Boys don’t cry – even when they get snubbed for funky party rockers
December 7th, 2011

Boys don’t cry – even when they get snubbed for funky party rockers

The Cure saved my life. When I was a strange, bullied, sensitive and deeply depressed teenager in the late 1980s, lead singer Robert Smith’s weird, smeared beauty and bloody-voiced yowls were among the few glimmers of a world outside the one where my existence seemed less than entirely welcomed.

Though the band’s 35-year catalogue is often ghettoized as Goth (which they wholeheartedly dispute) and characterized as gloomy and morbid, a glimpse past the cursory reveals a sunny, romantic, terminally goofball side. Wild mood swings from staccato, near expressionless punk to happy, trippy, manic bliss to raging, gut-cutting nihilism are The Cure’s stock in trade, and with each new offering, fans’ appetites are whet.

Back in my basement-dwelling days, I had no inkling that I’d someday be listening to The Cure in the company of another living soul – let alone my future husband, certainly not the tens of thousands of fans singing along with every word at a sold-out Madison Square Garden show several years back, or the smaller, arguably more ardent crowd who fought tooth and nail to score seats at the six U.S. shows where The Cure played their first three (definitely not chart-topping) albums in order last month.

That’d be why so many of us were heard collectively howling into the wind on Wednesday when it was announced that The Cure was passed over for induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in favor of the likes of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It is not up to me to denigrate anyone else’s fandom. We all like what we like, and over at my other gig as editor of CNN’s food blog Eatocracy, we’re fond of saying “If it tastes good, it IS good.”

Plenty of people have had excellent experiences with the Chili Peppers; I’m not one of them. They were never mine in any meaningful way.

In the same way that a Cure song played at a party in college bat-signaled to me that I was in a place among my people, drunk dudes air-jamming to “Knock Me Down” or making white boy bass face to “Give It Away” tended to send me looking for my coat. I indeed was not on their uplift mofo party plan, though it seemed like the rest of the world was down for a funky, funky time.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have received seven Grammy awards and sold around 70 million records. The Cure have had one Grammy nomination and sold roughly a third of that. That’s certainly millions more than most, but still, though I am a well-adjusted adult with plenty of friends and a distinctly nonsubterranean existence, there’s something about the Hall of Fame snub that sort of wounds me. The cool kids win again, and the weirdos are left skulking in the dark.

It’s OK, I tell myself. From angst comes really freaking gorgeous art, and there’s always next year, or even several from now. It’s not like they’re gonna stop making depressed teenagers any time soon, and on the day they finally do get inducted, it’ll be extra icing sugar sweet. Probably something just like heaven.

1. Wastrel

I know little about this band, but I looked them up after I heard 311 do a version of "Love Song". This is one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard, and its classical simplicity has enormous appeal to me. A band that can create such a beautiful song has my admiration if they never do anything else.

December 8, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  2. Mike

RRHF is a crappy idea in the first place. It seems to be a "These are bands you have heard of!" sort of thing. Great. Who cares? Every generation has great music that defines it, and every individual have bands that are meaningful to them. The idea of a place to memorialize bands that have gained enough critical mass seems silly; after all, we've all heard of the Beatles, and we've bought their records. Why do they need to be in the RRHF? It makes much more sense to memorialize things that are/were important when you're a bit removed from them. Robert Smith isn't dead. Neither are any of these other bands. They aren't even retired. So let's just chill out and reconsider in 30 years.

December 8, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  3. kite005

I have to agree about The Cure. While not my favorite right up there with the other favorites for sure.

December 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  4. Tom

As I sit here listening to Love Cats, reading this article (The Cure has been playing this afternoon as I grind through some tedious work), I reflected on how much their music unknowingly influenced me. My wife verges on fanatical, so I got fully introduced to the catalog very late, but was shocked at how much of it I already knew... A pity they were passed over by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (for whose opening, in 1995, I was lucky enough to be present).

December 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  5. dacss001

Hands down this band saved me growing up. I never had categorized them as being "goth" when I was listening to them back in the day but "alternative"...a far difference from what some have disgustingly referred to as being...emo...yuck! Robert Smith and The Cure have paved the way and have influenced so many...and I still don't think they get the recognition that they deserve. I also find it almost unconscionalble that the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame would induct such "rock'n roll greats" as RUN DMC, Janet Jackson, and Kool and The Gang and not The Cure?!?!?!

December 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  6. wc

Cure b-sides put most albums cut by so-called rock hall artists into the hall of shame.

December 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  7. Jill

The Cure is a great band and no one liked them just to jump on someone else's train- so who cares if they are validated by any award?

December 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • dacss001

like the reference...

December 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  8. Chrisa

The Cure was my favorite band in college. Still is.

December 8, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  9. nagrom

Can someone tell me who Cure is? Never heard of them.

December 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Levi

what are your fingers too fat to type in google?

December 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  10. AT NIGHT (BAND)

Hey great article, I can relate for sure...

Shameless Plug:

For those who are fans of the Cure and like music that is new please check us out on facebook

New album will be released 2012 thanks AT NIGHT. Add us to your Likes or Spread The Word.

December 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  11. Rock'n'Roll Hall of Crap

If you ever needed proof that R&R Hall of Fame is bogus, think of the bands that barely have enough decent tunes for a "Best of" collecetion that been inducted into the HOF. A good example would be Blondie.
    Meanwhile Todd Rundgren, Rush and Paul Westerburg/Replacements can't get in. What a joke...

December 8, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Arch

Out of all the questionable bands included in the HOF, you somehow pick Blondie as an example? Wow....They a) sold a lot of records; b) were massively popular; and c) were widely influential at a time when the lines between pop, new wave, and rock were being scrambled and in some cases, dissolved.

December 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  12. Scaper_X

Awesome! I have been a fan of The Cure since 1985. I still have a Cure sticker on each and every car I have owned.
    Always in the style off of the Seventeen Seconds album. Yes album. I have the vinyl.
    I would like to see them in the hall of fame. But on the other hand my 15 year old self still wants them to be "alternative". Separate from the mass music. For me they are in my hall of fame, and will forever be on that music pedestal.

December 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  13. johanna

hey! the cure isn't for 'weird' kids. all the cool preppy kids were listening to it in my high school way back when (back when preppy was way cooler than whatever rhcp are). no skulking here!

December 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  14. Pat

Until Styx makes the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it means nothing to me.

December 8, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • zumajim

When that happens they'll sell out of snow shovels in hell.

December 8, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
      • josh

nice!

December 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  15. JGar

Two Words: Porcupine Tree
    That is all

December 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • Nick

I think we should all be happy porcupine tree is NOT associated with the filth in the RnR HoF. On that same note, I am glad the Cure is not in it. I also think its worthy to point out The Smiths are also NOT in the RnR HoF and I'm glad of it. Inovation does not get you into the HoF such as with the above mentioned bands, it's clearly how well you rip off things that have already been done (Elvis Presley, Metallica, Chili Peppers, etc.). Additionally, I'm sure record labels pay off the HoF to induct certain people anyway.

December 8, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  16. Jazz Butcher

Great article and very well written but as a fellow long time Cure fan, I have to side with some of the other posters here. While it would be awesome to see some of the great bands get some recognition, maybe a venue as superficial as the HOF isn't the place for it. I know some of my favourite bands (The Smiths, Echo & The Bunnymen, Jesus & Mary Chain, Shriekback, Bauhaus, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Joy Division/New Order) will never make it to the HOF, and I'm just fine with that.

December 8, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  17. Quid Malmborg

The Cure, Rush, and Warren Zevon. Three examples of artists with disparate styles that all deserve induction into the R-n-R H-o-F.

December 8, 2011 at 11:23 am |
    • Suzie Lightning

Hear, hear.

Posthumous induction, like posthumous Grammy awards...? Given some of the questionable selections (and omissions) of the HoF, what would it signify? As Mr. Zevon wrote of the music industry, "Even a dog can shake hands."

December 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  18. missp

Did I write this article?

December 8, 2011 at 11:22 am |
    • Mud

How do you not know if you wrote the article or not? Are you ok?

December 8, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  19. rsmithing

I don't need some kind of recognition to confirm The Cure's greatness. They still sound amazing 35 years in, especially live. That said, the Hall of Fame itself is pretty neat for memoralibilia alone. I've laid eyes on John Lennon's report card, Jim Morrison's Cub Scout uniform, the deed to Graceland... the list goes on. The real takeaway from this post for me is "white boy bass face." Can't wait to drop that in conversation!

December 8, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  20. Earl

They should just change their name to the Pop music hall of fame. That is all they are. For me, no Rush means it is not a Rock and Roll hall of fame.

December 8, 2011 at 10:41 am |
    • guest

Precisely. when the likes of Madonna get in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the idea of Rock and roll ceases to be any part of it. And, like Madonna, there are many other inductees who, like them or hate them, you'll have to admit have nothing to do with Rock and Roll, and many brilliant rocker who are ignored in favor of those producing pop. for me, I've just given up paying attention as to who gets in, and have avoided visiting when I'm in Cleveland.

December 8, 2011 at 10:54 am |
      • yaledelay

I am not a Madonna fan at all, but at least Madonna had the class to have the STOOGES play for her induction, which was a giant snear at the HOF.

December 8, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
      • yaledelay

Also the HOF it's self is really cool and they let my touring rock band get in for the one of our cds.

December 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
  21. Marla

From reading this, it seems someone has been living my life! I couldn't have said it better. Same age, basement dwelling, etc... Thanks.

December 8, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  22. Beatles

I like the Cure, but The Smiths were head and shoulders above them. Robert Smith is good, but Morrissey is a genius.

December 8, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • hk

Morrissy's good, but Johnny Marr is a genius.

December 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
      • Nick

except for that whole Modest Mouse thing

December 9, 2011 at 3:48 am |
  23. Fuzzy Logic

The HoF is obviously very flawed. Many of the rock bands already mentioned may not be my favorites but it's a joke they are not included.

You have to wonder about the 80s/90s alt and indie rock bands. Music became so much more fragmented after punk and disco. There will be a lot of great bands that may not even be considered – the Smiths, Pixies, Echo & the Bunnymen, Wire...

BTW, the Cure had an incredible string of albums for a decade and are a great live band – they should be in. The Chili Peppers deserve it too.

December 8, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  24. blaine

The grammys are a joke. A way of trying to legitimate the "artistic integrity" of platinum selling pop puke acts. Be thankful they didn't win a grammy as that would tarnish their lasting reputation. There are plenty of music lovers out there who venture far beyond the crappy mainstream stream of crap who have a deep and lasting appreciation of bands like the cure. Maybe instead of lamenting about the cure, you should go see some local and touring musicians who need the support and write an article about it.

December 8, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  25. OBXGal

I still can't over that the Moody Blues haven't been inducted!!

December 8, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  26. Cher (no, not THAT one)

I've been disappointed for a long, long time. I was a teen during the late 60s/early 70s and still mourn the fact that these groups haven't been inducted (I won't go into their stats...it would take too long...but if any seem unfamiliar, check 'em out online): Bachman-Turner Overdrive, the Guess Who, Moody Blues, Three Dog Night, Doobie Brothers, Blood Sweat & Tears, Jethro Tull, Steppenwolf...the list goes on. The HoF has become a bad joke.

December 8, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  27. doledart

The RHoF is a joke. Donna Summer and Madonna are in?

December 8, 2011 at 10:19 am |
    • duh

Agreed!

December 8, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • CLP

I agree...and those gals will probably get in before the likes of Heart! RRHF is one of the most glaring examples of BS ever.

December 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
  28. adrock

I don't have any issues with The Cure, but to suggest that they are better than the RHCP is just crazy. That is not a good pic, he looks like a crazy old woman.

December 8, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • f

I love The Cure, but I haven't seen a photo in long time. Smith looks 35 years older than the last photo I saw of him. RHCP, eh... Cure, definitely should be in. They influenced tons of bands and songwriters and the public for so many years.

December 8, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  29. Imbecile

My first exposure to the cure came when I was an angst-ridden 15-year old. A friend told me to listen to their song called "All Cats Are Grey". I'd heard of The Cure but didn't know their music. What I heard that day changed the way I listened to music forever.

This writer got it right. In the 80s, learning that someone was a fan of The Cure was like finding a kindred spirit. There was an instant bond between two fans that couldn't easily be explained.

It doesn't matter to me if they ever get inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It doesn't matter to me if they ever win a Grammy or any other superficial acknowledgment from the mainstream music press. Bands like The Cure that have such an intimate impact on their fans are rarely fully appreciated outside that realm. And I'm okay with that.

December 8, 2011 at 10:17 am |
  30. mightyfudge

The Cure: Mating call of the pasty suburban loser. If Chuck Berry had known Rock-N-Roll would have led to Robert Smith's pseudo fame, he'd have smashed his guitar and went into insurance sales....

December 8, 2011 at 10:14 am |
  31. What about RUSH

The real question is why is RUSH so rudely ignored by both Rolling Stone and The Hall of Fame?

December 8, 2011 at 10:10 am |

Because Rush sucks.

December 8, 2011 at 10:17 am |
      • Working Man

You suck

December 8, 2011 at 10:21 am |
      • corey

I agree with Working Man Ava..you do in fact suck.

December 8, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • JC

RUSH is one of the most underrated groups of all time.

December 8, 2011 at 10:20 am |
      • nilla

They've been largely ignored by mainstream music media, but I would hardly say they're underrated. The two are far from equivalent. See Vanilli,Milli.

December 8, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • Earl

Amen!

December 8, 2011 at 10:43 am |
  32. megbw

Good article. Best. Band. Ever. Robert, you rock!

December 8, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  33. Craig

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is LAME LAME LAME. I'm glad a cool band like the Cure isn't included. I wouldn't want them to be!!!

December 8, 2011 at 10:08 am |
  34. Bill

The Cure ruled, over the Chile Peppers, and all the others to be honest, they too, along with U2, Clash, Pretenders, and a few others, made the early 80's unbelivable for music. How this can happen is beyond me, maybe next year, they deserve to be there in the Hall of Fame.

December 8, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  35. Howard Jones

Maybe we should fund a New Wave/Punk/Mod wing in order to get "our" musicians some recognition!

December 8, 2011 at 10:02 am |
    • Craig

Ok, NOW you're talkin.

December 8, 2011 at 10:09 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

Oh heck yeah! 1st inductees – Howard Jones, Devo, Joy Division, NY Dolls...it goes on.

December 8, 2011 at 10:14 am |
    • Deb

Cars, Cure, Smiths, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Talking Heads(are they in?), Feelies (totally underrated).

December 8, 2011 at 11:27 am |
  36. notatall

Uhh. What songs have the Chili Peppers recorded?

December 8, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  37. Bob the Janitor

Yes, the Cure deserves to be in the RRHOF as does KISS, Rush, Judas Priest, and the Chili Peppers.

For the record, my personal list of the greatest bass players of all time are John Entwistle (the Who), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), Geddy Lee (Rush), and Flea (the Red Hot Chili Peppers). Each of them have raw natural talent and practiced professional skill that propels them above all the rest.

December 8, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  38. fenway1

very entertaining article. and i got stuck in Cleveland 2 summers ago for a conference and begrudgingly went to the HOF with 3 other guys who also had little interest. we all Figured we'd spend an hour or so, then go drink. spent 4 hours. it was amazing.

December 8, 2011 at 9:57 am |
  39. Dano

If you're inducted you either had to make a significant contribution 40-50 years ago or still be somewhat popular today, or at least well liked in the music industry (i.e. The Red Hot Chili Peppers). That's why a lot of bands who were so dearly loved in their time, and still are today by millions of people are passed over. The Cure is good example. Rush is the most flagrant example

December 8, 2011 at 9:56 am |
  40. ChadAustin

I'm not a big watcher of HoF. And I was full of insecurities and teen angst... I was also bullied. But I can't stand the Cure or Robert Smith. The fact that I can sing like and sound just like Robert Smith tells me he's a no-talent... because I can't sing either.

December 8, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  41. Ricky Bobby

Love their music, but gosh, Robert is looking bad these days. Imma send him a nascar hat. Shake and bake!

December 8, 2011 at 9:53 am |
    • Craig

Yes. I feel the same way. I LOVED the Cure back in the day. After Wish though, they became lame, rehash and irrelevant IMHO. Not that I think Red Hot Chili Peppers are great, I just think I understand The Cure being passed over. Sorry. I still relish my old Cure albums and will forever.

December 8, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  42. Jeff

The weirdos ARE the cool kids. Awards are a waste. Love is all.

December 8, 2011 at 9:51 am |
  43. Brian Massachusetts

WAAAHHHHH! Poor you. Your band didn't get into the Rock Hall. Guess what? The Chili Peppers didn't get in on their first ballot entry either. Maybe if you are patient your time will come. I love the cure, I understand how they are so important to a selected group of people. The RHCP were important to a selected group of their own in the early days but decided to graduate to successful international rock gods, something The Cure just couldn't pull off. I don't even understand why this is even open to argument. I understand that people have their own opinions but look at the facts.

I also agree that RUSH deserves to be in but they are 10 million records behind the Chili Peppers.

On a side note I'd love to see FLEA and Getty Lee battle in a Bass Off!

December 8, 2011 at 9:48 am |
  44. Mike

Wouldn't the Cure getting into the HOF kind of go against the grain of what they stand for? At least what the writer "thought" they stood for?
    Her description of her youth was about being a cast off, not popular, troubled, and sort of a pariah. If that is what attracted her to the Cure's music then why would she want her favorite band to be inducted into the HOF where all the other mainstream artists reside? The HOF is kind of like the "popular kids" band's playground isn't it?
    Or maybe she was simply that kid who never fit in and always wished to and the Cure getting into the HOF would kind of feel like redemption. Maybe she really did want to be part of the "in" crowd and always felt resentment for not being accepted?

December 8, 2011 at 9:48 am |
  45. Ohiovwtech

The Rock Hall is awesome. Plain and simple. Most of you who have posted in here have probably never visited. I vitist 2 times every year. They have a wide range of exibits and rock n roll artifacts. I have seen a guitar from Cluitch to outfits from a TLC video. Alan Freed ashes, Alice in Chains clay figures, to a sheet of Janice Joplin acid. ( undipped) I am sure the Cure will make it some day, and I will bet they have some of Fat Bob's white face paint and lipsick on display somewhere. Untill then quit your complaining and visit the Rock Hall, it has something for every one.

December 8, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • Snoop

Hi, Jann.

December 8, 2011 at 9:50 am |
    • guest

When i go to the Baseball HOF I don't expect to see a plaque to Michael Jordan there because he did not play basketball. So when I go the the R&R HOF, why do I see so many inductees who had absolutely nothing to do with R&R. From Madonna to Donna Summer to so may others who never played R&R, why are they in a HOF supposedly dedicated to ROck and Roll? Awesome? i just don't see it

December 8, 2011 at 11:11 am |
  46. Snoop

Its not the "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame" – its Jann Wenner's personal collection of favorites, and has been for quite some time. By the way, Jann Wenner actually had the stones to induct himself to his own organization as a rock journalist.

December 8, 2011 at 9:44 am |
  47. CM

This is why you were harassed in school... the whining and self-pity. Let me call the waaambulance over the fact the Cure didn't make it. Neither has Rush and I've been to as many parties with drunk dudes air wailing to Rush songs as the RHCP, so quit acting like it's some parting shot by the cool kids. By basing your judgments of people's character on the bands they like, you are as bad as the bullies you complain of.

December 8, 2011 at 9:44 am |
  48. Melissa

I can so totally relate to this. There are alot of bands that deserve Hall of Fame status long before the Chilli Peppers (who suck btw). Frankly some of their songs make me want to claw my eyes out.

December 8, 2011 at 9:43 am |
    • Brian Massachusetts

You are clueless.

December 8, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  49. kurtinco

Wow. I expected to be reading a lot of anti-Cure bull. I guess the times have changed. I love The Cure. Keep rocking, Robert.

December 8, 2011 at 9:42 am |
  50. Lollia

AMERICA (the band), enough said.

December 8, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • Craig

Who?

December 8, 2011 at 10:08 am |
      • Lollia

Not the Who, AMERICA.

December 8, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  51. Barry

The Cure is a terrific band.

What great, innovative music.

The 80's was a good decade for music.

December 8, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • Lola

I so agree, the 80s were the best decade for music, they dont make masic like that anymore, The Cure will always be one of my favs.

December 8, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  52. rizzo

I've been listening to bands that will never get in the hall of fame for like a decade now, so what? If you like the music it doesn't matter if they get in the hall of fame or not, it's about enjoying the music.

December 8, 2011 at 9:36 am |
  53. Joe

Same Deep Water As You... still my absolute favorite song from any artist to the this very day. Turn the volume up and the lights out on that one... amazing.

The Cure and KISS are both bands whose exclusion is a real head-scratcher. Basically I just feel that this "hall of fame" is a "hall of shame" that is a for-profit for the people running it.

December 8, 2011 at 9:32 am |
    • Melissa

Its the same reason boring movies are the ones that win academy awards. Because they like rewarding mediocrity instead of the unusual and different.

December 8, 2011 at 9:50 am |
      • AGN

Bad analogy...

December 8, 2011 at 9:57 am |
  54. Jackson

I can't stand Rush, but I respect their talent. I mostly dislike the lead singer's voice, drives me up the wall.

December 8, 2011 at 9:31 am |
    • ry290

Agreed!

December 8, 2011 at 9:45 am |
    • SameGenre

Geddy's voice is TIMELESS! Organic, real, pure, heartfelt.....

December 8, 2011 at 9:56 am |
  55. nilla

It IS called the "Hall of Fame", and not the "Hall of Good". So technically, RHCP beating out the Cure does make sense.

I don't worry a lot about the bands I like getting snubbed from this, mainstream radio, and academy awards, since I usually get the last laugh when I only have to pay $30 for a concert ticket.

December 8, 2011 at 9:30 am |
    • Joe

Rush is #3 in album sales all-time... if it was based on that, they would be in before the Chili Peppers. I'm pretty sure KISS has outsold them, too.

December 8, 2011 at 9:33 am |
      • ry290

Rush is 3rd in the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band, behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones...which is still awesome, but not 3rd of all time.

December 8, 2011 at 9:40 am |
      • Snoop

Rush is a one-hit wonder, according to the charts. Seriously, its true. The only top 40 song they ever had was Time Stand Still from Hold Your Fire. 🙂 Which says volumes about the sad state of music in the United States over the last twenty years or so.

Jann Wenner will probably put Lady Gaga into the HOF before Rush.

December 8, 2011 at 9:49 am |
      • Brian Massachusetts

On what Planet? RHCP have sold 50 million worldwide and RUSH has sold 40 million. When you take 50 and you take away 40, you end up with 10. 10 is the amount of records RUSH needs to sell to catch up to the Chili Peppers. RUSH has also been given a 15 year head start. Nice try though.

December 8, 2011 at 9:55 am |
      • Snoop

Er.. ABBA has sold almost 400 million albums, Led Zeppelin over 200 million, Pink Floyd over 200 million,The Who 100 million, and that's just a few bands that are way above your supposed top 3 in sales.

Where are you getting your made-up figures from, Joe?

December 8, 2011 at 10:02 am |
      • ry290

The Chili's have 70 million worldwide...Joe may of gotten the categories mixed up. There's like 130 bands that have albums sales in excess of 50 million units...so Rush isn't even close

December 8, 2011 at 10:04 am |
  56. James

By the way, honest did'nt know that the Hall of Fame still existed. I thought it shut down years ago....maybe it actually did.

December 8, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • Steve

That probably says more about you.

December 8, 2011 at 9:42 am |
    • CM

That's a common mistake becos it's located in Cleveland and even though the building is still open, Cleveland has pretty much shut down as a viable city...

December 8, 2011 at 9:45 am |
  57. James

Long live The Smiths! Steven Patrick Morrissey is one of the top 5 fronts ever and probably the best lyricist.

December 8, 2011 at 9:27 am |
    • Bill

amen on this comment, the Smiths, were unreal

December 8, 2011 at 10:18 am |
  58. evin

paul westerberg should be in the rock and roll hall of fame before half the fakes in there.

December 8, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  59. James

Would anyone of quality really want to be in a Rock and Roll HOF that let Madanna in?

December 8, 2011 at 9:23 am |
    • evin

exactly james.

December 8, 2011 at 9:27 am |
  60. Odin29

I stopped paying attention to this debacle of a hall of fame when Madonna got in and Stevie Ray Vaughan didn't. That's my own personal pet snub, but I know plenty of Judas Priest fans and Rush fans who tuned out the Rock n Roll HOFyears ago as well.

December 8, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  61. Rick Dominick

KISS should be in the HoF – they (along with Alice Cooper to a lesser degree) created or popularized every rock-and-roll trope in existence.

There is no excuse for Rush not being in. The fact that they succeeded as long as they have without major airplay or support, along with their skill, makes them a must-have.

I would also say Cheap Trick should be in as well, if for no other reason that longevity.

December 8, 2011 at 9:19 am |
  62. SS

None of my favorites will ever get in like Depeche Mode, The Smiths, Minutemen, Dead Kennedys, Jesus and Mary Chain, KMFDM, MInistry, Black Flag, etc. so pretty much why I couldn't give a sht about the RR hOF. They mostly induct people like BIlly Joel and Genesis anyways. Ten bucks says Brian Adams gets inducted next year.

December 8, 2011 at 9:15 am |
    • kurtinco

I love all those bands, too, except for The Smiths. Something about Morrissey always rubbed me the wrong way. Think Warlock Pinchers "Morrissey Rides the c0ck-horse". Always loved that ditty. Anyway, you're right. They won't let any of the what I used to call "waver" bands in any time soon. It's a shame.

December 8, 2011 at 9:40 am |
    • JEM

Love Ministry!!!!

December 8, 2011 at 9:59 am |
  63. Tom

Robert Smith deserves to be there, regardless of record sales.

December 8, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  64. Denise

I am 46 years old and the Cure is still my favorite band and I still listen to them a lot. Who cares about the HOF. The Cure knows their accomplishments and they know they have great fans. I would give anything to see them in concert again.

December 8, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  65. Chava

Always next time! In the mean time, back to the basement!

December 8, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  66. JJ

Love the Cure. I named my daughter Elise after their song.

December 8, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  67. skafunkpunk4u

The Cure were game changers, they do belong there, but for certain the Chilis and Beasties belong there as well. But the Chilis are/were more than just party rock. And they didn't achieve mainstream status until the early 90s. I can't say I went to any frat parties, but I don't think many keg-chuggers were aware of the band in the late 80s. Taste the Pain could've passed for a Cure song....
    But mainly, no band fused funk and punk (that sounded good anyway) until them and Fishbone. "Flea" is one of the most under-appreciated musicians of our time. To be able to do what he does on the bass is just mind blowing.

I agree, completely, that the Cure belong there... but don't blow the Chilis off as the 'cool kids'. They made their music their own way, and the crowds came to them ... slowly. It was their fifth album that brought them to that status, but many MANY of us knew about them well before that.

Also, Anybody that argues the Beasties being there need to understand where rock n roll came from and its not 'white man's music'. The fact that they were able to be the first successful Caucasian hip-hop artist needs to be recognized. They also are skilled muscicians, and if you listen to their instrumentals, you will hear an amazing world music influence. They are pioneers, the same way that the Chilis were.

The HOF doesn't just recognize "the best" , it recognizes the ones that takes music in a new direction. I was at the HOF this summer, and they had a Women in Rock section and there were Lady Gaga exhibits, and no ... she's not "hard rock" but she's a game changer, and its its still rock n roll, and that needs to be recognized.

December 8, 2011 at 9:14 am |
    • Fnordz

""Flea" is one of the most under-appreciated musicians of our time. To be able to do what he does on the bass is just mind blowing."

Seriously? You think Flea is UNDER-appreciated?

December 8, 2011 at 9:33 am |
      • Pointless1

Even more seriously thinking he's somehow the best bassist out there... or ever was..

December 8, 2011 at 9:43 am |
    • norocker

Well some of us frat boys were listening to the Peppers in the late 80's I'm afraid. In Jackson, Mississippi, no less. They were the soundtrack to my college years and beyond. Glad they've been recognized for their contribution to the music world. There are lots of others that should be in this HOF, I agree. Really enjoyed the article btw.

December 8, 2011 at 9:39 am |
  68. Black Belt Auntie

The hall of fame is a ridiculous joke – like all such halls of fame. Someone gets the idea to start one of these things and has an instant moneymaker on their hands – it's all about making money for the people who own the hall of fame. Pretty soon we're going to have halls of fame for every stupid thing you can think of: the third assistant gaffers hall of fame, the coffee bean distributors hall of fame, the Ikea furniture assemblers hall of fame. Doesn't mean crap.

December 8, 2011 at 9:12 am |
  69. Kev

The RRHOF is just a Hard Rock Cafe without the burgers.

December 8, 2011 at 9:12 am |
    • Kendo

December 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  70. Mike

This article makes me wish I'd known you when I was a depressed teenager in the late 80's. The Cure were my lifeline then as well, and I still love them today. I confess I did come to love the Chili Peppers in college, but they don't have the same place in my heart, either. I cannot deny them their place in the Hall of Fame. But Robert Smith and his ragtag bunch of misfits will find their way there eventually, I'm positive of that!

December 8, 2011 at 9:10 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

Well, I'm glad to know you are out there now. Music is like a homing beacon, isn't it?

December 8, 2011 at 9:41 am |
      • Mike

That it is, and even all these years later it's nice to see a fellow fan defending the Cure's legacy in such a widely read public forum. Bravo!

December 8, 2011 at 10:21 am |
  71. Daydreamer

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame means nothing to me. And from the people I talk to in my daily conversations, no one else seems to care, either. So, without a real mandate from the people, the RnR HOF is nothing more than a head trip for those who vote to determine who will be inducted next. I have my own personal RnR HOF and many of my favorite bands are not in the pretend RnR HOF in Cleveland, such as: Jethro Tull, Yes, The Smiths, Depeche Mode and Steve Miller. Yet, there are bands like Del Shannon and The Shirelles, neither of which have anything to do with rock and roll.

December 8, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  72. Chris

The HOF purposely stretches out which bands get in when just to keep people interested, and talking about which band got snubbed from year to year. It's called marketing.

December 8, 2011 at 9:05 am |
  73. Matt

In the same vein, Heavy Metal bands have been getting the shaft from the "RRHOF" for years. Eddie Trunk on "That Metal Show" had an excellent rant as to exclusion of Metal Bands that is valid to all sorts of music outside the "corporate" mainstream that the HOF seems stuck on.

December 8, 2011 at 9:03 am |
    • BOBBY

thing is a lot of those bands were one hit wonders and only made on good record. ain't gonna make it on that.

December 8, 2011 at 9:07 am |
      • EricLr

If you think one-hit-wonders are all that the RRHOF passes on, you obviously haven't been paying attention. Some of the greatest and most influential bands in rock history have been regularly passed over–and often for groups who shouldn't even be classified as rock (LL Cool J, seriously??).

December 8, 2011 at 9:25 am |
    • nilla

I don't think he was referring to Slaughter. If you don't follow metal, that's ok, but don't insult something you don't understand.

December 8, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  74. Cevin, WI

When Rush finally gets inducted, then the rest of you can complain.

December 8, 2011 at 9:03 am |
    • SV

AMEN! The hall has no legitimacy or relevance until they give up whatever this grudge is that they have against Geddy, Alex and Neil.

December 8, 2011 at 9:14 am |
    • Janice, PA

You said it! The three original members, still rocking and touring after 30 years. HOF should be ashamed of themselves.

December 8, 2011 at 9:14 am |
      • PaulDHudson

Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Rush and judas Priest were all game changers and I don't think they've even been nominated once. Long live Eddy Trunk. And Neal was not Rush' original drummer, John Rutsey was and he played on their debut album. Neal came in on Fly by Night.

December 8, 2011 at 9:25 am |
    • ByTor

Well said. Rush getting snubbed year after year, not even an acknowledgement. The RRHoF is as meaningful to me as the grammy's are. Just because you're in it(or have a grammy) does not make you good. And even though you may never have a grammy or be in the RRHoF, you could be one of the best at what you do.

December 8, 2011 at 9:19 am |
    • john

amen!!

December 8, 2011 at 9:19 am |
    • matt

If RUSH ever does get inducted, i hope they do the right thing......and tell them to shove it! That place is a joke and I really wouldn't want to be associated with it

December 8, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  75. SameGenre

2 GENIUS bands that should have been inducted long ago: RUSH and THE CHURCH.

December 8, 2011 at 9:01 am |
    • Hybridhor

If a band like Rush are not in the hall of fame, then the hall of fame is nothing more than a trophy room for 'the man'. Rush, the Cure, and dozens of metal bands have their rightful place in a genuin rock hall of fame. I personally think by them not being in it is a statement itself to the genuinity of this 'so call'ed' RoR HOF

December 8, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  76. Leo

GN'FN'RS!

December 8, 2011 at 8:59 am |
    • ry290

Like!

December 8, 2011 at 9:19 am |
  77. SteveO

Toured the HOF about 12 years ago. Was not impressed then and each year the new noms come out I lose more respect for the place. Chili Peps deserve, and certainly so does the Cure. I feel the Replacements also deserve a spot. If you are in Cleveland, see other things and don't waste your money on the HOF.

December 8, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  78. SameGenre

They should induct ME! I realize that i'm not famous yet, and no one knows my band, BUT it wouldn't hurt to get a head start!

December 8, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  79. Teddy Trunk

The R&R HOF is a misnomer and a joke. It is meaningless to everyone, except the casual music fan.

December 8, 2011 at 8:54 am |
    • Steve

You mean THE Hof? David Hasselhoff? He rocks.

December 8, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • Hybridhor

You mean those who cant tell the difference of a taco to sh!T on a shingle. Which is the mass audience. J.S Bach should be in the hall of fame, even though he is not rock, everything that is good is founded on him.

December 8, 2011 at 9:25 am |
  80. Caterpillar

There is something refreshing about the fact that The Cure was not inducted into the R&R HoF. I too listened to them incessantly in my youth, in large part, because they were different and were not main stream. Looking at the list of bands inducted over the years weighs heavily in the “popular band” category. I love that The Cure was not inducted! In a way they retain their obscurity and cult-like status. They deserve more credit for their unique artistic contributions to music than being inducted.

December 8, 2011 at 8:52 am |
    • Steve

You have a point. The moment the Hall of Fame goes the way all virtually every music award in existence, it will lose any and all credibility.

December 8, 2011 at 9:09 am |
  81. Matt

Why does it matter to anyone who gets in and who doesn't? The whole thing is a huge corporate joke anyway.

December 8, 2011 at 8:46 am |
    • elle

Completely agree, Matt. Maybe the only ones who really care more than that are the members of the bands, themselves... otherwise having the Cure pop up on my itunes every now and then is enough for me.

December 8, 2011 at 9:17 am |
  82. Adrian

RUSH (too many others have already commented), YES (prog rock, in general, is under represented), Stevie Ray Vaughan (who plays the guitar with so much power and soul??), Chicago (listen to the first 5 albums or so – before Terry Kath lost it and then died), KISS. I love the idea of the R&R HOF, but when I see any article about a band, and it summarizes their accomplishments and notes that they are inducted in the HOF, it makes me wince a little. A lot of great bands aren't in the HOF and I think they should be. I think "Rolling Stone" magazine has its own head up it's own pooper most of the time. Madonna? Seriously? The woman is a genius, but not a musical one (which is not to say I don't like some of her songs) – I'd say she's the female equivalent of Gene Simmons. Insanely ambitious with some pop skill and tuned into what the people want to hear. That doesn't seem to click with a lot of other inductees, but there she is... I don't get it...

December 8, 2011 at 8:44 am |
    • DC

I agree 100% Adrian. No band deserves to be in th HOF more than Rush. Until they are in, I don't consider it a HOF. I also agree with your point about Rolling Stone. I recently ran into an old article they published back in the day that listed the 100 best albums of the 1980's. There was not a single Rush album on the list! No Moving Pictures (in my opinion one of the bests rock albums EVER, let alone in the 80's), no Grace Under Pressure, no Signals, nothing!! But who else did that list include? Boy George! Are you freakin' kidding me? What a joke! I'll never subscribe to that waste of paper again. Nor will I ever be visiting the so called HOF.

December 8, 2011 at 9:17 am |
    • Chicago Fan

I am definitely there with you on Chicago – their sound was like no other, and their accomplishments are really unmatched. But the selection committee can't seem to get past their horns or love ballads of the Peter Cetera 1980s. They are being very short-sighted, or they are afraid Chicago will soften their "edgy" selections.

December 8, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  83. BOBBY

The Cure are the band when i hear them no bring me right back to college, 1987, in the basement of my fraternity with all those wild beautiful girls dancing and drinking coors light, you just knew something good was going to happen, and it almost always did, Pictures of You is my fave and always played towards the end of the party...i would go back in a heartbeat and they still bring me back...for a moment today. They'll get in...no doubt

December 8, 2011 at 8:43 am |
    • TJ

Hopefully the band No Doubt is never inducted. lol

December 8, 2011 at 8:55 am |
      • BOBBY

sorry for this joke but no doubt, totally agree.

December 8, 2011 at 9:05 am |
  84. SameGenre

The beyond fantastic, masterful Australian art/alt/prog rock band THE CHURCH should be inducted as well!

December 8, 2011 at 8:41 am |
    • BOBBY

OH YA, read my post above...the church brings me to the same place..how bout THE THE and OMD. these are not NEW WAVE bands at all.

December 8, 2011 at 8:48 am |
      • Denise

How about Echo and The Bunnymen and Bauhaus?

December 8, 2011 at 9:10 am |
  85. Al

The Small Faces got in. Totally undderated band who were in the forefront of Mod music. Also West Ham supporters!

I think given time the Cure will get in. Not my cup of tea at all, but they were impactful in rnr music.

December 8, 2011 at 8:39 am |
    • BOBBY

Ya small faces had to make it...youtube the cure "Charlotte Sometimes" and rethink the band.

December 8, 2011 at 8:46 am |
      • Ben

No way the Faces/Small Faces should be in. Don't get me wrong. I like them and they had HoFamer type members. But what really is the critieria for being in the RRHoF? What gets them in before Rush, Tull, Yes, KISS, The Cure, Judas Priest, SRV, etc? They don't have longevity. They don't have the record sales. They were a nitsch band and they were great, but if that is what gets them in, then there are tons of other bands that should get in before them.

December 8, 2011 at 10:18 am |
  86. MrSatyre

The R&RHoF has become utterly meaningless as a showcase of talent. Its ruling party dictates nominees and entrants based solely on their personal biases. It has become bloated beyond belief to the point that they might as well just induct all bands and be done with it.

December 8, 2011 at 8:39 am |
  87. Randy Grifiths

I will never buy a ticket to see that place until Rush is in. This has gone beyond ludicrous.

December 8, 2011 at 8:37 am |
    • SameGenre

I hear RUSH keeps rejecting offers to be inducted! Remember, their fan base grew without much commercialization of the band during their incipient years.

December 8, 2011 at 8:39 am |
      • MrSatyre

Rush has been adamant that they don't really care any longer one way or the other, but they have never rejected an offer to be inducted. How could they, anyway? If I decide to induct you into my own hall of fame, whether you want to be there or not is, frankly, irrelevant. You can refuse the use of your copyrighted name and materials and refuse to provide personal items for display purposes in my museum, but you have no say over whether or not I have you on my list of inductees.

December 8, 2011 at 8:43 am |
      • PaulDHudson

Black Sabbath said they wouldn't accept a nomination becasue they were overlooked for so long. They were nominated, elected about 5 years ago.

December 8, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • BOBBY

It cost like 50 bucks to get in and it aint that great. RUSH will get in.

December 8, 2011 at 8:50 am |
  88. JoJo

The HOF is crap anyway. They induct rap bands. Noone should pay any attention to this crap. It's a moneymaking ratings farce. If I was in one of those bands I'd tell them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

December 8, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  89. Mark

Deep Purple, Rush, KISS, Cheap Trick, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, and Ronnie James Dio are artists who have never even been nominated for this thing. Whether you like the music or not, their contributions to the music industry can't be denied. The Hall is a disgrace to anybody who knows anything about music.

December 8, 2011 at 8:33 am |
    • SameGenre

Abso-posi-lutely! All the great bands you mention should have been inducted a long time ago! I keep hearing that RUSH does NOT want to be inducted, and may have gotten informal offers to be.... does anyone know if there is truth to this? I also hear the Gene Simmons wants a monetary cut from the Rock Hall for any KISS related merchandise sold there? Any truth to this? Please post links. Thanks!

December 8, 2011 at 8:37 am |
      • Randy Grifiths

If Gene Simmons retains rights to KISS merch, he would get a cut of it.

December 8, 2011 at 8:39 am |
      • Cmow

hah. wouldnt not be surprised that Gene Simmons would want a cut somehow. If he's not peddling his lame life on reality tv, he's peddling his lame opinions on stage with a speaking performance. they should induct KISS minus Gene.

December 8, 2011 at 8:53 am |
  90. AmericanSunrise

What about Duran Duran? They've been playing for over 30-years now – have sold close to
    100-million records. They are cited as a MAJOR influence by bands such as: Maroon 5, Sugar Ray, etc. etc. MTV would not be what it is, or rather was, if it wasn't for Duran Duran. I agree that The Cure should be inducted, but there are also many other 1980's bands, and performers who should be inducted too. Another one – Tina Turner! Yes, she's been inducted with her ex-husband Ike, but she also was a major solo force during the 1980's and 90's. Not to mention that only 3-years ago, she mounted a SOLD OUT 50th Anniversary tour. I think something is really wrong the the nomination process for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

December 8, 2011 at 8:32 am |
    • Brian

Because Duran Duran was crappy knockoff pop electronic band. They took what was good about Depeche Mode and then murdered it and repackaged it for 14 year old girls. The bands that it influence, like Maroon 5, follow the same exact model and should never be considered actually artists.

December 8, 2011 at 8:51 am |
      • klander24

Spoken like someone who is clearly NOT familiar with any of Duran Duran's body of work outside of "Hungry Like the Wolf."

December 8, 2011 at 8:56 am |
      • Rich

Um, no...Duran Duran were a key figure in the New Romantic movement in the early 1980s. Sure, they had model looks, but it was their music–a hybird of Chic, Bowie and the New York Dolls–that made them one of the finest new wave acts of that era. To even compare them with Depeche Mode (another band I love) is so smacking of ignorance it's breathtaking.

Methinks Brian probably wasn't even born when the band's second album "Rio" was released.

December 8, 2011 at 9:04 am |
      • Steve

Duran Duran was a great band. All of them actually played very well and were NOT a "pop electronic Band". You don't know music very well for making that assumption. Go back and listen to their first 4 albums. You want a band you can label as poppy electronic... Thompson Twins! Horrible music.

December 8, 2011 at 9:08 am |
      • David Johansen

Well, I won't get into the DD debate, but I just have to interject that they have absolutely no signs of being influenced by the New York Dolls.

December 8, 2011 at 9:35 am |
    • Andrea M

I'll totally go to the mat any day for Duran Duran, but thank god they're NOT in the HOF! You have to be a has-been with your career either dead or on a steady decline and Duran Duran simply are not. All You Need is Now is an amazing album, the Girl Panic video has topped 4 million hits on Vevo, and they're playing arena gigs all over the planet to fantastic reviews. Granted they have shot enough holes in their collective foot to qualify them as a wall in Compton, (Arcadia/Power Station, Medazzaland, Red Carpet Massacre, etc.) but somehow they keep soldiering on and pulling out surprises. It's really obvious that they're as excited about their current situation as they were in the early 80's, but they have way more wisdom and clearer heads now. Their foot was once again grazed by a bullet over the summer (Simon's voice disappearing) but they're absolutely stronger now. Simon sounds better than ever, John still has fantastic hair, Roger still has that sort of James Dean look, and Nick still proudly puts on his eyeliner every day. As undeniably influential as they are, Duran Duran are clearly a band NOT ready to be placed in a glass case and I truly hope they never will be.

December 8, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  91. Brent Stewart

The Cure are great and will get their due in time, but I think it's worth pointing out that the Chili Peppers also spoke to an ardent group of misfits and freaks. There was definitely an outsider vibe to their early work, and I personally related to their willfully oddball psychedelic funk weirdness in a market that was ruled by hair metal. "Nobody Weird Like Me", indeed.

It's also worth pointing out that while R.E.M. were the vanguard of the "college rock" movement, the Chili Peppers and the Cure stood hand in hand in that wave as well. In fact, I have distinct memories of looking at a Columbia House Record Club subscription form as a child, and after each genre they listed examples. One was "college rock" (which would later become "Alternative Rock") and the two examples given? The Cure, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

So, I'm sure that the Cure will get their moment in the sun, but the Chili Peppers are equally as worthy.

Now, let's talk about the real crimes: no New York Dolls, no XTC...

December 8, 2011 at 8:32 am |
    • Arch

Agreed. Saying that RHCP were just frat rock is a major mischaracterization. I'm not a big fan but they definitely attracted more than their share of misfits and freaks, they just looked different than the Cure's misfits and freaks. I don't think you can hold them up as an example of what's wrong with the HOF (there are plenty of other totally valid choices).

December 8, 2011 at 10:04 am |
  92. From the Soapbox

You devoted bandwidth to a complaint about Cure's musical genre? Really? The Cure isn't Rock anyway. Yes, there are other acts in the Hall of Fame which weren't patently Rock, but the Cure isn't either. I'd also offer that despite record sales, the Chili Peppers haven't recorded a decent, listenable album since Mother's Milk. Listen to 'Subway to Venus', compared to their ballad-laden offerings recently. Worlds apart.

Maybe you could have mentioned that Sisters of mercy ought to have been nominated for the Hall of Fame too. . . . .

December 8, 2011 at 8:31 am |
    • nosepicker

The Sisters of Mercy were unique and appropriate for their time but how long were they around? I love Lucricia and This Corrosion and some of their other songs but Robert Smith is a great musical composer and lyricist....I thinks that is why they have been around so long. I agree with you....RHCP had a different sound and appealed to more main stream rock stations. The Cure had some mainstream hits but they are not rock...I have been a fan of theirs since 1984 and would not put them in the rock genre.

December 8, 2011 at 9:04 am |
  93. frankenChunks

Who is the ugly Old Twawtt?

December 8, 2011 at 8:31 am |
    • nosepicker

Lead singer of the British band The Cure...dude made more cash in a year than you will in a lifetime, even if he looks ugly.

December 8, 2011 at 9:06 am |
    • corey

It's the actor playing the Joker in the new batman flick..can't remember his name...Robert something or other...

December 8, 2011 at 10:25 am |
  94. ry290

Even though I cannot stand Geddy Lee's voice, there's no question that Rush should be in...

December 8, 2011 at 8:30 am |
    • SameGenre

Geddy's voice grows on you. It is so organic, natural, and heartfelt, it cannot be denied! LOL

December 8, 2011 at 8:33 am |
      • ry290

lol, i'm all about second chances!

December 8, 2011 at 8:40 am |
      • Nick

There's nothing organic about nasal driven high pitched wailing

December 9, 2011 at 3:55 am |
    • Uncle Owen

I hated Rush for the longest time simply because I couldn't stand their fans ("Neil Peart is the best f***king drummer OF ALL TIME" gets old), but as a bassist, I inevitably got drawn in by Geddy Lee's ridiculous talent and am now unashamed to be one of those super annoying Rush fans. But I still think Danny Carey could destroy Neil Peart any day... if you don't know who he is, check him out.

December 8, 2011 at 9:13 am |
      • ry290

Oh, I've checked him out...all 5 albums. Tool will probably be in the HOF in the future....if they start allowing progressive rock bands in, that is.

December 8, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • Arch

Exactly. I respect their talent and hard work but I can't stand their music. There is just something about his voice that sends me into fits of violent rage.

December 8, 2011 at 10:07 am |
  95. Kay

What difference does it make who's in or not, really? Does a band get its profits or sales taken away if they're not inducted? Do they have to give back their gold or platinum records? Are their albums taken out of stores and off the internet?

Things like this are obviously subjective, people's favorites are always going to get left out and in the end it doesn't really matter. People like who they like, their first question usually isn't, "Oh, wow, I love this music! Are they in the R&RHoF? No? Oh, well, then, I guess I can't like them or buy their stuff..."

December 8, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  96. grant

I will not be visiting the R&R HOF until Hawkwind is inducted. I can live with that.

December 8, 2011 at 8:26 am |
  97. Deb

It's about the music and fans, not the HOF! I'm a new fan of the Cure, just having started a family during their heyday and had no time. But I'm buying their music now, and will continue to buy anything they put out. And as for the HOF? Except for the TV thing, who knows whosE in it anyway unless you go there? And if I'm going to take a vacation, I AINT' going the CLEVELAND...

December 8, 2011 at 8:25 am |
  98. James D. Chamberlain

I gues we needed, 30 years ago, to have understood and embraced the fact that, if one decides to go the route of the enigma, one should be prepared for all that comes with it. The Red Hot Chili Peppers (whom I photographed for GoldenVoice Records, when they were just starting out), speak to a passion and even agression that we ALL (when we are honest with ourselves) identify with on some level. They have worked hard and remained in the lime light. Nature takes it's course. P.S. Thank you for losing the skinny pants and rebok high tops Robert, the hair and lipstick was quite enough.

December 8, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  99. SameGenre

Yes, the Cure should be in. Great band. However, the comparison with the Chili Peppers being inducted is off. Both bands deserve to be inducted, and both are alt rock greats. However, the huge outrage is that acts like The Beastie Boys, RUN DMC, Madonna, etc. are in, while rock royalty like KISS, RUSH, YES, TULL, have been glossed over! To a rock fan, this is outrageous and makes absolutely NO sense!

December 8, 2011 at 8:22 am |
    • mo

The Grammy's are a freakin' horror as well.

December 8, 2011 at 9:09 am |
  100. Rusty Shackleford

eh, I've had bands that have "saved my life" as well, and while I think they are an excellent band that are well-liked far and wide, I'm not really mad that they haven't even been so much as considered for the RnR HoF. The bands that are going in deserve it, regardless of whether or not they are my favorites.

December 8, 2011 at 8:19 am |