Boys don’t cry – even when they get snubbed for funky party rockers
December 7th, 2011

Boys don’t cry – even when they get snubbed for funky party rockers

The Cure saved my life. When I was a strange, bullied, sensitive and deeply depressed teenager in the late 1980s, lead singer Robert Smith’s weird, smeared beauty and bloody-voiced yowls were among the few glimmers of a world outside the one where my existence seemed less than entirely welcomed.

Though the band’s 35-year catalogue is often ghettoized as Goth (which they wholeheartedly dispute) and characterized as gloomy and morbid, a glimpse past the cursory reveals a sunny, romantic, terminally goofball side. Wild mood swings from staccato, near expressionless punk to happy, trippy, manic bliss to raging, gut-cutting nihilism are The Cure’s stock in trade, and with each new offering, fans’ appetites are whet.

Back in my basement-dwelling days, I had no inkling that I’d someday be listening to The Cure in the company of another living soul – let alone my future husband, certainly not the tens of thousands of fans singing along with every word at a sold-out Madison Square Garden show several years back, or the smaller, arguably more ardent crowd who fought tooth and nail to score seats at the six U.S. shows where The Cure played their first three (definitely not chart-topping) albums in order last month.

That’d be why so many of us were heard collectively howling into the wind on Wednesday when it was announced that The Cure was passed over for induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in favor of the likes of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It is not up to me to denigrate anyone else’s fandom. We all like what we like, and over at my other gig as editor of CNN’s food blog Eatocracy, we’re fond of saying “If it tastes good, it IS good.”

Plenty of people have had excellent experiences with the Chili Peppers; I’m not one of them. They were never mine in any meaningful way.

In the same way that a Cure song played at a party in college bat-signaled to me that I was in a place among my people, drunk dudes air-jamming to “Knock Me Down” or making white boy bass face to “Give It Away” tended to send me looking for my coat. I indeed was not on their uplift mofo party plan, though it seemed like the rest of the world was down for a funky, funky time.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have received seven Grammy awards and sold around 70 million records. The Cure have had one Grammy nomination and sold roughly a third of that. That’s certainly millions more than most, but still, though I am a well-adjusted adult with plenty of friends and a distinctly nonsubterranean existence, there’s something about the Hall of Fame snub that sort of wounds me. The cool kids win again, and the weirdos are left skulking in the dark.

It’s OK, I tell myself. From angst comes really freaking gorgeous art, and there’s always next year, or even several from now. It’s not like they’re gonna stop making depressed teenagers any time soon, and on the day they finally do get inducted, it’ll be extra icing sugar sweet. Probably something just like heaven.

1. Kendo

The mere existence of the HOF is a commercial slap in the face to the entire part of music that is Artistry. If it weren't for the building they can sell tickets to there would be no point in even having such a thing. The true monuments to musicianship are the Jim Morrison graves, the people making pilgrimages to Abbey Road, the joy of finally seeing a show at the 40 Watt. I for one don't need a bunch of other people to tell me which bands are worthwhile, and something tells me Robert Smith doesn't either.

December 8, 2011 at 8:15 am |
    • SameGenre

You make good points, however the Rock Hall should be more a museum, where fans can physically see artifacts and memorabilia of these bands. Not an organization that 'inducts' bands based on the ridiculous whims of insider votes and tastes. Actually, they should let the public vote online in some fashion.

December 8, 2011 at 8:26 am |
    • PostPunk

You are right. The concept of a "Hall of fame" is kind of a jock thing. Artists are about expression not glory.

December 9, 2011 at 7:22 am |
  2. Nancy

Very well written, Kat! I'm often dissapointed in societies choice of popularity over something that is truely genuine, no matter what it is. This is just another example of that.

December 8, 2011 at 8:15 am |
  3. jack

The rock and roll hall of fame is a joke. Simple as that.

December 8, 2011 at 8:14 am |
    • BAX

Agree.

December 8, 2011 at 8:20 am |
  4. RockGod

Simple fact that KISS is not be inducted in the hall of shame shows that it is a joke and has no legitimacy at all. Come on, 40 year career, millions of albums sold, influenced a generation of kids and some of the greatest musicians of our time state them as a major influence.

December 8, 2011 at 8:11 am |
  5. Michel LeGrisbi

Since when has anyone let their musical taste be dictated by a "Hall of Fame"?

December 8, 2011 at 8:09 am |
  6. Ted

This whole HOF is a sham, smoke without fire, no heat, smoke on the water you might say.

December 8, 2011 at 8:00 am |
    • Purnell Meagre

You're right – a Rock HOF is like an anarchist club. I once joined an anarchist club but got thrown out for following the rules.

December 8, 2011 at 8:07 am |
      • PostPunk

Thanks for that! I'm going to be using that one!

December 9, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  7. Jason

I was about 15 (circa 1986) when I first heard The Cure. As a suburban WASP-child they (and their fans) scared the crap out of me. Later I began to understand their talent and appreciate their music so much more. Disintegration is SO good. Then yesterday I was looking at The Police's box set and there is a picture of a playbill with The Police and The Cure sharing the stage – in 1979. These guys are legends. HOF? Maybe, maybe not, but definately in the conversation.

December 8, 2011 at 7:59 am |
  8. Ted

Cure rocks, ever since "a Forest" I'm hooked, but for that matter, the Smiths, Rush and Deep Purple belong on the A list also.
    Alas, it's all about the money boys, talent has less to do with it, so give it away now, commercial music takes first place..

December 8, 2011 at 7:57 am |
  9. Halsey

How about Grand Funk Railroad. They had how many gold and platinum albums? They also sold out Shea stadium twice faster than any other band. yes even the Beatles. They were the premier rock band in the late 60's and early 70's. And they still rock today.

December 8, 2011 at 7:51 am |
  10. B

Nope. Sorry. Anything AFTER "The Head On The Door" stunk. Radio friendly Cure....ugh.

December 8, 2011 at 7:51 am |
    • Deb

I agree. The head on the Dooris brilliant.A Night Like this is my total FAVE.

December 8, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  11. Brian

As long as Rush isn't in the Hall of Fame, the HOF is trash in my opinion. INDUCT RUSH INTO THE HALL OF FAME!

December 8, 2011 at 7:51 am |
    • Alan

There is no better band then RUSH – they should have been inducted the first day!

December 8, 2011 at 8:02 am |
    • kelly

Considering the whole world EXCEPT you knows that Rush has consistantly turned the HOF down for induction, ergo..they will never be in!

December 8, 2011 at 8:08 am |
    • Working Man

Amen. Rush all the way.

December 8, 2011 at 8:26 am |
    • SameGenre

Agreed about RUSH! They ARE 'rock royalty', along with KISS and YES!

December 8, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  12. JPX

I completely agree, The Cure is one of the best bands of all time. It's shameful that their legacy is ignored in favor of bands that can't compete with them. From their unique sound to their fantastic concerts it's unconscionable to me that they get passed over. One only has to turn on the radio to realize that the current music landscape is littered with garbage.

December 8, 2011 at 7:50 am |
  13. Andrew

Many bands deserve this before RHCP, but they did get dicked by Sesame Street.

December 8, 2011 at 7:50 am |
  14. Paul

RUSH and KISS not in the HOF makes this whole thing a massive BAD Joke . How many kids around the world had their eyes opened to music and Rock and Roll by those two bands .. Millions..... How many modern day bands count RUSH and KISS as MAJOR influences in their musical careers? Countless... The Chili's and Beasties VERY deserving inductees , but WOW , how are RUSH and KISS not FIRST BALLOT type entrees..... Total insanity by whoever votes for this @HIT !

December 8, 2011 at 7:47 am |
    • SameGenre

Indeed you are correct! I keep hearing though that RUSH turns down offers of induction. Is this true? Links anyone?

December 8, 2011 at 8:29 am |
  15. topaz114

If you're a fan of the Cure, you should know by now that majority of the best and most unique bands, musicians, vocalists, & lyricists never get recognized by the commercial world. I've come to learn that if they've made it big on the radio, then they might have compromised some aspect of their music to appease the producers/industry anyway. That's true of a lot of the bands I love, especially the band Ours.

December 8, 2011 at 7:47 am |
  16. Brian

All I have to say is One, very well written piece. Two, I have been to a zillion live shows and the RHCP were one of the worst live performances I ever seen. Oh, and trust me, they re NOT the "cool kids" band, they are the band for kids who THINK they are cool. The cool kids always listened to Rush around here.

December 8, 2011 at 7:46 am |
    • greg

^ haha great comment. RHCP are awful live, and haven't been relevant since One Hot Minute (1996). Flea isn't the "prolific bassist he is made out to be. You know who is? GEDDY LEE!!! Rush was the greatest live show I've ever seen (jones beach, NY 2004ish)

December 8, 2011 at 8:14 am |
    • Chris B.

Brian – the cool kids listened to Rush where you are from? Where – or when – on earth would that be?

December 8, 2011 at 8:21 am |
      • greg

Rush has sold 40 million records, had more consecutive gold and platinum records than everyone except the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Cool kids don't listen to Rush? They must of they have those kinds of numbers. What planet are YOU from, good sir?

December 8, 2011 at 8:29 am |
  17. RonnieLee

The problem with the hall is the people who control the nominating process. They need to take it away from the Rolling Stone magazinesque, musical snob dweebs who currently hold it, and pass it off to someone who is willing to put their own musical tastes aside, and nominate those bands that are truly worthy of enshriment. It's really not who gets in. I don't have a problem with the acts that have been enshrined. It's the glaring ommissions that are borderline criminal. Like them or not, Rush and Kiss are two of the most successful bands in the genre, and their impact on rock music cannot be denied. Both should have been in years ago. There are other glaring ommissions, such as Jethro Tull and Yes, etc. The only reason these bands are not in is because the people who control the nominating process simply don't like them, and are unwilling to put their own musical tastes aside and recognize these bands that truly deserve to be in. It's a shame, really.

December 8, 2011 at 7:44 am |
  18. Erin

Because I can't believe no one has posted it yet:
    "Disintegration" is the best album ever!

December 8, 2011 at 7:41 am |
  19. SpiderWoman4

Jann Wenner, owner, publisher and editor of Rolling Stone Magazine, runs the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and makes the final decision as to who is inducted ...... along with his Rolling Stone Magazine cronies. You don't like who is inducted/who is left out? Stop buying Rolling Stone Magazine. Oh ..... wait a minute ..... you already have.

December 8, 2011 at 7:33 am |
  20. Mikey D

So you liked the Cure? Big deal! I think they suck. Everything is subjective, including who get into the hall of fame. Suck it up and quit whining.

December 8, 2011 at 7:33 am |
    • Ted

You are right, everythings subjective, look at me, I think you suck, though you might arguably disagree.

December 8, 2011 at 7:51 am |
    • corey

I remember that whining is what cure fans do best.

December 8, 2011 at 8:13 am |
  21. OhGetSomethingToDo

What is a HALL OF FAME and why is it so important that your favorite ANYTHING is part of one? Enjoy reminiscing about the soundtrack of your life, worship the idols you want to worship but don't expect that others want to worship them in the same way. There are more important things to worry about.

December 8, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  22. Caiha

RHCP deserves it. That doesn't mean the Cure doesn't, but RHCP deserves it. If you don't think so, it's because you're so wrapped up in your own subjective that you can't see the struggle and angst that's behind their music. In other words, really listen to it. Deep down, under the party exterior, you can see it. They're not them, they're us. Now Flea completely lacks any ability for introspection, and he may be the "leader" but he's not the heart and soul.

December 8, 2011 at 7:26 am |
  23. By-Tor

RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH... Need I say more?

December 8, 2011 at 7:19 am |
    • Run4DaHills

Abso-f'n-lutely. RUSH; brilliant musicians.

December 8, 2011 at 7:41 am |
  24. Michael Hunt

When I hear every year that the MOODY BLUES and YES are not in the hall, I get sickened. Add RUSH to that mix and it's evident the bias is glaring.

December 8, 2011 at 7:17 am |
  25. Michael Hunt

I get sickened every year when I hear that the MOODY BLUES and YES are not in the hall. Add RUSH to that mix and the bias is glaring.

December 8, 2011 at 7:15 am |
    • Alan

It is all politics, RUSH never kissed the asses of the record companys or radio stations so this is their pay back for not conforming.

December 8, 2011 at 8:05 am |
  26. mike

agreed... Rush should be in there... and Jethro Tull! how in the world is Guns N Roses going in there, but Tull is not in there!?

December 8, 2011 at 7:11 am |
    • kenny v.

i agree!! rush ,tull both

December 8, 2011 at 7:35 am |
    • ry290

you mean how did GNR not get in sooner...lol

December 8, 2011 at 8:12 am |
    • Aqualung

TULL!!

December 8, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
    • Aqualung

Robert Smith and the boys in San Sebastian (Donostia), 1986. Pure bliss!!!

December 8, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  27. mike

Red hot chili peppers = way overrated and really not that interesting.

the cure, while not exactly my cup of tea, is a far more interesting band than the peppers.

December 8, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  28. Ben

Rush not in = Hall of Fame is meaningless nonsense

December 8, 2011 at 7:01 am |
    • By-Tor

Rush is the greatest band EVER. I have By-Tor and the Snowdog down pat on air drums!

December 8, 2011 at 7:14 am |
  29. Area Mann

good article. The Cure was never had the widespread appeal of RHCP (who absolutely deserve the recognition) but The Cure had much more influence, musically and artistically and every other way.

December 8, 2011 at 6:50 am |
  30. billy jester

IAN HUNTER & MOTT THE HOOP:E!!!!

December 8, 2011 at 6:48 am |
  31. Sandra

Certainly is very disappointed again from this Hall of Fame, to me is all about business and money nothing about what should really matters witch is TALENT, nothing against Red Hot Chilli Pepper, but I won't be surprised If Justin Bieber gets before any other REAL TALENT BAND, THE CURE 4EVER!!

December 8, 2011 at 6:47 am |
  32. Riley

One name. Rush. The HOF is not one until they are included. Been there, not going back until the Holy Triumvirate get their desert for their soup! Cheers!

December 8, 2011 at 6:47 am |
    • Billy

AMEN!!! Not only are they one of the most original and influential bands but as a drummer Neal Peart has inspired me and thousands of other fellow persussionist to pick up the trade.

December 8, 2011 at 7:01 am |
      • Melanie

I think Neal Pert is the best Drummer EVER!!!! – to me anyway. When I listen to Rush, I just get lost in his drumming, everything else is secondary.

December 8, 2011 at 7:44 am |
  33. purnellmeagrejr

Sorry, I couldn't get past the first paragraph – thanks a lot Robert Smith for saving this person's life.

December 8, 2011 at 6:42 am |
  34. V01D

I have a similar relationship to The Cure's music, actually one nearly identical to the opening paragraph of this article.

However, I think there's something more important to be said about their denial of induction. Their music gave me (and from the sounds of it, the author) hope that I didn't require anyone's approval but my own, and only strengthened my resolve to be whoever I felt like being. That sentiment applies equally to the Hall of Fame's refusal to induct The Cure. Regardless of their popularity and the accolades it may or may not bring them, their music means that much more to the awkward, sad and confused youth of my past. This is exactly how it should be. Thank you Robert Smith.

December 8, 2011 at 6:39 am |
  35. reno88

the reason the cure aren't in the HOF is because they're a terrible band. that's not to say all other entrants are great – clearly there are some dogs with membership.

December 8, 2011 at 6:35 am |
    • Chris B.

Nuh-uh – YOUR band sux!

December 8, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  36. jonny

It *is* possible to love the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Cure, you know. Both were a big part of my musical life.

December 8, 2011 at 6:35 am |
    • indiarichard

I agree. I'd love to see the Cure in the HoF and I think they are somewhat more deserving then the RHCP, artistically speaking. But I grew up listining to both and really enjoy both at different times depending on my mood. Why can't you like both?

December 8, 2011 at 6:57 am |
  37. Chicago Fan

I have a very disappointing view of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and have for many years. Why? Because the person in charge of the voting makes the same comments about Chicago when brought up: "I don't know where to put them? Are they really rock or pop? And those horns. What is Chicago anyway?" She does it every year and then dismisses the fact that they are one of the MOST CELEBRATED Billboard rock groups ever. They are the first to ever have a top 40 album in 5 decades. And they are still releasing new stuff 44 years later! Oh, and about those things she says every year – they also apply to Earth, Wind, and Fire (horn section and all), and yet they are in there. And who does Earth, Wind, and Fire travel often with in major concerts – uh, that'd be CHICAGO!

But to really be personally frank, if I was Chicago, I don't think I would want to be enshrined along side Red Hot Chili Peppers (a simple side show gone wrong) or the Beastie Boys (and that is labeled Rock? This isn't bad Rap gone wrong Hall of Fame). So they are fine where they are at – enshrined by the most important shine. No, it isn't the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but the shrine of their fan's hearts.

December 8, 2011 at 6:31 am |
  38. Hal hilbert

The Cure is a great band and are worthy of some recognition. There's a chance that they can be inducted eventually. Neil Diamond didn't get in until last year and he's been amazing since the stone age. Besides the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame is a neat concept,but it's located in Ohio. So how cool can it really be. if they never get in, who cares? Many people still love them.

December 8, 2011 at 6:26 am |
  39. bwalters

Jethro Tull is the obvious, glaring omission. If there was a marketing HOF, then Kiss.

December 8, 2011 at 6:25 am |
  40. Tod

I believe 26% of Americans might have some paltry interest in the Rock n roll Hall of Fame, but the rest of the world doesn't care at all about some silly tourist attraction in the American Midwest. It's about as interesting as Rolling Stone magazine among Americans. The world of music is too wide for the world to care about just rock let alone rock n roll judged by American writers/judges or whatever body of voters it was who votes. Why don't you quiz some of these people to find out just how much they actually know about music in general, the history and development of music, and whether they know about the elements of music or composition. RHCP have been a fun band at times, but yeah, The Cure made much more interesting music... more dynamic, more adventurous, more varied, and yes, they are more influential, so this is like a conversation about the judgment of people whose judgment is suspect and whose decision might just be predicated upon something other than honesty.

December 8, 2011 at 6:11 am |
  41. Flooby

The Cure is the worst band EVER. They still haven't found a cure for sucking.

December 8, 2011 at 5:58 am |
  42. bfskinnerpunk

The Hall of Fame is for ultra-Icons (Elvis, Beatles, etc.) and the rest of the nominations are will nilly.
    Kiss? Oh man. Perhaps they had icon status, but theirs was purely music for 13 year olds.
    Red Hot Chilly Peppers were really something special and different in the mid-80's, but turned pop on us quickly.
    The Cure created an iconic sound in that era. I never listened closely to them... but it all sounded rather similar to me. It did create a soundtrack of sorts to my 80's life.

December 8, 2011 at 5:57 am |
  43. PostPunk

Robert really doesn't care. RnR hall of fame is a farce anyway. Anyone remember the pistols' response to their induction?
    Smokey Robinson made it in before the Beatles. So... there you go. It should be called the music hall of fame. Good luck Robert, you only invented the "alternative" genre. I guess that isn't Rock & Roll enough. "Now we're happy that now we're all the same, 'cause everybody's jumping everyone else's train"

December 8, 2011 at 5:44 am |
    • PostPunk

One more thing, the peppers are awful live.

December 8, 2011 at 5:46 am |
  44. Bemused

The continuing snub of Rush and Heart (the "Beatles" of the girl groups) must be a calculated marketing ploy to get people to pay attention to the RRHOF's questionable yearly choices...

December 8, 2011 at 5:40 am |
  45. Bubs

"Party rockers." Why don't you try listening to the chili peppers instead of judging them by some guys at a juvenile party you attended. The music is great, and they're at least as deserving as the Cure. You would have been much better suited restricting your article to the snub and not passive-aggressively tearing down another top notch band.

December 8, 2011 at 5:27 am |
  46. ID

The Beastie Boys are an incredible band with an extremely varied musical palette. They've released punk, reggae, rock, dub, hip hop, electronic and even lounge music. The album before last was an entirely instrumental record. They play their own instruments (well) and every album they release has a distinct sound–I really need to emphasize that, every album sounds different in tone and instrumentation. On top of that, they're incredible live performers and have a loyal fan base around the world. They've never compromised their sound and are massively influential. They certainly deserve recognition.

December 8, 2011 at 5:09 am |
  47. intrigued

Robert would be a good looking middle-aged man if he'd clean himself up a bit. Kinda reminds me of Phil Specter, determined to look like a goofball.

December 8, 2011 at 4:56 am |
  48. happedays

The Cure was one of the best bands of the 80s, They were not for evryone , only those who knew what new wave was, were the only ones who appreciated them , The cure will always be cool to me

December 8, 2011 at 4:56 am |
    • Boogiepop Phantom

Yes, but not for songs like Lovecats, In Between Days or Why Can't I Be You...more so for tracks like New Day (I think Rob hit some notes Geddy Lee could only aspire to), Carnage Visors, The Drowning Man, A Forest, The Kiss, The Same Deep Water As You, or From The Edge of the Deep Green Sea. Sorry, not a fan of their happy bits. But their melancholy...well it can't be beat. I was there in the 80s too.

December 8, 2011 at 5:25 am |
  49. Eddie

What is it with this guy. Halloween is over. You little buggers pay money to this guy?

December 8, 2011 at 4:38 am |
    • DJ RIck E

Yes, I would pay money to this guy cuz the music is great!

December 8, 2011 at 5:38 am |
  50. Rushman61

I agree Rush and Kiss both belong in the RRHOF but don't forget Emerson Lake and Palmer ( ELP) belongs too.

December 8, 2011 at 4:36 am |
    • William

Amen on ELP, but I hear the powers that be at the Hall (remember, nomination decisions are a closed process) do not want "progressive rock" bands. This leaves out the best musicians and most evolutionary works of the 1970's and 1980's...maybe someone should start a progressive rock hall of fame...or educate the managers of the Hall.

December 8, 2011 at 4:56 am |
    • Jerry

Agreed with Rush, ELP, how about King Crimson and Deep Purple too? And I thought Heart belonged this year as well.

December 8, 2011 at 5:21 am |
  51. LisaJFinesse

I hear ya, but I was so happy to find out Chili Peppers were inducted. I had the opposite experience; I never cared for The Cure, but Chili Peppers were one of the bands that did it for me. I don't remember how I got into them, though. I was a girl raised in the ghetto and neither my friends nor my family were into rock music, but I came to love the genre. I guess it was probably from watching music videos and checking out other radio stations when I got bored with the same old R&B music, and Chili Peppers were definitely one of my favorites. Now if only I can get my favorite band Hoobastank inducted...

December 8, 2011 at 4:14 am |
  52. Shazbat Nanu Nanu

The next big Rock Hall inductee will be...

Yo! MTV Raps

December 8, 2011 at 3:49 am |
  53. frankenChunks

Who is the old twawt?

December 8, 2011 at 3:47 am |
  54. Anita Bleaujob

The rock and roll HoF proves that they are irrelevant ever year. They continue to induct bands with little talent and ignore bands and artists that are head and shoulders above what they have.

December 8, 2011 at 3:44 am |
  55. Rudeboy

I wonder if The Misfits will ever be inducted.

December 8, 2011 at 3:33 am |
  56. R & B Power

As long as Kiss, Rush, Slayer, Dokken, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Def Leppard, and other wannabes are NEVER included in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, that will be good. Who needs clowns with make up from Detroit and Canadian Nerd Rock? Who needs heavy metal wannabes?

December 8, 2011 at 3:13 am |
    • MusicMan

Well as a matter of fact, Metallica was inducted about 5 fours ago..

December 8, 2011 at 3:29 am |
    • Shazbat Nanu Nanu

Yo, my homie R & B Power only listens to balls to the wall cool music that only tough guys listen to. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, s.luts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, d!ckheads – they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

December 8, 2011 at 3:30 am |
    • ry290

Heavy metal wannabees? (facepalm) You do know that Ozzy was in Black Sabbath, don't you? How can you be a 'metal wannabee' when you were a part of the beginning of metal? Hands down the most uneducated post on this board.

December 8, 2011 at 8:22 am |
  57. bkostors

I didn't realize Helena Bohnam Carter had gotten so old...

December 8, 2011 at 3:11 am |
    • Shazbat Nanu Nanu

Don't forget about the cat she's wearing on her head.

December 8, 2011 at 3:32 am |
    • IREMEMBERNEWWAVE

Oh, bkostors, you nailed that one! I guess he's sort of like the Donald-can't move past the trademark bad hair.

Still a HUGE Cure fan, though, despite the AARP card in my wallet.

December 8, 2011 at 7:40 am |
  58. Mike E

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has never had much credibility among the music world. I used to be mad that one band or another never gets nominated, but now I realize that even if all the bands they continually snub were to suddenly get awarded membership, it wouldn't make the place any more legitimate. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is sideshow attraction that you visit when you're passing through Cleveland and you have nothing better to do. It's like the alien museum in Roswell or the world's biggest ball of twine in Kansas.

December 8, 2011 at 3:09 am |
  59. meghan

fantastic article. the cure and RHCP both are terrible. try listening to some bands who truly will never make it into the RR hall of fame. the cure will have their day – as all mainstream bands do.

December 8, 2011 at 3:03 am |
  60. CB

Like one of the Rush members said: "Judging by who's in the Rock Hall of Fame, we're honored by not being in the Rock Hall of Fame".

December 8, 2011 at 2:56 am |
    • Shazbat Nanu Nanu

Wait, Grandmaster Flash and Run DMC aren't rock bands?

December 8, 2011 at 3:44 am |
  61. Joel D

I feel your pain. The jocks will ALWAYS win and the sensitive types like you and I will feel comfort with the greatest band in the world. Saw them at the Pantages last month....wow!

December 8, 2011 at 2:52 am |
  62. supertusken

I hate the chili peppers. could they write another song about how they;re so white and FuKy and from california? they suck. The Cure made art.

December 8, 2011 at 2:23 am |
  63. corey

WHAAAAAA! Typical that a cure lover is cry-babying. RRHOF is garbage until Kiss and Rush get their dues. Cry me a river.

December 8, 2011 at 2:15 am |
    • ian

implying that KISS is even a remotely talented band

December 8, 2011 at 2:31 am |
      • corey

No, i'm not implying that they "are" a talented band. They "were" a talented band. It's called rock and roll history...ya know.."rock and roll"? as in Rock and roll hall of fame?

December 8, 2011 at 2:34 am |
      • miss tang

Yeah, talented entrepreneurs who made millions on mediocre drivel. Showmen maybe, gifted musicians – not so much.

December 8, 2011 at 4:09 am |
  64. corey

WHAAAAAAA!

December 8, 2011 at 2:09 am |
  65. Ronaldo's Brother

The Cure being snubbed by the Hall of Fame actually makes the band...more cool. I almost want the band to get rejected every year by the HoF...simply because its music is too inigmatically affectionate to be recognized by a standard organization. This rejection is one of the greatest hoors that could be paid, for a band that is too sophisticated to be recognized.

December 8, 2011 at 2:08 am |
  66. SpiderWoman4

Why do people keep giving a rat's ass about the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame? People like Joni Mitchell and Neil Young never even turned up for their awards, realizing it for the joke it is. It's run by Jann Wenner and his Rolling Stone Magazine cronies .… you remember Rolling Stone Magazine ... the Rock magazine that has become a joke itself. It has no credibility. Neither does the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame. Be glad that your boys AREN'T being inducted.

December 8, 2011 at 1:54 am |
  67. Jones Foyer

Any band's inclusion or exclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will have absolutely no bearing on the enjoyment or how much listen to them. For a lot of people, they feel that popularity and sales are essential validation because they are insecure with their musical choices, they are being fed music by the major corporations and like to releive that uneasy feeling of being duped into buying that pop product by rubbing shoulders with people in the same boat. Part of the attraction of The Cure in their beginnings is that they sounded like no one else. Over the last couple of decades, the creativity has tapered off dramatically, and they've gone into some sort of autopilot, but their early work stands up well.

The Chili Peppers deserve the pop award for being so popular. Selling records, getting kids to watch their videos on MTV, and of course the all important commercials in between them.

Johnny Rotten famously rejected the same award because what it stood for. The punk in Robert should do the same with the mere nomination.

December 8, 2011 at 1:42 am |
  68. Paulo

CHILI PEPPERS > the cure
    The peppers have been around for a long time and have had two amazing guitar players, the first one who tragically died and then the amazing replacement who composed most of their well known hits. I used to hate the peppers growing up but it wasn't until i began playing guitar at 21 that I realized what an amazing band they are. Im sure the cure are a great band but the peppers are a world wide well known band. They deserve it.

December 8, 2011 at 1:40 am |
    • LisaJFinesse

Well said. I was so happy when Chili Peppers were inducted. They deserve it. And when I look at it musically, I appreciate even more, especially the talents of the bass player, Flea. I've never heard a bass player like that.

December 8, 2011 at 4:19 am |
  69. Karl

Robert Smith is starting to look like Betty White.

December 8, 2011 at 1:31 am |
    • intrigued

Have they ever been seen together? Hmmmm....

December 8, 2011 at 4:49 am |
  70. RedPenguin

Why are many of you making comparisons between rock acts? How does the inclusion of, in this case, The Red Hot Chili Peppers have anything to do with the omission of The Cure? Each band should be judged on their own merits - not what other bands have done or haven't done. The problem facing The Cure, and someone mentioned this earlier, is the fact that "Rolling Stone" writers who have all but entirely ignored bands who saw their best years in the 80s or very early 90s, but for very few exceptions. (U2, REM, Van Halen,Pearl Jam, Nirvana - and most of those attached themselves to left wing political causes which evidently earn "bonus points" with voters.)

The problem The Cure may very well be facing is that they are very much a schtick band that has shown virtually no evolution in their sound. That's not to say their music isn't enjoyable. It is. But the sound of today is the sound of 20 years ago.

December 8, 2011 at 1:23 am |
    • JP

Agree with your statement that each band should go in on it own merits. BUT The Cure has an ever evolving sound. I think your mistaking the way Robert sings or something but with so many line up changes over the years its hard to say that they have not "evolved". They seem to push themselves musically into areas they have not done before. 3 piece band to keyboards and horns then back to just guitars. Maybe you should know a little more than your 2 min wiki readings...

December 8, 2011 at 1:49 am |
    • LisaJFinesse

I agree with you. This makes me think of my other favorite bands that I appreciate because of the changes in their sound. For example, Goo Goo Dolls' sound in the eighties is way different from their sound when they became a mainstream band, but I liked them better when they changed. Now, each CD of their's has a different flow. Each of Hoobastank's CDs have a different sound, but I asolutely love all of them. I only hate it when the and's sound changes for the worse, like Train.

I was an A1 fan of Train's first two CDs because they had a unique sound that no other band of any genre was putting out, but by the time their thrid CD came out, I could tell it wouldn't be long before they would cross over completely into pop music, and that is exactly what they did on their fourth and fifth CDs. When I tell people I'm a Train fan, I have to specify that I am a fan of their earlier music because I can't stand to listen to watered-down, cookie-cutter, pre-packaged pop music. Pat Monahan's vocals are wonderful, but the music backing him up can barely be called music.

Anyway, my point is that changes in a bands music can be good, showing how versatile the band is. It doesn't have to mean that they are abandoning their sound (like Train did), but that they have many styles under their belt to appeal to a wider audience.

December 8, 2011 at 4:29 am |
  71. Jason Eaton

I adore The Cure ( http://www.makmodeler.com/?p=2196 ) and this doesn't bother me at all... probably because I suspected that the Chili Peppers would "win". It is how the world always was, and always will be. It caters to the lowest common denominator.

RE the Smiths – also be sure to check out the Smiths Recycle bloodspot called "Extra Track and a Tacky Badge" – VITAL for replacing those scratchy old 7 and 12 inchers....

December 8, 2011 at 1:08 am |
  72. JJH3

Oh, and the first thought that popped into my mind when I opened up this page :
    "Who is the crazy old lady?"

December 8, 2011 at 1:07 am |
  73. JJH3

The Cure aren't anywhere near as talented as the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'm not even a fan of the Chili Peppers, but recognize that Flea has more talent than all of The Cure combined. There are so many more great musicians out their, but it comes down to one thing. This is a "Hall of Fame" and is driven by "Fame", therefore Pop Culture. RHCP is much more ingrained in US pop culture than the Cure ever will be.

December 8, 2011 at 1:06 am |
  74. Allison B.

Until Elvis Presley and The Beatles are enshrined into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame then nobody should be put in!!!! And I mean that!!!!!!

December 8, 2011 at 12:59 am |
  75. AJ

Kiss, Rush and Judas Priest were all far more successful than The Cure, and more influential on their genre of music, and they haven't even been NOMINATED!

Meanwhile, Donna Summer got her third crack at it, and Chaka Khan was on the list this year.

Hard rock gets screwed far more than any other genre by the hall. Yeah, I know GnR made it, but that really just seems like the token nod in the hard rock direction that is given about every two or three years.

December 8, 2011 at 12:47 am |
  76. Mother73

As much as I may disagree with the rock and roll hall of fame, I doubt Robert Smith is all that crushed. He always put out "fringe" music. Not sure I ever see a movement to add The Smiths, Siouxie, or Joy division (which was the first reference EVER to "goth".....which is why Robert Smith didn't like the association. So ultimately, not all that shocked, or concerned.

December 8, 2011 at 12:43 am |
    • The_Mod

I agree...

The Smiths, The Cure, New Order and R.E.M are way better than The Peppers, Janes, Social Distortion etc....

December 8, 2011 at 1:05 am |
      • Luis

True..

December 8, 2011 at 1:16 am |
    • JJH3

Fringe music? When? The 80s maybe, but not by today's standard at all. Go listen to some technical death metal, Djent, or Dub Step, then tell me The Cure are fringe music.

December 8, 2011 at 1:11 am |
      • Mother73

the only reason you hear radio play of the cure on the love the 80's formats now is because of the age of the people putting together the musical format. head on the door was certainly not getting radio play in the 80's unless you were west coast listening to kroq. or listening to college radio.

December 8, 2011 at 2:30 am |
  77. Mike84

All i got to say is Rush their not in the whole thing a joke

December 8, 2011 at 12:41 am |
  78. Lillian

Come on now...let's face it, The Cure may have been good at one time, but they haven't had a decent album since 1992. There are far more deserving bands who were passed over for induction than the band that has become Robert Smith's vanity project.

December 8, 2011 at 12:30 am |
    • Jeff

The peppers haven't had a relevant album since 91. Anthony Kiedis lyrics are laughable at best. Robert Smith is a visionary.

December 8, 2011 at 12:40 am |
    • Mother73

should bands be evaluated on simply their on merit, or should influence be considered?

December 8, 2011 at 12:44 am |
  79. 51504vh

OMG ... did i just read this right .. BEASTIE BOYS are in the RRHOF? Are they not RAP? ..... So KISS and RUSH don't have what it take to be in the hall but we are going with The Beastie Boys... Good call. No sarcasm here.

December 8, 2011 at 12:23 am |
    • Griffin

KISS can make it now. I wanted Alice Cooper in before them, and now that he's in; KISS can enter as well.

Rush is so long overdue it's not funny.

While we're at it; Paul's in. John's in. George is in. The Beatles are in. Can we round it out and get Ringo in already?

That said: RHCP? Seriously? I get that a band's only eligible 25 years after their first release, but RHCP's only been elligible for two/three years now. Get some people in there who've had it coming.

December 8, 2011 at 12:57 am |
  80. Robert Smith

The Cure was fantastic before they went POP. If you think of the essence of the Cure than a snub is what you would expect. it fits. Good. Reminds me of the quote: "any club that would have me I wouldn't want to belong to". Good article!

December 8, 2011 at 12:05 am |
  81. Lone

Why moan about who is or is not being inducted in any given year. They're all going to be eventually. And unless you really need to see their clothes and gear you likely already have whats important in your music collection. Are we in a rush because they might die early?

December 7, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
  82. daniels222

While the Cure are great and definitely deserve to be in, I think he sorely misrepresents what the Chili Peppers have done musically and are true artists. First, why pick on the Chili Peppers, especially in this class? Immaturity defines the Beastie Boys debut, and drunken violence defines Guns N' Roses'. This doesn't take away from either group, but it seems odd to pick on the group who shifted sounds and played with genres over several times. For a band to go from punk funk metal rap on their early albums to Brian Wilson pop with Hendrix like guitar solos is remarkable (all while maintaining their popularity). Flea brought slap and bass in general to the forefront of 90's rock. While I will admit the non-Frusciante stuff is very meh, the five albums they did together (their last together being a double album) stand as a strong testament to their influence, musical innovation, and imprint on the musical industry as a hugely popular world band.

December 7, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
  83. HappyGoLuckySunshineBeam

It's The Cure! The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is nothing more than a place where dust collects.

December 7, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
  84. Rusty

I'm not a huge fan of the Cure, but seriously – they were influential. They should have gotten in if we are going to insist on putting talented people in a stupid museum. Museums are for paintings, not music. It's far too organic for that.

December 7, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
  85. dbzl

I don't feel bad I loved watching Red Hot chili peppers opening for FISHBONE back in the day. I actually miss those times but RC was awesome live, and I really feel a certain coolness that many still don't know who they are I guess it took a special breed to appreciate their music, especially if you were part of the Huxtable Clan, hell John Hughes didn't even know we existed let alone black kis that liked the CURE while rocking an early flat top.
    TOO COOL

December 7, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  86. PaulNYC

The entire idea of a hall of fame for artists is foolish.

December 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
    • dmoriarty

Gotta admit. I turned off the Cure when "Why Can't I Be You" hit the the top 40. They were spoiled for the sullen outsiders when the rest of the world embraced them. They need to stay consumate anti-culture. The Hall of Fame is mainstream culture. The Cure are better than that.

December 7, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
      • janelane

why? if something is good, it's just good. people who are just trying to be different are super annoying.

December 8, 2011 at 12:22 am |
      • erin

agreed

December 8, 2011 at 1:13 am |
  87. Tokyojoe

You mentioned Peppers sold more and had more Grammy nods. There are other bands that have had a ton less success than The Cure that are in the Fame. One never knows how the artists are truly chosen (even though they do say there are criteria). The Cars should be in the Fame also. Te choices don't make sense to me. Why is Johnny Cash in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame? For what? Rappers are in the Rock and Roll Hall. Blues and Jazz? Where are the top country singers if these others forms of music are in the "Rock N Roll Hall" like Hank Senior? Bill Monroe for Bluegrass? The Cure created a whole subculture. That means they were innovative and influential. They should be inducted. - My two cents worth.

December 7, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • Deb

You are right! The Cars are my fave band. They should be in, have they even been nominated? Also the Cure, Pet Shop Boys, The Feelies, Smiths, Erasure, Ramones (are they in?), and DEPECHE MODE. And why didn't Heart get in? They were pioneers, and they ROCK.

December 8, 2011 at 3:02 am |
    • Jard

why is johnny cash in the hall of fame? Did you just seriously ask that question? hmm, without the Blues/Jazz and without Johnny Cash/Elvis/JerryLeeLewis, there would be no "rock and roll". You cant ask questions like that, and then question why "the cure" are not inducted. They'll have their dues. In time.

December 8, 2011 at 3:26 am |
  88. daniel

Wow such ignorance. Ghettoized as goth? Goth is not bad. Whole heartedly dispute? So? So do the Sisters of Mercy, it just means they feel their art(music) transcends genre labeling. You make it sound like they're insulted to be included in a genre such as goth.

And sorry, wearing eyeliner doesn't make you a freak nor destined for the hall of weirdos.

December 7, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
    • TDFL

Preach it brother!

December 7, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
    • daniels222

and album sales and Grammy's are the least important thing to a band's integrity, and often gets in its way. It is a lazy and ignorant way to summarize a band's importance.

December 7, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
    • Mother73

when you realize that goth was a term originally used to describe the sound of Joy Division, then you would get the difference. kind of like calling Siouxie "punk".....

December 8, 2011 at 12:47 am |
  89. Fletch

Kiss and Rush should be in. That's just the bottom line.

December 7, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
    • sharpx13

NEIL!! drum solo of life!

December 8, 2011 at 12:34 am |
  90. Vince

I don't think that The Cure is one of the most infuential bands of all time, I pesonally don't care for them. That doesn't mean that I can't appreciate what they have accomplished. If Laura Nyro, The Small Faces(?), and Donovan are in, then The Cure should be as well. It just goes to show how clueless the HoF really is.

December 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  91. Tr1Xen

I couldn't agree more. The Cure have been far more influential.

December 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  92. Jeff

I've been a huge can of both The Cure and The Smiths since they started (yes I'm that old), but come on...Rush ddn't get their nod yet, so don't even thing about previous two.

December 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
    • Bob

The Cure are still awesome, Rush has been dad-rock from the start.

December 7, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
    • janelane

omg, i hate rush

December 8, 2011 at 12:23 am |
      • Twisted Works

Of course you do, you're a woman. Rush will readily admit that they don't have a female following and their music does not appeal to your gender. They are hugely influential and have the best drummer and bassist ever and top 10 guitar player. Their music has stood the test of time. They deserve to be in – well ahead of the Chilis.

December 8, 2011 at 1:16 am |
      • Rissu

<~~female and LOVES Rush!
        Unfortunately, they will never get into the RRHOF because the guy who runs it hates them and said he will never have Rush there.

December 8, 2011 at 1:38 am |
  93. RyaninSC

The Cure is the best band EVER!!

December 7, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • Esha

I loved the Cure. I still occasionally listen to a classic alternative rock station where they play lotsa Cure. So nostalgic.

December 8, 2011 at 12:07 am |
  94. john

the RNRHOF is simply a joke. It's run by rolling stone mag- time and people mags combined.

it really isn't a measure of great bands. just a showcase for rr mag. dont get too wound up about it

December 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • Twisted Words

right on.

December 8, 2011 at 1:17 am |
  95. aaron and allyn setran

My daughter and I love The Cure, and you're right in that they are often mistaken for being "dark".....but nothing could be further from the truth. At a recent concert in LA (The Pantages), my daughter (Allyn, 16 yrs old), not only got autographs from Robert Smith and Roger O'Donnell, but stood along side some very great and gracious fans who remain true to the love of their music.

December 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  96. Thecureshouldbe

Not only is the cure greatly deserving of r&r hall of fame but Robert smith is a music genius, technically speaking he k
    Knows music theory and composition beyond that of what RHCP could ever be. I actually do. It find the RHCP technically interesting at all. I don't think that there are any RHCP songs that clout do the best curd songs. I am a rush fan as well and I would like to see both cure and rush in the hall of fame. I say let's occupy hall of fame! Lol! But seriously todays puppet goonish gorks that make the decision for why is selected to be entered into the R&R hall of fame likely have more understanding of why snookie is collored pumpkin orange than what amazing music and artists are.

December 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  97. TL the alligator

man that guy has issues......one look at him and ya know hes a freak of some sort.....he'll NEVER be in the hall of fame...maybe in the hall of wierdos though.

December 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • janelane

yeah, well, i bet he knows how to use ellipsis

December 8, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  98. Simon

The Cure is one of the most influential bands of all time! I don't care about the RnR HoF. I don't need some yuppie organization to tell me what I already know!

December 7, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  99. Brian Corley

I will not visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame until RUSH is justly recognized. One of the top selling band of all time, unique in their musical and lyrical mastery yet ignored by the Hall for years.

December 7, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  100. Jennifer Susannah Devore

Soundtrack in car as I drove to work (6p.m.-2a.m. summer shift, sweet) at Disneyland during college: The Cure (Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me), The Smiths (The Queen is Dead) and, not as anathema to me as it may have been for you, Red Hot Chili Peppers (Mother's Milk) ... excellent tuneage one and all. Special respect for guitarists Smith, Marr and Flea 🙂
    Cheers, good sir!

December 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

The Smiths remastered set that just came out on Rhino is INSANE. Totally a bargain if you pick it up on eMusic, and I believe Marr oversaw the project.

December 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
      • AllCatsRGrey @Kat

Kat I knew you would take notice of this. Any die hard Cure fan would be disappointed. With saying that I think Robert is probably feeling alright about it. I am sure they will get in at some point and I will be watching wearing one of my many Cure concert shirts. Thanks Kat

December 8, 2011 at 9:15 am |