Daniel Tosh’s show debut causes few ripples at Comic-Con
Comedian Daniel Tosh has faced criticism over jokes he told recently in which he reference rape.
July 14th, 2012

Daniel Tosh’s show debut causes few ripples at Comic-Con

In light of the controversy comedian Daniel Tosh created by joking about rape in a comedy club recently, his upcoming Comedy Central cartoon "Brickleberry" seemed to be at a crucial juncture at Comic-Con.

The animated show about forest rangers focuses on adult characters. Rumors swirled (but even RumorFix commenters were pointing out inaccuracies) in the run up to the panel that the cartoon was frantically getting scrubbed of any rape jokes before its Comic-Con debut.

The panel on Friday afternoon was hardly packed, but was populated with Tosh-faithful.  The pilot for "Brickleberry," which was shown at the panel, is an equal opportunity offender – with or without the reportedly excised rape jokes. It was, however, all about jokes involving animal cruelty, abuse of the disabled, sexist jokes, racial jokes, bestiality jokes, you name it.

"As sick and twisted as that [pilot] is, it was actually pretty tame compared to what comes after," said voice actor Tom Kenny, who plays Woody on the show. Kenny is better known for voicing SpongeBob Squarepants.

Comedy Central has deployed a light touch when it comes to softening the subject matter.

"When Fox passed it was the greatest thing that could have happened,” said executive producer Waco O'Guin. “This show belongs on Comedy Central. When Fox saw that they said, 'we can't air that, that's insane.' When Comedy Central saw it, they said, you guys can go further."

Daniel Tosh did not attend the panel, though he did record an introductory video.

The night before the "Brickleberry” panel, nerdy musical comedy act Paul & Storm presented a skit at w00tstock that analyzed levels of inappropriateness and their relative possible humor.

They presented the ASPCA commercial that is set to Sarah McLaughlin's "Angel," and by changing the background music, measured whether or not the commercial had potential humor. The comedic duo proceeded to plot examples of inappropriate topics on an X/Y axis, defining which topics were safe or not so safe for a comedian to tackle.

Rape was not plotted on their skit's graph.

"Apparently in (Tosh's) act, he was trying to make that point that anything can be funny," said Paul Sabourin of Paul &Storm, "but from what I can tell he was doing it in a pretty unartful way."

"That's the thing," Storm DiCostanzo said, "there are topics that some people never will think are funny."

But he was quick to point out that comedy clubs, like the setting of Tosh's rape joke and confrontation with a fan, used to be places where things were expected to get uncomfortable. "Now, of course, anything that's said anywhere can potentially be said everywhere," DiCostanzo said.

"Exactly," Sabourin said, "just ask Michael Richards."

"As comedians, and not knowing all the facts, we're not here to judge," DiCostanzo said, but in the wake of an internet maelstrom, "a simple apology and one that's unequivocal, is usually a good thing."

And although Tosh made apologetic statements on Twitter, "When you're a comedian with a television show and that kind of profile, you have to, certainly, at least be aware that trying to walk a tightrope like that carries a greater degree of danger for you if you fall poorly. Which, it appears he may have done so," Sabourin said.

Are you at Comic-Con? Share your images and video on CNN iReport.

Posted by
Filed under: Comic-Con 2012
  1. movies citadel mall

I savor, cause I found exactly what I used to be taking a look for. You've ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

August 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  2. this website

You can certainly see your skills in the work you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. All the time follow your heart.

July 25, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  3. Our site

I used to be recommended this website by way of my cousin. I'm not sure whether this put up is written through him as nobody else realize such distinctive approximately my difficulty. You are amazing! Thanks!

July 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
  4. Extra resources

Woah this weblog is great i like studying your posts. Stay up the good paintings! You understand, many persons are searching around for this information, you could help them greatly.

July 19, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  5. Bill

I find Daniel Tosh hilarious. FFFFFFFFFFFFFKKKKKKKKKKKK you if you don't

July 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
  6. AJ

Oh noes! People are angry about offensive jokes... sorry, I will take Tosh over lamers like Dane Cook any day.

July 16, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
  7. Chaz

A prime example of a news outlet being disappointed that there was no "outrage" story here. How sad.

Sorry CNN, I guess the whole "live and let live" goes both ways.

July 16, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
  8. Lagos

Three articles about this idiot on the front page in the last week. Thanks for giving this moron a platform and tons of attention, and pretending that what one idiotic comedian says is worthy of being news.

July 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
  9. Burbank

Ugly sick a**hole! I'd like to see his nuts shot off, then we can all make jokes about it.

July 16, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • Bill

Daniel Tosh is brilliant. He cuts no one any slack and his humor is great. I'm in my 60's and love to watch him.

July 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
  10. AA

tosh is hilarious, in my opinion...but that is my opinion. we all have them. if you are a person who gets offended by that kind of humor, why are you going to a comedy club to see tosh?

July 16, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  11. Dave

People, there is nothing funny about Tosh. His comments that are supposed to be jokes that do not resinate any humor. It is totally unbelievable to me that Comedy Central would give this individual 30 minutes of air time to make ridiculous, nonsensical conversation that is supposed to be funny. If you find any of what Tosh does or says funny, I can probably send you into hysterics by poisoning your pets !

July 16, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • Bill

idiot_

July 16, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
  12. Jane

According to the owner of the comedy club, the story the girl posted online was highly inaccurate of actual events.

July 16, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  13. Jason

This guy needs a theRAPIST.

July 16, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • guy

it a tv show not real life

July 16, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
  14. Tosh Fan

Idiocracy is upon us. I'm waiting for someone to have the brilliant idea to actually introduce the nad shot channel! Wouldn't that be great! 24/7 nad shots! Such brilliant humor!! On par with most of American pop culture I guess.

July 16, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
  15. topdog

i can't wait to hear what funny jokes tosh will make on this. easily offended losers are good target for jokes.
    i bet she laughed at jokes on minorities and rednecks doing funny stupid stuff, before she got offended by one joke that reminded her of herself

July 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • loubies

Seriously. Tosh is on par with Eddie Murphy in the early 80's. He a comedic genius.

July 16, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
      • gaydarth

totally agree! Tosh is hilarious! for those offended, I feel bad you are so hurt... so bad... Here, I made a crying emoticon for you :...(

ok, I think we're good now. So please quit you f^ing whining.

July 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
  16. guy

get over it its just tv if a joke not funny its not funny. i dont care dont like get over it

July 16, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
    • MrBo

Deep thoughts with "guy"

July 16, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
  17. Bill

I love seeing how many butthurt faires are offended by this, it's quite amazing. Get a grip. Also, Tosh never should have apologized, he was very kind to the heckler.

July 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Emigdio Alvarez

how is wishing a person got gangr aped being nice?

July 16, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
  18. Mike

Seen some of his show. Seen some of his standup. Can only stomach "some" because he's really not especially funny. Crude, yes. Rude, yes. Funny, no. I seem to recall a "joke" about doing something rather inappropriate to a baby, at which point I realized the extent of his 'shock' approach to humor.

July 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
  19. a famous brony

Finding humor through shock and inappropriateness is a very solid and timeless form of comedy that has existed through out the history of humanity. Making jokes about the darkest most offensive things is just part of who we are as a species.

July 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • Mike

Well said, and quite true. But there are limitations on shock humor. Lines across which it's not funny, or shocking and funny, but is just offensive. Tosh's humor seems to cross the line fairly often to the "just offensive" side rather than stopping at the "shocking but funny" side of the line.

The Blazing Saddles clip in this thread is an example of the Shocking but Funny delivery, rather than the just offensive.

July 16, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
      • Mike's Opinion Only

You aren't the judge of that. Nobody is, like it or not.

July 16, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
  20. Anon

As the famous comedian George Carlin once said, you can joke about anything. It all depends on what the exaggeration is. "I can prove to you that ra-pe is funny. Picture porky pig ra-ping elmer fudd. See."

In this particular example Tosh didn't choose the exaggeration very well, and is getting ripped for it, and rightfully so.

July 16, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
  21. mike

Hey Tosh how about booking yourself into the local prison and see 1st hand how funny R A P E is...see how many jokes you come out with.

July 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • P.RoD

That idiot is not even funny... it amazes me that he's famous for being a "comedian". Then again, most programs on TV these days are absolute garbage.

July 16, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  22. Kati

Okay, I just got off a sound board about an opinion article by two ladies regarding Tosh and, in the process of the discussion, I said that getting verbally attacked by someone is akin to bullying. The result: I was verbally attacked. Can there be a discussion on one of these sound boards that doesn't include verbal assaults and just discussion, or is my search hopeless? Just asking. If i'm attacked again, I'll know the answer.

July 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • Emigdio Alvarez

people are sick. simple as that. whoever thinks r ape is funny need to get their head checked.

July 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  23. mike

So if R A P E is a funny topic what's next Genocide? Joke about gassing Jews in the crowd or hanging ni****s or how about child molestation...not that sounds funny. It makes me sick that to get ratings or more press comedians have to go over and above normal behaviour. Never heard Bill Cosby mention any of these subjects and he was reallyfunny. I guess comedians dont know any new jokes so now vulgarity has become the new humour.

July 16, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • Kati

I understand where you're coming from. I'm not fond of mean-spirited humor, either...you should have been in the sound-off room where the opinion article about Tosh was. Those people were climbing over themselves trying to see who could be the meanest. They obviously love Tosh! Ick!

July 16, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
  24. nuts are fuel

comedy clubs, comedy central, comic book conventions!!!!!, being really into Steve Colber, being able to recite Monty Python movies is all grade A nerd life. Who cares what these herbs say.......they're nerds!!!!!!!!

July 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  25. Justin

Eh, doesn't matter. The show is going to suck and spectacularly flop. It'll last, one season, at best.

July 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  26. Andrew

"R ape isn't funny?"
    "Picture Porky Pig r aping Elmer Fudd, now that's funny"
    -George Carlin

July 16, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • Mr. Brown Eye

It ain't R ape with out an ape- so get to monkey lovin and r ape me

July 16, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  27. Mr. Brown Eye

I got one big Brown Eye winkin at you Daniel, so po ke it

July 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • Lee Harvey

Watch out, Daniel will tongue punch that sucker like a *****man raping a white girl!!!

July 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
  28. kayaker247

I don't see what the big deal is. So the guy made a r ape joke. It might not have happened if she didn't say something about it not being funny. Besides, I should know about the subject, I was actually r_aped by Dave Attell in a comedy club once back 98. #truestory

July 16, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  29. BD

This is a stupid discussion, a comedian saying something offensive isn't news.

On the other hand, somone being stupid enough to think otherwise might be. Tosh isn't even that risque, it only appears that way when you frame it in the context of the mainstream. Haven't we gotten over the whole "he said a bad word, I am offended" puritanical mentality that has held back the moral development of most of the Western world for the better part of the last century.

July 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • Webster

If you don't start speaking English, I'm gonna beat you todeath with a dictionary.

July 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • What? RUStupid?

To answer your question – do you not read the news or watch TV or Twitter or Facebook? The answer is a resounding no.

July 16, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  30. Joe

Don't go see Anthony Jeselnik if Tosh offends you.

July 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  31. guest

July 16, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  32. Guest

He shouldn't have apologized for what he said. That girl may not have intended it, but she was heckling. Tosh did what all comedians do when they're heckled, they quickly say the most offensive thing they can think of to the disrupting person to shut down the heckling because it disrupts the entire show.

She should have apologized for causing the incident, not the other way around.

July 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • Emigdio Alvarez

Like Kramer did to those two black guys?

July 16, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  33. Shamrock

Let's hope good ol' Tosh gets to experience it firsthand. We can all use a good laugh.

July 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • Carl Foster

Or, even worse, a female member of his family. I don't think he would make light of it at that point.

July 16, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
      • Carlos

Let's show the man who wished r ape on someone how unfunny it was, by WISHING R APE ON HIS FAMILY? Is that your logic? Really?

July 16, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  34. John Travis

Lets hook up again soon Tosh!

John

July 16, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  35. fastest way to get rid of a cold

Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I've really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing to your feed and I am hoping you write once more soon!

July 15, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
  36. here

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my web site so i came to return the prefer?.I'm trying to to find things to improve my website!I assume its good enough to use a few of your ideas!!

July 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  37. Dr Freud

Dennis, where are you? I want to start my day off right. Lol

July 15, 2012 at 11:01 am |
  38. oMorda

When you need to push things to that level its a sign of a desperate person. Tosh was funny, and just isn't so much anymore. He's been doing things like this for a while to stay in the light. As they say, "any publicity is good publicity". Sad that he is no longer able to sit down and do the work it takes to actually be funny, and just chooses to coast on controversy.

July 15, 2012 at 7:50 am |
  39. here

It's the best time to make a few plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy. I have read this publish and if I could I desire to recommend you some fascinating issues or suggestions. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles regarding this article. I wish to learn even more issues about it!

July 15, 2012 at 6:07 am |
  40. Mrn1ceguy

Simple way to avoid these thing have the audience at comedy clubs just shut their traps and enjoy the show

July 14, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
  41. JayRV

Tosh is funny. Period.

July 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • Xairesephos

I think he sucks and am looking forward to his flash in the pan fizzling out in good time. What's funny is the money he's bilking from his moronic audience, for which I salute him.

July 16, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
      • Marti

You may feel that they are wasting their money, but they paid to laugh. Since they enjoy his work, they do. So, he earned his money, and they feel it is money well spent. Also, he has been around long enough to not be considered a flash of fame.

July 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
      • Guest

You dumb F*** he's funny becuase he's funny just becuase you don't think he is doesn't mean he isn't.

July 25, 2012 at 3:47 am |
    • J

Tosh is pretty funny, and I've always enjoyed his stand-up routines, but his show bugs and bores me. They'll have a few interesting videos, but the like 95% of it is just people c.rapping their pants, puking on someone, or getting a leg/arm broken in some terrible way.

None of that is funny to me. Or even amusing. GET BACK TO THE JOKES, FUNNY MAN!

July 16, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • Panther7

I used to think that every joke Daniel Tosh made was funny, but something has changed. Tosh.O is not as funny anymore and he seems to have developed a mean streak. Is he cracking under the pressure to stay funny? Has success gone to his head? I don't know but I want the old Tosh back.

July 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
      • Geoff

Yes Daniel Tosh has really Changed .He still has quips but trying way to hard .His comedy is out of Gas. Is it racist is like you might be a redneck if. If you noticed Tosh takes character Traits from each comedian or Late night host he likes. You can tell has a David Letterman trait when he give interviews he also take a trait from Lewis black. He might not steal jokes but he does steal character traits

March 7, 2013 at 10:28 am |
  42. Will i am

Tosh is probably naked right now ma$terbating to all the comments here. I know I am!

July 14, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • RZ70

And if he ever reads your comment he's going to say "Aww... Somebody stole my joke." Good one.

July 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  43. Kev

Tosh is a comedy genius. I think all companies HR Departments should bring him in as a guest speaker so to lighten everybody up. People need to laugh at themselves.

July 14, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
  44. Voiceofreason

I personally think Tosh is hilarious but understand some may find him offensive. So be it. He does push the envelope but - even with the poop and barf – his material is often smart and his delivery is superb.

July 14, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
  45. smithdp

Tosh is brilliant. He pushes the edge but at least he has the nerve to do it. It isn't his humor that is the thing it's his guts. The fact that he can live so close to the edge and still be funny 99% of the time is genius. Does he go to far? Well, how do you know where the edge is if you aren't getting pretty close to it?

July 14, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • Pooks

Being called brilliant for being controversial is like being called God because you took a massive dump. Everyone does it. It's not so brilliant or even really interesting if heaps of people in comedy are just as "controversial." In fact, at this point, controversial isn't controversial anymore. It's just boring. Really, really bo-Zzzzzzzzzzz.

July 16, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  46. Jen

His fans aren't really helping him at all.

July 14, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
  47. Bob B

I know what funny is and it's not Tosh.O . If I flip through the channels and come across the show, I keep on going.

July 14, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • usure

Oh of course you, I bet the millions that watch his show and listen to his comedy would disagree with you. Nice try though.

July 14, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
      • Bitter Reality Check

Millions dont watch his show. Just because you are on TV doesnt mean you have millions of viewers, Comedy Central is a very low rated network, none of their shows have millions of watchers, maybe South Park when it was in its prime. Tosh might have tens of thousands of viewers a night as he is up there in ratings with Teen Mom.

July 16, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
      • Bitter Reality Check

Actually the Daily Show with Jon Stewart might have millions, but I doubt it, it must be by far Comedy Centrals highest rated show though.

July 16, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
      • HolySmokes

Looks like Tosh.0 averaged a 1.6 rating this spring and summer, or about 2.5 million viewers a night. Next time, try using google bitter, it's not hard

July 25, 2012 at 8:51 am |
  48. Guest

Hey, maybe he could include a few jokes about Sandusky raping kids at Penn State. That would be really funny.

July 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • James PDX

Actually, some of the lines posted on CNN about Sandusky have been pretty hilarious.

July 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • mendacitysux

Didn't know Penn State was a Catholic school.

July 14, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Guest

Umm, he actually has joked about that at his past shows. And it was hilarious.

July 14, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  49. Robert

There is a difference between telling a joke and advocating something. Comedians tell jokes, they aren't politicians. Their jokes may be clever but that doesn't mean they are doctrine. They are meant to not be taken seriously.

July 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  50. twistedpuppet

Apologists morons are rampant these days. This entire comments section is proof positive of just how disgusting people have become now days. Especially the apologists. "if you don't get it then you're the stupid one."

To paraphrase a children's story: You have no clothes on at all.

July 14, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • Don

If you don't like/approve, no one is forcing you to watch it. However, it is not up to you or anyone else to decide for the rest of us.

July 14, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
      • Paul Hartzer

It goes both ways.

I don't find Daniel Tosh funny. That doesn't mean I have a bad sense of humor, that doesn't mean that I should have to sit through an HR-run Daniel Tosh show (as someone here suggested), that doesn't mean anything other than, I don't find Daniel Tosh funny.

Other people do find Daniel Tosh funny. Bully for them. They can go to his shows and watch his programs. I question their taste in humor, but beyond that, so be it. They question my taste in humor, so it's all fair. :)

It's a free country. That means people can like or dislike Daniel Tosh's career choice, and if enough people stop liking it, he'll have to go find something else to do for a living.

July 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  51. Vinny

This guy is pretty damn funny! His show is tìts!

If you are easily offended, you'll be happy when you finally ;ay down to take a dirt nap. Bad jokes won't bother you then, when you're worm food!

July 14, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • Dennis

And sick F***S like you are the reason I'm glad abortions are still legal. Too bad your mom didn't get one.

July 14, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Dennis Dennis Dennis. If you want to ask Vinny out on a date, just ask him. You might be surprised.

July 15, 2012 at 11:21 am |
  52. Jimmie

Dark Knight Rises comes out next week!

July 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • steveo

this is how liberal folks get turned into pathetic cartoon by the right. you get some loud-mouth member of fill-in-the-blank "minority" group (defined as anybody on Earth for a wide subset of characteristics) who is so self-important that THEY take offense to blah-blah-blah and rather than acting like they were NOT raised in a cave by troglodytes, an rather than just shutting the heck up and walking out like anyone with rudimentary manners would, she opened her big yap and told everyone there how SHE was offended. who cares? you're nobody and nobody. quit "celebrating your specialness" and go read a miss manners book so you learn how to act.
      if you go in a comedy club and DONT expect to hear offensive, questionable, off-color stuff, so delusional. I'm not just espousing craziness for craziness sake, but you're in a live-fire zone. if you get hit, shut up and take it like you were raised peoperly. believe it or not, it ISNT all about you.

July 14, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Personally, I was raised in a barn..........by wolves. Pardon me, I really must trim my neckbeard. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
      • Randall "Texrat" Arnold

Liberals express offense after the fact.

Conservative just censor before the public can judge for themselves.

July 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Randall "texrat" Arnold, no real good developers come from UT or anywhere in Texas, for that matter. Just an FYI.

July 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
      • Paul Hartzer

If Miss Manners were really in force, Daniel Tosh and others shock-based comedians wouldn't have careers in the first place.

Back in the day, Lenny Bruce was arrested for his act, and I reckon that wasn't liberals doing the arresting. As Randall points out, the liberal approach is to let people have their say, but to feel free to respond when offended. Because, you know, the First Amendment doesn't mean you can't be criticized by other private citizens for the content of your speech. The conservative approach is just to arrest people before they have their say. I prefer the liberal method.

July 16, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  53. AJT

Daniel Tosh is abosultely hilarious. So are all of the people that are offended by his comedy. You guys need to take the rods out from between your cheeks and stop with all of the PC, BS.

How does that good ole phase go "sticks and stones...."

If you don't like him, don't watch him. im sure the 50% of americans who are legally retarded will struggle mightly with that concept.

July 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Dr Freud

AJT, truer words were never spoken. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  54. Dr Freud

I love a good R A P E joke as much or more than the next guy. LOVE them.

July 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  55. pantagruel30

I kind of like that routine. Are you a writer?

July 14, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  56. Saxxon

I like turtles.

July 14, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • Pooks

I like purple-nurples.

July 16, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  57. angeson

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb funky censurship

July 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  58. Cutty

We're watching a career die. Good.

July 14, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  59. angeson

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF em

July 14, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  60. Eric

The most offensive thing about Daniel Tosh is that he's not funny, he's just obnoxious. Anyone can say something stupid and there will be always be an audience of morons who will laugh at it. Writing humor isn't easy, that's why the best – Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Bill Hicks, Dave Chappelle, Stephen Colbert – deserve the reputations they've earned. Even at their most extreme, their humor is intelligent and nuanced. People like Tosh, Larry the Cable Guy, Jeff Dunham, Parker & Stone, Drew Carey, ad nauseum, are the equivilant of the annoying kids who chase girls around with poop on a stick.

July 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • Nathan

Richard Prior and George Carlin are legends. Jeff Dunham has a clever act. I agree on Larry the Cable guy but the worst one on your list is Chapelle. His show is horrific and he should get a new career.

July 14, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
      • Dr Freud

PS: His "Show" has been off the air for several years, or didn't you get the memo?

July 14, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
      • stinky LaRouche

you know who is NOT funny but everyone says he is so it continues...george carlin. soooo boring! considered a classic or a great...so outdated and BORING....and i grew up in the 60's and 70's...his time....zzzzzzz

July 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
      • Mister Aguas

In my opinion Chappelle's Show had some down moments; it had several mundane and humorless sketches. However, it also had many brilliant and absolutely hilarious moments, and occasionally some funny social commentary. There is a reason why his show was the top dog on COMEDY CENTRAL.

Tosh is not as naturally comedic as Chappelle, but his show definitely has its side-splitting moments for me. But it's not for everyone. And that's fine. I personally feel that Jeff Dunham is a joke and panders to his moronic audience. But that's just, like, my opinion, man. And unlike most people, I understand the difference between fact and opinion.

July 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • pdiddy

and there were alot of people that said george carlin "wasn't funny just obnoxious". I guess you need to ruminate on the wisdom posited by the big lebowski. "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

July 14, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Guest

Who do you think is funny? Jesus?

July 14, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Emigdio Alvarez

I disagree with your worst comedians list. Parker and Stone are the best. their cartoon is actually more informative than half of CNN's junk articles.

July 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  61. ivantsubasa

Sadly many people think this is humor, specially the new generation of people that are more and more insensitive now in this days (Showing or feeling no concern for others feelings) (that's Tosh) but make not mistake God cannot be Mock, everything you said and do have Eternal consequences,

But Thanks be to God He show us his Mercy in his Son Jesus the Christ and we can have forgiveness from Sin and have Eternal Life, read to this and consider God Love for you, I know the vast Majority will hate this post, but I know God will Talk to some of you, listen to Him and get close to Him. God will not reproach you.

God bless

July 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • Roberto Clemente

LMFAO, Everyone knows God is a huge Tosh fan. Get with it bro.

July 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • really???

The best comedy of all? That you believe in zombies. Jesus is a zombie!!!!!! Better run and tell your friends!

July 14, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  62. Shawn R

Weak people are offended by words. I'm going to take my ire and point it where it belongs, real criminals. Comedians who people CHOOSE to go see, I'm going to tell the buyer to beware and to the mature thing next time they hear something they don't like...leave, don't interrupt my show just because you have no class and your parents forgot to remind you to not be so self-important.

July 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Cutty

Really? Then remind me to tell you about the one where I'm raping your sister. Hilarious!

July 14, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Actually, the one with your mom getting a filthy sanchez after unwilling "pulling a train" is so much better. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Delphi

"I'm going to take my ire and point it where it belongs, real criminals" - What do you think rapists are?

July 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  63. grasshopper

Tosh is really funny. It's not for everyone, maybe those people still think that SNL is still funny, and for those people that do, please go and watch it. But Tosh is unique, young and spirited, it's really not for old people.

July 14, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Virgil Cole

It's not humor unless you can make someone laugh without simply saying something derogatory.

It's the intellectual equivalent of laughing at someone farting from their armpit.

July 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
      • Brenda

There's always a joke. If you don't get it, then you'll take it as offensive. Bottom line: If you find it offensive, you should know that it's your fault.

July 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
      • Dennis

Brenda.. There always isnt a joke, there is the potential for people to joke about something which they dont fully grasp the depth of the event / situation or the damage it causes(d)..
        Its only 'funny' because he never dealt with it, he never was impacted by it. It doesnt mean ignorance of such an event excuses the attempt to make light of something that isnt funny... I am the first to say comedy is a pretty open forum, but there are and should be limits.

July 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm |

Dennis, the "joke" is in your hand. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • PulTab

Some of us "old people" like him. I never miss his show on CC. He makes me cringe a little now and then, but if you're thin skinned, you should probably watch something else.

July 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • reader

yea parents don't get it because their ears are old,. Tosh is swik, super swik!!

July 14, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  64. Virgil Cole

==========================================

Then why did you take it to Fox first? Why didn't you take it to CC to begin with?

If Fox hadn't passed this idiot would be praising their "vision".

July 14, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • eric

because FOX is a major net work and would/could have paid considerably more than CC and gotten the show wider exposure?. . .

July 14, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  65. Dennis

you know what would be funny? if tosh were r-aped in a back alley.. i bet he would laugh about it soooo hard.

July 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • 666

get a life...

July 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
      • Dennis

I have one... and it includes knowing that just because i can say something, doesnt mean i should. its called having class.

July 14, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
      • Chip Smith

Hey everybody, Dennis has class, just ask him.

July 14, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
      • Dennis

"Chip" clearly you do... thanks for joining in.

July 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm |

True dat. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Cutty

Bingo, Dennis. Funny if it happens to you or a loved one?

July 14, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
      • Dennis

That was my point.

July 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • Dr Freud

Dennis, don't worry, he tells lots of gay jokes for people "like you" also. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
      • Dennis

very astute of you that you somehow know my oritentation, gender, and so on based solely on my finding his jokes crass, unfunny and pathetic.. and by astute i mean ignorant and pathetic.

your big-oted post says more about you than it does me.

July 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Dennis, Obviously you need a good cry, soaking in a tub with candles and your "little helpers" in your nightstand to make you feel better. It'll be ok, cupcake. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
      • Dennis

You are doing an amazing job of showing your mentality, maturity, and ability to make a cogent point. keep going. it amuses me that you think our responses are anything but a reflection of your mental limitations.

July 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm |

Dennis, That hurt............deep cut. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
      • Dennis

Oh dont worry, im certain the point and the situation are lost on you. But keep posting, im sure your sentence fragments and pathetic attempts at insult and counterpoints are amusing others too.

July 14, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Dennis, Just an FYI. Chicks use "white knights" like you because it's easy and you're so predictable and pathetic.

July 14, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
      • Dennis

aww now thats just sad... You were doing so well with your childish crass retorts. You ALMOST had something intelligent there, but again fell short. I know you are trying, keep going though, you will get it.

July 14, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Dennis, I bet you can count to "potato!".

July 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
      • Randall "Texrat" Arnold

Someone please pass the peanuts.

July 14, 2012 at 4:04 pm |

Zing..........

Let us know when your drunk uncle is through with you. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Dr Freud

Every "beta" guy like you brings duct tape, roofies and a knife to all your dates. It's the only way you'll get any action without paying for it. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
      • Dennis

ahh yes, when you cant form a coherent argument in your head, you revert to specious insults because thats all your little mind can handle... keep going, its amusing watching you try and come up with something thats even remotely similar to an adult response. show us how big and smart you are, keep going, whats your next little 'stinging' retort...

July 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Dennis, when was the last time you received (or gave) a BJ that wasn't in prison, you didn't have to pay for and/or didn't give you whisker burns?

July 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Dennis, this has been fun tuning you up, but I have women to plough like a cornfield this afternoon. I'll leave you to your life of doing mundane chores and menial services for women who will never sleep with you. Lol

July 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Dennis, I understand. You ARE recovering from those horrible experience with your drunk uncle.

July 14, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
  66. NorCalMojo

Tosh is offensive. Baiting the chronically offended is why he's funny. If you have thin skin, it's probably best not to watch. I don't see him losing many fans over this.

July 14, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  67. PantyRaid

lots of sl utz at comicon

July 14, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  68. Winklebottom

If you're uncomfortable with a subject leave, don't stifle it. I've had a couple tragic events happen in my life and the subject matter has been used in some comic materials for years. Sometimes I laugh, other times it hits too close to home. But I never think that they should stop. I have the option to stop listening so I can choose without being a disruption.

July 14, 2012 at 11:43 am |
  69. Dr Freud

The heckler opened her piehole and got what she deserved. When you go to a show and open you ignorant mouth you get what's coming to you. If you don't what you see/hear, leave. It's that simple.

July 14, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • Melissa

Wow! I doubt you've actually read the post that it refers to. But she wasn't being a heckler. Just stating an obvious fact. Tosh didn't have to say anything to her! Yet, he did, for the joke. What a shame.

July 14, 2012 at 11:39 am |
      • eric

She had no problem PAYING to hear his offensive dreg about fat people, mentally disabled, gays and other minorities. . . one of his jokes struck a personal nerve and SUDDENLY she felt offense? people like her are the reason he has a career. . . I blame her for buying a ticket.

July 14, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
      • pantagruel30

Just because one is "stating" what she considers "an obvious fact" doesn't make her any less of a heckler. An artful comedian can make any subject funny, and clearly the majority of Tosh's audience at this particular club agreed with me.

July 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Melissa, extract your pinhead from your flatulent, corpulent cottage cheese A S S. She commented during his show and got what she deserved. If you don't like what your hearing, leave. It's that simple.

July 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • ET

Hecklers happen at any comedic show and a good comedian can make a good joke out of what they say. Tosh proved in this instance what a poor stand-up he is by resorting to offensive material as a comeback. He's no better than Michael Richards.

July 14, 2012 at 11:54 am |
      • Virgil Cole

Exactly. Imagine the backlash Tosh would have gotten if he was "joking" about slavery.

Audience member: "Slavery is not a joke!"

Would anyone be saying how we shouldn't have "Thin skin" if he was doing that?

Somehow I doubt it.

July 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
      • Lewis Clark

"Tosh: "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if we could still own people"? I could go out and buy 5 or 6 Black people to do my housework right now"!

Audience member: "Slavery is not a joke!"

Tosh: Wouldn't it be funny if we just bought this person right now"? We could pay someone to take her out and whip her like they Used to do their slaves"!"

ACTUALLY, I found your joke funny. Though you ruined it at the end by referencing "used to do their slaves". It was pretty much implied and didn't require the literal explanation.

July 14, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • pantagruel30

Agreed.

July 14, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
      • Jackson

He rehashes popular crap off YouTube. He's no better than that idiot on Ridiculousness.

July 14, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
      • usure

Actually Jackson that is only his show. Based on your ignorant comment I am will to bet you have never even heard his stand up. His bit about pro sports and steroids is hilarious.

July 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm |