Saying goodbye to 'Chuck'
January 27th, 2012

Saying goodbye to 'Chuck'

"It was the [first time] I felt that being geek wasn't bad, and I should feel proud about that."

Catia Felix from Lisbon, Portugal tweeted that earlier this week, about the TV series "Chuck." She is one of many fans who have strong feelings about the NBC show, which makes its final bow on Friday night after five seasons.

Those five seasons – about a "Nerd Herder" who becomes a spy, and gets the girl – would not be possible if not for its legion of devoted fans (quite a few of them we spoke to worried that they might get too emotional talking about the show, and they're not alone).

When it looked as though NBC would not renew the show in 2009, Wendy Farrington of Pennsburg, Pennsylvania had an idea for what she could do to save it. She thought like the network instead of a fan.

"This crazy little idea came into my head to visit Subway [a major sponsor] on the day of the second season finale," she said. "It popped into my head and I scribbled the words 'finale' and 'Footlong.'"

That led to Farrington, practically on a whim, attending her first convention in London, and meeting star Zachary Levi himself. He was so inspired by meeting her that he took an entire "Chuck" panel on a field trip to a nearby Subway: "He put toppings on every single fan sandwich, he sat there for two hours!"

Farrington, who worked on Levi's Nerd HQ back in July, plans a big finale party at New York's NBC Experience Store, coinciding with the end of a charity memorabilia auction.

Fellow fan Gray Jones, who has hosted a "Chuck" podcast for several years, explained one reason why the show inspired such passion, that fans would occasionally go to extreme measures to save it.

"One thing that made 'Chuck' different is that the cast and crew opened their arms to the 'Chuck' fans," Jones said, citing the 120 interviews he has done with them alone.

As co-creator Chris Fedak put it recently to reporters, "I think [it] spoke to people. I think it’s about every man who steps up to the plate and decide to be a hero. But he still remained a good guy, the Chuck Bartowski that people feel in love with in season one."

"It was just the little train that could," Jones said. "Every year, it was entirely likely that it could have been canceled, and the Subway campaign – the way that 'Chuck' fans reached out to advertisers, was very effective."

Both Jones and Farrington said they wanted a finale with emotional closure for the characters.

Members of the cast couldn't thank fans enough for their efforts, and spoke about what it was like to wrap up the series, and what they took with them.

Zachary Levi ("Chuck Bartowski"): "The realization that there's no more 'Buy More,' no more Chuck and Morgan, no more Chuck and Casey, no more Chuck and Sarah. That's heady stuff. It really hit you like a ton of bricks towards the end. I spent more time with that cast and crew than my own friends and family. The last episode, in particular, was incredibly charged with emotion and reflection. I feel like we were able to offer the fans a finale that was fitting of the rest of the series, something that homages a lot to the beginnings of 'Chuck' the show, and Chuck the character."

Adam Baldwin ("John Casey"): "There were a lot of tears shed [by cast and crew] over the last episode. Everyone got to say their goodbyes in character, and in real life. All in all, one of the best experiences of my working life. It was the longest I've worked on a show, and some of the nicest people I've ever worked with. It's something I'll remember."

Yvonne Strahovski ("Sarah Walker"): "The last month felt like one of the biggest emotional roller coasters of my life. It was like breaking up with someone who you've been with so many years. It was like, who will be in my life now? And how the hell do I say goodbye to Sarah Walker and everything she stands for in my life? I knew it would be emotional, I just didn't think it would be that emotional."

Vik Sahay ("Lester Patel"): "I really don't like coming out of character when I'm working, but this season it was almost impossible not to. Every time you did a scene, it was 'oh, this is the last time we're doing a scene here.' The whole season had that feeling of rawness coming. This was a big rite of passage for me. [The cast and crew] were my base and my foundation. As the years go on, I'll realize how critical that was."

Levi: "I took the 'Buy More' phone [home] – not the 'Vicki Vale' phone, but the red phone. I took the 'Last Starfighter' poster in Chuck's hallway. I took the tobacco Indian statue from Chuck and Sarah's apartment, which served no purpose in any episode, but I thought that would be cool to have, to place in my living room, and remind me of this five year journey."

Strahovski: "I took my spy watch and gave it to my dad. I took Sarah's evening spy watch, and gave it to my mom."

Sahay: "I took my 'Nerd Herd' outfit and a 'Buy More' sign."

Strahovski: "I will be eternally thankful to the fans of 'Chuck,' and thank them in every interview I do."

Baldwin: "I'd just like to express my sincere gratitude and love and appreciation for sticking with us for five years, and caring about our characters, and embracing Zachary Levi, Yvonne Strahovski, Joshua Gomez and everyone. I like to see nice guys finish first, and that's what this show 'Chuck' gave to these young actors."

Sahay: "Without sounding too grandiose or corny, is that you look back on your life, and you think about when this movie came out, and the summer you went to that concert. For myself, these will be the 'Chuck' years. And I hope for fans, these will be the 'Chuck' years for them too, in some small way."

Levi: "Thank you for believing in us from the beginning. Thank you for fighting for us since the beginning. As somebody who, ever since he was a kid, this is what he wanted to do, to know that people believe in you and care, and support what you do and want you to keep doing it, it's the greatest thing you can ever ask for. And we got that in spades from our fans."

Posted by
Filed under: Fandom
  1. Buy Neopoints

Definitely imagine that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be at the web the simplest factor to bear in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get irked whilst other folks think about worries that they just don't recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the entire thing with no need side effect , other people could take a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thank you

January 13, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
  2. Grin

I enjoyed the show and have purchased the DVD's to date. I have noticed that the DVD's seem to move fast off the shelves at our local Target – and they are NEVER on sale....you would think NBC would get a clue just from that! Chuck is going to be a badly missed Cult Classic, often imitated, but seldom with the same great balance of cast and writing. We will miss you!

February 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  3. Fred

This can't be happening. With all of the lame shows on TV they cancelled another one that I never watched. Judging from all of the comments, I'll bet it was a good show. But now, becuase of a desire by the network to generate ratings and revenue, they've gone and put a nail in Chuck's coffin. I'm sure this show will be missed and I'm guessing it was at least as good as other shows I don't watch. So now, I am left to question all that is holy for allowing this atrocity to occur. May God have mercy on NBC's corporate soul.

January 30, 2012 at 8:08 am |
    • Steve Dunn

...NBC's corporate what? ;^)

January 30, 2012 at 10:29 am |
  4. Lindsay Team Chuck!

I'm so damn sad that NBC decided to end the only show that I have ever liked. Ever. I have watched every episode. I am STILL crying. I don't understand why they couldn't give them the dignity to finish a full season. My brother and I made a point to sit down every Monday night and watch Chuck. I brought us together. We WILL me starting up chuck Monday TOMORROW starting off at season one episode one! Who's with me? LONG LIVE CHUCK AND SARAH!

January 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • Lindsay Team Chuck!

oops. *It's brought us together ... *we will be

January 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Libby

I don't understand why NBC said "Chuck" was to expensive to produce. The whole show could have been shot on the studio lot in front of a green screen. As the 3 major networks keep replacing smart, quality dramas and replacing them with stupid mindless reality shows with stupid, vapid, untrained entertainment professionals (ie actors), they will continue to lose market share as viewers leave in droves to the other cable networks.

January 29, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
      • Johnmar

Thanks for stopping by my blog – hey, I don't care if you've only got like 2 flroowels! That's influence! I'm off to follow you now...and welcome to this mom-blogging thing, before you know it you'll have tons of tweeps following you. (-:

July 1, 2012 at 8:15 am |
    • haydenlh

The first season was good, the second season was good but trending downward with this stupid upload in Chucks head that made him into a super spy...Really...It became stupid at that point and most of us moved onto a new show...Started out good just like NBC Life then because of lack of vision at the beginning morphed into something crazy.

January 29, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
  5. Tanya

I never really found great interest in Chuck. I think NBC can do more to improve its evening lineup. Tanya Monique Glascoe

January 29, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  6. 66Biker

I'm not saying goodbye to 'Chuck' since I never said hello to 'Chuck'. Actually, it's more like I can quit saying goodbye to 'Chuck'. Because I won't have to grab the remote and change channels when it comes on anymore...

January 28, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • Bob22

Most likely changed to wrestling to watch sweaty guys grab each other.

January 29, 2012 at 10:54 am |
  7. KC

I'll miss this incredibly sweet and funny show, and the cast that made me want to tune in week after week.

January 28, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  8. Steve Dunn

I thank the writers, actors and staff of this show for five fun years!
    I really liked the final episode, because it reminds us that this series was not so much about spies, or action adventure, but rather was a love story between an innocent nerd and an exotic secret agent. The love was off in seasons 1 and 2, and on in 3 and 4, and the final ten minutes was really the appropriate way to end – i.e., ambiguously.
    I'm sure the debate will continue among fans whether Chuck and Sarah "actually" got back together again or not, or even whether they *should* have done so. They were star-crossed lovers from the very first, after all, based on their respective choice of life styles, and family histories.
    Please do not consider a "reunion" episode – how can the story continue beyond the beach scene, after all? Same for a movie. I applaud the show having the courage to actually finalize the story line and not just leave the characters hanging; let's leave it at that!

January 28, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  9. Sikeli

Loved the series.

Hated the last 10 minutes of the last episode. Poorly written. Chuck and Sarah deserved more.

January 28, 2012 at 9:44 am |
    • Petew

They had a PERFECT setup for the memory regain.....After all, what was ALL the focus of the 'Bullet Train' episode....the little drawing Chuck drew over the picture of the house with the picket fence.....PERFECT setup for the beach scene...and they missed it.

TOO SAPPY, you ask? Come on, this is "Chuck" we are talking about....the king of sappy. It's about time they ended on a high note, after all the things that Chuck and Sarah went through near the end (but of course, if Chuck has the Intersect in his head, I'm SURE that the Government isn't going to let him go scott free...but that's for the mini-series episodes, (or even webisodes) that they may make in the future....but since he has the Intersect, he SHOULD know all about the KEY and how to build another for the glasses he still has...).

No, I don't obsess about the end of Chuck, just that I think it could have ended a little less like "The Sopranos"...

January 29, 2012 at 2:08 am |
      • Janie

I was really irritated that they didn't have her flash through their memories together like the images in the intersect. They had the perfect setup for that and it would have been awesome.

January 29, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  10. JHaas

I wish NBC had sent this show to one of their cable channels where writers enjoy much more creative freedom. It had a lot of charm but was bogged down by childishness that made it hard to watch for an unretarded grown up.

January 28, 2012 at 4:18 am |
  11. RichardSRussell

Thanks to NBC for giving the show adequate lead time so they could tie up all the loose ends and provide viewers with a satisfying ending.

I'm sure we could all name a different network (koff Fox koff) that just indifferently kills them off without warning.

January 28, 2012 at 2:12 am |
  12. Colin

this show was amazing, and i want to thank everyone involved with keeping it going! truly and inspiring show, and the cast and writers did an amazing job with it. the cast has gained a fan in whatever they do, and i look forward to watching them progress! good luck all!

January 28, 2012 at 2:01 am |
    • Colin

*an, sorry typo

January 28, 2012 at 2:02 am |
  13. Drew

I watched the show every season and I am still a big fan. This season I realized the network did not advertise the show that much. Will miss watching the adventure. Best of luck to cast and crew.

January 28, 2012 at 1:37 am |
  14. BlackCat

Lisbon, "Portugual?" A typo in the first sentence dissuaded me from reading the rest. I enjoyed Chuck and the end of the series is sad, although not as sad as the state of journalism today.

January 28, 2012 at 12:56 am |
    • sockpuppet

I'm saddened by the sheer effort it would take to remove the stick from your rear

January 28, 2012 at 1:27 am |
      • K

LOL all grammar nazis need to do that!

January 28, 2012 at 2:27 am |
      • Laurette

It's funny because both you and your famliy are crazy. Your famliy thinks you're going nuts out of nowhere and your famliy conveniently uses 9/11 to justify the ills and wrongs in their lives (just like most trashy American families).

November 16, 2012 at 1:05 am |
  15. Thomas

It all comes to an end. Saw the finally and was sad. Thanks to the cast of Chuck and best wishes.

January 28, 2012 at 12:49 am |
  16. shannon

I loved Chuck! Gonna miss you guys!! Hopefully it will be picked up on another network.

January 28, 2012 at 12:02 am |
  17. Jonathan

I do hate it when something this great is taken prematurely from us. We miss you all terribly! Best of luck to you Alec, Levi and Yvonne! We'll be looking out for you wonderful people!

January 27, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • Dan

Great show, sorry NBC gave up on it. Its a shame networks can't leave great shows and stop giving us crap like the apprentice.

January 27, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
  18. Vincent

After watching the final episode I can't help but get the feeling like it ended with the possibility of being picked up by another network. Anyone else get the same impression? Anyway, even if it is gone for good, Chuck was the only show I watched regularly. It was fantastically original, entertaining, and just fun to watch. You could pull for an underdog like Chuck and really get into the story. Slightly campy? Yes. But great great fun. Thanks for the memories Chukc. I will certainly miss the show.

January 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • Intersect

One can only hope, but I doubt it. They gave great ends for all characters except Chuck and "Sarah". That was a tad disappointing. The hightlight was Jeffster. That was classic. I was hoping Chuck's dad would be found alive, but oh well.

January 28, 2012 at 1:15 am |
      • Byron

I agree completely. The scene with Jeffster rocking with the orchestra was beautiful.

January 28, 2012 at 3:22 am |
  19. jimbo

Chuck was a great show in my opinion, one of my favorites. Very entertaining. I am old enough to say that MASH was another of my favorite shows. Cheers was another and Star Trek the original series. Yes I put all four of them in the same category. They entertained me. To the cast, you had wonderful chemistry and I wish you all the best, thank you.

January 27, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Jesus Your Lord

Fascinating.

January 28, 2012 at 3:07 am |
  20. Rachz

Man, i love this show and it has to end? I agree with the previous post that NBC is making a BIG mistake. Among the many spy type TV shows, Chuck is UNIQUE in many ways especially that there are lots of funny scenes. I will surely miss this show. The crew really played their roles very well. KUDOS to all!!! I plan to collect the complete DVD set when available. I just HOPE NBC rethinks their decision.....

January 27, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • chuckfan420

This show was awesome for the five years it was on. It was getting long in the tooth though and probably needed to end. I think the first two seasons were the best and then it started a small decline.

January 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
  21. The Flamingo Kid

Who the hell is Chuck?

January 27, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Byron

There's always some pyscho, who wants us to think he's cool because he doesn't care about anything.

January 28, 2012 at 3:25 am |
    • plp

Who the hell is Flaming Kid? (not a typo.)

January 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • Steve Dunn

...please do not feed the trolls, folks!

January 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  22. thomas

One of the few programs that I watch on NBC. I watched it from the beginning. Loved it. I think NBC is making a big mistake.

January 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Byron

It was the ONLY show on NBC that I watched.

January 28, 2012 at 3:26 am |
  23. Augie

Saw the first episode, wasn't impressed. Watched the second and was even less so. Two years ago I got rid of my TV and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. What an absurd waste of time.

January 27, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • Amanda

I'm thrilled that getting rid of your TV didn't stop you from leaving asinine comments.

January 27, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
      • Augie

And I'm not surprised that this is what you consider thrilling. If you ever make it to old age I can see you lying in your death bed thinking, "Gee, I wish I could have watched more TV."

January 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Bob

It's amazing the lengths people who have gotten rid of TVs will go to to make sure the rest of us hear about it over and over again. Great. You got rid of your TV. Perhaps your computer should be next.

January 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
      • Smukers

I agree with you 100%!

January 27, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
      • jimbo

Yes they love to talk about how they gave up tv but they never talk about how much time they spend in front of the display device attached to their computer.

January 27, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
    • mother of four

Like how someday you're going to be laying in your deathbed wishing you'd spent more time in front of your computer clicking on more links to shows you don't like so you could boast about not watching TV? Really Augie?

My family and I only recently hooked our TV up to an antenna after many years of only watching videos over the internet if we watched anything at all. This meant we were a little in coming to this show. While there's a fair amount of the usual nonsense on and we still keep it off quite a bit, we found Chuck to be silly, charming fun. I'm glad we got to see the last few episodes.

January 27, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • Colin

o you sir have changed my life! i'm throwing my tv out the window now and going to live in the forest among the animals! seriously, go jump off a bridge and stop raining on our parade. get a life. i dont tell you that what you do sucks

January 28, 2012 at 2:06 am |
    • tboyd

I have a question. If you got rid of your tv how did you know it was the last show tonight

January 28, 2012 at 2:41 am |
    • SafenSound

"waste of time" hmmm, what a waste for you to post this. SMH.

January 28, 2012 at 8:42 am |
    • plp

Augie. Sweetie. Let the big kids play. Time for bed.

January 29, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
  24. john martin

I love the quality series to me it was ecellent, piease bring it back,i know youcan somehow,a fan of the series.

January 27, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Doug

I've been a fan from day one. Just finished watching the final episode and feeling a little down at the moment. Feels like I lost an old friend. Thanks for a great five years!

January 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
  26. Sonia

We'll miss you! I've watched all the seasons, all the episodes, during every dip and peak. I always looked forward to watching it. I cried a ridiculous amount during the finale, but I can smile with swollen eyes because it was a wonderful show. Cheers to the cast and production staff for making such great memories for us all to share in. It was a really amazing ride :D.

January 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
  27. surfcrazed

This show lost me early on. I loved the show but lost interest numerous times due to the multiple-month gaps in between new episodes. That's a trend now. These networks trying out shows for a few months and then they go away for a few months, then back, then gone for the summer, etc. I've stopped watching anything but reruns because of this stupid strategy

January 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • noydb

Seriosly? that how all TV series work. it's called a spring and fall schedule you f'ing noob.

January 28, 2012 at 12:52 am |
  28. Peter Large

Never watched an episode. Did I miss anything?

January 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • Brian

Yes. Yes, you did.

January 27, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Augie

Only the opportunity of slipping into a vegetative state.

January 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
      • Smukers

You are one sad sack. Probably a hermit.

January 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
  29. Swap

I will miss Jane.

January 27, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • Freddy Jay

Now THAT was funny!!!

January 27, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
  30. Pointless1

I would much rather go through child birth than watch another episode ever again....

January 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • Augie

Dental work done through my rectum vs. mind-numbing television. Bring on the drill.

January 27, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
      • Smukers

Yes, please have have the dentist drill out your last malfunctioning brain cell. Happy Days are here again!

January 27, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
  31. Shake Your Grooved Thang

What's "Chuck"?

January 27, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
    • Fretlessbass

what's google?

January 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
  32. Master

Yay, now they can go put on a good show... I hope

January 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
  33. Flipider.com

Through the years there has been to much feel good thinking around this show for NBC executives to want to keep it when the Banks were foreclosing on 70 million Americas and how they were really craving there thrust with C.S.I. informative ways.

January 27, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • Intercept

Make sense you do not.

January 27, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • noydb

U R N IDIOT... hopefully you can read this without having a brain fart.

January 28, 2012 at 12:55 am |
      • Chuck

No Sparky, for those of us who can use the correct words "too" or "their" in a sentence it didnt make sense. When you reach the 3rd grade, you'll figure it out.

January 28, 2012 at 1:38 am |
  34. Charles

"Chuck"?? Is that show even still on???

January 27, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • derptard

No, it's not still on. That's the point of the article.

January 27, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  35. Michael

Man, I remember seeing a casting call ad on Craigslist for this show. Thought about applying but then I was like "Hey, I'm leading the glamorous life of a night manager, I don't have time for all that fame and fortune," so I didn't.

And now the show is over...time flies...

January 27, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • Jeff

Cool story, bro.

January 27, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • Matthew

after reading your book your exaplnation of the events seem more plausible than the official record. I would be very interested to know about any local book signings I live in Virginia Beach and I know my dad would have very much wanted to be there..take care

July 1, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  36. Shauna

Chuck will have a long life in re-runs... good job guys, and good luck... we pick shows to watch as a family... and we have a rule we can't watch until everybody is there... so we watch many episodes at a time... this has been a favorite and I can't believe you aren't continuing... I've liked the wrap ups for the characters... we will miss you... but shows like this they live on... my grandkids love Star Wars... I was 16!... This is a TV classic.

And Zachery? Your name is forever Chuck and the guy in Tangled too is forever Chuck... everyone you play will be Chuck.

January 27, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • Augie

It's called a period. Use it more often.

January 27, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Alex

glenn beck is a freak!! Have you seen pictures of his cnumopod? He's a total SCHIZO!!Sure I want to be prepared to but Beck no-one with any brains should watch or listen to him!! And by the way he would just as soon run you down than lend a helping hand if you needed help!

November 16, 2012 at 12:20 am |
  37. FastEddie

S1 and S2 were absolutely epic. Somehow the show lost some mojo afterwards, not sure why. Less BuyMore, no Anna, and no Emmit pulled a dimension out of the show that made it sputter, like pulling a sparkplug out of a 4-cylinder engine. Enjoying the finale so far, though.

January 27, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • tnicks

Budget cuts and execs trying to get a broader fanbase killed everything that made the show great. What can we expect when filth like 2 and a half men somehow racks in millions. Maybe we just need to go bash our skulls into a brick wall to enjoy the nonsense so many others apparently do.

January 27, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  38. Intercept

Chuck was a great show. But of course NBC put it on Fridays because of no confidence. A little TV show in the 60s was put on Fridays by NBC for the same reason. STAR TREK! This show was never given the chance it deserved. Granted, it jumped the shark when Chuck and "Sarah" got together, but every character, even the two Buy More geeks were improving this season. Another great show gone. Dont replace it with another cheap talent show. Nice going NBC. not. If you dont know what "Sarah" meant, then you're not worthy.

January 27, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  39. JD

We loved the show and never missed an episode in 5 years. Of course we have a DVR so that helped. Hate to see it leave the air.

January 27, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  40. phearis

I saw half of 1 episode about 5 years years ago, thought it was beyond stupid, was upset I couldn't get my 30 minutes back and never watched it again.

January 27, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
    • Chris

I couldn't agree more. I'm a geek at heart, but I don't have time for something this bad. Glad its gone

January 27, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • Havefun

It was a spoof, it was fun, did you really need to post that?

January 27, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
  41. Bert BigDongle

Never watched the show, but looking at the cast... they have the white male lead – check. The hot girl – check. But where is the token minority?

January 27, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Lauria

Lester & Anna

January 27, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • Jack West

He was on tonight's show, not in the picture. Black dude. They had an Indian dude too, he's also not in the picture.

January 27, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  42. sailorDoom

Didn't watch much of this show but I liked the premise and that unique comedy-thriller angle they had. Reminded me of an up to date Get Smart.

January 27, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
  43. jonnjonn

This is one of the few shows on tv I enjoyed in years. Please don't replace it with another Gong Show.

January 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
  44. cyg

Yvonne, you mega babe – I will miss you!

January 27, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
  45. Charlotte Braun

It's a shame that a good program like Chuck will be off the air and gory programs such as Criminal Minds stay on the air.
    I really enjoyed Chuck. He will be misssed.

January 27, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • Doug

While true that many of the other shows are really getting old in comparison to the ever-engaging Chuck, I am glad that this show is going out without jumping the shark or moving into some mediocre plot lines that no longer have any tie to the original plot line. I also can't wait to see what each of these actors moves on to do, but most especially, Adam – who's skill at playing the tough yet funny guy is unsurpassed – and the writing gave him some of the best/most quotable lines since his work in Firefly. He's probably one of the most underrated actors in the business, and the whole team came together brilliantly.

Still, better to go out on top than slip into the same rehashed plot devices that other shows use to drag out another year or two.

January 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
      • Brian

Unfortunately, I think that in the last season, they kind of *did* jump the shark. Towards the end, everyone and his brother ended up with the intersect. That took some of the power out of the show for me.

Don't get me wrong: It was a great show, and I did like the finale, but they kind of were all over the place in the last season.

January 27, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Keng

Also ja zum 1. bild mit dem autowenn ich trete ist duataso nicht zerdellt sonder ganzim arsch zum papier meinein arschist he4rter als der alu mfcll daxDMfG Chuck Norrie

August 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  46. Mark

I will miss that show. Watched most of the series from the start!
    Great job to all of Chuck staff!

January 27, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
  47. Will i am

I loved the show when it first came out. It was amazing well written and I looked forward to each episode. After the third season however it lost me. At one point I had 8 episodes on my DVR until i said screw it and deleted it all without even watching them.

Chuck RIP

January 27, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
  48. Drew V

Really? Never seen the show or had any awareness of it whatsoever... Don't even know what night it comes on TV... Monday is Terra Nova/Alcatraz/Two and a Half Men night... Tuesday is NCIS night, Wednesday is ABC comedy night... Thursday is Big Bang Theory/CBS comedy night/ Friday is Fringe... Only thing I watch on NBC is Today Show and the Nightly News... whatever happened to Must See TV? All I see is CBS, ABC, and FOX...

January 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • Hobbits

Why are you commenting if you don't watch the show? Do you make it a habit of walking around at parties and interrupting conversations to let them know you don't know what their talking about?

January 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
      • Angela

That is one of the best come-backs I've ever heard! I'm going to steal it.

January 27, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
      • Jader

That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time

January 27, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • Marcus

Haha you say you've never heard of Chuck but call Monday "Terra Nova" night. Chuck held down the Monday Night at 8 spot for the past 4 years before moving to Friday this year. I'd be shocked if Terra Nova lasts half as long as Chuck. As for what happened to Must See TV...Thursday is still NBC's comedy night. 30 Rock, The Office, Parks and Rec...etc. The Ofifice isn't what it used to be, but you need to watch 30 Rock and Parks and Rec. Two of the funniest and wittiest shows on TV now. I like that NBC doesn't go the CBS route of pumping out formulaic sitcoms with laugh tracks just to get viewers. (Whitney doesn't count as a real show).

January 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • Augie

Who watches that much TV? Wow, your life must be a barrel of excitement.

January 27, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • sockpuppet

Terra Nova>?!?! LOLOLOL

January 28, 2012 at 1:32 am |
    • Hadia

goose2goose2 on January 26, 2011 @electrique527 @tsport100 know much about wind turbines> ? No ..maybe do just a few mtunies searching around, before shoot your mouth off and showing everyonewhat we already knew..that you don't have a clue.the gen-set alone cost over 700 dollars try looking up the cost of an axial flux gen-set,then you might consider even finding out just what , exactly that is .

March 6, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
  49. Matthew in Minneapolis

They stretched out this show for far too long. I felt the best ideas were used in the first three seasons and after that, it was just 'beating a long dead horse'.

All good things must come to an end

January 27, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • Will i am

You know I felt the same way and right now I am scratching my head trying to figure out when it lost me. I know it was a specific episode but can not recall which one.

January 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  50. Grandpa RD

Chuck who?

January 27, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
  51. danny ilagan

Sorry, I don't understand the following: ""This crazy little idea came into my head to visit Subway [a major sponsor] on the day of the second season finale," she said. It popped into my head and I scribbled the words 'finale' and 'Footlong.'"
    She got the word out to entertainment bloggers. "Nothing happened at first, and about a week before the finale, it was everywhere," including Twitter and CNN iReport." What happened with Subway/finale/footlong?

January 27, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • Lucy

The connection was sponsorship which gave the fans a way to show support to the show, through ad support.....so, we bought subway, subway sponsored .chuck, NBC kept Chuck..,.until now......goodbye good show.....

January 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
      • Dave

Agreed. That was incredibly unclear.

January 27, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
  52. xenaclone

The 'Chuck' convention [the first in the world!] was near Birmingham, England. I know because I was there!

January 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • Dhana

sabrialcruz on September 19, 2011 have ynnoae of you tried GETFREENEOPOINTS(dot)COM? it works perfectly fine here. I got 10,000 neopoints roughly in 10 minutes.

March 6, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
  53. Mer

But...but...this is my show!! This has been my show for five years!!! I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do when there's nothing on Fridays any more. It was hard enough facing Monday and realizing I had to wait four more days to see Chuck! I'm going to go sit in a corner and sob now.

January 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • jw

Go to fanfiction.net and look for chuck under tv shows. lots of fan written chuck storys. its awsome

January 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • Satch

I just pooped my pants.

January 27, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • Augie

What are you going to do? How about get a life? It's a TV show. You probably own a cat as well.

January 27, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
  54. Cygnus Rising

I love the show and I'll certainly miss it. Still have the DVD sets to enjoy, at least that is something.

January 27, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  55. Kate

Goodbye 'Chuck!' You were a great series, from beginning to end!

January 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  56. Lubiana

I came in the middle of the show and I liked it but sometimes I had no idea what was going on. If they re run the whole series, I will surely watch it. Anyone else think that the main character looks a lot like Josh Groban? Which is a definite plus.

January 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • NetFlixFan

You can catch up on 'Chuck' via NetFlix; they have all of the past seasons...

January 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
      • jw

indeed. season 1 is still my favorite. i have all of the box sets

January 27, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
  57. Michelle

After watching a slew of amazingly written/acted shows I love get canned after one season (or half of that) for "ratings" issues, it was refreshing for NBC to continue taking a chance on Chuck and proving that they were listening to its very loyal and loving fans. The show is the funnest show I have ever had the pleasure of watching and I enjoyed it with the entire family for five wonderful seasons (and thanks to DVD's, will enjoy re-watching for years to come.)

January 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
  58. Greg Riedel

I was hooked on "Chuck" since the beginning. I loved the premise of the show, how a sales person from a big box computer store, could become a spy. I loved the way Zach and Yovonne, played off each other in Character. I am also a big fan of Adam Baldwin (Independance Day) and loved his character. I watched every program I could throughout the past 5 years, missing a few because I was traveling alot. I would Really, Really like to see all of the seasons come out in a box CD set (BIG HINT) Truthfully, It was the only prgram on TV that I felt was worth while watching, besides Football and Ice Hockey telecasts. I wish all the cast and everyone involved with the show good luck, and wish there was a way you could all be reunited again (another Hint, how about a movie?) Thank you for 5 really great years, I will miss you all.

January 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • jw

i couldnt agree more, and like you i would like to see this series spinoff a feature lenght film. here hoping

January 27, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  59. Linda

This is one of the few shows our whole family could sit down and watch together. My daughter works at Subway, so she found that bit quite funny. We loved all of the characters and will miss them dearly. I really loved the move to Friday night as it gave all of us something to look forward to at the end of the work week. Good luck to all of the cast and crew! You will be missed...

January 27, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • Lucy

Yes, thank you for a show, not many of them that was good spanning ages differences of the viewers. One of the few my son would watch with me...

January 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
  60. bday55

Maybe you idiots will now get a life, huh?

January 27, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Shop Less

So says the person who pops up to post about a show he doesn't watch....?

January 27, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Dee

I'm Dee. Get a life? Suck Deez nuts, punk! "Chuck" is/was a great show....better than that "Jersey Shore" or "Survivor" crap you watch.

January 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • jw

i like my life just as it is. seems much better than the one you seem to be suffering with :P

January 27, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • prospero

Casey?

January 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
  61. Henry Parks

I've stuck with this show for so long, it's kinda really sad having to say goodbye to it. I'll miss this little world that was created and the characters that inhabit it. If the show runners ever read this, thank you for an amazing five years!

January 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • Karin

Thanks, both of you! I said undeservedly besucae I know how many other people worked equally hard but are now looking at pay cuts or layoffs. But thanks for reminding me that it's not just luck. Sometimes I need to be reminded of that.

November 16, 2012 at 3:26 am |
  62. Kyle Joel

Hi I watch from the UK in Buckinghamshire and all i want to say to NBC is Please Please PLEASE do not give this tv show up!!! We all love chuck the show so much!! Can't you see how many people love this show!! It's the best family tv show ever!! Better than family guy and I love that too. LISTEN TO THE FANS!!! And if the cast member see this we love you guys and we want this "show must go on" (Queen song lol) for many series!! But if this is going to be the last I am deeply sadden and upset!! Many thanks to all the cast!! You will be missed!!

January 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  63. Annie

I have made a point of eating a Subway sandwich every day that Chuck airs for years. I got my sandwich today and suddenly realized this would be my last Chuck Veggie D'light. I almost cried. Now the Subway lady has figured out I'm crazy. I will miss this show so much.

January 27, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  64. Hobbits

I will miss my TV character friends and the wonderful actors that gave them life. There will always be a special place in heart for each of you and this show.

Thank you NBC, Subway, Toyota, Dell, Apple, and long list of sponsor that believed in and put your money into this show.

January 27, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
  65. Rachael

I've always been able to tell over the past several years that someone at CNN is a Chuck fan, because you guys always give it good coverage. :) Thanks for that and I will really really miss this show. There's nothing else like it on t.v.

January 27, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  66. Deb

I am really going to miss Chuck too – I have loved it from the beginning. Its one show that the whole family likes to watch. Good luck everyone!

January 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  67. Stan

WAAAAH

January 27, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  68. Susan

Love the show. I will miss you Chuck and Alec. I will miss the Buy More.

January 27, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  69. phantom phlyer

Thanks for the great ride guys. It was one of the few shows the wife and I would watch together. I'll miss the facial expressions and grunts of Adam the most. Always funny.

January 27, 2012 at 11:20 am |
  70. DZA

"Chuck" will surely be missed. Wish you all the best of luck and thank you for quality writing and casting...something that is waning in many of the current new shows.
    You guys were a staple of your timeslot and OWNED it.
    +1 on movie idea. "Chuck vs the Movie" would be perfect.

January 27, 2012 at 10:32 am |
    • Michcv

Haha, Chuck vs. the Movie. I love it!

January 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
      • NorwegianViking

Loved the show, great actors playing great characters. If a "Chuck vs the Movie" is ever made I will watch it (probably several times).

To the cast and crew, I wish you all the best of luck, you will be missed.

January 28, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  71. Pete

To the cast and crew, you will all be missed. I started late, but caught up and have been a Chuck fan since Season 3. This was an amazing show. It was funny, suspenseful and made all of us geeks feel just a little better about ourselves.

Zach, Yvonne, Adam, Josh, Ryan and Sarah, good luck and take care. I'll miss you.

January 27, 2012 at 9:52 am |
  72. Allen

Love the show, movie?

January 27, 2012 at 9:40 am |
    • Ghyung

This is my first time I’ve visited this wsbtiee. I discovered a lot of fascinating things in your site. With a lot of comments in your articles, I think if I have leisure time. I keep on visiting ….

July 3, 2012 at 6:20 am |
  73. Dennis Hubbs

Another QUALITY series bites the dust...Thanks to the cast and crew...and to Subway, which no doubt had a big part in keeping his excellent series alive for 5 years...We will miss you all. Best of luck to Levi, Yvonne, Alec and the rest – we loved the ride!!!

January 27, 2012 at 9:38 am |