The dark side of World Goth Day
May 22nd, 2012

The dark side of World Goth Day

Dim the lights, slather on your eyeliner and get ready to sway in place to the strains of the Sisters of Mercy: May 22 is World Goth Day.

Every day is Halloween to devotees of Gothic music, art, fashion and lifestyle, but this spring celebration is a chance to shed some light on an often-misunderstood subculture. Ask a dozen self-described Goths what the word means, and you'll get 12 different takes, but generally the underpinnings of the aesthetic could be described as "dark." It's life scored in a minor key but not necessarily as morbid or death-obsessed as it's often made out to be.

For every faux fang-wearing, coffin-sleeping, blood-obsessed princess of the night or neon-dreadlocked Cybergoth, there's a pink ruffle-bedecked Gothic Lolita or a 40-something administrative assistant at his desk wearing a Polo shirt and listening to a Cure/Bauhaus/Siouxsie and the Banshees mix on Spotify. What unites them is an appreciation of another kind of beauty - and it's often met with some hostility.

While World Goth Day is being celebrated globally with awards, events, music and general online revelry, the organizers are also using the day to educate the general public about acceptance and compassion for cultures outside the mainstream.

In 2007, Sophie Lancaster and her boyfriend, Robert Maltby, were walking through a park in Lancashire, England, when they were attacked by a group of five teenagers. Maltby suffered lasting brain damage, and Lancaster died as a result of her injuries. A Lancashire Police detective characterized this as one of the most violent murders he'd ever come across, and according to testimony, it was all done for the sake of fun. Lancaster and Maltby were attacked because they were wearing Goth clothing.

The case raised awareness of the issue of tolerance and gave rise to the Sophie Lancaster Foundation, a charity that "challenge(s) the prejudice and intolerance towards people from alternative subcultures" and works to have the UK Hate Crime legislation extended to include people from “alternative subcultures” or “lifestyle and dress,” but its work is far from over. In February, a 32-year-old expat Texas mother was badly beaten by a group of Edinburgh, Scotland, teenagers who wished to punish her for her "Goth" appearance (she says she's not part of the subculture).

Goths and emos suffered a wave of brutal attacks in the streets of Mexico throughout 2008, and in 2009, Goth-attired bride Lucy Emmingham spent her wedding night in the hospital after three men beat her in the street because of her appearance. In 2011, 22-year-old Melody McDermott suffered a broken eye socket after being punched in the face on a Manchester train platform, reportedly as a result of her Goth attire.

But despite the prejudice and potential for deadly dislike, on May 22, Goths are coming out of the shadows and demanding respect. As the founders of World Goth Day proclaim on their website, "There are quite a few Goths who have fought damn hard to retain their identity despite peer pressure, family pressure and indeed, any pressure to conform.

"And if you've gone to all that trouble to preserve what you believe is the 'real you', don't you think you owe it to yourself to shine for a day?"

Have a favorite Goth song, film, website or work of art? Please share it with the rest of the class in the comments below.

Previously: Where my Goths at? and How the Cure saved my life

1. sadiamusiclv

You are welcome to my music site. And enjoy Gothic Metal music http://musiclv.com/song-by-filter?genre=78

July 20, 2013 at 1:20 am |
  2. 厦门钰盛工贸有限公司,位于福建厦门市集美区厦门集美区东安村四埭尾5号,这里有相框,树脂相框,相册,画框,框画框的供应批发信息,厦门钰盛工贸有限公司致力于相框,树脂相框,相

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the web the easiest factor to consider of. I say to you, I definitely get irked whilst folks think about worries that they just do not recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thank you

May 26, 2013 at 5:22 am |
  3. Ucod

Oh look, what a surprise. Hate towards Goths and our subculture.
    Well, who cares. Its World Goth Day. Today, we tell them all to talk to the hand, for all that we may care. Today isn't a day for arguing one case or another. Its a day to celebrate yourself and your culture. I suppose we can only expect to see friction when stories about it go public in this manner, and all there is left to do is crank up the volume and drown them out with some Siouxie, or some Combichrist, or some Moonspell, or whatever else you may listen to. Keep it Goth.

May 22, 2013 at 10:00 am |
  4. Christine

Why does it have to be personal? Why not not just bcc N-many at a time We apeaicprte your application but we don't think you will be a better fit elsewhere . Efficient with the key acknowledgement that an engineer needs unless of course you feel specificity of skill-lack will make a difference in a impressionable engineer's life.BTW, typo on your signup page Once you purchase you first study .

September 12, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  5. Wrenn_NYC

Interesting.

First, we don't all dress alike, there are many variations, and that is evolving. From the black eyeliner/black hair/white as possible foundation etc, in the victorian frock coat and top hat, to the Lolita frills, to the doc martins, chains, studs and tattoos of the industrial variant. We also don't always dress 'goth' all the time.

Second... losers? You want to stereotype goths as losers, jobless, parasites on the economy... So as to better look down on them and relegate them to a 'nothing' in your definition of your world. I hate to break it to you, I've done the equivalent of 'goth secret handshake' with all 'levels' of education of society and in the workforce.

And my 'credentials' – more than a nodding acquantance with both the 'godfathers' of goth, (and a friendship with P.M.s usual guitarist) and I also garner big smiles and enthusiastic hugs from W. Hussey whenever he sees me show up (oh, and a 5 minute interview on the Mission's 2008 DVD release).

And I probably have more education, and make more than half of the people calling goths losers here.

It's the functional equivalent of being a 'hard rocker' or a 'redneck' or a 'preppie' or yuppie.... Just another 'tribe'. Get over it.

May 24, 2012 at 8:52 am |
    • godfather from 2008?

I know that real goths started a long time before y2k. Maybe as far back as alice cooper in the 70's? I was in highschool in the early 90s and had goth friends (way before the whole trench coat mafia became vernacular). Even When twiggy was still in NIN before manson lol. Any who, I dont know who you are attempting to name drop, but all these youngins are emotional at best (emo w/e you call it lol).

May 25, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • Maggie

Ever heard of Corporate Goth, or CorpGoth? We, your Elder Goths, are doing just fine in corporate america, thanks. We are doctors and lawyers and scientists. Middle managment and computer geeks and moms and independent business people. We are teachers and counselors and nurses, too. Sometimes, we keep the goth clothing and makeup toned down so as not to scare the Mundanes, and some places are ok with our ink and our eyeliner in the workplace. It's all about balance. Many many of the marching morons on this comment section who have so many idiotic prejudgments ("You all look alike! You're all depressed all the time! You glorify death!" etc.) probably work with someone who falls into the Goth subculture, but they will never know it. They think they work with some eccentric lady in her 40's named Maggie, who makes awesome BBQ for the potlucks and has a couple of little witch dolls on her desk. Nice lady, that Maggie, keeps to herself...

May 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  6. wisdomVS

I don't know much about Goth, other than it has a style and culture of it's own. I have no problem with it and loved the movie, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. However, the religious right wing will probably come after you when they are finished bashing gay people.

May 24, 2012 at 8:19 am |
    • lol

Don't forget the religious left wing. Those Catholics and their voodoo will 'put a spell on you'!

May 25, 2012 at 12:47 am |
  7. Chuck

What? Are we making stuff up now?

May 24, 2012 at 8:17 am |
  8. WWRRD

A bunch of depressed kids out there glamorizing death. They grow up to be maladjusted adults. This is a depressing sub-culture that turns depression into a hobby.

I've heard them say it's all about being non-conformist. If that is true, why do they all nonconform the same way. Isn't that just conforming to a different standard?

Goofballs. That being said, no one should get beat up over black clothes, death music, and eyeliner,

May 24, 2012 at 8:15 am |
    • BlondeRedhead

Wow... I guess ignorance is bliss, right? Everyone has a right do be who they want to be. Being Goth has nothing to do with depression. It's a culture, a way of life. If you don't understand it, just accept it. Not everyone wears turtlenecks and listens to John Denver.

May 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
  9. Floyd Schrodinger

I've been dressing Goth for decades and ,yes, I have criticized the young men with their pants belted around their knees, but I never beat them up for it. What about the shaved head military wannabees who dress in full cammo? Or women in veils or men in weird turban hats or ... I think all these things are called prejudice. We're all different. It doesn't effect anyone in any way. You don't have to like it but you do have to accept it. That’s called being human.

May 24, 2012 at 7:36 am |
  10. Christopher Nihil

Proud to wear black and listen to my Dead Can Dance, Christian Death and 45 Grave CDs.....

May 24, 2012 at 7:33 am |
  11. Karen Ross

Beating up someone because they look or act different is just ignorant and sad.

May 24, 2012 at 1:04 am |
  12. Rick

Proud to be a redneck, hip-hop, Daywalker dressed up like The Crow.

May 23, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Fritz Hohenheim

Proud to have accomplished nothing in your life?

May 24, 2012 at 1:17 am |
      • N. Fegan

Fritz, are you proud to show how ignorant you are?

May 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Tedy

Valori Wilson April 20, 2011 How sad to be so vulgar Brandon. First of all, these aminals have lived with more luxury than 2/3 of the worlds population. They have been loved and respected, warmed on cold nights and given clean healthy food and water. The sad truth is how many children are not given such amazing lives. We give reverence to our aminals, cry when they are hurt and grateful to them for what they provide us: FOOD!!! The irony to living a vegan life was so cruelty evident to me this morning. My son failed to give water to our chicks. They did what was natural to them, they cannibalized the weakling, drinking its blood and eating it's flesh this is how nature works. Unlike this rabbit, my chick died a slow, painful death, do you think that is better? Nature is cruel humans have the capacity to empathize and love. I am sorry if the photos were shocking to you. Perhaps a visit to a feed lot and slaughter house would help you understand the level of animal respect behind the Urban Farm movement. Now, apologize to everyone, wash your mouth out with soap and behave yourself we forgive you your tirade.

November 16, 2012 at 2:39 am |
  13. Tiffany

My 12 year olds favorite goth song is "Leave me Alone" by the Cruxshadows. Mine? Maybe "My Little Shirtwaist Fire" by Rasputina. At least its the one I sing the most in my head when I'm sad. My daughter has also devoted a whole day to memorizing "the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" while I love singing along to old Tom Lehrer songs. Her 14 hole Doc Martins have the same sole as my mary janes and we go to midnight movies together. When she was little she had the biggest collection of CareBears and Disney Princess movies. I'm glad she chose to like the same things as her mom.

May 23, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  14. TaraJ

@Katie Flower That was perfect!

May 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  15. Retarded Horse song.

That's Gay, yo.

May 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • wisdomVS

Retarded Horse is a good name for you... it reflects your lack of understanding. Goth has nothing to do with gay but it's possible that a gay person could also be goth. Now... go back to your hate mongering little church in the South and pray that you don't turn Goth.

May 24, 2012 at 8:16 am |
  16. Kevin

You don't see that kind of thing happening in America because a lot of the Goths here exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.

May 23, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  17. Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

Goth Girls are the girls that go
    To see the nerdcore rapper with the geeked out flow
    At the show, you can see the black lace on parade
    I met a hundred dozen of 'em
    But I ain't got laid
    – MC FrontAlot

May 23, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  18. Katie Flower

Hey you! Yeah, you, making all the snide remarks and rude comments! You're completely missing the point of this article, and the whole day to boot. As a goth, all I want to tell you is that goths are people, just like you (GASP!). We come in different shapes in sizes, different genders, and like any other subculture or even culture, we have jerks among us, but by far and large, we are kind and accepting people. This comes from the fact that we know what it's like to be judged based on appearances, what it's like to have broad generalizations made about us.
    There's nothing wrong with enjoying an aesthetic different than what is considered the 'norm'. Your kids think they're goth? If this worries you, let me say- for many people goth is a stage in their life. Sometimes teenagers wear subcultures like clothing in an effort to try and figure out who they are. This is a normal part of growth and development. What's that? Goth is the subculture your child is identifying with, and you think it might be permanent? Congratulations! Your child will find them self among peers that respect and foster creativity, and who will never bat an eye at how they (or anyone else) looks. Goths are like a family- they take care of each other and they make an amazing support system.
    It's possible to be successful in life AND a goth. The two often coincide more than many people think. I'm in my early twenties, am a college graduate (with full scholarship), have a great full time job, a steady boyfriend (marriage is on the horizon), a wonderful relationship with my parents, and I volunteer in my community.I am also a goth. I have a friend who is a mother of two children (well, one's a teen), and married. The couple owns their home, and the wife is a volunteer tutor for her daughter's school. She has a deathhawk and is organizaing a deathrock weekend. They are both goths.
    Before you make another rude comment, consider this- what this is all about is dispelling negativity directed at subcultures. You are missing the point. Additionally, we have heard it all before. No ugly remark, no quippy rejoinder you say will be unique.You're talking to people who have spent a lifetime being ridiculed, and in person at that. Most people will sigh, shake their head, and scroll right on down.

May 23, 2012 at 8:32 am |
    • Sun

You telll 'em Katie!

May 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • Krandal

Send us a naked picture of yourself and we'll be the judge of your shape and size. Thanks.

May 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • Mike

Although I am not goth I do have friends that are...and I agree 100% with this post. Great post katie!

May 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • Matt

I'm not a goth, but I absolutely love them. I'm more of a deadhead and nature lover type. But I had goth friends in high school, and they were the kindest, most sane, loving people in high school along with the deadheads. I'm much older now, don't know any goths, but I miss them. Goths have courage. It takes courage to be one, because they are outside the mainstream. Goons and other bullies sometimes see a threat to their rank in their social hierarchy by the courage of the goths. Goons only respect brute force. Pardon my use of stereotypes, I'm still working on explaining things in a better way than using stereotypes.

May 24, 2012 at 4:40 am |
    • Chuck

Goth is something made up. There are i roots for this there is no meaning. Y'all just dress up like vampires and pretend that somehow you are more enlightened than the average person. In fact playing dead is a waste of time. A true Goth is a dead Goth.

May 24, 2012 at 8:20 am |
    • You had me until The second sentence

Are you suggesting that non-goths are not creative? I always find it amusing that you Goths think that you are individualistic and yet you all dress the same, listen to the same bad music and paint skeletons with watercolors.

May 24, 2012 at 9:32 am |
  19. Jessie

Ok... These discussions are ridiculous. I used to go to goth clubs and it was really fun. I loved the style of dress and the music. Goth day makes me very happy!

It is just like any other group that people are a part of. There are people with a similar style that hang out together. It is similar to jocks, preps, emo kids, punk rockers. Fashionista's.

Please people get a grip. Some people like to dress in dark colors some don't...

May 23, 2012 at 5:02 am |
  20. Mad Cow

"The pain; the pain....... ", Dr. Zachary Smith, Godfather of Goth, – Lost in Space

May 23, 2012 at 3:58 am |
  21. Jenn

In underground Goth America, my Souxie and the Banshees t-shirt judges YOU.

May 23, 2012 at 3:37 am |
  22. Steve Franklin

Goth people I have found unaccepting of my good nature.i find that small minded and sad.

May 23, 2012 at 1:14 am |
  23. applebee

Goth kids claim individuality when they all try to dress and act the same. Goths are as unique as bees in a hive.

SIde note: Its so depressing that a group of thuggish kids would attack a helpless couple

May 23, 2012 at 12:55 am |
    • smalltownkafka

It's nice that people getting beat up is a side note to your critique. Bear in mind, your choice of what is a side note and what is worth saying first puts you on the side of the soul-less punks who do the beating.

May 23, 2012 at 2:32 am |
  24. Julie S. Anaheim, CA

Betty Crocker Death Rockers; Punks; Go back far enough, everyone stems from the Beatnicks of the 1950s! Be free, to be whomever you want to be.

After all – if we were all Clones, life would be boring. Just imagine that – wait, kind of had that in Edward Scissorhands, with the neighborhoods, lol.

May 23, 2012 at 12:36 am |
  25. Gothgirl76

Okay to touch base on some of the comments made here... First Happy Goth Day!!! Second, just because someone dresses differently than you or likes things that you do not does NOT make them, immature, attention obsessed, an idiot, a poser, or any other negative connotation made... It's means they are comfortable with being themselves and don't feel the need to conform to accepts social and demographic norms. They can be well educated, caring, successful, productive, creative and well rounded individuals in society. I happen to be an example of that. I was Goth before it was a fad or even well known in my area input up with lots of hatred, bullying, torment... But I was for the first time comfortable in my own skin. I have a college education, have ran several businesses, was an A student, a published writers and an artist.. And a loving and nurturing mother and wife. When will people quit breeding hatred and judgement of others? It's sad that we cannot accept all people! Blessed be to all that keep an open mind and an open heart,

May 22, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • sas

Most goths are cerebral narcissists. Not to mention that most of them feel like they are individual but they still belong to a group of non-conformists which makes them, guess what: CONFORMIST. And the majority of them come from broken homes. Here's another thing: If goths are as free and independent in thinking, what is this obsession with appearance? Why do they have the NEED to proclaim to the world how different and unique they are? To me, I have always felt like one of the biggest non-conformist out there and never identified with ANY particular group. And I certainly never felt so inclined to alter my appearance just to prove how unique and special I am. The bottom line is, most Goths, are emotionally stunted and stuck in their childhood because they cannot heal or let go of the pain they suffered in their youth. I have only this to say to a person who claims to be a goth: "Grow up. Get over your self absorption and try thinking about the world without seeing it through yourself first. If you had the strength to do this, you would be a TRUE non-conformist who would one day be laughing at how emotionally stunted you once were."

May 23, 2012 at 1:56 am |
      • gimli

I think "goths" consider the very thing you mentioned about the nature of conformity. People are more self-aware than you wrote. But why does anyone wear anything? Why do nudists live in nudist communities? Why do metal heads wear metal t-shirts? I find a change in wardrobe refreshing. Cookie cutter people are not so refreshing.

May 23, 2012 at 10:46 am |
      • Blah Blah Blaf

If half the marriages in the US end in divorce, a lot of kids come from broken homes. Not just goths.

May 24, 2012 at 8:39 am |
    • JuneCleaversBeaver

Goth= Hey look at me I am different (as I am dressed like everyone else around me trying to project a cool image). giggle......................

May 23, 2012 at 6:54 am |
    • JuneCleaversBeaver

"Have ran several businesses".....For an A student you must not have ever had to take an English course.

May 23, 2012 at 6:56 am |
      • Mike

meh. whatevs

May 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
      • Gony

seriously looking for a femlae for friend would like to create a new friend a lady... i have extremely litt goth dating sites Rainier WA le friends and hopeing that a femlae want to be my pal. goth dating sites Elba Nebraska NE US United States, Coy Arkansas AR US United States, Douglas Nebraska NE US United States, Albany Oklahoma, Rainier WA, Plainview New York NY US United States, Manassa Colorado CO, Foothill Ranch California CA Manassa Colorado CO

September 14, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  26. Fiend

I don't understand why people in general have to hate on anyone at all. We are all individuals. If you prefer to wear a certain style of dress or listen to a certain style of music, then so be it.
    I believe there is no hate untouched by love. These people who attack others based on dress just shows my point. It's an obsession. Lets just let the Goths be Goths and the Nots be Nots.
    If you don't like it, prepare to answer to people who are of wisdom's roots & your God after your life has come to a close. The more you know, the less you know.

May 22, 2012 at 11:18 pm |
  27. Larry

Goth isn't my thing, but I see no reason people should beat someone up simply for what they are wearing.
    If you want to fight, go find a fight club and have at it. Don't go making up lame excuses to attack people.

May 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • basketcase

They didn't want a fight, they just wanted to beat someone up. There's a big difference.

May 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
  28. The Flamingo Kid

Really Julzrael??

"What a bully mentality. SURPRISE!!! *NOT* You need to check yourself . Who needs to make themselves feel BIG by belittling others? Who is nothing? HAahah!~ Ahhhh. What a sad joke you seem to be."

"wanting out of life because of the stupidity of so many people in it." Yeah, calling wanting out of life because so many people are so stupid is not having a superiority complex? You are such a hypocrite. Talk about belittling others.

I know many artists, poets and writers and they are most certainly NOT dweeby little goth heads who think they are so much better than the rest of the world dressing in their vampire outfits and chains – all looking alike. POSER!

May 22, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Dave

And this is why I got into rave about the same time that goth started coming into vogue....

May 22, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  30. OrionStyles

SouthPark, season 12, episode 14 "The ungroundable"

If you want your answer to what goth is, that episode really helps.

May 22, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  31. eddy chorizo

Why is it most goth chicks are fat? not just fat but morbidly obese? My sister in was was the exception. She was goth since she was 15 and finally after 13-14yr, realized the goths are more concerned what is a REAL goth as opposed to a *fake* goth.

She lost a lotta freinds and job oppertunities looking and hangin around with and lookinbg like a idiot but now she dresses extremely fashionable and into vuitton and prada and gypsy o5 and has more freinds than ever and a nice job. She slim and beaitful and near genius but I wonder how much she could of achieved if she gave up the nonsense once she turned 21.

May 22, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • Lillian

...So, what you're saying is, after your sister lost a lot of "fake" friends for being who she was, and after she stopped being who she really was and became fake, she gained a lot of friends? What's the lesson here – be false to yourself and fake and you'll have fake friends? Personally, I think I'd rather be lonely than be surrounded by people who appreciated me only because I dressed and looked a certain way.

May 23, 2012 at 1:09 am |
    • smalltownkafka

Wow, Eddy, all I can say is you miss the point here by so much here, I can't imagine you get it much elsewhere . But I'm sure your sister is sooo happy she's finally gotten your approval and wishes she could wipe out that period of which you so disapprove. And those "fat chicks" must cry every night knowing they don't have that same approval.

May 23, 2012 at 2:36 am |
  32. DD

Hurray for World Goth Day!!!!

May 22, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  33. Grindstone

The attacks listed in the article sound more like manhood-challenged males beating up on women, regardless of their 'subculture'. Makes me sick. I'd wager none of those boys would take on a real man one-on-one.

May 22, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • julzrael

Sick 'em Tiger!

May 22, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
  34. Keith

my daughter thinks she is goth, she is just an idiot but I guess that is okay

May 22, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
    • Suzanne

It is okay for her to think she's goth. What's more troubling is that her father thinks she's an idiot.

May 22, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
      • julzrael

So true, Suzanne. Name-calling is so very not-idiotic! LOL

May 22, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
      • Keith

No, it isn't troubling at all. Look around you, I am sure you know some idiots, well they all have Dad's and some of the Dad's know the truth.

May 22, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • ryg1334!

If she is a goth than find out more about before you judge her!You really need a listen on goth i been a goth for 15 years a goth dj and got to see goth from east coast to the west coast!Do not judge people that how people get hurt and trouble starts!My parents under stand stand goth because i showed tem put goth music on when they came over.Support her do not call her names!

May 22, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
      • Gothgirl76

Bless you parents for allowing you to be yourself! My mom was open minded as well! All people, especially parents need to quit judging and calling others names because of how they look and the lifestyles they lead! It doesn't make you a bad person or change what is in your heart! My daughter isn't Goth as I am but she has peircings tats and pink hair and is more of a scene kid, and that may greatly differ from me but she is a wonderful girl and a completely happy person and isn't that what we should want for our children.

May 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Lillian

You're a horrible father. I'm glad my parents weren't like you. They remembered that they, too, were once teenagers and young adults trying to find themselves, and allowed me to be who I was without ridicule. I hope your daughter's mother has more sense than you and doesn't call her names for looking the way she wants to look.

May 23, 2012 at 1:11 am |
      • Keith

If she just looked Goth I wouln't care. The other life mistakes she makes over and over is what convinced me she was an idiot. I bailed her out until I was broke, now she is really on her own and she is still in trouble all the time.

I do know the difference between a life style and a screw up.

May 23, 2012 at 8:59 am |
  35. Tina J.

I think goth is beautiful and I've never been goth a day in my life. I love the theatricality of it all. I think the Victorian style goth is really interesting. My favorite goth song is probably a bit overused but then again I am 41. I love "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by Bauhaus.

May 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
  36. julzrael

When I was younger, I listened to all kinds of alternative music, including the Goth standards. But Goth then was inadvertently about depression, about wanting out of life because of the stupidity of so many people in it. Goths felt like Frankenstein's monster driven to the tower by the torch-wielding masses, because they were dark, because they thought very differently from the mainstream. Surprise! The masses bully! The masses harm what they don't understand! It's been happening for a long time, this kind of intolerable lashing out of the mentally common toward the mentally uncommon. We see it in society daily. When will violence stop? When understanding begins. But I digress. We were the artists, the writers and the poets. I loved Edgar Allan Poe, the Romantic Poets, and yes, I had a morbid obsession with darkness. I love my fellow Goths. Go Goths GO!!! LOL Stay strong and stay thinking! It isn't just about the fangs or the hair dye, or how many tattoos you have. It is about THINKING for YOURSELF. Make it about more than appearance, and make your Goth Elders proud. Blessed Be.

May 22, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • The Flamingo Kid

What a total load of BS! I guess you are a goth 40-something who never grew up. Oh you are all just so different and misunderstood. PATHETIC! By the way, you are not the poets, writers and artists. You are the poet, writer and artist wannabes. You are all generic and the same. NONE of you think for yourself. You are all just part of one big dysfunctional club of conformers.

May 22, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
      • Stopthemadness

You are a tool. I am a dark Gothic type figure who raises happy sunshine kids. My two oldest are college students one studying fine arts the other is in nurses assistant classes. They are both great students and they got their creativity from me. I own two radio stations one in the u.s. and one in England. I do a show for the one here as the D.J. Name Vamp, I have 5 kids and am married to their mother to this day I am 40 somethingish also. So while you tell people Goths are wanna be's I tell you I am living proof you are a troll and liar.

May 22, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
      • julzrael

*Yawn* Exactly what I expect someone with your tag, telling me to grow up LOL "the flamingo kid" ! Oh, the irony! You sound like a J E R K. Riiiight, I don't think for myself, and I am not anything. How would *you* know? Who are *you*? Do you know me? What a bully mentality. SURPRISE!!! *NOT* You need to check yourself . Who needs to make themselves feel BIG by belittling others? Who is nothing? HAahah!~ Ahhhh. What a sad joke you seem to be.

May 22, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
      • smalltownkafka

Ah, look, someone inadequate who so wants to be SOMEONE he's trying the sad soul-less approach of looking good at someone else's expense - generalizing and then discarding. Pretty standard for the shallow and stunted end of the pool.

May 23, 2012 at 2:40 am |
    • THE LIGHT

"Frankenstein's monster" LOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
      • julzrael

Right?! I said I was dark!

May 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
  37. puckles

When will these people EVER grow up?! Newsflash to all Goths: You are JUST LIKE the cheerleaders, jocks, burn-outs and preps. You ALL LOOK THE SAME! Grow up and stop trying to seek negative attention!

May 22, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • smalltownkafka

So, since you have the same animosity toward Goths that the spineless thugs had, and you chose to show that animosity rather than criticize the spineless, you must approve of the beatings, even dying later from injuries. Sure doesn't seem to bother you.

May 23, 2012 at 2:42 am |
    • Larry

If someone is really goth their not looking for negative attention they just find things that are morbid dark or just unique to a lot of people fascinating. If you think they look just like everyone else then they arent goth or you have never seen anyone that is. They dont need to grow up you and others who cant accept them the way they are need to, besides sound like you really must feel left out if youre so obsessed with putting everyone into little groups. There are posers in every group the largest number of which are people who act and dress "normal" just because thats what theyre expected do despite that not being what truly interests them. Besides how unbelievably boring or obnoxious would everyone be if we were all "normal".

May 24, 2012 at 1:10 am |
  38. Nophah Kingweigh

So how is the behavior of these subhumans (not the Goths; the inbred morons who kill them for fun. Can't believe I have to spell that out for the mouth breathers on CNN) in Manchester any different from the religious whackos around the world whom we call terrorists?

And what is it about you low life punks in the UK? "OOOOyyyyy, I'm SOO disaffected, let's go drink until we boot, and then kill some strangers". It's no wonder Europe is falling apart; how's that Euro thing workin' out for ya?

Our "gangstas" in the US of Halliburton are pu$$ies when it comes to dishing out violence for the sake of stupidity. God save the Queen.

May 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  39. Bazoing

I am saddened that these terrible things happened. However, I am glad two of them were in Britain; I am so tired of hearing how violent and intolerant Americans are. Nasty people occur in similar numbers everywhere. Good luck goths. I think you are great!

May 22, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  40. heydeedoo

An acknowledgement of the nature of death is one thing, an obsession is another.

May 22, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
  41. Daissyyy

The thing that bothers me is not the way Goths dress, but what alot of them do to themselves. Most Goths in my school cut themselves. They have scars all the way up their arms. It just really gets to me that some people can really harm their body over and over. I am not saying all Goths do this, but I am saying the majority at my school do. It is a problem

May 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • nilla

They should be more like the other kids and get drunk every weekend. THAT'S how to take care of yourself.

May 22, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
      • Daissyyy

exactly.

May 22, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Mabh

Daissyyy, most times people who cut themselves have a condition called Borderline Personality Disorder. Dressing as a Goth is not necessarily related to it, but people with the disorder can be drawn to the lifestyle.

May 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
  42. The Master

a WASTE OT 20 SECONDS OR MY LIFE!

May 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • Aletheya

You're the one who wasted it. And then you publicly whined about wasting your own time. Get a grip.

May 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
      • The Master

I just wasted another 5 on you sorry f__king a$$

May 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
      • Aletheya

lol – I guess we can add "dumb" and "vulgar" to "whiner", eh? If you don't like wasting your time, quit doing it, genius.

May 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
      • The Master is slightly retartded

feelsgoodman.jpg

May 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
      • Jim

No, he did waste his time. If you see a headline and start reading, then a variety of reasons will often make you complete that article. If he didn't finish reading, then people like you would have said "Well, you didn't finish reading the article, how can you make a judgement?" If he did finish it, then makes a comment, the people like you show your own hate and intolerance. Get a grip, hon.

May 22, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  43. Biggs

Goth kids just need a hug.

May 22, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Biggs

Let me clarify, not from me. I don't want makeup on my shirt.

May 22, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  44. Cherries

(oh my sides hurt) I could not get past "Everyday is Halloween" sentence. LOL!!

May 22, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0r2xpGT4fQ&w=640&h=390]

May 22, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
      • J3sus Sandals

Sorry Kat...you got it before I posted.

May 22, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
      • gothage

Kat the first paragraph totally gave you away as an old school scenester. Totally got the every day is holloween bit. Nice!

May 22, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
      • Akira

That reminds me, I should pick up Ministry's Early Trax.

May 22, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
      • Cabazon30

44 and now I find out I'm a goth – Siouxsie! Ministry! SoM! Cure! Playlist from my life.

May 23, 2012 at 12:23 am |
    • J3sus Sandals

A reference to a not so great early Ministry track.

May 22, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
  45. Henrietta

Life is so dark.
    The sky is blue but it is void of color on the other side.
    Dirt is dark and made of all kinds of decaying matter yet it produces life.
    You are so bright, you need my darkness to shine.

Have a miserable life, you Brittny Spears Wannabe!

May 22, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • You had me until The second sentence

Ya know.. not all dirt is dark.. some dirt is orange, red or even white...

and since when is darkness bad? Are you a racist? You've been reading Webster's dictionary too much! (Malcom X reference).

May 24, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  46. M.E.

I pulled on my Siouxsie shirt this morning just because it happened to be clean, funny that it turns out to be world goth day!

May 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
  47. PDX

LOL I'm that guy who looks nothing like a goth listening to Siouxsie and all the good old goth music at work and on the commuter train. Everyone probably thinks I am listening to Metallica. NOPE. Old goth here modernized for success but never forgotten the roots.

May 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • Kristian

word.

May 22, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
  48. Strange Daze

It's so horrible to think that people are inclined to violence at the slightest indication of someone different. I feel hopeful though, as the years have gone by, at the growing tolerance I see among people where I live. My sister can dress as she pleases without worrying about being beaten or ridiculed, whereas that was not so much the case when I was growing up, and it's sad to see the behavior is still around. Sophie's case in particular is heartbreaking. She gave her life, trying to save her boyfriend, which makes her so much more of a human being than those animals could ever hope to be. Rest in peace Sophie.

May 22, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • gimli

@strange: well said.

May 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  49. ThePursuit

Pete Steele, another dead hero.

These message boards are thick with hateful, useless, intolerant posts.
    Go find a story about something you enjoy, and post there.

Goth girls are H O T, and its easy to dance with heavy dark rock in your pocket.

May 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
  50. gimli

The Victorian clothing is beautiful and ironic, particularly on a subway.

May 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
  51. Jerry

Sweet Happy World Goth Day

May 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
  52. Johnny Orlando

I live in Florida, the goth freaks here wear all black and heavy clothing all year. Morons.

May 22, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • James

I bet they smell real nice.

May 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • nilla

I bet I can find fault with what you wear.

May 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • Lillian

I also live in Florida. In Orlando. The goth subculture there do NOT wear heavy black clothing year round – in fact, the only time they really dress up is to go out to I-Bar or Venue 13. But then, if you really actually knew anything about the culture, you'd know that. Some of the most beautiful girls in Orlando are gothic and are dancing their hearts out on Friday nights.

May 23, 2012 at 1:17 am |
    • belladonna

Sorry, m'dear. but we'd roast if we wore heavy black clothing all year in Orlando. There's more to Goth than black eyeliner and dark clothing. One can be Goth and wear white quite well, especially here. And I'd recommend a nice hat against the Florida sun.

May 24, 2012 at 9:41 am |
      • Juli

Lillian Posted on I like using the swear words that make me uncomfortable in bed. Now I've got my prneatr swearing up a storm too. LOL. He pretty much never, ever swears outside of this context, so it comes off as extra-filthy. *smit*

September 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
      • Charlie

Paolo, voy a citar esa frase, muy buena.Juan, este post este1 bueno y el que citaste medo tambie9n! lo usare9 sneeramugte en un futuro Abrazo,

September 14, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
  53. Elijah of Revelation

"the dark side" of goth...the light side is, of course, called EMO

May 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
  54. gothpro

Goth day... wohooo! Whoops, I mean who cares – life is empty and everything material is based on a society that understands nothing of pain and misery...
    :^) Hope you goths celebrate and have a great time!

May 22, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • gimli

Or life is richer and fuller because of the knowledge of limited time – a gift.

May 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
  55. FedupwithU

Where is a d-bag that complains about the special rights of people who don't weant to get beat up? Oh yeah, here you are.

May 22, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
  56. puckles

When will these people EVER GROW UP!!!!! The only reason any of them do this is a. for attention and b. because they think t hey are being "different." Well I hate to tell all yoy Goths you are just like the cheerleaders, the preps, the stoners and the jocks. You ALL look like each other and are no different than anyone else (except maybe a but scarier).

May 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • ohranch

kinda like white people
      they never grow up, they only want things their way
      and god forbid you should have an opinion or a sense of style other than theirs

puckles – you sound like you belong, you sound very normal
      Exactly what they want you to be – congratulations

You're quickly on your way to becoming a typical american
      You should run for political office – you have the knack for it

May 22, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
      • WOW

Leave it to someone to pull the race card in a pathetic attempt to make themselves seem somewhat educated. Let me dumb that down for you. Your just as much of a racist as you claim white people are. Its 2012, we have a black president. How ignorant can you be? Whoops, didnt mean to offend you......

May 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
      • corwtn

Puckles will make a good and proper stereotype politician.

I'm sure it bothers the sheeple that there are folks out there that don't toe the line, don't dress as they do, and think for themselves. If that bothers you, I've done my job.

May 22, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • drito

I'm guessing you're a special snowflake who's 100% original. Yeah right, please get off your high-horse. People enjoy inclusion, and social cliques provide that.

May 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
      • Deej

Even in diversity we all have similarities. Let people be who they are when it hurts no one else. Drito is right, people like to get on a high horse when someone is a bit different than they and somehow gain self esteem from slamming other people. I do not understand the hate of anything that is slightly different, I think it makes the world go round! Life is less boring when we get to experience diversity!

May 22, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • rasko41

WADR it sounds like you enjoy telling them this, not like you hate it.

May 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • Aletheya

Take a look in the mirror. You look just like all the other rednecks. Oops, how did that happen?

May 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm |