How A Virtual Popstar Won Japan's Hearts: The Story of Hatsune Miku
November 4th, 2011

How A Virtual Popstar Won Japan's Hearts: The Story of Hatsune Miku

The scene seems to be a familiar one: a slender, pretty girl with a distinctly anime look stands on stage, grasping a microphone and playfully chatting with the crowd before she sings another infectious tune.

She wears a short skirt and a sleeveless button-up blouse, thigh-high stockings, and long ornamental sleeves, but her most memorable feature is easily her pigtails, which are a brilliant shade of blue and brush her ankles. The crowd is wild for her, cheering her on as she performs one energetic pop song after another, which they sing along to.

They've memorized every word. To them, she is an idol, and they cover their walls at home with posters of her smiling face.

Her name is Hatsune Miku, and she is a star. But she is not a real person.

Miku, as she is more commonly called by her fans, is not a girl at all. In fact, she's actually a piece of software.

Made by the Japanese media company Crypton Future Media as part of a series of synthesizer voice software releases called Vocaloid, the program uses voice actress Saki Fujita's voice in order to create a composite of a female voice that could be used to write music.

The original release of the software featured art by illustrator Kei Garō on its cover of a lovely girl with long blue pigtails, and Crypton's vision of Miku's character was of "an android diva in a near-future world where songs are lost."

Miku's software was first released in August of 2007. In the four years since, the character has exploded into popularity as fans found the Vocaloid software and used it to make music of their own, filling Japanese video website Nico Nico Douga with their work.

Artists took up their drawing boards and paints. Cosplayers emulated them in turn, as well as creating dozens of their own original costumes fueled by creativity. And the always lucrative Japanese collectibles market has made countless figures of her.

It's hard to ignore - Miku is a profitable source of revenue, not to mention a major inspiration to those around her.

The popularity of "Vocaloid", as the software series is called, is not just surrounding Miku either. In fact, there are many other software releases with different types of voices available.

A male voice named Kaito was actually released before Miku in 2006, and a pair of "twins" with younger voices called Kagamine Lin and Ren followed Miku in 2008. The Vocaloid family continues to grow, and each character has its own fan following and an extensive body of creative work surrounding it.

Today, the trend continues to seep into America as Japanese company Live Viewing sponsors an event that will simulcast a Miku concert called  "Hatsune Miku Live Party 2011 39's LIVE in SAPPORO." And in case you're wondering, yes - Miku does put on live concerts, which have already been attended by thousands of jubilant, excited fans, and she is represented by a hologram.

And people love it.

If you would like to attend one of her concerts, the event will include several major cities, including Paris, Singapore, Bangkok, New York, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Houston, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, London and more. Live Viewing Japan has more details, and the buzz has already got fans chattering on message boards about seeing Miku perform "live."

For a person who has never heard of anything like this, it immediately brings up a question that seems reasonable enough to ask.

What makes a person bond to a rock star that isn't real?

"Hatsune Miku represents a new kind of hybrid pop star, one inspired equally by both organic and technological creativity," says Erik Jansen, President of MediaLab, who are promoting the Miku concert in the states. " The fact that it's her fans that create the actual content also offers the premise for them to play a vital role in helping to shape her future popularity."

If people feel a direct connection with a creation like Miku, who they can actually help to create, does it make their loyalty all the more fierce?

It certainly seems to be the case, as her popularity only seems to continue to build both in the United States and overseas, with everything from arcade cabinets to cars dedicated to her image. May 2011 marked the debut of major U.S. support for Miku through Toyota, as her image was used to promote the Corolla.

Simply put, the fictional pop star is a source of joy for many of her fans, proving that a musician is no longer defined only by a flesh and blood human being, but also by the collective creativity of millions all pointed towards one concept.

As the world around us evolves in a constant rotation of technological breakthroughs, perhaps a virtual popstar is only the beginning.

Posted by
Filed under: Otaku
  1. how much was this web site? tdrapuyait click here :|] euzjgkcbqjdcfiq, :) kdlewvyjms [url="http://www.tdveptqrdzrn.net"]or here[/url] 3:-) itaptpqv, =) zcqjoqjbif http://tdveptqrdzrn.info >:o itaptpqv, :( djgjsyylwx [url=http://tdveptqrdzrn.ru]tclpvzzn

oqwkyihflbdm

June 13, 2013 at 10:45 am |
  2. Ugg Boots Sale

Is the cut still painful? It is no matter whether you get there early or late.I have no choice.One third of this area is covered with forest.I'm your lucky fellow then.It is tomorrow that they will have a meeting.Wake me up at five thirty.He is used to eating out all the timeThanks for your flattering me.I assure you that you will feel no pain at all.
    Ugg Boots Sale http://uggbootssalediscountuggboots.blogspot.co.uk/

December 9, 2012 at 9:07 am |
  3. Ugg Boots Classic

Is it yours? It is no use learning without thinking.That's all I need.I am sick of always waiting for you!Don't be so childish.What is your plan?Clothes make the man.Why don't you find a job and end this dependence upon your parents? I can't afford a new car.The best-known movie awards are the Academy Awards.
    Ugg Boots Classic http://uggbootsclearanceuggbootsclassic.blogspot.co.uk/

December 8, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
  4. Ugg Boots Classic

There are mice in Mrs.There comes a bus.Her family are all music lovers.The show is supposed to be goodSpeak louder£¬please.I can't make this machine run properly.I can't make this machine run properly.How are you recently? I have a surprise for you.What I want to do is different from those of others.
    Ugg Boots Classic http://uggbootsclearanceuggbootsclassic.blogspot.co.uk/

December 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
  5. uggs boots for sale

I'm thinking of hanging the lamp from the ceiling.Winter is a cold season.It is Just what I need.Whichever you choose, you won't be satisfied.I'm not guessing£¬I really know.It's a secret between you and me.It's a secret between you and me.Not yet.Another cat came to my house.Combining exercise with the diet may be the most effective way to lose weight.
    uggs boots for sale http://uggsbootsforchristmasonsaleuggs.blogspot.com/

December 8, 2012 at 10:00 am |
  6. UGGs Christmas Sale

His looks are always funny.The maximum weight allowance is 60 kilos per traveler, excluding hand luggage.I was late for work yesterday.Long ago, people believed that the world was flat.I'm very proud of you.It looks very niceHe does everything without aim.This company is our regular customer.What happened to you? Had it not been for the alarm clock she wouldn't have been late.
    UGGs Christmas Sale http://uggschristmassaleuggs.blogspot.co.uk/

December 8, 2012 at 6:31 am |
  7. christmas sale uggs

I beg your pardon.The boy was too nervous to speak.He led them down the mountain.There are mice next to the refrigerator, under the sink and inside the cupboard!What's new? Don't be uneasy about the consequence.He has a remarkable memory.They plan to immigrate to Finland next year.Did you miss the bus? Where can we make the insurance claim?
    christmas sale uggs http://christmasonsaleuggsuggsbootssales.blogspot.com/

December 7, 2012 at 2:48 am |
  8. cartuchos de tinta

obviously like your web site however you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very bothersome to tell the truth however I'll certainly come back again.

August 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  9. tecnicos alicante

Wonderful issues altogether, you simply won a logo new reader. What may you recommend about your publish that you just made a few days ago? Any sure?

April 28, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
  10. ofertas ropa de marca

I don't even understand how I stopped up right here, however I assumed this submit was once great. I do not recognise who you're however definitely you are going to a famous blogger for those who are not already. Cheers!

April 17, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  11. Shiandu

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Miku!!!!!

February 11, 2012 at 8:57 am |
  12. meiko

OM&! I love her :3

November 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  13. Domoarrigato

got a chubbie

November 29, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Hehe101

Pleasant. Don't mind grossin' the rest of us out, eh?

November 30, 2011 at 12:18 am |
  14. Flora

Ehh... I'm sorry; I'm a raging otaku, but I'm also kind of a music purist & an almost entirely digital pop star is nothing less than sacrilege to me.

November 27, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • lolol

Get over yourself. :3

November 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  15. yourmom

Never understood the appeal of Vocaloid. I'm a big manga fan, but it's lame lol.

November 24, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  16. Danno

Big deal much? Basic concept of this was first really done (if I'm not too mistaken) by the Gorillaz. Been there done that, and didn't need huge eyes and pedophelic people to accomplish that whirlwind of magic.

November 22, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Flora

Actually, they weren't the first – when I showed this article to my mom, she reminded me about Gem, that cartoon band from the 80's.

November 27, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • Ryan

Nothing Paedophilic about her, she is not a child for a start. On top of that she is not drawn, but presented in 3D as a stylised human girl. No comparison unfortunately for you.

January 24, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
      • Shiandu

Ya got that right. Dude is just jealous that Miku will always be the best.

February 11, 2012 at 8:59 am |
  17. Joseph

Please shoot me now.

November 20, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • Beatriz

Hatsune Miku isn't an Anime character! She is a Vocaliod! But they do have a Manga seiers called Hatsune Mix, but she was drawn in a way to make it look like as if she was an anime

August 5, 2012 at 3:38 am |
  18. ps3chick

Nice! Love the VOCALOID creativity and the world that's been created. So cool knowing that Miku is coming west!!

November 10, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
  19. Moruku Yomi

oh my god I can't bileve it took America this long to start recognizing VOCALOID I hope there will be more stories ablout VOCALODs like KAITO and Kagamine Len/Rin.

November 7, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • yourmom

Because it's not really relevant to us. lol

November 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
      • Hehe101

Ha!

November 30, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • Jubilee

um because it doesn't really matter? i mean, this blue-haired "virtual pop star" thing just creep us out, and why have a frikin anime drawing be our singer that some actual talented people?

November 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
      • Moruku Yomi

well a lot of people think Miku and threst are talented singers ORZ
        don't hate

January 9, 2012 at 11:34 am |
      • Nemi

At least there won't be drama like there is with most pop stars.

May 22, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
  20. Igorovsky

Estoy totalmente de acuerdo con tu comentario final" esto es solo el comienso"; magnifico comentario, te felicito.-

November 4, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
    • Hehe101

¡Clero que si! Estoy feliz con tu comentario, señor Igorovsky. Pero, tu "nombre" no es español. Por que el español? Unless of course that's Italian, which I don't know at all.

November 30, 2011 at 12:15 am |