Fifty Shades of Confused: Why do people like this book?
June 15th, 2012

Fifty Shades of Confused: Why do people like this book?

A few weeks ago, I heard the sort of whispered murmurs in my local bookstore that are reserved solely for people who want to buy books that they don't want other people to know they are buying. Furtive glances and giggles echoed back as happy customers walked out the door, peering into the brown paper bags containing such worthwhile literature.

Interest piqued, I asked the clerk what book the women had purchased.

"Oh, 'Fifty Shades of Grey,'" she replied. "You don't know about that?"

I was a bit late to the party, admittedly. The novel came out last year and has since drummed up a tremendous amount of attention. A British author named E.L. James penned it as "Twilight" fanfiction at first, then rewrote it with original characters. It tells the story of  a young, inexperienced woman and an older man with a taste for whips and chains. It's like the "Twilight" craze all over again, but with less supernatural creatures and more bondage gear.

I thought I got why everyone wanted to slink out of the store with this book. I spend plenty of time appreciating Japanese and Korean male idols, and I love their sexy photo shoots. "Fifty Shades of Grey" has lots of titillating themes: hot people having hot sex, wish fulfillment, virgin and master. What's not to like?

But I read it. And I just don't get it.

Christian Grey, the novel's central male character, is already a popular heartthrob, despite the fact that fans haven't seen his face outside of their imaginations. And when some hopelessly sexy actor plays him in the film adaption, Grey will skyrocket off the charts as the hottest fictional dude since Edward Cullen.

So why is this guy in so many women's fantasies? And what's the big deal about "Twilight with sex," as "Fifty Shades of Grey" has commonly been called?

Part of the answer lies in fanfiction itself, and the fans that create and consume it.

"I read fanfic mostly for the sense of voyeurism involved, " says Crystal White, professional illustrator and fanfic reader. "I often read fics about characters I'm emotionally invested in. They allow me to observe behaviors and actions that those characters would never normally exhibit within the confines of their original medium. It humanizes these characters, and makes you feel like you know them on a personal level."

White says that the dramatic tone of fanfic is a big part of its appeal.

"A lot of it is written by teen girls locked in their rooms obsessing over whatever character they're writing about, and these fics often tend to be an allegory for their emotional ups and downs. When I'm reading a fic, I'm not looking for classical literature. I'm looking for depression, hate, drugs, sex, abuse, love, death, injury. It's these extremes that stir up an emotional response."

If fanfic is at "Fifty Shades of Grey"'s heart, then sex is at its groin. And it's not just sex, but kinky sex, which makes it all the more taboo. Does this mean we all secretly dream for weirder adventures in the bedroom?

"The 'Fifty Shades of Grey' version of BDSM is sensational and formulaic," says John Patrick Robichaud, who has actively participated in the US & Canadian BDSM scene for close to ten years. "I don't feel like it represents my community. It's an idealized, romanticized depiction of one person who happens to have this be a part of his sexual landscape."

Robichaud says Christian Grey is not attractive because of his role as a dominant, but because of a larger part of the picture.

"Grey is the bad boy that gives you the fix. And this is just a very particular type of bad boy. We're in an age now when you can romanticize even a serial killer like Dexter, and so the options for making someone a valid bad boy character are more open than ever. You just have to keep upping the stakes. The magic is that Anastasia fixes the bad boy. The BDSM is not central - it merely lends the spark that helps to sell the book."

In the end, Robichaud feels that while the book may not accurately depict BDSM, that it may encourage readers to be more creative with their sexuality.

"If reading 'Fifty Shades of Grey' allows someone to connect with a part of themselves for reasons they would normally ignore, for any reason societal or otherwise, that's positive. Read it, recognize it as fiction, connect it with yourself. But then, dig deeper."

Maybe people come for the sex and stay for the fantasy. For me, neither of those things was entertaining enough to make "Fifty Shades of Grey" appealing. One thing's for sure, though: BDSM sure is popular this year. I bet no trend forecast saw that one coming.

Posted by
Filed under: Fandom
  1. Rachel

Started it last night. It was boring. Formulaic and cliche, to the point of being humorous. But that's okay, there's plenty of other fiction out there. I'm just disappointed, given the hype. I'm not above the usual low brow beach reads, and I even read the Twilight series, but arrogant rich guy and helpless goody goody girl is just so unimaginative, and the writing is so basic, that I can't do it. This book is at the bottom of the trashy romance novel barrel.

June 18, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • Denae

You are so correct Rachel. I did the same. Writing was mediocre at best. When you reflect on the book, Anastasia's character is not so innocent when you think of all of the cursing she did in the book.

June 18, 2012 at 10:30 am |
      • Just me

Just b/c a person curses doesn't mean they aren't innocent.

June 18, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Miller

Really – has anyone read the book and noticed that this guy is quick to the draw? A minute man? 30 seconds to mars anyone? Guess that what fat 40 year olds really want...

June 18, 2012 at 11:06 am |
      • PumpNDump

Miller, truer words were never spoken. Lol

June 18, 2012 at 11:26 am |
  2. PumpNDump

You know what the "safe word" is for the fatties and fugly chicks that read this and do this is? "twinkies"

June 18, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  3. KGO

...or maybe I was just speaking for myself

June 17, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
  4. SeattleTim

Next up: Puss in Boots for grown ups.

June 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
  5. Mel

Marquis de Sade, Pauline Réage, A. N. Roquelaure. BDSM is hardly new literary ground.

I have been amazed at all the hullabaloo over this among women my age (40 in the rearview and 50 coming up soon). One would think that erotic fiction had just been invented. Sheesh. I will say that I am not surprised to learn that this author was a fan of Twilight and this series began as fanfiction, because the same women gushing about 50 Shades were also the ones proclaiming "Team Edward!" or "Team Jacob!" and posting about heading out to midnight premieres. (Btw, ladies – please grow up. My teen daughter read and enjoyed Twilight but by the time the first movie came out just a few years later she found it immature and ridiculous. I can only imagine how mortified she would have been had I joined in the twitlight madness.)

June 17, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  6. hypatia

Fanfiction reworked? LOL!

June 17, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  7. km1993

Umm, I get the general idea, but what does BDSM actually stand for?

June 17, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • saxophone31

Bondage and Discipline, Dominance and submission, Sadism and Masochism

June 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
      • southern

safe and consensual

June 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
  8. Bill Loney

"...with *FEWER* supernatural creatures..."

June 16, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
  9. Todd

Lots of women get off on the idea of BDSM – it's not really that shocking. And the "domination" is really coming form her end, because the submissive is actually the one with all the control in those scenarios. The sub decides what can happen, when, how hard, when it has to stop, etc.

So in a nutshell, it amounts to woman bossing a "strong" man around while pretending like she's the innocent or the victim, and yep. Lots of girls find that hot.

June 16, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • KGO

Um, no, in the book, the lead woman is the submissive while the male is the dominant

June 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
      • Sashatree

@KGO - You don't really understand the sub v. dominant relationship. The submissive is most definitely the one with all the control, all the power. Just as the original post said, they are the one who decides what will happen and to what extent. They have the safe word to stop the play whenever they want to. They decide what the limits are. So, the sub is ultimately in control of what happens.

June 18, 2012 at 6:40 am |
    • Hugh Jass

The guy is so frightened of women that they have to be completely subdued before he can timidly get aroused. All the woman has to do to destroy him is decide not to be tied up again, so she is the one cracking the whip, and he's weak, no matter how much leather and chrome he wears. That's taking it to an extreme, of course, but it's not too far off. Also, she has to be careful to seem impressed and not giggle when he whips it out, or it will spoil the power trip for him. Or her, if it's the other way around.

June 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  10. Mary

You know these books are great to create interest. I see a lot of comments have been written here that reflect interest, experience and often a lot of hostility. This is about consenting activities and if you don't like them-you don;t have to be a party to them–don't read about them-don't do anything. For those who have an interest, previously or because of all the buzz, reply to my post and I will give you links to blogs I read that can help you learn more. I do not write them but I have commented on them. They are definitely for open minded adults only otherwise I would just put the links in this post.

June 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
  11. swtnsassy

Sheesh people, these books are FICTION! Nothing more, nothing less. If you don't want to read them, then don't...simple as that. It doesn't matter whether you "get" the books or not nor if you like them or not. I read all three of them in about 4 days and loved them. I am in the adult novelty industry and I can't keep these books in my warehouse. They are selling like hotcakes along with an increase in sales of the "implements" menitoned in the books. They have certainly been great for my personal economy.

June 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • PumpNDump

What a great career move for you! Lol So, Dominoes must deliver right to the "toy" parties you put on with the overweight haus fraus.

June 17, 2012 at 11:24 am |
      • You have to be kidding me

Keep laughing, neckbeard. Keep laughing. Next time you waddle to the front door you'll get the irony of you mocking anyone else.

June 17, 2012 at 7:55 pm |

Honey, you fat slag. Enjoy your cats and lard. Lol

June 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
      • Drinky

PumpNDump: Did you really spend two days of your life commenting on this article? Fetish much???

June 18, 2012 at 7:06 am |
      • Hugh Jass

Pumpy, you DO seem impressed with this. Or terrified, whatever. Get a life.

June 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  12. maxine

This book is this generations "story of O"
    Big whoop!

June 16, 2012 at 8:16 am |
    • Dr Freud

"I am not subserviant enough for whips/chains ect, so I don't get this book either." Briefly, it's about being able to let someone else drive without grabbing the wheel and yelling "look out." I'd rather drive than be a passenger, but it's not a factor in my love life either way.

June 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  13. Goeff

You have no idea what you are talking about PumpNDump.

June 16, 2012 at 5:51 am |
    • PumpNDump

Geoff is "captainsavaHOE" and trying to be a white knight for fatties to get some action. Lol

June 16, 2012 at 10:31 am |
      • Hugh Jass

Gee, Pumpy, you don't have to step up and be the poster boy for "Terrified of Dominant Women." There are plenty of other repressed fellas here, you know. Are you hoping for an invitation?

June 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  14. JQ1172

[RE-POSTED)

Why do I have a problem with the book series and especially the comments I have been overhearing at the office and other locations, let me count the ways. Well here goes.

There is an old saying about how it doesn't matter where the engine gets started as long as it ends in the right place. You know who probably made up that saying, someone incapable of starting someone elses engine.

So why do I have a problem with the series and the comments. Well I am a married man for many years and I bust my a** to be as good physically as the man my wife married. I would prefer that she gets her engine revving by what she sees, feels, touches when she sees, feels, touches me. Why is it a big deal? Because, Fifty Shades is a free pass to all the schlubby hubbies out there. And the pass says, "It is ok that you need a manzier and have dunlap disease because I have Fifty Shades so all will be ok" You married women deserve better than that. You need a hubby that yes can fulfill your emotional, material needs BUT also one that physically resembles the man you married, the man who can get your engine revving without Fifty Shade, you know him...before comfort, complacency and laziness set in.

June 16, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • PumpNDump

Married men deserve a to be free from a mouth attached to a harpy that nags, complains and gets fat.

June 16, 2012 at 10:45 am |
      • You have to be kidding me

Bad troll. This must be your first time. You are SAD at it!!

June 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
      • Dr Freud

We think Pump & Dump has been energized by the imaginative content of this story, or else he's hoping some strong woman will force him to shut up, then make him lick her shiny black pumps. It's one or the other for sure.

June 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • cato123

You strike me as the type of person that spends an inordinate amount of time in front of the mirror.

June 16, 2012 at 10:48 am |
    • Wisco30

Ummm, some of us married woman actually WANT their husbands to man handle them. I dont need my husband to protect me in the bedroom. Speak for yourself.

June 18, 2012 at 9:22 am |
      • derp

Yep, my Mrs likes it a little rough.

June 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
  15. PumpNDump

It's easy to pick up on the women who read these kinds of books. 1st, get 2 XXL pizzas for takeout and a couple of packs of "D" batteries. The rest is easy. They'll flock to you like flies to S H ! T!!!

June 15, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  16. PumpNDump

The people into BDSM, S&M and N U D E beaches are typically cut from the same cloth: old, overweight, unattractive and full of cheese...........cottage cellulite cheese that is.

June 15, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • swtnsassy

LOL...crap for brains. This comment shows just how little you actually know about this lifestyle. When you are old enough to research it, then co and come back and continue this conversation. How old are you anyway....about 10? You are doing nothing here but showing your ignorance about something you obviously know nothing about.

June 16, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Listen up, fatso. BDSM is called a fetish for a reason. By the way, what's your "safe word": twinkies? Lol Anyone who likes to give or receive pain in that fashion/manner has something broken inside and there are very few attractive, fit people engaging in this. It's mostly comprised of unattractive, fat people, cutters, tattoed cretins, people with lots of piercings, etc. Facepalm.

June 17, 2012 at 11:22 am |
      • Dr Freud

"Anyone who likes to give or receive pain in that fashion/manner has something broken inside " And you know this very well, I see. Here you are, getting random strangers to abuse you through the glory hole of internet comments, and you assume you have some shred of masculinity to uphold. It's obviously important for you to fantasize that no attractive women are into this, which leads us to assume that a pretty and stacked Domme would be able to lead you away no matter how hard you tried to resist. Please take your obvious fetish and put it back in the closet, ok? You bore us all.

June 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Nikki

That's news to me, since every person I know of in the local BDSM community is in great shape... Matter of fact, I'm 5' and 102 lbs, so I don't think I'd fall into the "overweight" stereotype you're attempting to throw on us. I'm also only 28, so "middle aged" doesn't seem to apply either.

While I'm sure you think you're an incredibly clever little troll, you're not. All you're really doing is revealing your own insecurities to the web by your comments.

June 17, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Shakti

Um, excuse me? I am 35, 120lbs, 32DD, and perfectly capable of getting action when I want it. Please don't stereotype with such negativity something you plainly don't have the first clue about.

June 17, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
      • Krandal.

Pictures or you don't exist. Feel free to send a URL.

June 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • derp

"Anyone who likes to give or receive pain in that fashion/manner has something broken inside and there are very few attractive, fit people engaging in this. It's mostly comprised of unattractive, fat people, cutters, tattoed cretins, people with lots of piercings, etc'

You obviously have very little life experience.

June 18, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  17. Hunter

I think PumpNDump's mama must've been a very large woman who beat him and locked him in his room too much.

June 15, 2012 at 7:54 pm |

Don't hold back, you know you love the "BBW's"!!!! Lol

June 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • swtnsassy

He is just a 10 year old kid that knows absolutely nothing.

June 16, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • Dr Freud

"PumpNDump's mama must've been a very large woman" Something is obviously going on with him; he's frantic to express his needs. How about one of you Dommes send him your card and take him in hand for us? He wants to be punished fervently.

June 18, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  18. PumpNDump

Sticks head in. Looks around. Sees angry, old fat women reading chick lit. Runs away. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
  19. tiffer72

Big deal. Someone watched the movie Secretary then read the Twilight Books. Then wrote about it.

June 15, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • BostonRez

Pretty Much

June 16, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Guest1966

I have been exposed to the BDSM community and have many friends who are very actively involved, so was interested in seeing what all the hype was about. I downloaded an audio version of the first book as I had credits available so there was no initial cash outlay. I will not be wasting my credits on the other 2 books. First the books are poorly written and I my 9 year old has a better writing style. Second, this is truly NOT how this stuff works. If any of you really want to get an idea of the true style of REAL BDSM, read the Story of O. Now that's erotica!!!!

June 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • GG

This....exactly! I don't see why this book is so hyped...

June 17, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • Dr Freud

"I have been exposed to the BDSM community" Ouch, this sounds embarrassing and painful. Did you get a new tattoo?

June 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Albert Flasher

It's not safe to expose yourself to a BDSM community. You might get a new piercing unless you do it from across the street and then run away.

June 18, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  21. CNNisajoke

I think CNN has collectively written more words about Fifty Shades than are actually in the book.

June 15, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  22. Ron

Not at all shocked that this was originally written as Twilight fan fiction. Twilight is is basically a teenage girl's fantasy of being in a submissive s.e.x.ual relationship.

June 15, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  23. PumpNDump

Why do the brutha's think they're getting over on us going after all the fat, white women? Heck, if there is a pool I can contribute to help them, let me know. I'll send them my donation and thank them for taking one for the team. Big girls need lovin' too, I'm sure, just not be me. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • sharky

Wow, racist, bigot, and misogynist. Damn you are on a roll. LOL

Go enjoy your video games, junior.

June 15, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Honey, NO ONE loves a cheeseburger, fries and shake more than you do.

June 15, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
      • DearSigmundFreud

I suspect PumpNDump is either a fat, lonely teen...or a fat, balding, pasty donut who can't get a woman...any woman.

June 16, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • Outlander

Your mom is calling. Your new Star Trek light up T-shirt just arrived, and she wants you to clean your basement...oops, I mean "attached apartment". Oh, and she also said that the application you dropped off at the local burger joint was rejected due to the fact that you incorrectly spelled "elementary".

June 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • Dr Freud

Spoken like a guy with a TB of fattie pr0n. You trying to convince us or yourself? See, that's kind of a fetish, too; losers think "A girl that big might see me as a real prize and not reject me" but they always do anyway. Sorry about your sad life.

June 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  24. Mary

I only read part way into the book then put it aside, later I gave it to a friend.
    I don't get it. The writing was mediocre at best and certainly doesn't deserve the attention it's getting, in my opinion.

June 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • Mary

I will add, that I have read far better written stories online.

June 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

"I have read far better written stories online." You're welcome.

June 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • guest

Totally agree.... writing is extremely poor. I couldn't wait to be finished with the free sample on my Nook.

June 15, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • Joanie

I started reading the book and was determined to finish it., I got to page 250 and gave up,,,,,I was just too bored, The writing is mediocre, the characters are one-dimensional, and how often do we have to read about the main character "biting her lip" or the dreamy gray eyes of Mr.Grey? Very disappointing.

June 16, 2012 at 10:45 am |
  25. ital

I think PumpnDump has a very small penis, and is probably anally receptive. what you all think lol

June 15, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Mike

Are you hoping he'll be anally receptive to you?

June 15, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Mike, I like the cut of your jib............and not in a carnal way. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Dr Freud

I suspect that he finds this kind of talk extremely threatening, and that all his puff about unattractive women is a bluff; he'd love to have some assertive woman tie him down and pay attention to him, no matter how she looked. He obviously fears women and conflates them with his domineering mom, meaning you are probably not too wrong about him living with parents or being supported by them, but he has no idea how to actually get with a live woman. He's here venting his rage because he can't affect any of his problems. I bet he accuses me of being a fat girl!

June 18, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
      • derp

I think he is typing with one hand.

June 18, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  26. sharky

I did read all 3 books, while the writing itself was horrible, truly horrible, the content, was steamy, and it put a bit of an acceptable light on BDSM bringing it more into a spotlight and helping to dispel misconceptions, believing it is such an unacceptable practice. It could very well cause people to research it, which is not a bad thing.

Sure it will paint a bit of an impossible situation given women do not find an extremely rich, extremely gorgeous guy to want to cherish them for life and treat them like queens, but it helps to let people know or women or couples know that there is nothing wrong with trying BDSM.

June 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • PumpNDump

and then you purchased new batteries for your nightstand "power tool"! I love how "big" women cope and adjust to not having a man. How resourceful. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
      • sharky

And you have no idea what I even look like.

I am sure you are so sloven, teenage kid that cannot get a date or a girl and lives with mummy. *smiling*

Your jealousy over these books is truly fantastic to read. Keep protesting, I am getting a laugh.

June 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
      • AS4321

what does what this poster said have anything to do with your close minded thought process?

June 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
      • sharky

Well I'm actually not the one that is close minded, UNLESS you are talking about PumpNDump, who is trolling in a quite juvenile way.

June 15, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
      • Dr Freud

Fascinating. In PumpDumps world, everyone is a fat woman. It's almost psychotic in its intensity of perversion. Did this book touch a big nerve?

June 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  27. J77Ca

I read all three books and enjoyed them. While they won't win any literature awards and didn't lead to any profound thinking on my part – I enjoyed reading them for the same reason I enjoy a People or US magazine – it's relaxing fluff. Everyday I get up and work hard at a job I enjoy, I focus on on my son and husband and try and be good mom and wife (for that matter, aunt, daughter, friend, etc). I love my life, but it is exhausting and these books were a nice fluffy escape. To all the critics... what does it matter what other's are reading? Who cares. I happen to read some of the negative comments... and my first thought who has time to care and critize someone else's reading list. Focus on your own life and if you want to ready something different – good for you.

June 15, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  28. readingmom

What's the big deal about people wanting to read these three books? If you want to read them then pick them up and read them. If you don't want to read them then don't. Simple as that!

June 15, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • JQ1172

Why is it a big deal? Why is it a big deal? Hmmmmm!!

So why is it a big deal. Well I am a married man for many years and I bust my a** to be as good physically as the man my wife married. I would prefer that she gets her engine revving by what she sees, feels, touches when she sees, feels, touches me. Why is it a big deal? Because, Fifty Shades is a free pass to all the schlubby hubbies out there. And the pass says, "It is ok that you need a manzier and have dunlap disease because I have Fifty Shades so all will be ok" You married women deserve better than that. You need a hubby that yes can fulfill the emotional, material needs BUT also one that physically resembles the man you married, you know before comfort, complacency and laziness set in.

June 16, 2012 at 12:06 am |
      • Dr Freud

"I would prefer that she gets her engine revving by what she sees, feels, touches when she sees, feels, touches me. Why is it a big deal?" This sounds more like you fear your wife will leave you for a nice guy with a paunch than anything else. If you live long enough, you will be a little round bald guy; deal with it. She didn't marry your glutes. Why am I having to give relationship advice to BDSM-heads? I feel like Dear Abby with handcuffs.

June 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
  29. PumpNDump

The rapper 50 cent just published a new, erotic novella.........It's calle "Fitty Shades of Black and Blue."

June 15, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Dr Freud

Fifty Shades Of Black And Blue? I just read that; he ties her up with band-aids.

June 18, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  30. Not All Docs Play Golf

For women who find this series arousing, I would strongly recommend a movie with Sherily Fenn called Two Moon Junction. It's an older film from around 1990's, but it is very erotic along the lines of Diane Lane's movie Unfaithful, or even Micky Rourk's 91/2 Weeks.

June 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  31. 50 Shades of Wanting

I enjoyed these books enough to go out and by a hardcopy of the books after reading them on my Kindle. I would definitely be into this life-style. Some of us women enjoy being controlled like that. And for those attacking the type of women that read these books: I'm 30, work in a bank, and weigh under 125 lbs. I don't fit your stupid stereotype.

But, just like EVERYTHING in life, it's not for everyone. Some people are going to hate the books and think it demeans women. Some will think the books are okay, but not worth the hype. Some people will love the books, but never do anything from them. It just boils down to the having the freedom to like/dislike what you want.

BTW, if you did like the series, you could also try Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty series.

June 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Greg

Hey...ummmm....sooo.....wassup, how you doin?

June 15, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • Big Daddy

You seem hot....

June 15, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • moi

yes, totally agree with you. You don't need to be fat and ugly to have these fantasies...

June 15, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • M.E.

I totally agree, but damn if the writing isn't so horrible as to be unreadable.

June 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Albert Flasher

Just remember it's fantasy; in real life, the ropes pinch, the guy's not going to do or say exactly what you want, and you'd be calling the shots anyway. Stick to books.

June 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  32. Phantastic

Bored square yuppie housewives who think they are being naughty by reading something which isn't really new or shocking about sums up the audience for this book. Come on, didn't anyone go to college? Do you really have nothing better to do? I guess if you drink enough bad wine you'll read almost anything.

June 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • sharky

You must be male. If you are it sounds like you are either inept, or jealous.

June 15, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
      • PumpNDump

And that would be in contrast to you being corpulent, odoriferous and having to cleanse yourself with a rag on a stick. Good to know!

June 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm |

PumpNDump–

Actually that sounds like you.

June 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • J77Ca

Enjoyed the book and I'm an MD (that would be four years of college, plus another four, plus two – just to help you do the math)! Laters baby -

June 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  33. pilgrim

With all the great literature that's out their, why would any one waste their time on such TRASH

June 15, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • Ednarb

There. Out there. Not their.

June 15, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • pdxmum

Well pilgrim, I imagine some people just like to be entertained. I've never read these books and don't want to, however after spending all day using my brain, I really don't want to work that hard when I get home and want to relax. The pretentiousness I see on these boards never ceases to amaze/amuse me. I can't imagine what a dry, joyless existence it must be.

June 15, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  34. KarenM

I have to comment on PumpNDump.....that is why you dont get it your name says it all...you talk about it being for fat middle aged woman I would love to see what you look like. It would be a real eye opener Im sure. You think extremly high of yourself. Im sure no one has ever thought of you as their Christian.

June 15, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • asdfdsfds

dude for the love of god, would everyone please stop taking pumpanddumps comments so seriously and just laugh like i am laughing my ass off in my office currently

June 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • PumpNDump

Cupcake, it's a book. Or didn't you get the memo. Your "version" of Christian takes "D" batteries and is in your nightstand, since that's the closest you'll ever get to this, unless you pay someone. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Wrenn_NYC

Hmmm.

He does seem to have a fixation on one subject and one subject only.

Hey. I freely admit that I'm overweight (though not near that BMI). I'm also 45, so that makes me middle aged.

I also have a younger (by 2 years), hot, (major house) published sci fi author who adores me to warm my bed every night
      I have no wish to read this book, though. I do admit to reading the Beauty series that Anne Rice published under a pseudonym years ago.

June 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Wrenn, he's only there because he has no game and it's all business. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
      • Wrenn_NYC

@ PumpNDump...

No game? LOL.

You don't know him. :P

After my ex dumped me in 2006 for a 20 something, I'd sworn off of serious relationships. in 2009, this one changed my mind.

When a pretty little 20 something went after him full bore in 2010, I was amused when he put her back on her bus at Penn Station with a 'no thanks'.

Some guys go for red-heads with brains.

June 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
      • PumpNDump

There are very few attractive gingers and being overweight and old isn't helping you. Kudos to your husband. You know you can lose the lard, if you want to.

June 15, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Ernie979

I agree with you completely. Some people are just so closed minded and its really sad. Okay so maybe this book will not go down in history, but for me it was an AMAZING book and i enjoyed reading it and connecting with those characters through the words of E.L. James. <3

June 15, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • PumpNDump

I will pluck my own eyes out before I'm ever with a woman over 35, a fat woman or a woman who isn't hot. I'm not there for the conversation or "friendship"! Lol. I have real friends whom I flew with, went to college with. Yes, life is good.

June 15, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
      • J77Ca

PumpNDump – interesting choice for a name which refers to a breastfeeding mom who pumps and dumps her breast milk after consuming alcohol. Unique choice -

June 15, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
      • Dr Freud

"I will pluck my own eyes out before I'm ever with a woman" It's a cry for help. Anyone ever read A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES, since we're having book club day? I think we may have found the real-life Ignatius Reilly.

June 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • sharky

PumpNDump most likely lives in the basement of his mum's house and is seething with jealousy that women would find the books more appealing that than prepubescent child.

June 15, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  35. PumpNDump

My next novel will be dedicated to all the fat women of America. All those women with perfect manicures and pedicures and their hair done with nice clothes, and a BMI over 35 who actually have deluded themselves into thinking they're hot. Facepalm. It will be called "donkey punch"!

June 15, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • Troll much?

Awww... can't get a date huh? You poor thing.

June 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Cupcake, (Now, don't get all excited about pastries) ordering a 2 for 1 special from Dominoes Pizza doesn't mean you're dating the delivery boy. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • sharky

You sound just like the viagra addicted octogenarian that goes by the name of Hef. Let me guess, you are No Action Jackson huh.

June 15, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Sharky, no your thyroid isn't the reason that you're fat either.

June 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
      • sharky

Yeah and sorry for you mate, unlike you, I actually am not fat. If a size 6 is fat in your books, then you must only date anorexic or bulimic chicks, but then I am sure you actually don't date as no one would want you.

June 15, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
      • CynycismAbound

Sorry to burst your bubble....but size 6 is not skinny nor healthy. I like my women with a lil bit of meat on em...my g/f's a 7 and she's beautiful....but her size is a perfect size for me.

And why are you taking the troll so seriously?......i'm more inclined to criticize your intelligence now more than anything...

June 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

Gee, psycho much? These posts all just shriek "virgin." They really do.

June 18, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  36. Wrenn_NYC

Sorry guys, article writer, et al.

There's a whole publishing industry out there selling paranormal romance, in print and in ebook formats. There are writers out there making a living off of the genre, and it's nothing new. Many of the middle and major publishing houses have (or had) imprints specifically for this type of thing, for a decade or more. I occasionally edit for one that's mostly ebooks, and they've been around since 2008.

Well, at least I get paid to read them, which is about the only way I'd do it. ;-)

June 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  37. KarenM

Loved this book...for those stuffy individuals who are haters I believe that everyone wishes for a more adventureous love life and dreams of someone that they can love and do those things with. For all those who dont believe it your love life in the bedroom shows how boring and closed minded you are....yes it does but you fail to believe it....loved it loved it loved it......

June 15, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • PumpNDump

PS: You find adventure in life, not a book. Just you read it in a fictional throwaway book doesn't mean you did it, or ever will, for that matter. It's not real life. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
      • Julian

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head - this is what is bothering me about these books. All these women are saying that these books give them something that is missing in their life, but how many have even tried to get this in their real life. Any guy is going to be happy if his wife says "tie me up and force me to please you", so if a woman who wants that isn't getting it it is her failure.

June 15, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Julian, none of them have. Most of these wome have body issues, are overweight, unattractive and are very self-conscious and unwilling to do anything about it but live in their fantasy world. I've have a great REAL life in this regard, and lots of variety in women (granted, none of the women I've been with have been fugly, old or fat), and I'm not even 40 yet. I found the worse you treat women, and with more disdain, the hotter the women are that hit on you. I found that out very early. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

"I've have a great REAL life in this regard, and lots of variety in women" SURE you have, kid. Sure you have, and your lack of experience is plain.

June 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Phantastic

Some of us have adventurous love lives by actually doing things instead of reading about them.

June 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  38. Tha Chikin

My Mom tried to toss the book at me last Sunday... I told her "why would I want to read about a bad boy? I got a real live one at home that wants me to make his freakin' dinner every night. FEED ME SEYMOUR!!"

I dunno... I guess I can't get into it because I am one of the only people on the planet that doesn't "get" Twilight. I do get the Walking Dead though...

June 15, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • asdfdsfds

are you 45?

June 15, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  39. asdfdsfds

Do women honestly have a "stranger fantasy" where they wana do a stranger off the street?

June 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • PumpNDump

My neighbor had a R A P E fantasy. Sadly, we weren't formally introduced until the police came and arrested me.

June 15, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
      • Married with children

Oh, now we understand. The only way you are able to get any is by force. What a sad little turd you must be. One day in prison you will be introduced to some dude named Leroy who will surely turn you into his own little version of "Fifty Shades". Don't bend over to pick up the soap now!

June 16, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • saidso

Women are not a part of a hive mind. Anyone can have an odd fantasy including men. It doesn't mean that everyone does.

June 15, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  40. Sean in AZ

People are reading this trash simply because they do not know what good literature is. It's sad, really.

June 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Jill

I agree with you 100%. It's poorly written- makes Stephenie Meyer seem like a first rate author, filled with grammatical errors, and boring characters. I can't believe someone published it.

June 15, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • Toni McFall

Don't be too harsh. I am finishing up my graduate degree in English at UT Austin and this spring began writing my thesis on Fifty Shades. I love Faulkner and Wharton as much as the next lit lover, but books like Fifty Shades have their place too (yes I'm ready for the come-back where you tell everyone where that "place" is). Granted it is not great literature by any means, but for many (at least ten million people) it is great entertainment, and that is all many books were meant to be.

June 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  41. Rich

I have not read the book nor would I try to assume certain "types" of women read it. It always interests me to know what that quiet woman really thinks and how she acts away from work. That is what makes intimacy so powerful...the mind. I enjoy reading all of the opinions here. I will say that April has great comments here.

June 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
  42. PumpNDump

It's truly amazing the fiction that fat women will read.

June 15, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • asdfdsfds

dude, im laughing at the comments you have so quietly in my cubicle, love it

June 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Humor is always reality based. I bow to your compliments. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • Big Daddy

Pump that fat rump!

June 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

It's sad that you have to post as "asdfdsfds" to get anyone to agree with your sick fantasies.

June 18, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  43. Dave

People are turning into sick fux just like the banksters and politicians the idolize...

June 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Mike

If you think 50 Shades is "sick" you are vanilla as hell.

June 15, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  44. JQ1172

This whole Fifty Shaed of Gray craze is pathetic. From what I have noticed the majority of women reading the book are seeking in the book what they are lacking in their own lives and from their own husbands. I suggest that the majority of them get their out of shape, schlubby hubbies off the couch and in the gym and have them regain what they have lost as a result of being married and becoming comfortable / complacent. Trust me, it is hard for me to imagine Angelina Jolie needing Fifty Shades when she had Brad Pitt. If more married women demanded their schlubby hubbies put the six-pack back on the body instead of in the fridge, they would not need Fifty Shades. Just my opinion from my observations of friends/co-workers/family/people at the mall, beach, amusement park, etc.

June 15, 2012 at 3:01 pm |

LOL So good looking people have fantastic s e x lives? Really? *laughing*

June 15, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Yup, we do. It's better than rolling around with fat chick like you. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • Nikki

You're assuming people are reading the book because we "need" to get turned on. I don't think I've been actually aroused throughout the entire trilogy, my husband does quite a fine job of that on his own, without inspiration from books. The only thing I will say about the books is that they gave him a good way to lightly introduce the topic to a curious friend that knows about my lifestyle choices.

June 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
      • JQ1172

@ Nicki & Hugh Jass

No not insecure. But I do believe I do a disservice to my wife if I let myself go and become Mr. Schlubby as I have seen so many do and women say / do nothing and then need and read Fifty Shades. I have a good personality and my wife likes / liked my personality BUT she was also physically attracted to me when we met and I believe (barring a disease / accident / injury) that she deserves a husband who as he gets older makes an effort to maintain and even improve upon the physcial attritubes that attracted her to me in the first place. Again, to do less is to do her a disservice.

So if she or any women wants to read Fifty Shades so be it BUT it shouldn't be because they need it to get the engine revving due to a schlubby that let themselves go.

June 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

"Trust me, it is hard for me to imagine Angelina Jolie needing Fifty Shades when she had Brad Pitt." Man, you sound insecure; trust ME, women like imaginations more than they like meat. Also you picked a bad example there. Do you actually know who that girl IS?

June 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  45. LKT

"Nothing new under the sun"

Anne Rice writing as A.N. Roquelaure wrote a trilogy of S&M stories about Sleeping Beauty back in the '80's. And 20 years before Roquelarue's Sleeping Beauty Tirilogy,"The Story of O" was the dirty little read of the times.

Every age must rediscover what their elders discovered for themselves.

Enjoy yourselves!

June 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
  46. will mount

Woman want a guy who's not a push over. You can love a woman but not put up with their crap. You are a man so be a man. Doesn't mean you need to be an ass. Make the decisions, learn to say no. No one likes an indecisive crybaby. Also, learn to bang a chick like you mean it. I can be in deep crap with my wife and one good bang and she's off my case for a few days. Rinse and repeat.

June 15, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • cnnfreak

Word!

June 15, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • ladygogo

Damn you sound like my husband :) Bobby, is that you?

June 15, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
      • Rich

haaa....great stuff..

June 15, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • saidso

Women are not a part of a hive mind. Not every woman wants the same thing. Figure out what she wants and you do have it made.

June 15, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

"Make the decisions, learn to say no. " Your wife's gonna leave you one day and you'll wonder why. It's a two-way street, man.

June 18, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  47. Toni McFall

This is simple. The majority of women (I didn't say all) enjoy being pampered, put on a pedestal, and being taken care of. Many of the same women also enjoy being dominated in the bedroom. The BDSM play in Fifty Shades is just a form of domination role playing that is exciting to many women, but something that many of them have never experienced. Unfortunately many men don't know this and many of the ones who do ONLY embrace the domination part and neglect the pampering and taking care of part. Notice the character of Christian Grey embodies all three traits.

June 15, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • sharky

Can't really disagree, unless she is with a submissive husband. But it is not entirely an easy subject to broach with your S.O. I suspect women also tend to be quite shy to even discuss it and say what they like or do not like or what they want and do not want.

June 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  48. PumpNDump

If any man is unlucky enough to be married to a hogger that reads this tripe you know he's going through life in quiet desperation praying for the sweet release that death will bring him. 45% obesity rate just isn't a pretty picture. Can you imagine a corpulently obese woman wanting to engage in S&M and the look on the guys face she approaches! This is the books target demographic. They're favorite S&M implement is a rag on a stick, to wash themselves with. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Really?

It's ok, some day you will lose your virginity to someone besides "Rosie" and the sock you refered to earlier.

June 15, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Really! , do you have your feedbag monogrammed so you don't mix it up with the other heifers?

June 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Truth Seeker

Preach on brotha... NO FAT CHICKS!!!

June 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • sharky

You must be quite young and inexperienced, or just constantly rejected. I feel sorry for you.

You really don't know a thing about women.

June 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • ComedyCentral

PumpNDump, at first I thought you were a typical comments posting jerk.

Then I kept scrolling and seeing your never ending comebacks... all I can say is... respect! If you are going to be a jerk be the best on on the board.

June 15, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Dr Freud

Again the weird and obsessive fantasy that only "fat chicks" are into this. What would happen to you if they weren't? What if great-looking chicks were into this, too? Pretty scary, huh? And some of them want to tie YOU up and make you squeal. Better run and hide.

June 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  49. PumpNDump

The best thing a HOT, young, lean woman can say to me is: "Don't get it in my eye!"

June 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Really?

Another fictional story? Probably a short read.

June 15, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • VargusZ

Haha! Comedy.

June 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Truth Seeker

get it in her eye anyway, it's pretty funny

June 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • Dr Freud

The only thing a HOT, young, lean woman ever said to you was "Hold the elevator!" You might as well give up trying to sound experienced to a bunch of grownups, sonny. You are like the Pope at a pr0n convention.

June 18, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  50. boatvolt

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me"
    Well, they used to, anyway...
    Hope I'm not too late for the Early Bird Special at Red Lobster...

June 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  51. ralph

Never heard of it. And could care less about a book like this.

June 15, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  52. Rock

I just got back from my vietnamese massage during which I creampied the masseuse. I think she said dont do it inside her but I only speak English so its all good.

June 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  53. PumpNDump

It should be called 50 shades of lard since the women reading this are typically fat and middle aged. Gag.

June 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • April

Yeah, you said that already.....and before your undies get too anxious to respond with another stupid comment....I am not fat..so you can't use that as a response.... it is not polite to be cheeky to people you do not know.

June 15, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
      • PumpNDump

Don't you have a box of twinkies to eat that are calling you?

June 15, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
      • April

Ahh ahhh, I made it very clear that you would not be able to go that route as I am not fat..nor do I even like Twinkies...so the more you continue to TRY and goad me, the more obtuse you sound.....

June 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
      • PumpNDump

So, just old broken down and old are you? How many cats do you have?

June 15, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
      • April

Now you are just making me laugh. Not even close to middle age, I have 2 dogs. I hate cats....next? Really, do you have a job or something you should go back to? And before you go on a tirade about that...yes, I have a job...one where I dismiss people like you from my meetings because the words I use are too big for them to understand...

June 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
      • PumpNDump

April, I didn't know the words were that difficult for you at your barista meetings for Starbucks.

June 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
      • April

Again, you are a very funny little man. I appreciate the banter it was fun, but I have to go and run a department now. There is a Startbucks in my building though, they are good. Cheers.

June 15, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
      • PumpNDump

They call that department "housekeeping". Make sure you change everyone's towels and put clean sheets on their bed.

June 15, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
      • Big Daddy

April – u sound hot....

June 15, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • Outlander

The men on this site seem to be jealous and have a bit of a "small man" syndrome.

June 15, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
      • PumpNDump

So, how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

June 15, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
      • sharky

LOL I think you are pretty much right. Men are jealous of these books, especially those screaming so much attacking the women that read them and having zero idea, as shown quite easily by some posters, they have no understanding of the female gender.

June 15, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Really?

That's ok humpty, you will lose your virginity (with someone besides yourself) some day.

June 15, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
      • PumpNDump

I bet you have a feedbag with your name on it for family meals and get togethers.

June 15, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • OC

Actually, I know a couple of 30 year old women reading it. You don't have to be dumpy and middle aged to appreciate BDSM erotica.

June 15, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
      • PumpNDump

99% of the women who read this are fugly.

June 15, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Dr Freud

Still chasing that delusion around? No matter what you say to these women, it won't change how they look at you in real life. You need to settle these issues with women; you describe them only in repulsive terms. Men who express these hostile feelings about women's bodies are often more comfortable in relationships with other men. Are you by any chance an interior decorator or hairdresser?

June 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  54. Valerie

"The magic is that Anastasia fixes the bad boy. "

And just like MAGIC, it's all an ILLUSION and this kind of thinking is what stupid women buy into in REAL life. You can't FIX anyone, only yourself and men that are "Bad" NEVER CHANGE.

Clue up and get out of fantasyland women. Men are no different, expecting all women to be p0rn stars who keep a house immaculate too and never age............hahaha!!!

June 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • PumpNDump

I have a housekeeper that shows up 1x per week. I don't need a woman to clean or cook, just to get busy between the sheets and NOT be fat or fugly. Marriage is so pointless and overrated.

June 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
      • Really?

Your mother doesn't count as a house keeper, cook and maid, Now wash your hands on go upstairs, it's lunch time.

June 15, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

Sure you do. I bet you date ALL THE TIME. I bet you have all kind of women. I also bet you have a complete set of Transformers dolls, still in packages.

June 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Avenir33

Bitter?

June 15, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  55. PumpNDump

The woman who wrote the book is fat and fugly, just like her target demographic. It's the latest rendition of harlequin romance novels. Some fat, middle aged cat lady reads the book and dreams of being hot, younger and having some guy want to do this to her, then reality sets in. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  56. DD

If I want to read about BDSM I'm sure not gonna want a watered down version. And I have no interest in any kind of Twilight fanfic. I wasn't interested in the original books.

June 15, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • sharky

Well for women that are more nervous about the subject matter, but curious about the lifestyle it is a good introduction, excusing the lack of reality that someone like Christian Grey will come into their lives like that.

June 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  57. palintwit

I just got done reading " Fifty Shades of Stupid ". It's the story of Sarah palin and her family.

June 15, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • Really?

WOW, you're comment says alot about you, and for you that is unfortunate. So sad.

June 15, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
      • Hahahahahahahahah

At least he didn't VOTE for Palin like you! Hahahahahahahaha

June 15, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • sharky

Sounds like "Fifty Shades of Jealousy" on your part.

June 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
      • Hahahahahahahahah

Another Palin voter! Hahahahahahahahaha

June 15, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

Come on, man, EVERYTHING is Palin to you. Give it up. She's over. Even her spawn can't get on TV anymore.

June 18, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  58. Shay

I read all 3 books in a matter of a week or so and i thought these books were amazing. I think the reason these books were so exciting for me was because of the psychology behind it. Christian Grey was a good man with a troubled past who met this young inexperienced woman that challenged the way he thought about himself and his lifestyle. You get to see this man evolve and struggle with his evolution throughout the series. For me, the bad boy type was always interesting because i have always been the good girl afraid to make the wrong choices and to have others see me making the wrong choices. I'm a people pleaser, and it intrigues me when i meet others who don't look at things similarly. I always try to maintain a sense of control of myself and my environment (not of people, because i don't like to be controlled and don't feel anyone else should be controlled) but having a set contract of what's acceptable and having to maintain a sense of trust with that person – you get to safely lose your sense of control and let someone else take over. The books are all about pushing boundaries of comfortability and learning who you are. I don't believe you can learn anything about yourself if you're afraid to let your guard down and see where that might take you.

June 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • April

Completely agree with you.

June 15, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
      • PumpNDump

We already knew you were in the target demographic: shot out older woman with middle aged spread and cottage cheese cellulite. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
      • April

See that is the funny thing... you are commenting on people that you have NO IDEA what type of person they are......fat...nope not here....middle age...not even close...spread and cottage cheese...good for breakfast. I pitty what you have to see when you look in the mirror and know you can only make inteligent conversation in your own mind. tsk tsk...so sad

June 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
      • Shay

Thanks April! And pumpanddump – i'm in my early 20's and in excellent shape. I've never shot out any children and have no cellulite to speak of... so all your generalizations are wrong! :)

June 15, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • BFD

He's a fictional version of Jeff Zuckerberg who is forming a relationship with someone like Miley Cyrus.

If you want to think about pushing boundries then push boundries, but don't claim this book is more than it is.

June 15, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
      • April

Well.....I don't find Zuckerberg attractive....AT ALL...even with that amount of money, so no....I can't see your point sorry.

June 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
      • 50 Shades is Garbage

What the cuss is Jeff Zuckerberg? Mark Zuckerberg's evil twin?

June 15, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Laurin

I have horribel thoughts as to what the man in the begining of the formus said.... you must have been hurt or abused as a child. you have horrible problems. You can tell you have low self esteem. Why would you get on here and post something about people whom you have no idea what their life is like.... only people who talk about others and make others lives miserable are the ones who really have egotistical and mental problems....If you were ever hurt by someone, im sincerely sorry, but why talk about people like that?? I have nothing more to say other than you need to grow up or get some help...

ohh yeah, and that books were amazing! :]

June 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Outlander

Great synopsis. Why are people only focused on one part of the books? They obviously don't get it. It seems that you, me and April (I'm sorry if I'm leaving anyone out) are the only intelligent people reading this article. The men here seem to be jealous with a bit of a "small man" syndrome and/or lack of any confidence in themselves. Being threatened by a book is childs play. All the women I know reading it are neither fat, ugly nor have cats. Most of them are normal moms with kids, husbands, jobs, and too much to do with little help thus keeping them in shape and in-tune.

June 15, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
      • Shay

Thanks!

June 15, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
      • FayeMass

The negative comments on this forum all degrade the female fantasy. It's ok for men to love Spiderman, Thor, Iron Man and Batman. But let 1 movie or booik (Twilight or 50 Shades) come out and it's all awful, boring and poor writing and acting. Ladies lets boycott the male fantasy movies!

June 15, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • venell33

I totally agree with Shay! Perfectl said!

June 15, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • Renee

I agree with you Shay.. I read all three books in a week in a half. There is alot more to these books, there is a story to it all. Nothing wrong with these books at all.. If people do not like what it is about, then dont buy the books. Same if you do not want to watch a movie that has too much for you to handle, dont watch it, turn the channel, simple as that. Yes these books are Fic, but very easy to get into. These things do happen in real life though, that's the thing. Christian just knows what he is doing and how to do it and be professional about it.. It is funny how a lot of guys are commenting on this post, like they are envy of Christian Grey!! . well maybe they should be. Ha! I mean, maybe they should read the books and they could learn a lot from this guy, and will do wonders for their significant other (if they have one).. There are all ages reading these books. I am not an older woman, not fat, as a certain person keeps saying in his posts.. I know alot of 18-19 yr olds reading these, and and 20 something girls too.. And who cares if the Author is a little on the heavy side... Who Cares!!! I guess that's why she is making millions off of these books, and this guy who wants to bash on everyone isnt!!! These books are coming from Ana's perspective also. I heard she might re write them coming from Chritian's perspective.. I am ready for a 4th book, and the movie to come out!! Bring it on!!! Love it!

June 15, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • PumpNDump

Shay, so you're one of those "big" women whose still a virgin. Good to know.

June 15, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  59. Lester Singleton

The woman on the plane next to me was reading this book on her Kindle. I read a few paragraphs while my movie was playing. Interesting to say the least.

June 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • OutPastPluto

Sounds like being married to some Pashtun in the mountains of Afghanistan really.

June 15, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
      • asdfdsfds

bahahahahahahaha so funny

June 15, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  60. mandfkiwsa

A story of women being dominated by older white men? This is so fresh and unique, I've never heard anything like it before.

June 15, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • ahum

except that he is young and hot

June 15, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • webjunkie

Just to clarify on an earlier post...both characters are in their 20's. Not old man. In regards to the comments of PumpNDump, he sounds like a simpleton with a small package, not smart enough to be in a relationship with a real woman- and that insecurity shows in all his posts. So sad.

June 15, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
      • Renee

Thank you!!! My point Exactly.. Both Charchters are in their 20's. And Hot! HA..
        He could probably learn alot from these books. I am sure his other half (if he has one) would be so greatful!!! That's why the author makes millions off these books and he doesnt! Enough Said. ha

June 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  61. Sherry

I read the first book and gave it to my husband. He read the first...then the second....now he is on the third. I can't get the Kindle away from him to start the second but who cares! He is more romantic, more attentive and more fun in bed. Our s-e-x life is better than ever. I'm having wait to read what got him going but it's worth every minute. May guys should stop "shopping for excited girls" reading the books and start reading themselves.

June 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • PumpNDump

So, it's safe to say you and your husband don't touch each other more. You might want to take possession of his old sweat socks and put them to the body fluid smell test. Lol

June 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
      • Avenir33

You are a sad little man. I picture you down in your mom's basement trying desperatley to make up for your opbvious short comings by putting down people from behind a computer screen.

June 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

Actually, that's not what she said; you are the one getting excited over her husband's smelly socks. I bet YOU have read those books.

June 15, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  62. Reading Bug

If you want a great romance you should pick up Jeweled Embers. I purchased this from amazon and could not stop reading it until I got to the last page and wanted more. It is more of a novella but it is somthing you should check out. The author is Christi Riverton

June 15, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  63. Reading Bug

If you like the Fifty Shades you should check out Jeweled Embers its an ebook I purchased off Amazon. The author is Christi Riverton it is more of a novella but it makes you want more.

June 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  64. Jokesterer

If women really want this stuff then why does my wife always ask for the same boring thing?

June 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • A

She wants it, just not with you.

June 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • bobby

because girlfriends are liers, they never liked any of that stuff, and the truth only comes out when they are married.

June 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • Sherry

Give her the books

June 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • ShouldntHavetoAsk

She shouldnt have to ask. That's the point. You are the one that needs to take control. All the girls i know want their man to grab them. You should try it tonight with your wife! Take a little time to figure out what your wife wants and it wont be boring anymore.

June 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
      • Jokesterer

I've tried that a few times. All I got was yelled at to go back to the same boring thing. It's over. 40 more years of this and then I can die.

June 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
      • OutPastPluto

Saying you want it and actually taking it are two entirely different things. These are likely boring people with boring lives who need a little controversy to shake them out of their self-inflicted tedium. The fact that they read this sort of thing doesn't mean they would actually ever do this sort of thing or anything interesting really.

June 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Obama

"why does my wife always ask for the same boring thing?" Your imagination's not very imaginative?

June 15, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  65. Heston2012

Haven't read this book and have no interest in it. But it does seem to be very popular I have seen middle aged women on my bus reading it on thier Kindles and Nooks. Young women buying it in the book store I go to.

June 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
  66. dhondi

why does cnn confuse advertising with journalism?

June 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  67. gggg

Just go with the original. Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence. By the same author, in the same genre but less well known, are The Rainbow and Women In Love. At least read stuff by a decent author.

June 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  68. angryersmell

Because it's easier to hoot and fling your own poo and bone all day than it is to restrain your animalistic tendancies, build a shelter and make fire?

June 15, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Jake

sounds bout right.... these people probably get a false sense of intelligence because they 'read some literature' too

June 15, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  69. Julian

Sorry, but the popularity of the book is messed up for many reasons. First of all, the whole idea that it is Twilight fan fiction is dumb. I mean you take a story, take out the vampire part, change all the personalities and names, and somehow that is related. Heck, it's like Star Wars fan fiction about some guys living in New York. Secondly, the books are very poorly written, even worse than Twilight. It is really a dumbing down where we celebrate and make rich people who wouldn't even get a good grade in a creative writing class. Third, there are themes that are truly problematic related to the psychology of women - while women certainly have the right to enjoy anything they want, the popularity of this theme (and Twilight too) means that sadly women are caught in the cliche of bad boys, low self esteem, and a need to be defined by the man they're with (and some need to "fix" him). I know it is fiction, but at some point you have to question why it resonates - millions of women are getting turned on by extremely broken characters.

June 15, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Buckhippo

Agreed..... Now get on your knees and....

June 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Ruthie

It's based in Seattle but obviously written by a Brit. For example, they go on "holiday" and "fetch" their keys.

June 15, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  70. Mas

I read the first book and it was good. Didn't finish the second book. Everything was getting old. The excitement about the first book didn't continue on to the second book.

June 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Tamlia

I think the 2nd book was the best one of the 3 – read the whole series in less than a week (book 2 in 2 days). Loved it. People are really overanalyzing it. At the core of the story line, it really is a love story...just a little steamier than most. And I don't get the whole reference to Twilight at all.

June 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  71. SophyB

I read all three and they are beach-read tripe (which can be ok, but why the hype?). Granted the sx scenes were occasionally hot, but I don't get two things:

1. Christian Grey is always held up in news articles as an "older man" as if he's forty or something. Anastasia is like 21 and he's 27, right? Not much older. My husband is 8 yrs older than I am and I don't consider him an "older man".

2. The guy is a little wimpy for my taste, constantly "gasping" at something she did. Come on. Someone really into BDSM with as much supposed experience as he has shouldn't make sounds like a Victorian virgin.

June 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Please

3. Wet

June 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
  72. Leslie

I think it's time to go buy a copy and see what all the hype is about.

June 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • KAS

Wait until the fall when you'll find the book at yard sales for $1. If you're really desperate, check out used book stores. You might pay $8, but it will still be much cheaper than buying it new.

June 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
      • shh i'm a secret.

Or even better, google "fifty shades of grey.pdf" and save yourself the trouble of paying your hard-earned money for what was originally published online for free anyway.

June 15, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
      • Married with children

Yes, but think about what might be lurking on those pages. Might want to invest in some gloves if you read a used fifty shades book. Lol

June 16, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  73. lindaluttrell

When they're finished reading "50"," they might want to consider Frank Langella's new tell-all biography. According to him, this is not fantasy...it's the real deal!

June 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • Bookenz

Thanks for recommending.

June 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Please

Boooooooring!

June 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • OutPastPluto

...or they could just rent his old Dracula movie.

I remember "old women" really gushing over him at the time.

June 15, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  74. Frank

I'm hanging out at our community pool and every woman is reading these three books and telling me all about it and say they wish for the fourth book. This book is making them all terribly horny and they are letting me know it. I might be making a few house calls around the neighborhood.

June 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Please

lol

June 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Buckhippo

Finally! Smackin women around isn't a crime!

June 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
      • JenLaw

Careful there! Only on the backside or where ever she wants it and certainly not on the face.

June 15, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
      • Mr Hand

Depends on what you smack her with! Oh BEhaaaave!

June 15, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  75. mizh

'Fics and fanfics?" Are people too lazy to say the whole word now, "fiction"? Sheesh. What a nation of lazy a$$es we are becoming.

June 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • Please

word

June 15, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • Neko McEvil

I think it's sort of a pun on the word fix, because lots of people reading fanfiction just can't get enough XD

June 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • LinSea

Do you know what fan fiction is?

June 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • ER

Normally I would agree with you, but "fic" and "fanfic" are a legitimate part of the lingo, so in this case it's not the author being lazy.

June 15, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • A

Good thing you aren't a meteorologist, you'd probably work yourself into a stroke. We abbrev everything.

June 15, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • Beets

(Like)

June 15, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • saidso

It's fiction based on someone else's work. Fanfiction is actually a very specific term.

June 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  76. RL

All I know is my Wife is reading the Books and she can-not get enough bedroom time since started reading..... we are doing it twice a day now... Not that i am Complaigning....

June 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • Outlander

OMG...I think my husband might say the same thing! Can't be that bad, right?

June 15, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Catnip

Are the side effects from the book. Hang in there, it will go away once she finishes her books and you both get down and watch news in TV.

June 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Pumagirl

Wrong post dudes. Are you speaking in code and booming our country ? You need to go to another site if you're plotting something evil.

June 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  77. Outlander

I've read them all, have done a re-read, and LOVE them!!! I don't want a movie made, however. Hollyweird would ruin it.

June 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • Agreed

I second that... I'm not sure they could create a screenplay to satisfy the story. I love this series

June 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • Bob

Interesting. I didn't realize that it was even possible to "ruin" garbage.

June 15, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  78. Howard

I thought women wer more empowered in the 21st century. But I guess they still dream of being the victim.

June 15, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • rstlne

Not all of them – us, for sure!!!

June 15, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Roger in Florida

Then you are Vanilla.

June 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Experienced girl

In real BDSM, the victim is the one who really calls the shots. That's why there are Safe Words.

June 15, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • JenLaw

Howard – a sub "tops from below".

June 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • saidso

Nah. There are men who have this sort of fantasy too. It's not gender specific.

June 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

"dream" is the key word, buddy.

June 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  79. captain cold one

screw this site where are my posts ?

June 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

Out in the yard holding up the fence. Certain key words are blocked by automatic censor; rephrase and it will get through.

June 15, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  80. Hugh Jass

I have friends who are into this, and I agree that a woman has a right to get tickled however she likes. It empowers women to ask for this, bla bla bla, and it's just harmless role-playing. Who do couples have to play The Stormtrooper and the Milkmaid to get their kicks? Who knows? But it's a big yawn as far as my wife and I are concerned. Compulsion and love don't mix well; one always rises to the top.

June 15, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • Roger in Florida

It is not for everybody. Some like kink some don't. We call people like you vanilla

June 15, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

"We call people like you vanilla" Having a rulebook, a plan, and safewords so you can do it without any surprises is like vanilla rocky ice milk as far as I am concerned, and I am anything but vanilla. More like rocky road with big nuts, or pistachio surprise. You do know what pirates meant by a "jolly Roger," don't you?

June 15, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • SilentBoy741

Stormtrooper and the Milkmaid; ha, that's funny! Now all I can picture is a Stormtrooper standing over a chained milkmaid... The codpiece on the Trooper swings up like the bonnet on a Ferrari, and she says, "Aren't you a little short to be a Stormtrooper?". Thanks for the laugh, man.

June 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

Oh man, you ought to write that out and post it somewhere. The world is waiting.

June 15, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  81. Tony

Women love to be treated badly then fooled by a small kind act, they are so nieve...I have three and they all know.

June 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Please

And I'm sure you have 10"....maybe you should pen a fiction book of your own

June 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
      • Bugg

I think he just did :)

June 15, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Mike

Naive, Tony. What are you, 13?

June 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  82. monarch811

When I read this book all I could think about was that I wanted someone to do this to me...

June 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • Frank

Address please!

June 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
      • monarch811

sorry not today

June 15, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

In reality, you would itch in uncomfortable places, and have to fight the urge to giggle over and over, which is kind of a turn-off. What you want is someone's total attention for a long, slow time. Position and costume are irrelevant.

June 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  83. Narnia

50 Shades of Grey is a sign of the END TIMES. REPENT!

June 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • rstlne

OK, I seriously dislike the whole idea of what this book covers – but Repent? Really???

June 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Bugg

Your mindset is a sign of the end of times. Repent, yourself! Or maybe I should say, "Go repent yourself".....or similar.

June 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

I thought awful movie adaptations of CS Lewis were the sign of the apocalypse.

June 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  84. Tom

Why do people who don't like them give them so much free publicity?

June 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
  85. webpuppy

Better adult reading here: webpuppy.blogspot.com

June 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • Sophia

@Webpuppy – your writing is quite steamy/intriguing. Why'd you stop. Looks like your last post was in 2010.

June 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
      • webpuppy

@ Sophia

I am "gathering more material" ;-) write to me webuppy45@hotmail.com

June 15, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Sophia

I think you meant to use a p in that address, right?

June 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
  86. Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Throw in a little human sacrifice and I'm there.

June 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  87. webpuppy

Food Network is running the adult feature "50 Shades of Grey Poupon" this month

June 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • Ha!

OhMyGawd, this post is so funny... never laughed out loud before at a comment, but this one did it! Thanks

June 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
      • webpuppy

:-)

June 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • mustard

hahaha....gone one!

June 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

Two Rolls-Royces parked in a clearing; the tinted windows roll down in unison. "Pardon me," says a baritone voice. "Would you happen to have any-"
      "Get in the car," snaps a female voice from the other Rolls. "Don't waste my time."
      "Yes, mistress," the baritone calls meekly.
      "And don't forget the rye bread this time or I won't punish you."

June 15, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  88. LT

I really hope they do not make this book into a movie... I have not read it, and will never read it, and do not care to see any version of it.

June 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • NK

Movie be cool.

June 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • mmiller

And your judgmental opinion is based on...?

June 15, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
      • Bugg

Exactly. I "love" seeing these types of comment, where someone screams "I hate it! Well....I actually haven't experienced it at all.....but I hate it anyway! Because I like my opinions completely uninformed! Hmph!"

June 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
      • LT

First of all, neither of you can read, I never passed any judgement just voiced I didn't care to read it, there is a difference.

June 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Catnip

Free country! You don't have to read it or watch the movie if you don't want too.

June 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • LT

@mmiller – I have heard enough to know I don't care to.
      @Catnip – Thank you

June 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Melinda

Who says you have to have anything to do with it? You're not interested so nobody else can enjoy it? I don't like stamp collecting, but if someone wants to do that, I say knock yourself out!

June 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
      • CynycismAbound

I don't see he/she having done anything other than stating an opinion. He addressed himself the entire post, never said anyone else did or did not have to do something......why can't a person have a non-intrusive opinion anymore???

June 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

I personally have no interest in the book or the movie, but a movie would generate millions of dollars. Much of that would go to people who hold up microphones or point klieg lights or carry scripts, and to theaters and their employees. So why not? Can't be worse than TRANSFORMERS.

June 15, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  89. Cindy

Sad that any women finds this book an acceptable read.

June 15, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Please

Pull the stick out of your a**

June 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
      • SilentBoy741

I believe that happens in the NEXT book.

June 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
      • Cindy

PLEASE..really? Very intelligent and mature.

June 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • Bugg

Sad that you can't live and let live.

June 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
      • Cindy

Free country Bugg. Do whatever you want. I find it unacceptable you don't. Too bad you cannot let someone voice their opinion

June 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
      • Please

Too bad you can't take a little criticism. You sound like a big ball of fun too.

June 15, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
      • Cindy

PLEASE. You are quite entertaining and obviously a&@. Maybe you are the one with think skin. Go crawl under your rock.

June 15, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • LizRod22

I consider myself to be an educated, outspoken, modern woman. I have a demanding job as an IT manager and spend most days telling a large group of people what/when/how to do things, so the idea of a man taking charge in certain situations can be quite appealing. My husband knows the best gift he could possibly give on a special occasion is to have a plan that involves me making zero decisions.

June 15, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  90. Angelina3

I read these books and absolutely loved them. If you don't like it don't read it. It is fiction and not meant to be taken so seriously...don't understand why people bash it so much. Obviously it is huge since it has sold 10 million copies and is being made into a movie. I love Christian Grey's character and want more of the story!!!

June 15, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • Outlander

I read them all, have done a re-read, and LOVE them!!! I don't want a movie made though. Hollyweird would ruin it.

June 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
  91. CatastropheCathy

I called it 50 shades of stupidity in my blog. Waste of a read. I would prefer something that uses my brain just a little more.

catastrophecathy.blogspot.com

June 15, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • SilentBoy741

That's what I thought when I read your blog.

June 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  92. BFG

Try reading publications by Nancy Friday to get some insight...

June 15, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  93. Dawn

Not reading the book. Not going to see it in the movie theatre.

June 15, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Please

....but yet you clicked on the story anyway and commented...

June 15, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Bookenz

You know you want to...

June 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
  94. JenLaw

Hey, we want a gentleman in public and a bad boy in the bedroom. Just not a control freak like Grey. How can this be news to anyone? Are there still men out there that don't get this?

June 15, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • Catnip

June 15, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Terri

Speak for yourself. That's not what I want, nor is it what any of my female friends want.

June 15, 2012 at 11:59 am |
      • JenLaw

Oh wow, my sister's on line, hi Terri!

June 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
      • JaxLyn

You've obviously never experienced any of it then. If you havent fantasized about it or explored it, you don't have the reason to knock it. I never imagined I'd enjoy it, till I met a stranger, a wealthy man with a penchant for bondage tape, candles and expensive red wine... best night of MY life!

June 15, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • CynycismAbound

Yes....because you gave a valid reason why not to like him....he's completely controlling, and today's women don't want to be controlled. Then again who does?...if it was the other way i'd have the same opinion, so we don't understand why this man and his central theme goes against everything women want in a man.

June 15, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Bob

Tons of men out there don't get it... yet. It's part of the "why aren't there any good men left" effect. Woman claims to want a good man, gets a good man, cheats on him with the bad boy. The good man then becomes a total d-bag and gets laid by tons of chicks, who then complain they can't find a good man.

Men don't understand what women want until they get destroyed by women, and then once they learn they become only half of what a woman wants because that's what's most beneficial to them and what's in their pants. It also keeps women in line, because no matter what a woman says when a man puts a short leash on her she's more faithful than the woman who gets the respect and freedom she demands. I see it all the time, every friend who gets treated like crap by her boyfriend or husband is far more faithful than the ones with men who let them have their freedom like they ask.

I have mostly female friends. It boggles my mind that the majority of them don't understand this. What's worse is they raise their sons to become that good guy that's not bad enough to keep a woman. It's a never ending cycle. The only people who seem to be somewhat immune to this are geeky/intelligent chicks. Those are the ones you marry.

June 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
      • CynycismAbound

Women talk about a good man.....but there's just a few good women for the same reason. The demographic you speak of has a higher percentage of good women, just as the good guys are a lot of times the intellectuals. There's a reason for that, it's smart to be faithful, a build a life with one person. It builds stability and you can work together better as a team for everything you want in life.

I'm lucky, I found a good woman.

June 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
      • Terri B

I wear a leash for no one...no matter what the length

June 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
      • Some dude

Man, you nailed it.

June 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Dave

Oh, I get it, Jen. That's why I avoid women who have problems.

June 15, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
      • JenLaw

FYI, that would be all women, Dave.

June 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Frank

Men want a whore in the bedroom and a lady in public.

June 15, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
      • CynycismAbound

Neither of which involves being controlling. Who wants to be controlled?....that's the issue at hand, that we don't understand. There's gentlemen that are the same in bed as what you say we want (which we do...)...

June 15, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

"Men" want a lady; the bedroom's none of your business, kid.

June 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  95. moe smith

the author of this book hasn't gotten any for so long, she's got cobwebs and dust in every crack and crevasse. Someone needs to get this chick high, feed her some ecstasy and oysters and bend her over a chair.

June 15, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • JenLaw

Me first!!

June 15, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • Hugh Jass

Moe, I'm afraid that says more about you than it does about her. Maybe someone should bend YOU over a chair and do some of the stuff in the book to you, hmmm?

June 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Please

I believe that was done already...how do you think she was able to write the book genius?

June 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • tim

so i see you read the book.......

June 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  96. James

What a waste of paper. I read as much as I could stand of the book. You have to be under 12 to enjoy this stupid book. I am over 50 years old and I read all the Twilight books, they are no where near as bad as this book!

June 15, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  97. Keith

No one saw it coming? TrueBlood, Twilight, etc., all the rage... you have blood, pain, leather, intimacy, domination and submission. How much BDSM do you need to see this coming?

June 15, 2012 at 11:30 am |
  98. Jimmy

yawn

June 15, 2012 at 11:28 am |

True dat

June 15, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  99. Todd W Olson

This is all Obama's fault.

June 15, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • Obama

Right; I got your wife into liking bondage. You're welcome. There's NOTHING I can't do.

June 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
      • SilentBoy741

So this year's campaign slogan is "Chains We Can Believe In"?

June 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
      • Obama

"Chains We Can Believe In" We're going to whip America's problems into quivering submission and then lick them good, and then do it all over again for good measure. We're not getting roped into some uncomfortable position unless there are obvious and wide-open advantages.

June 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
  100. Abdul Al-Sharrif

Please stop the Islamophobia , it makes America less safe , just stop the hate ...

June 15, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • blam

The things women will let you do to them...in fiction. See, my comment was saved by that last word "fiction". Go on and have a happy Friday, ladies.

June 15, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • Budster

No Abdul, crazy people that make bombs make America less safe. Put the blame where it belongs.

June 15, 2012 at 11:35 am |
      • sebhai

No,gun crimes is..
        Oh my god another black kid got shot!!

June 16, 2012 at 6:45 am |
    • Marc L from NY

Kind of funny that you are saying that American's should stop the hate. Wasn't it the hate of the terrorists that started it?

June 15, 2012 at 11:39 am |
      • durundal

Actually Marc L from NY if you bothered to look at the history of relations between ourselves and the militant jihadists you would recognize that we have a history of using them and casting them aside. Or have you forgotten that we even armed Bin Laden and trained his men? Our playing fast and loose with peoples of other nations and blatant disresepect/imperialism has a tendency to make other cultures angry – now have power seeking clerics and factions use that to gain power and suddenly things boil over. Read up on Charlie Wilson's War....its an interesting read

June 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
      • asdfdsfds

abdul, go f yourself

June 15, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
      • sebhai

I know right?As if hearing the whites telling people to stop the reverse racism.

June 16, 2012 at 6:42 am |
    • Ahmad

Abdul is wajibul katil now.

June 15, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Mustaf Herod Apur Poupr

Yes, enough!

June 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
      • Hous-Bin Pharteen

BOOM!

June 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
      • Pumagirl

June 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
      • Yuleek M'Deek

II can't stop laughing now. Best SNL skit EVER!!! "we believe it to have been a dirty bomb" LOLOL!!!!!

June 15, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

"just stop the hate ..." You first, since it's so easy. Just get all the crazy people to stop being crazy; we'll wait.

June 15, 2012 at 2:26 pm |