Is a comic book character's sexual orientation really news?
Cover art from "Earth 2."
June 12th, 2012

Is a comic book character's sexual orientation really news?

Editor's note: Erika D. Peterman is a Florida-based writer and editor, and the co-creator of the comics blog Girls-Gone-Geek.com.

After DC Comics made it official that Green Lantern Alan Scott is gay, the reaction from the Trolliverse was as predictable as it was ridiculous. On Facebook, a friend hilariously mocked the all-caps, incorrectly punctuated outrage thusly:

“UGH ALAN SCOTT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER IN COMICS DC YOU REALLY *&%#? UP THIS TIME ALAN SCOTT IS THE MOST CLASSIC DC CHARACTER NOW HE’S GAY WTF”

It’s safe to say that those people didn’t pick up “Earth 2” No. 2 last week, when Scott made his debut in the relaunched DC Universe. Gay characters in mainstream comics aren’t new, but DC took a chance in changing the sexual orientation of an established character like Scott. Before the relaunch, he was a middle-aged hero whose son, Obsidian, was gay.

The coy, press-baiting runup to the announcement is another matter.

To be fair, DC didn’t make a big deal out of it initially. The site Bleeding Cool reported that, in response to a question about LGBT characters at London’s Kapow comic book convention, DC Co-publisher Dan DiDio said a yet-unnamed, existing straight character would be relaunched as gay in the new 52. Speculation was inevitable.

But then the company started using words like “mystery” and “big upcoming twist,” giving the whole thing a tacky, Where’s Waldo? quality. DC also said the character would be iconic, but that turned out to be a stretch. An icon is someone that the average person on the street recognizes. Let’s be real here: Scott is well-known to people who read comics, but he isn’t Clark Kent or even Hal Jordan. To get really technical about it, Earth 2 isn’t even main continuity but a parallel universe.

Around the same time, Marvel made headlines of its own with the news of X-Men character Northstar’s marriage to his boyfriend, Kyle. (Marvel revealed that Northstar was gay in 1992.) Given the ongoing debate in this country over gay couples’ right to get married, one could argue that this event is at least topical, and comic book nuptials have been the subjects of news releases before. But in the case of Scott, should the mere fact of a character’s sexual orientation be the subject of a teasing publicity grab? Why not just let the character speak for himself and then let the blogosphere go to town?

Sure, Archie Comics got plenty of attention in 2010 after introducing its first gay character, Kevin Keller, who wed his boyfriend in the alternate-reality “Life with Archie” series. But considering that Archie Comics hadn’t exactly been known for risk-taking and there were no gay characters in Riverdale previously, Kevin’s arrival seemed legitimately noteworthy.

Brian Andersen, a pro-LGBT independent comics creator and longtime comics reader, said that while there is an element of exploitation in DC’s actions, there is also an upside.

“Do I view this exploitation as a terrible, awful, negative thing? Not so much,” Andersen said. “If only because, in the long run, whether it’s with these recent ‘big gay additions’ to mainstream comics being tossed into the superhero stew for monetary reasons or publicity’s sake, or because of a genuine desire to better reflect our current culture … the end result will eventually lead us down the same path and to the same destination: widespread acceptance and support of LGBT people.”

And for all the trolling, there’s evidence that this is already happening. In a case of the Internet being awesome, fans overwhelmed the One Million Moms Facebook page with pro-DC sentiments after the organization posted a warning (their words) about Green Lantern being gay. DC’s Batwoman, who is lesbian, was so well-received after her 2009 debut in "Detective Comics" that she got her own ongoing title. Same with Keller, who became an Archie fan favorite.

Andersen said the introduction of gay superheroes remains groundbreaking and newsworthy for a couple of reasons. They remain rare in mainstream comics. That they exist at all comes as a surprise to bystanders who assume, incorrectly, that comic books are a kiddie affair. Just as the creation of African-American characters in the 1960s and ’70s reflected the nation’s cultural evolution — even with the cringe-inducing names — so does the growing visibility of caped crime-fighters who happen to be gay, he said.

“For us long-term homosexual comic book geeks, it’s great to see not just a gay hero in our favorite form of literature but also a gay hero with a romantic life, one where they get to share a few on-screen smooches … finally,” Andersen said. “I, for one, welcome the exploitation for now because, it is my fervent hope that in five years or so, this cultural gay hoopla will be so pedestrian and boring that it will barely be worthy of a raised eyebrow.”

1. Ferdinand Parga

DeGeneres started performing stand-up comedy at small clubs and coffee houses. By 1981 she was the emcee at Clyde's Comedy Club in New Orleans. DeGeneres cites Woody Allen and Steve Martin as her main influences at this time.:^

Our web blog
    <http://caramoanpackage.com

May 4, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
  2. Mark

Sharon, I saw them on the TV news too. It was bittersweet since they're now so erdlley and one is in a wheelchair and seems in poor health. I agree about legislating love. You'd think they'd want to promote any kind of love with all the hate in the world right now.

August 4, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
  3. Lars

If I told my shrink that I thought I was really a goat trapped in a man's body, and I was only attracted to goat, that would be a condition I could not help. It would be my choice to make out with a goat. Can I make that case? Not yet maybe, but anything is possible. I sorry that psychology had abandoned the g ay research and threw their hands up and said its a choice and everyone else has to accept it. But what about what offends me? What if I don't like seeing it? Am I force to see laying of hands and more on TV and movie and in public? And in comic book? Children are influence by environment and family values. They know what is right by example. Seeing two men HEROs, role models, promote that behaviour seems an open invitation for the child to immitate that.

June 20, 2012 at 9:32 am |
  4. Not Shocked

Am I the only one shocked that there aren't MORE gay super heroes? I mean, hello, I can count on 1 hand the number of straight men who wear spandex. I need a spreadsheet to compile the gay ones.

Oh, and enough with the anti-gay rhetoric. People are people. If you cannot accept them, then live and let live. Remind me who said 'love thy neighbor' and 'judge not lest ye be judged'?

June 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
  5. robertholt

Is a gay super hero really news? It’s bad news when even our comic books depict and promote an immoral lifestyle and treat it as if it's ok. Sooner or later – payday.

June 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  6. Omar

I'm in love with my pet goat, Sheeba, and want to marry it. Don't judge me. (it's the same absurdity being gay)

June 15, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • Dan I

Really? Your pet goat is capable of reasoned thought, deliberation and consent to a contract (which is ultimately what marriage is so far as the government is concerned)?

Wow, that's one hell of a goat. No wonder you're so in love with her.

June 15, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Derek

No, you're being a POS on purpose. It's people like you that define the word 'absurdity' ... you are the 1%

June 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  7. Omar

Remember that being gay is like having a disability. They can;t help it.

June 15, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • Derek

that must be hard to say with that giant c@ck in your mouth...

June 15, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
  8. Rob

"widespread support of LGBT people" LOL. Not in this country, EVER. Maybe in NYC, LA and some other liberal areas. NEVER really it really matters, the heartland of this country. Real Americans will never accept your warped morals. BTW, there is NO such thing as gay marriage. Not even in states that think they recognize it. Calling a dog a cat still don't make it meow. Marriage is, and has always been, ONLY one man, one woman. period. Call yourselves what you like, doesn't make it true.

June 15, 2012 at 6:59 am |
    • Bart

Sure, there is no such thing as gay marriage. It should just be called marriage. There is no need for the word "gay" in front of it. ;)

June 15, 2012 at 9:09 am |
      • Omar

But is gay and thereofre the word should stick. Let us not forget that a real marriage is between man and woman. This can;t be called marriage by itself because it will throw people off. There for gay marriage is perfectly defined as to what it is.

June 15, 2012 at 11:05 am |
      • eroteme

And should it come to be do not describe human/animal marriage as animal mariage, just marriage.

June 15, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • mique

Poor Rob. Sometimes the world goes on without you.

June 15, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • Derek

it's funny, cuz it's always people like you Rob ( repub and morallay 'sound' ) that are caught texting young boys and picking up men in airport bathrooms ...

June 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • Dan I

Because Iowa is a bastion of liberal thought right?

June 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  9. Dean

Comic books and gays in the news...............................No wonder the world laughs at us.

June 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
  10. Like a BOSS

Complaining about a made up character being gay is gay.

June 14, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • Patty O'Door

So is complaining about complaining about it. Oh, LOOK! We're ALL gay!

There. Now that that foolishness is over, let's get back to playing with our deer and our antelope!

June 14, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
  11. jack 1

Now I could understand if they said the charctor "The Flame" was gay

June 14, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • Patty O'Door

Is that The Human Torch's alter ego? He did seem a bit overly butch.

June 14, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Derek

good call

June 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
  12. BriSoFla

Jesus F..A..G..s need to be exterminated or at the very least round up and behind electric fences and they will soon realize that the per-verts that prey on their kids are in fact their priests! HA!

June 14, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • Ann Onymous

Yes...with you leading the way inside.

June 14, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  13. BriSoFla

Jesus Freaks Against G-a-y-s are now known as Jesus F..A..G..s.

June 14, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • jack 1

That's just the problem...you phags want everyone to be like you, now you're trying to give them your name

June 14, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  14. FROST

never trust a man with two first names. especially when picking up the soap.

June 14, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • Patty O'Door

Please! Tell us more! You seem to be a regular fount of information about that!
      Practice, practice, practice! (wink, wink!)

June 14, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
  15. FROST

i knew the green stuff dripping from him was really white.

June 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  16. RedecorateYourFaceON!

Exactly what does the Super Fashion-sense power do?

June 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • ThinkHarder

Makes his ring summon green, skin tight clothing.

June 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  17. jack 1

Why would someone want to make anyone gay especially someone who children will be watching. We all Knowhumans were'nt made to be with the same gender. Why set someone up for confusion at a young age? This gay thing is way out of hand.

June 14, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Oneironaut

Like it or not, gay kids exist everywhere. It's more confusing for them NOT to see any people like them. Your OPINION that people aren't meant to be attracted to those of the same gender doesn't mean that some aren't.

June 14, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
      • Omar

I love my dog, Sparkles, and want to marry it. Shame on those who judge me.

June 15, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • ThinkHarder

"Why would someone want to make anyone gay especially someone who children will be watching."
      Education. Children will learn about the real world. Parents will find that demonizing gays is less easy when children come to know they exist and can be good people. Why would you refuse to present them as such?

"We all Knowhumans were'nt made to be with the same gender. Why set someone up for confusion at a young age?"
      Confusion results from lack of explanation, or distorted facts. Also, some parents would rather avoid a topic than do the parently duty of teaching with honesty. So do your job. (The condition of being attracted to the same gender, and not the opposite gender, is not a choice.)

"This gay thing is way out of hand."
      Not out of hand, but more importantly it's not "out of sight, out of mind." Visibility is important for social issues.

June 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
      • jack 1

You both are have warped thinking.

June 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
      • jack 1

Also let me add. that excuse that it's not a choice is wrong. All but very very few make a choice, at some point they decided to do the act. Mayeb something happened in their past or for what ever reason but it wasn't a mistake by mother nature, Mother nature doesn't mess up that much. They made the choice.

June 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Ann Onymous

It's not the gays kids have to worry about. It's the straight-posing ped0phyles.

June 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  18. Axie

I think it's newsworthy b/c it's a MAIN character and not a side-kick or supporting character. Good for DC!

June 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  19. Bob

The teal chandelier.

June 14, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  20. citizenUSA

Who/whatever is auditing my comments needs more training. I said nothing offensive. I said nothing deragatory towards gay people as I support gay cuases although I'm not gay. Shame I can't speak my mind.

June 14, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • ThinkHarder

i think they have a filter in place for certain words like s3x (with an e). if such a word appears in your submission, the submission will automatically not be posted. so, try to be creative with another spelling or another word entirely.

June 14, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Patty O'Door

Why, sugah.....you CAN speak yo mind...if y'all had one! Tee hee!

June 14, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • Sambhaji

I gave my dad a big big father's day card and paetsd pictures of us inside. He was really really surprised because he thought it was just an ordinary greeting card aside from the large size.Dad, I can still remember the numerous times you carried me in your arms and waded through the flood just so I could get to school. You probably think that I was still too small then to remember but I do.You didn’t want me to ruin my school uniform and miss school and that was the only way we could get there. Thank you for being kind, selfless and giving. You were the only one who believed in me and trusted me when I was going through a rough patch. Now that I have made it through, I look back and realize that I couldn’t have made it without you. You told me to go on and be strong, and I did that.Our relationship isn’t perfect, but if I had the choice to choose my father, I would still choose you. Happy Father’s Day!

September 15, 2012 at 1:22 am |
  21. jim

It's an excellent way to introduce children to the world of political correctness........the world where nothing is right or wrong, it's all just a matter of perspective.

June 14, 2012 at 8:15 am |
    • mike

a world of no right or wrong. that is so wrong on so many levels.

June 14, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • Oneironaut

No, just where nothing is right or wrong simply on the basis of s3xuality.

June 14, 2012 at 10:24 am |
  22. Bruce

Has already helped. One Million Moms website was flooded with DC supporters. (OMM only has 10K members, but over 40K followers, why? Because you have to "like them" to be able to post. They couldn't delete the positive messages fast enough, so they shut down their FB page!) Keep the rants coming, more controversy, more news, more sales, etc. I love it!

June 14, 2012 at 7:08 am |
    • Haldan

“One Million Moms website” ... my understanding is that this organization is made up of a bunch of old white guys.

June 14, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  23. dcsux

in episode 2 he's gonna have a priest for a sidekick and be a football coach who showers with little boys

June 14, 2012 at 12:39 am |
    • Roywarner

Sounds like a true pedophile poster.

June 14, 2012 at 10:02 am |
    • Axie

Cause "all gays are predators". Troll.

June 14, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  24. Drac

Who cares what the comic book characters do? Only kids and mentally ill people read them anyway and only a gay would read a gay comic book so what.s the big deal?

June 13, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
  25. John

The Marvel "gay marriage" was news worthy. The DC outing a character as gay was not – or rather, was so 15 years ago and a lame attempt to detract from Marvel's event.

June 13, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
  26. tokuiten

It's not. It was when Northstar and Spectral (who else remembers the Ultraverse?) came out in the early '90s, but not now.

Reboots, on the other hand, have always been cheap headline grabs that sacrifice storytelling for attention. There's a reason I've always preferred Marvel to DC: they don't pull Crisis crap.

June 13, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
    • Fade

LOL. I suppose you never heard of Spider mans reboot? Or Cap coming back to life? Or...or...or...

June 14, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  27. T Sloane

Wasn't Golden Age Green Lantern's weakness wood?

June 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • m0rtis

lol, wow, yeah - i SHOULD have made that connection. :D

June 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
  28. nairb247

Ummmm. Don't care. Can't believe I even read the article.

June 13, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • Patty O'Door

Why, I can't either! Sakes alive, I didn't even KNOW you could READ!

June 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • Steve

My dad has his weaknesses. No, he didn't go aronud womanizing or getting drunk or wasting earnings on gambling; on the other hand, he can be so tender-hearted that he couldn't muster enough authority and will to be the kind of father I wanted to have. My ideal father was one who would protect his family from dishonor, especially his daugthers; one who would be the wise voice together with the mother that would impart practical yet long-lived advice to his children. My dad wasn't the pillar of the home which I wanted him to be. He was very awkward when it came to giving realistic advice about boys, relationships, and even on faith and religion (he is a devout Catholic) somehow, along the way, our values clashed. You could even say that I grew up faster than my dad when it came to practical matters. My dad is in the States now together with my family (I was left behind because of VISA complications aged out policy and all that) and I haven't seen him in person for three years or so. However, despite his shortcomings, I think the greatest gift I had given him was my forgiveness. So maybe he's not the dad of my dreams. But my dad has called me sweetheart, his little girl, and he would sing me songs as I sat on his lap as a child. There was one time when he even gave me the spare the rod and spoil the child treatment, but that's all far and gone from my mind, and I no longer begrudge him of that, and the bitterness from those experiences are no longer in my heart.I'll work hard, be on top, and make sure that my folks retire comfortably and happy, and be happy and fulfilled in the process of working my way to it. I'll choose my spouse carefully and marry wisely, and make sure that I bring my dad (and mom as well hehe) a wonderful son-in-law, and of course don't forget the grandkids. XD These are just plans, and it's a tough world out there. But I am grateful to my dad, even with the things he lacked. I'm still on my two feet with dreaming dreams I can still afford. He's not the best dad in the world, but hell, he's still my dad, and I love him.

September 13, 2012 at 6:07 am |
  29. lindaluttrell

Who cares??? It's a comic book character...it isn't real (or is it?) by some reactions...

June 13, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
  30. Dan W

Every Gay has his or her day when they realize they simply can't pray the Gay away. I'm glad the Green Lantern has finally come out of the closet. Luckily for us, he was already played by a Gay who was confused by the fact that he was still living in a world with 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'.

June 13, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
  31. robert

didn't anybody catch the metaphor back in 1966 when the tv series showed two guys in tights fighting crime: Batman and Robin. HELLO?

June 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • Rick

Barney Frank as Pole Man and Rachel Maddow as his trusty sidekick Bush Wacker

June 13, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Sam Stone

not only that, but the mayor of gotham city and the chief of police could not figure out that batman and robin were bruce wayne and dick grayson

June 14, 2012 at 6:12 am |
    • Sam Stone

And, both batman and robin took lots of joy when they got to go down on the bat poles

June 14, 2012 at 6:14 am |
  32. Pimpson

It just proves that gays are trying to target children.

June 13, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Dan W

DC comics are for teens. Gays need positive role models who show that it's ok to "get the guy" instead of always chasing after the girl.

June 13, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • Sam Stone

Pimpson.....i think you are confusing them with the vatican

June 14, 2012 at 6:15 am |
    • Roywarner

Positive role models for young adults is always a good thing. Saving children from bullying, suicide, etc. certainly is a worthy cause, almost as worthy as saving them from posters like yourself & religious bigots.

June 14, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • Patty O'Door

Dearie, don't project so much of yourself into the story. It looks bad.

June 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
  33. B. Russell

All superheros are gay! They wear tights and panties on the outside don't they??

June 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • Patty O'Door

No, sweetie. That's YOU. And remember, the hole in the front of your shorts is NOT for you to peek through.

June 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
  34. chaz

a gay superhero is impossible as a superhero is someone you look up too

June 13, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Dan W

The LGBT are the Kings and Queens of culture, get used to it. The 5000 year dark ages are over.

June 13, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
      • Omar

Kings and Queens, Abomination Generation. It's all the same thing I guess.

June 15, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • sam stone

chaz....it must suck to be you

June 14, 2012 at 9:45 am |
      • Omar

Chaz may suck, but atleast nothing pokes him in the back of the neck when he does so.

June 15, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I think chaz has looked up to more than few gays in his life. From his knees.

June 14, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • Bob

It's hard to look up to someone who's always trying to get behind you.

June 14, 2012 at 11:17 am |
      • Patty O'Door

Bob knows all about that. After all, BOB stands for "Bend Over, Boy".

June 14, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • Patty O'Door

Poor Chaz. Are people looking down on you again? Maybe if you brushed your tooth once in a while.

June 14, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
  35. Major

It will be funny when the original Alan Scott from the original Earth 2 eventually meets this new version of himself in a mega-event, just to see his reaction...

June 13, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  36. mejazzbo

Entertainment news, yes.

June 13, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  37. Byron

Unless it one of the more popular, more influential characters in comics, outing a character is pretty much like NOT outing a character. No one cares.

June 13, 2012 at 10:08 am |
  38. bob

Really a gay agenda, did faux news and rush gumball make that one up? why are people so afraid of gays? Are you afraid you might be one?who really effen cares! people are people!

June 13, 2012 at 8:50 am |
    • Bob

Children should not be exposed to perversion. The indoctrination continues.

June 14, 2012 at 11:18 am |
      • ThinkHarder

Your demonizing of the gays is the true perversion. Abandon your wicked ways.

June 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  39. Robert

It's not that big of a deal. Truth is that for a majority of people Green Lantern was that Ryan Reynolds movie. Most people never heard of Alan Scott. I only hope they write the character well.

June 12, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
  40. Stupid

Why do this with an existing character. It is not right to change all the perceptions millions of people had about a character, some may have thought he was gay others not but now you change that and force it on people when you could have created a new character. I really don't care gay or not and frankly am not into comics but doing this just makes it seem like what the people say about it being forced on them. If all of a sudden producers said Herman Munster was gay and was cheating on Lily I would be angry because I remember Herman as who he was and married to Lily.

Wow it is like gay is so special that you have to push it out there on everyone, leave people alone, let them think what they want and you and gay persons do the same. Most people don't care until something stupid like this is done. Wow just wow.

June 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • Right I agree

You are right why not just create a new character. Are they now going to label each character. Stop trying to be so special most of us could care less if a person is gay and don't need to be told comic book characters are gay unless it is a new one and that is relevant to him or her.

June 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
      • B. Russell

Yeah, why not Sausage Man or Anal Ace??

June 13, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • Oneironaut

It doesn't sound like you read comics. Writers are ALWAYS changing the nature of various heroes. The reason why there's an Earth 2 to begin with is because characters' back stories are always being changed. This is nothing new.

When only a handful of comic book characters are gay and the rest are straight... what's being forced on who???

June 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
      • Stupid

well you are right I don't read comics anymore but I did when I was a kid and I don't remember ever even giving it a thought if one character was straight or gay. I just think that taking a character as big as Green Lantern and making a saying he is gay is wrong, that is not a small change or back story thing. As for characters being straight and the who is forcing on who argument well that is silly because I don't think any of them promote a character as straight. I have never heard any statement that would indicate that a character was only straight and that had to be known but they are now saying green Lantern is gay and that has to be known why. Again a new character would have been fine if the need to have a specifically gay comic hero is really needed, would have been easy and would not mess with any person perception and memory of the old character. Sorry but gay is not special and I won't treat it as such and frankly gay people should not either. I realize there are anti gay people but that is their problem and it won't help to try to make gay special.

June 12, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
      • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oneironaut score 1
        Stupid score 0

June 14, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • Silver Slurper

I'm pretty sure Lily was cheating on Herman with Marilyn.

June 12, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
      • chaz

snork...tooo funny

June 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Toby

Coincidentally, it was just announced that NBC is going to get a reboot of the Munsters, and Ellen DeGeneres's wife, Portia de Rossi (of Arrested Development), is going to play Lily Munster.

June 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  41. joe

That's not right or wrong... it's just gay.

June 12, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  42. Parrish

No, but that's never stopped CNN before.

June 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  43. Mark

Who cares. The question that we all have to be asking here is "why is CNN trying to create news from a comic book?"

June 12, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  44. George

As if our kids don't get enough messed up influence from TV and schools, now they will have gay comic books to read... Wow, what in the world is going on???

June 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Oneironaut

Don't you care what gay kids go through?

June 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
      • Lorenzo

I never used to be separated from home. That’s why I never eorllned in Baguio nor Manila in College. I felt that i am not complete without my parents and siblings beside me, or sleep without my favorite pillow and bed.I’ve been married for 5 years now, but initially been living with my parents. Aside from financial constraints, the reason is the fact that i will miss my mom, my brothers and sisters and most especially my dad, my bestfirend. But even if we do not want to, we need to do things or make decisions for good. We need to build our own house and establish a happy home for our family. Ever since we moved out of our house just a year ago, I never let a day go by without telling him I love him. I always make a call, and still find time to chat. I want him to know that even from a distance, my heart never fails to remember.I love you dad, happy father’s day to you.

September 15, 2012 at 2:23 am |
    • ellid

Comics are reflecting reality?

June 14, 2012 at 7:19 am |
  45. Ty

Reblogged this on A Robin Hood's Musing.

June 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
  46. Kris

No, it is NOT news.

June 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  47. m0rtis

Well, lets not forget, this is Earth 2 - apparently a place where a male gay couple can, in public, have an arm around each other or kiss without getting dirty looks, attacked, or worse.

So much for Earth 1, where WE live.

June 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
  48. Allen

The resurgence of gay and lesbian characterss is not new in comics. The story of Northstar in the Alpa Flight series was great as it not only told of hm being gay ut also him having HIV. It was not lookedd as as O he's gay but a story and it was a great read. When stories are just made and not made to be news it seems more true to the appeal of a reader and less to it being something that will generate money due to its contraversy.

June 12, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  49. Jack

They should have changed his name to the Green Weiner.

June 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • Diatribe Lunatic

That's the wiener calling the kettle green.

June 12, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
  50. Slicc

I always thought it was Aquaman... But honestly do people really care about DC characters aside from Batman? Should a gay comic book character be news hmmm NOPE. But neither should Snooki or the Kardashians

June 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  51. truth1063

What a complete and utter joke. Hype to sell a dying comic book. I understand the gay agenda and all...but essential retro rewriting characters? Lame and weak....

June 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  52. Curt

Don't forget Ace and Gary, the Ambiguously Gay Duo

June 12, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • Silver Slurper

Say, your gay! No theyre not! They're fruits!

June 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
  53. James

It's called forcing the gay agenda on people. Sorry SUper Heroes from teh beginnign were never gay. In this mondern era of "do what you want as long as you don't bother me" has this come about. Sorry, my super heroes are manly with a manliness. It's not hate, it's what I "prefer"

June 12, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • Oneironaut

Your ignorance is showing here. Gay men can be as "manly" as any straight guy. If gay guys are tough enough to serve i the Marines, they're tough enough to be comic book heroes. Gay kids are some of the biggest comic book fans in the world. They identify strongly with the idea of a dual persona and long to see something in themselves reflected in the media. It helps them realize that they're not alone and that the negative stereotypes about gay people needn't apply to them; they are as much a part of the world as anyone else.

June 12, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • I am God

Forcing the Gay Agenda on people? Kinda like how you guys force the dumb Christian agenda on people.

June 12, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • sam stone

James: Do you feel that gay men are all lispy and effeminate?

June 14, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • Patty O'Door

Ooo! James like's his men BUTCH! You go girl!

June 14, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
  54. daviddmsvcp

I always thought Green Lantern was gay.

June 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
  55. Kevin O.

Green Lantern has been gay since he was conceived. Why is this news?

Is it news because people were too naive to know he is gay or is it news to stir up anti-gay ire?

June 12, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
  56. Jerry

Hype to sell comics, an industry with declining sales, quite sadly. The Hulk had an issue which included Jim Wilson, a long time repeat character and friend of Hulk who begged Bruce Banner for a blood transfusion in a plea to help him beat AIDS. Not only was Jim admittedly gay but he died a tragic death in the comic. So... news? Nah, but let DC have the press.

June 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  57. FRank

This is a JOKE! god save our kids!

June 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • Jerry

No joke, and hopefully not another platform for religious zealots to try to use as a new springboard. No, scratch that – go ahead! It'll just boost comic sales.

June 12, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
      • Jack

You are an idiot.

June 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
      • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

He maybe an idiot but he is correct.

June 14, 2012 at 10:19 am |