Why I'm thankful for George Takei
January 4th, 2012

Why I'm thankful for George Takei

Editor’s note: George Takei, best known for his role as Mr. Sulu in "Star Trek," was gracious enough to speak with Geek Out for nearly an hour and a half. We discovered that he had more than one story to tell. Check back with us next week to see more of Takei's heroism at work.

When you talk to people about George Takei, they often begin with a sigh and follow up with, “I just love George.”

It’s the kind of love that anyone involved in a fanbase or subculture can relate to – supportive, intuitive and unconditional.

When Takei expressed his wish that I'd “live long and prosper” and tossed in a nice “Oh, my!” for good measure during our conversation, I could feel my heart tingle a bit. Takei is so amicable that you immediately feel as though you’re receiving the confidences of an old friend.

But I wanted to know: Why exactly do we love Takei so much? Brokering “Star Peace” after William Shatner and Carrie Fisher began a "Star Trek" vs. "Star Wars" social media feud is just one feather in his cap.

Is he a geek hero? Fan Dorinda Paige says, "Amen to that!”

Paige first encountered Takei on TV reruns of The Original Series and then followed helmsman Sulu in the first six films of the "Trek" franchise. Even in Sulu's early days on the Starship Enterprise, Paige could identify with his character. He piloted a massive starship, but he was considered a supporting character.

“Sulu wasn’t the main focus of any episode really, but he was always that cool guy in the background that you could identify with,” Paige said. “If you aren’t the main one on stage, there is always someone in the background that is important and represents the glue that holds everything together, and he did that for me.”

“She is very discerning and has high standards and good taste,” Takei told me, laughing. “But she has also got to have a keen eye and ear, because I didn’t get that many opportunities to shine. I was more one of those art deco reflective globes. You can’t say Sulu is a shining character.”

Paige continued to see “Sulu” everywhere. When he showed up on the TV series “Heroes” as Hiro’s dad, Kaito Nakamura, it was all Paige could do to keep from “squeeing like a fan girl.” The show referenced "Star Trek" on several occasions while Takei was part of the cast, even showing his character’s license plate as “NCC1701,” referring to the Starship Enterprise.

“Heroes” revealed a different side of Takei’s acting range, and what Paige calls a “forceful side to Sulu that we never saw.” She also believes that other actors would have shied away from obvious references to their previous work.

As Trekkers, we love Takei because he returns that affection wholeheartedly, which isn’t always the case when we encounter our favorite member of Starfleet in plainclothes. To find someone who recognizes the importance of what he is associated with, and not only understands but embraces it, is a gift. It is an affirmation that we made the right choice, falling in love with a show or a character.

“I love Shatner and Nimoy, but you get the idea that, at times, they wanted to distance themselves from 'Star Trek,'” Paige said, which ends up a hurtful experience for fans.

“What we want to tell them is, ‘You don’t seem to get that I love you for who you were in this role.’ I think George Takei gets that. He always seems to truly appreciate the fans and their enthusiasm for the show, his role and him, personally.”

Takei doesn’t understand “biting the hand that feeds you.” “'Star Trek' has fed me this wonderful opportunity to do and talk about the issues that I’m passionate about,” he said.

During his time on "Trek," Takei could appreciate show creator Gene Roddenberry’s boldness. No one else was exploring the allegorical implications of the turbulent 1960s on television.

“Gene felt that television was a medium that was being wasted,” Takei said. “It was a time when there was such anger, confrontation and anguish, and he wanted to look on the better angels within us and project that into the future - to say that all of these issues we’re struggling with are overcome-able.”

At convention after convention, fans have approached Takei and shared thousands of inspiring stories with him about what Sulu did for them. Takei’s character didn’t fall into a stereotype – he spoke without an accent and didn’t represent “a villain or a servant,” as media had previously treated Asian-Americans. "Trek," and Takei, have taught acceptance where there was none.

“What makes that starship so engaging and powerful is its diversity, finding strength in that diversity and making our collective strength even better,” Takei said.

Trekkers everywhere have connected with Takei’s accepting nature. He isn’t afraid to be enthusiastic and optimistic (“It’s the optimists that get things done”) and although Takei doesn’t identify himself as a geek, he’s completely happy being himself, and encourages others to follow suit.

“I consider myself to be me. I embrace everything! There is no need for us to wear labels -  we are capable of so many things.”

Takei maintains his fanbase by respecting fans' integrity as well as his own.

"Because of someone like George Takei, it’s OK for us nerds, geeks and Trekkers to be out there,” Paige said. That's a good reason to be thankful.

Posted by
Filed under: Fandom
  1. Roto

Wonderful Mr. Sulu, wonderful!

January 4, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  2. r

I've met and talked with George on a few Star Trek conventions back in the day in NYC. He was the most gracious, refreshing, funny person you could ever imagine! May he live long and prosper!

January 4, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  3. Bill

How do you write an entire article about George Takei and not even mention his appearances as an announcer on the Howard Stern show that certainly brought about his newfound celebrity status? George is fantastic, but it was the Stern show that allowed people to realize that.

January 4, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

I have to disagree. I'm a Takei fan, I think George is fantastic, and I wasn't aware until now that he had anything to do with Howard Stern's show.

January 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
      • FoxMass

Can't be too much of a fan if you didn't know that about him.

January 5, 2012 at 8:20 am |
    • Nitalynn

Never knew he was on the George Stern show and I recognized his name immediately. Not impressed with Stern myself. Not surprised George T. did well on the show though.

January 4, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
  4. OrlandoBuckeye

I hate to really trash anyone but I met George Takei a number of years ago and he was less than cordial to me and other fans at a public event at Disney. He may not have been having a very good day but he came off as very smug with a large ego and not very friendly at all. I am glad to see from other postings that other people have not had the same experience but unfortunately that was my experience and the one that sort of darkens my opinion of George.

January 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  5. Marklar

Never heard of this guy. Star Trek was kind of a dumb show.

January 4, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • Iluvatar

Hey, you can diss ST if you want, just remember it is one of the biggest and best-selling franchises out there. So while you were throwing tomatoes, Gene Roddenberry (creator) was throwing cash around. 😛

January 4, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
      • BillyBoy

Point, set, match!

January 4, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • daniel

Seriously, that's your only response? Then why did you even read the article? If you didn't, then why did you take the time to comment? Nothing better to do with your time?

January 6, 2012 at 7:46 am |
  6. r.ortiz

to gorge, or mr. sulu thankyou for your presentation of mr. sulu on star trek, your fans love you and you are very humble, we need more people like him, because some of these high priced actors think they own the world. Most hollywood actors would not even look at their fans let alone engage in a simple conversation.

January 4, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  7. Dave

Actually this doesn't rhyme at all.

January 4, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  8. Tom

George Takei on HOWARD STERN is the most hysterical entertainment I have ever heard. What a great guy!!!

January 4, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  9. mahuang

George Takei has an awesome voice

January 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
  10. Dave McGuire

George Takei is awesome. That's just all there is to it.

January 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • The Awful Truth

Awsome voice, awesome actor...horrible role-model

January 4, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
      • Tom

Why a horrible role model? What do you know about him personally? He is intelligent, truthful.... I don't believe he goes around trying to be a role model. If my kids are honest, truthful, funny, kind, considerate and intelligent, all traits George Takei has... I will be a happy parent!

January 4, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
      • AmazingSteve

Can I ask why you think he's a bad role-model?

January 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
      • Don

Youre now proving yourself to be nothing more then a troll. For a person you say you dont care for you spend a lot of time coming back to this page to comment. George would feel sorry for you and give you a hug...and you would like it....and that scares you. The fact you keep coming back clearly indicates your lack of a life.

January 4, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
      • Jerry

I'm wondering how he behaved way out there in space with all those guys around in their tight fitting uniforms....?

January 4, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  11. Matt McHugh

Slightly off-topic, but...

It's not "Trekker" - it's "Trekkie." Trekkies are true fans. Trekkers are poseurs.

- mm

January 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • The Awful Truth

Anyone that uses the false term TREKKERS...is obviously NOT of the body.

January 4, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
      • douggross

Good points. Except for the fact that your wrong.

January 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
      • Michcael

No, no! You can only be "Of the body" if you are "One with Landrieu"
        if you can't serve landrieu, then go feed Vaul,
        that is, is you want a piece of the action

January 4, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
      • Get a Life!

Trek___... the difference is one group is a fan of Trek, but doesn't take it too seriously, and the group members have lives outside of and beyond that which revolves around Trek. The Trekkers (as the goobers call themselves) take the show, and themselves as a group WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. (Also, only a Trekker would take a Trekker seriously, Trekkies think you guys are a joke, much like the rest of the world.) Get a LIFE, people! It was just a show, and even if it was great then, it has not held up well. Give me a black-and-white Twilight Zone episode over that aged, worn out, lame junk ANY DAY!

January 4, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • ohsnap

Agreed although many will argue. The word 'Trekker' didn't come about until people started making fun of 'Trekkies' and someone thought 'Trekkers' would be cooler. I am an old school Star Trek TOS Trekkie and proud of it. Peace and Long Life!

January 4, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • Jerry

So many losers here. .... and Bill Shatner would go along with me on that.

January 4, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
  12. GeorgeB

What a bigoted moron you are.

January 4, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  13. The Awful Truth

I am not a fan of George Takei's gay lifestyle...I think we can ALL agree he certainly uses his celebrity to promote his amoral lifestyle

George, please stop trying to force your perverted man-love sickness down others throats (no pun intended)

January 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • ProperVillain

Please go back to the dark ages where your opinions came from....

January 4, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • sarakenobi

I am sorry, please stop shoving YOUR amoral drivel down OUR throats.

January 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
    • GeorgeB

Again, another load of absolute crap. Being gay has never been easy. And it's a lot harder with jerks like you.

January 4, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • peter

Re the comment by The Awful Truth the only thing awful is you, a bigoted, stink a$$ Repukelican I would bet!

January 4, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • mb2010a

Hateful much???

January 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
      • The Awful Truth

I don't hate anyone...but don't I have just as much right to prevent my children from being exposed to an agenda that MOST people consider to be perverted and amoral? Yes, I do. Live your life how ever you want...but don't try to actively impress it on me or anyone else that does not want it around them or their family.

January 4, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Don

"Amoral Lifestyle". By this you mean a decades old committed relationship based on love and respect? Or were you referring to all the charity work George has done over the years...maybe the anti-bullying ads...or the active participation in local politics and community service....his work with the Museum in Pasadena...yep, that George surely is amoral. Would love to see your track record, Chumly. Ive known George since 1979 and he is one of the best examples of humanity it has ever been my pleasure to know and FYI Im a Republican, straight, and a combat veteran so dont let your preconceived notions and prejudices spur you on to make any further ignorant statements or assumptions.

January 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
      • The Awful Truth

Jerry Sandusky ran a charity at Penn State would you consider what he did amoral? George does a lot of good things but his gay man-on-man relations and his high-visibility celebrity promotion of all things rainbow are not considered moral by the majority. You agree with him simply because you are most likely gay and live the same lifestyle and want to accepted for it...

January 4, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • Tom

@Awful.... you're a fool!

January 4, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • Damien Tobin

"I think we can all agree he uses his celebrity to promote his amoral lifestyle".

Be honest. When you typed that out, did you HONESTLY think we would all agree with you?

I'm pretty sure you knew full well that no, we do not all share your views. Many of use find them to be offensive hatemongering.

Surely you knew that would be the case? So why did you say "we can all agree" knowing full well many people would find your views repugnant?

January 4, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • Mr Jimmy

Dear "Awful." Yeah, I hear ya. Ted Haggard on "Wife Swap" is more your right wing style. In closing may I say please, "Evangelicals... don't shove your immoral agenda down my families throat." (No pun intended.)

January 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • Ryan

I love George, he's an inspiration in bravery. A class act all the way!

January 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • Scott

Oh, how wrong you are. In a country of free speech, you have NO right to be shielded from uncomfortable perspectives or opinions. Face them, eat them and like them, bud. I wish I didn't have to be exposed to your hatefulness, but that's the price of free speech. Gays and others have EVERY right to promote their lifestyles, as do you.

January 4, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
      • Keith in SoJax

Oh, sorry for the previous post. I failed to realize I was trying to reason with a child. Did your mommy let you sign on today?

January 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • The Awful Truth

All you poofy fellows replying to my comment are funny..and I mean funny haha, not funny as in gay...even though you are that, too.

January 4, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
      • Benne the Clone

Awful Truth, at least the Awful part of your name is correct. Not everyone responding to your comments or liking George is gay. Some of us are straight but not narrow, and some of us don't care what people do in the bedroom; it's none of our business. Let it be none of yours as well.

January 5, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • Bitter truth

Right on the point. Atleast some people can stand up and talk against this rubbish. And for all the angry replys the truth is bitter sometimes.

January 4, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
      • Don

Already creating your own sockpuppet accounts to back yourself up? Thats pathetic. Loser.

January 4, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • atroy

Hate manifests when oppressed people recognize in others something inside themselves they've yet learned to express.

January 4, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • michael

not a fan of his gay lifestyle. well i guess you just discounted anything good about the man because of your prejudice and intolerance. you must see how ignorant and shallow you are because of this. shakespear said it best "methinks thou doth protest too much" get it is it getting through?

January 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Amoral...

Amoral only by your made-up, hokey, phony-baloney set of rules. To those of us who know all that bullsh!t in the Christian Book of Lies (or as those fools who think the events described in it really happened call it, "the Bible") is a bunch of made-up crap, there is nothing amoral in being gay.

Is his being gay hurting YOU? Someone ELSE, then? NO?!? Well, then it's not amoral. Your rule book by which you presume to judge what is moral and what isn't is flawed and incorrect, (and so, therefore are you,) if it presumes to say that for someone to love someone else with the wrong plumbing is somehow wrong. I'm not, incidentally, and I'll agree it is kinda gross, but so is French food... I won't eat it, but I'm not going to cast aspersions on someone else's character because he likes snails.

For you to lump people who like to play with each other's wieners in with people who lie, cheat, and steal is a worse "sin" than you think his being gay is. If (as I've been assuming, admittedly, but this is generally true of idiots who spout the nonsense you did in your last post) you are following a Judeo-Christiano-Muslim based code that derives initially from the five original books of the Torah, etc., and you're judging, you're WRONG by default. If you are a true follower of the "Book", then you are commanded to do numerous things that are not only illegal now in all right-thinking modern societies, (heheheh) but are actually listed as immoral in other parts of the book. In other words, you can't POSSIBLY be right by the book, because the book commands you to do mutually contradictory things in situations you've doubtless run into in your life.

Indeed, the same "book" that says being gay is an afront to your creation-fairy, says slavery is okay. What a crock of sh!t iii The book clrealy condones incest, and Jesus himself seems pretty gay too. Twelve guy friends, no chicks... hmm... also, he wanted them to eat him, yet he seems anti-gay, as does his fan club. Maybe you should actually READ this book before deciding what it says is true.

But anyway, by all means, continue spouting your hatred and stupidity. It'll help us identify which people are clickheads and shouldn't be listened to. I actually like when you identify yourselves for us. Makes it that much easier to drown out the stupidity coming from your mouths and fingers. So spew on, you crazy dorks!

January 4, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

I find it profoundly sad that this matters so much to you, Awful Truth. My deepest sympathies, and may you eventually find room in your heart for acceptance of all human beings.

January 4, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
      • Look out!

Leaf on the Wind, I love how you soar... look out for that giant toothpick, though!

January 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Most people.

On behalf of most people, I was asked to come and tell you most people don't consider it amoral, only a tiny vocal minority considers it amoral, the rest just nod in agreement out of fear that defending or siding with an unpopular group will convince others that they are part of that unpopular group.

In other words, they're cowards.

Happily, those with the guts to stand up to insist that others be treated fairly are increasing in number, motivated by the sense of being appalled by what the vocal minority do when no one stands against them, and not wanting to sit on the side-lines AGAIN and watch another attrocity, and have to answer their kids questions one day. Questions like "Dad, were you there when..." and "Mom, why didn't you do something about it?"

January 4, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • The Bigger Awful Truth

Really? Maybe like Michelle Bauchmann did today, learn when you and your views are defeated and step the eff down. Also, it is so clear that her husband is gay, on his knees praying it away as we speak. (PUN INTENDED). I'm guessing you are gay and just can't handle the awful truth. It's ok, the majority of the world has their heads out of their ass already and wont hate you. Time to join us.

January 4, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Doug

Rick? Rick Santorum? Is that you?

January 5, 2012 at 4:54 am |
  14. Henry, Florida

I met George in Tampa, through serendipity really while jogging down Bayshore drive. He was in town for a trekkers convention, we chatted for the length of my run, about 30 minutes. I found him to be very approachable, humble, and disarming. Won't go so far as to say I love him, but I do like and respect him!

January 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  15. Quincey9

George doesn't really age, does he?

January 4, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

No, he doesn't. Sigh . . . I envy that.

January 4, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  16. John S

There'd be no George Takei revival without Stern. The writer had to know (and def should have known) that and intentionally left it out. Wonder what else they decided to ignore?

I love George. The guy's got a great sense about him.

January 4, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Tonia

You are 100% correct sir!!! Too bad the writer chose to leave that very important detail of George's career out of this story. By doing so slighted George. He is a very funny guy with a great sense of humor and appreciation for comedy. Shame on her.

January 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  17. Aww, C'mon

This was a great thread until it was hijacked by these last few posts. We are discussing George Takei, not your own agenda – please just take your childishness and go away – beam them up, Scotty.

January 4, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • The Awful Truth

Who are you to tell others what they should or should not say?...ALL opinions are valid, like 'em or not...did you learn absoltuely nothing from STAR TREK?

January 4, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
      • Damien Tobin

While Trek did often make a point of emphasizing that all people have a right to their own opinions, it did not teach that all opinions are equally valid. Quite often it taught the moral that bigotry is just plain wrong.

"There was persecution on Earth once. I remember reading about it in my history class."

January 4, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
      • All opinions are VALID?!?

That's nonsense. 🙂 Seriously though, we have to be able to do basic evaluations on opinions when we hear them. How else are we to decide whether or not we agree? You're spewing nonsense again, Awful. If someone says it's his opinion that gravity doesn't exist, and we are all pinned to the earth instead by the giant, invisible tail of the great invisible beaver, are you going to respect that opinion? Are you going to treat it as "VALID"? Well, go on then, and regard all opinions, no matter how uninformed, as "VALID".

Or were you being sarcastic? Considering your earlier anti-gay rantlet, how can you claim all opinions are "VALID" when you denounce the "life-style" of someone else, when that is really a form of opinion. Sheepus Cripes.

January 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
      • Leaf on the Wind

Opinions that are hurtful to, or hateful towards, others are best kept you yourself. You are very unkind, Awful Truth.

January 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
      • Don

Trolls that arent fed starve to death. Ignore awful truth and her sockpuppet accounts and she will fade away

January 4, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
      • JRHMILFORD

Ok All Opinions are Valid? What a bunch of BS, As I have lived over a half century and have heard so many opinions. Everyone has an opinion but what opinion matches the facts of a situation? The opinions of Albert Einstein carry more weight than any of the opinions of the current political candidates for example.

Seeking the truth for the sake of truth and your fellow humans is a great goal. George may not be perfect but as an example he shows how one person can make a difference.

I could give a rat's a** who he wants to sleep with as I could care less about who anybody wants to sleep with. That is their business and if in the course of that person doing good for humanity it comes out that they are Gay, so what?

I would rather have my children know what the real world is about so they can handle it then keep them sequestered.

One day they will be exposed to someone that is Gay and I want them to have the respect to not treat anyone Gay or Straight badly or with disrespect. If someone treats them or a friend of theirs badly then they have the right to defend themselves as a reasonable person would.

What you "The Awful Truth" want is to repress any one that does not believe as you do. You say that you do not but your words and in my "Opinion" your actions say differently.

Take your Prejudice and bigoted perspectives back home we do not want to hear them. Take them to the web sites that love to hear what you are talking about and distort the truth for their own gain and sucker you into some gold buying scam for their profit. That is what you sound like and if you do not like it then you take stock of yourself and change like the rest of us have to, like your ancestors did to survive, like the human race is suppose to and cut the c$%p and do something good with your life like George has.

BTW I am also a Republican and I am sick and tired of all this right wing insanity directed towards people that do not deserve it. If they spent 50% of the energy they use in tearing people down for constructive projects this world would be so much better off. That sir is a fact.... in my opinion....

January 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
      • Nancy

As to "All opinions are valid," no they are not. Some opinions are wrong and dangerous. But we have to let people express their opinions, valid or not, for the sake of a free society

January 5, 2012 at 12:07 am |
  18. TheDirtyKreeper

The cake is a lie..

January 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  19. Jason D

His facebook updates are more comical then most comedians sites....he truly has fun with everything and couldnt grow up mentally if he tried..you see that peter pan character come out with every comment...its one of the funniest facebook pages out there.

This is what the people need..a real celeb who celebrates life and fun and not this self promotion others spam on facebook

January 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  20. nrt

Hey Now!

January 4, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  21. mac jonesa

He made some sweet cake of that gig. They milked that puppy dry and them into a mummy.
    But really, I don't see why they stopped and let those kids take the reins. As if being old ever stopped a rock star, Indy, or Bond. Do another show, and just make the Enterprise wheelchair friendly (put in railings and a lot of hot nurses, heck just the nurses would be fine)

January 4, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • mac jonesa

Moderators, could you erase my post. It doesn't make any sense the way it is. I don't want people thinking they can make Mummies this way. (speaking error to blame). Mummy making is a subtle art.

January 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
      • Moderators

Wait, what? There are moderators here?!?

January 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • TheMummy

Your post does not make any sense. You can not make Mummy's that way.

January 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  22. Jennhat

How can you talk about George Takei without mentioning Howard Stern, who had a huge part in George's renewed popularity? Howard took George in and let him shine as the announcer to his show and frequent week long appearances on the show on Sirius.

January 4, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • ohsnap

George Takai never needed a 'revival'. True Star Trek fans know that. Howard Stern can't wipe his Takai's boots

January 4, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
      • ohsnap

Sorry, Takei. I guess I'll go and take a nap now!

January 4, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • Stern

By the same token, how can you write about Takei and not mention his parents, their parents, etc., or oxygen, or water, etc., etc., without any of which, he would not have had a "revival". I'm not sure what the point of the blog section on CNN is, now that I think about it, because like opinions, every as shole has one. Wait, that didn't sound right...

January 4, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
  23. vel

George is such a nice guy. I had the opportunity to have dinner with him when he gave a talk at Clarion University where I was attending. Little tiny rural college town, and rural nerdy me, and he was the consumate gentleman. And while taking a run around the town, he stopped by the bookstore and signed things.

January 4, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  24. Marie

He is fantastic when he guest announces on Howard Stern. A real class act in a very positive sense 🙂

January 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  25. Cellar Cleaner

George Takei is a good guy. He is very considerate to fans and takes a moment with them to connect. He is gracious.

January 4, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  26. paul

why is there no mention of his credits being a regular guest annoucner on the Howard Stern show ??? for ANY fan of George this would be a HOME RUN !! he talks about everything there.

January 4, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  27. John Tighe

I heard that he's going to be on the Apprentice show. That's sad.

January 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  28. Minorkle

George has been mean to William Shatner. That is unforgivable.

January 4, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • lroy

He lost all my respect when he came out of the closet.

January 4, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
      • Kris

I hope you are not serious about that comment. I feel sorry you if you are.

January 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
      • Scott Lawrence

That bugged me too. I grew up in a generation where you cleaned the closet before you came out of it. Star Trek aired for the first time the year I was born.

January 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
      • Kristen

I'm sure he cares about having a bigot's respect.

January 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
      • Kris

****feel sorry for you...

January 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
      • michael

Wow! you must be a total closet case!!

January 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
      • Tonia

You are disgusting!

January 4, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
      • peter

Well, it no doubt made more room in there for you!

January 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
      • kddance

Nobody cares about "respect" from a bigot.

January 4, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • jaintn

I saw George T. on the William Shatner roast on Comedy Central a few years ago. The things he said were absolutely repulsive and you could tell he had waited years to do that. The jealousy was palpable. My elderly father watched it and was so disgusted he swore never to watch anything with George K. on it, which isn't hard considering he's spent his life milking those couple of years on Star Trek. Also, I have little respect for anyone who waits until they're a geriatric before coming out and then won't shut up about it.

January 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
      • go away

have you watched roasts, or even know what a roast is? it's meant as a tribute to the people being roasted by being broken down in a fashion that only comedians know how. it's not a mom and pop comedy show.

its like going to a strip show and saying the dancing was not technical enough.

January 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
      • macphile

LOL, go look up "roast." Fail.

January 4, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
      • K?

Jaintn, who is George K.? George Kirk? 🙂

January 4, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
  29. rc roeder

I worked with George back in 86 at Timecon. He was a wonderful guest and always wnat to greet fans. I had two female co workers that had spent most of the con feeding the gophers, i took them with a plate chocolate chip cookies and a picher of orange juice to his room. He invited them in and talked to them for over an hour.Very nice man

January 4, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  30. rc roeder

was that comment really needed.

January 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Mr. Myxlptlkx

...uhhh yeah, it really happened...

January 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  31. @yesi79

Great article, but you are incorrect on Sulu's rank. Sulu was indeed the helmsman on the USS Enterprise but only for the first five films. Sulu was promoted to Captain of the USS Excelsior before the sixth film.

January 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Remarkable

Amazing that (thing about Sulu's rank) went this long without someone correcting it, considering who-all is likely in this thread... Of course you do realize the only reason Sulu was put there was so they could pretend there was career progression, and have another ship (not just the Enterprise as it had almost always been) with someone we know at the controls. It would have made much more sense to have a few of them get promoted and their own commands. Spock, Checkoff, (or whatever, don't bother to correct my spelling, I really don't care) Uhuru and Scotty should have had their own ships by then... but you have to keep them all in the same piece of space to follow the classic "Trek" traditions of having a vast universe, and only focusing narrowly on a single ship and a few characters, and having anyone else anywhere else seem two-dimensional and made out of cardboard, like whenever they go to Starfleet Command and it's like one little room. Yeah, okay. But that's Trek for you.

January 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  32. Michelle

We met Mr. Takei at a Star Trek convention about 14 years ago and he spent at least 30 to 40 minutes just speaking to my then 5 year old son. In fact, I believe he preferred talking to the kids more than any of the adults – although he was gracious to everyone! My son has fond memories of that convention thanks to Mr. Takei. Live Long and Prosper Mr. Sulu!

January 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  33. David

The world would be a much better place if there were more people like George Takei.

January 4, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • Kris

Agreed

January 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  34. Scott Lawrence

First of all it's "Trekkies", not "Trekkers".

A real fan would know that.

January 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • tom

Sorry, but being an original TOS fan back in the sixties, it is definitely trekkers. not trekkies. The latter was considered an insult.

January 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
      • Greg

Yep!
        Trekkers is indeed correct – Trekkies is an insult 🙂

January 4, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
      • chwingnut

Yep, you are correct sir. Thanks for posting it.

January 4, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
      • Jon

It's true....the original fans called themselves "Trekkers". When I was a kid watching the reruns in the late 70's I thought it was "trekkie" too but people kept correcting me. I don't think it's really an insult anymore because we can all call ourselves whatever we want.

January 4, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
      • Scott Lawrence

In the late 1960s, science fiction editor Art Saha used the word Trekkies to describe a group of early fans who were wearing pointy Vulcan ears at a science fiction convention. The label caught on, although some devotees felt it sounded too much like crazies and preferred to call themselves trekkers. To a trekker, the term trekkies creates images of fanatics struggling to distinguish between reality and fiction.

January 4, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
      • Trekkies

Trekker is an insult, a name for a Trekkie who takes Trek too seriously. Get a Life!

January 4, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Scott Lawrence

The issue is also shown in the film Trekkies 2, in which a Star Trek fan recounts an incident during a Star Trek convention where Gene Roddenberry used the term "trekkies" to describe fans of the show, only to be corrected by a fan that stood up and yelled "Trekkers!" Gene Roddenberry responded with "No, it's 'Trekkies.' I should know — I invented the thing."

January 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
      • The Awful Truth

Thanks Scott ..the correct term is indeed "TREKKIES" per Gene himself...Tom Jon, Greg, and wingnut are obvously NOT of the body.

January 4, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  35. Samueltx

Star Trek was fun, and I really liked his cameo on Big Bang theory. Favorite line there was "and yet, here I am". Favorite thing he did in Star Trek was his smirk look over to Checkov right before they would warp away. Don't love the guy, but really thought he was cool with the sword episode.

January 4, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • The Awful Truth

Best Big Bang / Star Trek cameo was Brent Spiner at Wil Wheaton's party....hilarious.

January 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  36. kurtinco

Stupidest video I've ever seen. Don't bother to watch it. Hey penis-hole, post this crap somewhere else.

January 4, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  37. Maverick

I met him at a convention near St. Louis once...he was shorter than I imagined, but powerful in presence. He and Nichelle Nichols were the most gracious and accommodating guests I have EVER had the great fortune to meet. He treats everyone with dignity and respect, and never seems to tire speaking to fans, though he's answering the same questions thousands of times.

And that voice...ooh, that voice!

January 4, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  38. erin andrews perky breasts

HE'S ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY

January 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Daisy

What's your point?

January 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • Me

Huh?? Someone shouldn't make money? Better role model than most of the crap that is out there. Need more positive people like Mr. Takei. Maybe you should look into being more positive yourself!

January 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

And you wouldn't be?

January 4, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
  39. Rod C. Venger

Star Trek, all of them, were great entertainment, but that's it. People that look for hidden messages, allegorical commentaries on society, whether intended or not, merely exhibit their own insecurities and allow others to do their thinking for them. Paige was inspired by George Takei? That's a sad, sad commentary on her own life and sense of self-worth. Think outside the box. Inspire yourself.

January 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Jerri

Star Trek aside, although I am a life-long fan, what is appealing about George is his joy for life, his universal respect for people, his inquisitive mind and his willingness to share himself with the world. I've met him and made a nervous remark to him, while he was signing a photo, about being a teacher, and the next thing I know, I'm sitting with him and talking about how teachers were so important in his childhood years.

January 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Scott

You know, people take inspiration from many things: art, music, books and, yes, even actors. Why is that a bad thing? Many of the astronauts credit "Star Trek" for inspiring them. So, I guess the question is, Rod, why do you hate astronauts?

January 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Jesse

I come to two conclusions every time I read one of your comments: (1) You express yourself well. (2) You don't what you're talking about.

January 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • CynycismAbound

What's sad is your need to judge others for who they are or the decisions they make. If you can make on truly original commentary on anything, then I would support your statement. It's impossible, we must all stand on the shoulders of great men to become greater. Inspiration can, in a very healthy manner, come from outside ourselves. There's a difference between influence and dependency. I believe in being myself, being original, thinking outside the box, being creative, and making up my own mind about things. But I also respect other peoples opinions, and sometimes accept that they may know what they are talking about to truly listen.

Grow up.....

January 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
      • CynycismAbound

*one – it should read make one

January 4, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  40. BillyBobx

He's just another sick, disgusting pervert.

January 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • David DeForge

Alas, he'll be remembered, you'll be forgotten.

January 4, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • MichaelB

And you, sir, are just another close-minded bigot.

January 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • David

... and you are an ass...

January 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Jesse

If ever there was a reason for a "Report Abuse" key, you are it.

January 4, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • Me

Really?? No that would be you! I guess someone such as yourself hasn't evolved yet. Catch up! It's people such as yourself that make this world difficult. Not someone as positive and inspirational as Mr. Takei. Maybe you should look into being more positive yourself instead of breeding hatred. GET OVER YOURSELF!!

January 4, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • Josh

Billy Bob? Is your name really Billy Bob? You make an obnoxious comment about this guy being a pervert and that's your name? You have got to be kidding. Oh, and by the way your sister says she's waiting for you...

January 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • The Awful Truth

Gays shouldn't have any rights except the right to not exist in public... stay in the closet you perverts

January 4, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
      • Kris

You're a m_ron.

January 4, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
      • Truth?

The only "truth" here is that you're awful... and obviously in love with (or in lust with) G.T., and want to lick his oily, hairless body... stopping only to suck on his saber... and you can't deal with these feelings, so you insult and attack gays, because you are one yourself and can't deal with those confusing feelings. Go play with yourself, think about kissing G.T., and then eat some icecream. You'll feel better.

January 4, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Sick disgusting pervert

Someone call me?

January 4, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
      • The Awful Truth

Yeah, George is..you two should get along just great

January 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  41. Snurfles

One of the most geniune of the Star Trek actors I've ever had the pleasure to see in person. I will watch George in anything he does be it TV, movies or stage. The man is not only a great actor, he's a lovely human being.

January 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
  42. Carole Clarke

My favorite Star Trek moment was when the crew had assembled back on board after the Enterprise had finished retrofitting in drydock. Kirk sat down, looked around and said quietly, "Take her out Mr. Sulu."

January 4, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  43. keith

Awesome, if only we had more scifi actors like him!

January 4, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  44. jay

At the small college building I work at in Downtown Honolulu, the librarian is the verbal image of George. He has that same lilting, over pronounced, over punctuated, vocal quality. He's Mr. Sulu to the older faculty....to the kids, he's just the guy that speaks strangely.... Generations indeed.

January 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
  45. ker

we should all be thankful for takei – it is anti-american to not appreciate all americans. i am sick of people hating in this nation, it is tearing us apart, and then americans have the gall to run down the middle east?

January 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Joe

LOL – you are one crazy cat. Look pal or gal, so you would love a child molesting murderer just because he is an American? I like Sulu because he entertains me and I think his current eccentric act is out of sight.

January 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  46. Anon

George is the best. Loved him in Star Trek, especially the fencing episode. His short cameo in Zohan was hilarious. Keep it up Mr. Takei!!

January 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  47. mark

And George Takei has credence worth citing anywhere because of why ..?

January 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Boisepoet

Because he's a better human than you will ever be...

January 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Maverick

(patting him on the head) Oh, Mark...if it has to be explained to you, you'll never understand.

January 4, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Here's why...

Why is this relevant or important?

George is a positive force for understanding, tolerance, and equal rights. He spends a lot of time, energy, and money promoting people caring for people.

George is active in LGBT rights, human rights, and more. Look him up (without Star Trek)...

January 4, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Joe

Because he at least has the intelligence not to take himself too seriously besides almost 1,000,000 times as many people would read it than would read something you said Mark.

January 4, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  48. Heynow420

Brads Big Balls Brads Big Balls........ Love George on Howard... makes me forget I once thought being Gay made you weird or bad. Ohhhhh Myyyy!

January 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Jason

LOL Last time when they had Shatner on the phone was priceless!

January 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
      • JayBone

*priceline

January 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  49. SoulCatcher

Totally Awesome!

January 4, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  50. Dave, CA

FAIL.

January 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  51. Fredo

I would like to thank Mr. Takei for his role in rebirth of the Angels Flight funicular in downtown Los Angeles. He remembered riding the funicular as a child when he visited downtown with his mother, and said he was happy to see downtown's renaissance linked to the funicular's resurrection. He is a member of the Angels Flight Railway Foundation.

January 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  52. EarlGrayHot

He has always seemed like a really nice guy. I read his autobiography and found it quite interesting. I don't see how anyone can diss him. There is nothing creepy about him.

Long live George and Sulu!

January 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • The Awful Truth

Are you kidding? EVERYTHING is creepy about him.. Would you actually consider leaving your young son alone in a room with him for over a minute or two?...I'd bet NOT

January 4, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
      • Jena

Since when does being gay have anything to do with child molestation?

January 4, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  53. WMesser58

Star Trek is Great Period. Stop arguing over what's better who cares.
    Everyone can like or disagree.

January 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
  54. Bruce

george may very well be a cool guy, but this gal has no credibility. when you refer to yourself as a "treker" you show that you are a "johnny come lately"..... true star trek fans are trekkies.....

January 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • denim

I'm afraid you have that backwards, Bruce. Trekkers are more serious than the fanboi "trekkies". At least, that's what they want you to think.

January 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
      • jmpgfoto

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I saw this coming, it's the war of the clones all over again!!!!!!!!!!!

January 4, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • indyreader

The book Star Trek Lives! by Jacqueline Lichtenberg, Sondra Marshak and Joan Winston (1975) first defined the very specific differences among trekkies, trekkers and trekkists. The present author seems to me to use the term correctly. And a trekker would know that.

January 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • Noctunicus

Your sesnseless comments regarding what to call Star Trek fans explicitly shows that you learned absolutely nothing from watching it.

January 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
      • The Awful Truth

Thank you Noctunicus...a voice of reason...Gene Roddenberry himself confirmed the correct term is Trekkies.

January 4, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  55. Paul

I met Mr. Takei at a Star Trek convention in Austin about 20 years ago (!). I was the last person in a lonnnng line and he was as gracious, energetic, warm and sincere – as well as hilarious – as if I were his next door neighbor. He is a totally class act, a fine talent, a treasure of anecdotes. I greeted him with a "Good afternoon, Captain Nimh", referring to his role in "The Green Berets" and he threw back his head and let out a huge and hearty laugh. "I wondered if anybody here [at the convention] remembered that role!" he said. What a memory I have with a memorable man.

January 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  56. Damien

Wasn't a huge fan until I Liked him on Facebook. If nothing else, I can appreciate his humor and ability to not take things seriously. It's Okay to be Takei!

January 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • ORLY?

George rocks. I enjoy reading his facebook posts... humor interspersed with great messages about tolerance and understanding.

January 4, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • Elizabeth

He puts side-splitting jokes on his site, the kind that get passed along. "Waiter, I'll have some H2O too."

January 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  57. Bababooey

George is awesome. He has perfect enunciation. Can't wait for him to return to the Sten show!

January 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • KRIK

One of the best voices in the industry, and a truly generous soul. The world is a better (and funnier) place because he is in it.

January 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  58. Transplanted

I saw him once...he visited Penn State to promote the first Trek movie, back in the late 70's. Spoke at one of the auditoriums, and it was packed.

January 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • The Awful Truth

Penn State? I bet Sandusky was in the front row and he and George swapped molestation strategies afterward

January 4, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
      • Jena

I will ask it again...since when does being gay have anything to do with child molestation?

January 4, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
  59. Eric the Commenter

Absolutely no mention of him being the announcer on the Howard Stern Show? Really?? Ack ack!

January 4, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Shan

First thing I thought of when I read the article. He may have been known to Star Trek fans before, but his audience has widen immensely.

January 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • chris

brads big balls, brads big balls....

January 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Al

I've always like him on Star Trek but I think his resurgence is 100% because of his role as the announcer on the Howard Stern show on SiriusXM.

January 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Brian Smith

He did really well on Stern. He represented himself well, and gay people well too. It was obvious that he was a guy with a great sense of humor, didn't take himself too seriously and was a regular cool guy.

January 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Clovergirl

Well, I have to say that until I read these comments, I had no idea that Takei had anything to do with the Howard Stern show. Believe it or not, there are a majority of people in the world who do not listen to Stern.

January 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
      • BigMike

There *is* a majority would be better, but it should really be "the majority doesn't listen to Stern." There can be only one majority, and it acts alone. If you are going to separate yourself from Stern's fans, prove that you deserve the distinction.

January 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
      • Marc

Yes, the majority of the world does not listen to Howard Stern but 18,000,000+ people do listen every day and when George is on for his occasional week long announcing gigs, the show is just that much better. It turned me on to him and I'm glad of it. I had no idea how talented he was nor what a superior human being he is. A credit to the human race.

January 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
      • LM

Sorry BigMike – Do your research. When majority is used w/a plural noun (i.e., people), the plural verb should be used.

January 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  60. MassMan

Seriously? No mention that if not for being the offical spokesman for the Howard Stern show, George would still just be doing conventions. George is amazing and is responsible for his newfound popularity but nobody gave him a stage before Howard did. And it is likely nobody would have. Not including this in your story is a blatant miss.

January 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Al

I agree. It almost feels like the author left out George's role on the Howard Stern show on purpose. For someone who claims to be such a big fan of Takei I find it hard to believe that he/she wouldn't be aware of this.

January 4, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • denim

Stern is a side-show at best. He doesn't really claim otherwise.

January 4, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
      • MassMan

Sideshow indeed. But he is an immensely powerful sideshow and he has surely said this himself as well. His sideshow has millions of listeners who fork out billions of dollars to sponsors (in his previous life) and now to SirusXM.

January 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
      • Marc

18 million listeners a day is not a sideshow. You may not care for his brand of entertainment but he is THE MAN in radio. Talking heads not withstanding, nobody comes close to the market penetration Stern has delivered. 40 million plus listeners a day on terrestial radio and 18 million plus on Satellite is downright monster sized. That's the equivalent of getting 18 million viewers on a premium television cable show. Nobody comes even close to those kind of numbers.

January 4, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Politicat

Who cares?

January 4, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  61. WillH85

*Trekkie. Its what Roddenberry used, and he should know.
    Good article, though. As much as it would be awesome to chill with the Shatner or Nimoy for a day and talk about their time with Trek, George is the one that would be cool to talk with just because he's a cool guy.

January 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
  62. DT

Howard Stern.... nuff said

January 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  63. Jeffbaseball

George really exudes enthusiasm about the future. One of my favorite actors.

January 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  64. kissyface

mr. sulu set fazers on fabulous.

January 4, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  65. ColdinFlag

Well – let us get back to talking about George! He is great! Looking forward to reading the rest of the article. Thank you George for being you!

January 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  66. Sybaris

Rick Santorum would deport George Takei.

January 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Sybaris

Regardless of his citizenship.

January 4, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  67. awdam

Beam me out of here Scotty!!!!

January 4, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  68. KPMCO

George Takei is one of the most genuinely entertaining personalities around today. I met him once in Houston in the 80's, and he was just as kind and funny then as he is today. He also didn't just treat me as a "fan", nor did he dismiss me. He spoke to me intelligently, encouraged me to follow my dreams, continue my education, and to be a good citizen and contribute to my community. He's a true class act.

January 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
  69. sherri

Boy, you are full of hate, aren't you? Did you mom drop you on your head? What did this man ever do to you that you are so full of hatred towards him? He is successful and is very grateful of who to thank. I would think you would be glad of that. He does not distance himself from the Trek fans, as some of the cast does/did. He enjoys his work and his life. He is a positive person. You're a real piece of work.

January 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
  70. Elmer117

I love this guy! I bought a Quattron TV set just because I loved him in the series of commercials – when he laughed, I loved the sound of his laugh. He comes across as genuine, open, down to earth. Love him in Star Trek, too. Watching him on Star Trek, I would never have guessed.

January 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • mike

Meh...too bad the whole "quattron" thing is a total gimmick (still decent TVs, though). But yeah, just goes to show his value as a spokesperson.

January 4, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • Rhea

Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) did an impression at a convention of telling George Takei a mild joke. His laugh was so funny that she would laugh at him laughing, and he would laugh at her laughing at him laughing, until they both ended up in hysterics. They're both splendid people.

January 4, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  71. Serious Person

Shatner, is that you? George will always be a nicer person than you.

January 4, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  72. rick santorumtwit... America's favorite frothy one

And you shouldn't be allowed out of your mother's cellar. I hope the chain she's got you on is a short one.

January 4, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  73. BlazingBallBuster

And I will be thankful for when Blaze here stops pooping out his/her mouth.

January 4, 2012 at 11:53 am |
  74. Carl

Sorry, George creeps me out. But then again I'm a man who loves NFL cheerleaders.
    "Oh my.....Peter Griffin is having a prostate exam....heeelllllooooo......"

January 4, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • mike

I love NFL cheerleaders. I still like Takei. What's the problem?

January 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
  75. RLR

Takes one, to know one, Miss Thing!!

January 4, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  76. Playjojo

And we, you honey. Take the ugly and be gone.

January 4, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  77. Epidi

Hmmm, the world could use one less hateful human being in it – are you volunteering yourself for that one? Jerk!

January 4, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  78. paul cattelino9

Jerk. Did your mother teach you to hate like that?

January 4, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  79. Steven Gaynor

George is great! I enjoy seeing him on TV or in the movies as he always does a good work in his roles. Check him out in 'Larry Crowne'. Good job! See you around the galaxy, Captain Sulu of the USS Excalibur!

January 4, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • PushingBack

Wrong ship!

January 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
      • Josh

Yea, it was the USS Excelsior. Though, the confusion in names is understandable.

January 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
  80. Justin

"Oh my!"

January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am |
  81. Chach

I know it's a little late after Christmas, but has anyone ever heard Takei singing, "Chestnuts roasting on an open........"FIRE!" So cool.

January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • Chach

......Followed by photon torpedo sound effect......

January 4, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  82. AMY

I love George, but can't believe in this entire article there was no mention of his "It's Okay To Be Takei" approach to gay rights. He is a proud gay man without being militant about it. He is so approachable, so mischievous, so full of life and love that issues like gay marriage become non-issues–he manages to defuse the hysteria without alienating people. Sometimes you really do catch more flies with honey.

January 4, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • douggross

Amy .... stay tuned for Part 2 of this interview next week. Ashley says George provided way too much good information for one article.

January 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • sulufan

Indeed. I follow him on FB and have enjoyed his work all my life. He represents the issues for which he is passionate very well. I respect him for who he is and how he represents himself even though I may disagree on the finer points of gay marriage and some other issues. It's refreshing to read and hear from someone who can take a position on something without being obnoxious about it.

January 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  83. Mike

It's worth pointing out than many fans of George Takei are just that: fans of George Takei himself, not necessarily Sulu. His warmth, his humor, his championing of LGBT rights and issues, not to mention his embrace of internet culture. Following him on Twitter and Facebook is a rewarding experience, I assure you. Of course, if you follow him online you will also be introduced to his love of cringe-inducing puns!

January 4, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • Elena

You are so right. He is a class act, a thoughtful intelligent man AND posts the best stuff on all of facebook. His posts brighten my day.

January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • MeinNJ

I posted the link to this story on his "It's OK to be Takei" FB page. when I first saw the headline, I thought that's what the article was about. I've been a Trekkie for years and always have loved George, but love him even more for being outspoken on equal rights.

January 4, 2012 at 11:39 am |
      • douggross

Stay tuned for next week's article - tons of info about that.

January 4, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • mike

I am not a Star Trek guy at all. I'm also not gay. But I'm a big fan of Takei. He's got a rare combination of honesty, humility, offbeat humor, and friendliness that is virtually impossible to find. He's an amazing spokesperson for whatever he takes on and the world needs more people like him.

January 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Joe T.

Agreed. I never really liked Star Trek but I do like George Takei! He's just an all around cool dude.

January 4, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  84. Dale

Star Trek Love it 🙂

January 4, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  85. Patrick Solorzano

What can I say? Takei is or that okay. He is the live definition of awesome. If you are liberal and a fan of Takei, you should add me on facebook. Look up my name!

January 4, 2012 at 11:25 am |
  86. Bobby

$hut the phukk up

January 4, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • San Ber'dino

Oh Bobby, I'm sorry you got a head like a potato, I really am...

January 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  87. smiles

He looks like a Chinese version of Smilin Bob from the Extenze commercial. Just saying. lol

January 4, 2012 at 11:21 am |
  88. david G

Funny!

January 4, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  89. Time Bandit

We have a uniform from Wrath of Khan, the studio sent it out for display. It was most likely used for background shots w/ extras, George was a guest at a con we were at in the mid 80's. He saw the uniform and asked to borrow it, now who could say no to George. Next thing we knew, he showed up wearing it. He wore it the entire day, George had a blast.

January 4, 2012 at 10:43 am |
  90. miamigrrrl

He totally owns the internets on Facebook. Posts the best content ever!

January 4, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • Susan

So true! he posts some very funny and some thought-provoking material on FB. I like that he isn't overaggressive about pushing his agenda.

January 4, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  91. rick santorumtwit... America's favorite frothy one

Be afraid of Santorum. Be very, very afraid.

January 4, 2012 at 10:05 am |
    • david G

Santorum rocks!

January 4, 2012 at 11:14 am |
      • rick santorumtwit... America's favorite frothy one

He's a dead fetus lover. Also, you need to google 'Santorum' if you haven't already.

January 4, 2012 at 11:22 am |
      • SilentBoy741

Santorum rocks sounds incredibly painful.

January 4, 2012 at 11:40 am |
      • So funny

I must giggle every time a reporter uses the words "Santorum" and "Surge"

There were so many reports of "Santorum surging from behind in Iowa" recently, that I find it difficult to beleive that the journalists didn't get the joke.

January 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
  92. Sarah

I have so much love and respect for him because he's so down to Earth, and interacts with his fans on Twitter and Facebook. An all around great guy 🙂

January 4, 2012 at 9:58 am |
    • Outraged

I second that. I met him only briefly several years ago, but was taken by how genuinely warm he seemed and appreciative of his many fans. We need more people like him in the world.

January 4, 2012 at 10:14 am |
  93. elizabeth

George on Howard is the best. He speaks his mind and shares information that you would never hear anywhere else. Who knew the correct way to say Tsunami before George told us? Anyone get a call from Howard on NewYears eve??

January 4, 2012 at 9:57 am |
  94. Bob

I met George in his "civilian" life as a member of the Board of LA Transit 30 or so years ago. I was in the industry and we happened to sit together at one of those big luncheons. We struck up an acquaintance that lasted through our tenures in the industry. What a totally unassuming, friendly guy!! He was not Sulu or "on stage" on those occasions.

January 4, 2012 at 9:49 am |
  95. MXD

LOVED George Takei, but NO mention of his many appearances on the Howard Stern show, and how that raised his national awareness and basically reinvigorated his career, and got him the job the visibility which probably got him the job on "Heros"?? Love George, but let's give Howard his due.

January 4, 2012 at 9:42 am |
  96. AceRyder

No mention of Stern? It's why Takei is popular again and for good reason: he's hilarious, has a good sense of humor, highly intelligent, and has an infectuous laugh. All reveled by Stern.

January 4, 2012 at 9:42 am |
    • DeeNYC

If your really a Stern fan you know that he never gets credit for anything! Unless it's negative of course. But at least George always thanks stern for reviving his career.

January 4, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  97. trekker

Check out his twitter feed. he's hilarious.

January 4, 2012 at 9:41 am |
  98. Emelia

I don't even watch Star Trek, and I love the guy. More people should be like him.

January 4, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  99. Phil Barnhart

And if you aren't following George Takei on Facebook, you're missing some of the best of Facebook. I wish he did more stage work – c'm George, we'd love to see your take on the Sunshine Boys! Strong-arm René Auberjonois!

January 4, 2012 at 9:10 am |