Zelda is going for a caorton look again. As "Twilight Princess" was the "OoT" of the Wii, "Skyward Sword" is definitely the "Wind Waker" of the Wii. Kind of a little put off by it but, hey, it's another Zelda game for the Wii so I will most definitely be playing.

September 15, 2012 at 12:53 am |
  29. Thor

What a blast! I would have given my trusty hammer Mjolnir to have been there.

July 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • LadyArwen

Too bad you didn't have it when you were running around in the forest with Snow White.

July 15, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  30. Lukos58

If Downey is going to wear one Iron Man gauntlet and dance to the stage, he should've done it to Michael Jackson and moonwalked his way across the floor🙂

July 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • moe smith

because being over the top cliche is the way to go...

shut up...

July 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
      • maggotfist

Thank you.

July 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
      • Pants

Whuh? The guy's not allowed to make a joke? Sheesh...

July 16, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • Julioo

Except not we have to deal with some unknown, crap ascters who is going to end up playing the role Ronan is talking about. A role that would take a year to to film is just not going to magically disappear.

August 3, 2012 at 12:23 am |
    • Thayna

Posted on Dammit. I have long been convinced, for rnsoaes unknown to me, that Rumours' came out in 1975, the year that I was born. Kind of disappointed to realize I was wrong about that.Oh, well, I've still got Born to Run.'Love your discussion of the album, totally agreed. There are some great singles ( Dreams is pretty close to a perfect song for me), but put together it's greater than the sum of its parts.I love your music writing, I hope to see more of these!

August 5, 2012 at 1:02 am |
  31. Carl

Too many men in the Hobbit? Give me a break. Were there too many men in "Band of Brothers"? Tell the story or don't tell the story.

July 15, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • Henry

Totally agree. The story is what it is — and there's a reason that millions love it. I hate it when directors and producers tweak things to "expand demographic appeal!" What they do is unravel a story's fabric, tone, and tenor.

July 15, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Nate H

I totally agree. You can't just add women to make it PC. There's just no room. The book was fine, so I'm sure the movie will be good too. Same with baselessly adding minorities – I'm black, and I see no reason to make any Hobbit characters black to "expand the demographics." Just tell the story.

July 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
      • Thor

But couldn't they have added a couple of Marvel superheroes to the Hobbit to add some galactic other-worldly type action? I mean, come on...

July 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • Gollum

Too many hawbitses...... they stole the precious.....

July 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • bob aussie

There are a lot more people than LOTR fanatics that enjoy the movies, including women. The story is in the book. The movie is only one person's (the director's) retelling of the story, taking liberty to tell it from his perspective and in a way that creates greater market appeal. Those of us who are not fanatics appreciate the zeal and enthusiasm of those who are, but we don't mind watching the story, even if it's a little different.

July 15, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
      • Randall "Texrat" Arnold

Exactly. Thanks for the common sense injection.

July 15, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
      • Miguel Valdez-Lopez

You're right.

July 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
    • StClown

That's a bad analogy. The "Band of Brothers" series was based upon historical accounts. Given that it was WWII Europe, you're not just going to toss a woman into the middle of the battlefield.

As for "The Hobbit", changing an elf from male to female isn't such a stretch. Look at Jackson's portrayal of the elves in the LOTR movies; many of them are quite dainty in appearance, disguising the truth of their appearance. Simply making a wood elf female won't change the story, it just changes a character. And it would be a slight change if the role isn't se xed up needlessly.

July 16, 2012 at 10:06 am |