I was a zombie extra in ‘The Walking Dead’
I wasn't allowed to take pictures of myself on set, so here's me recreating my role in the hallways of the CNN offices.
October 26th, 2011

I was a zombie extra in ‘The Walking Dead’

I think about zombies a lot.

Ever since age 6, when I white-knuckled my safety blanket while watching a nighttime broadcast of George Romero’s iconic film “Night of the Living Dead,” reanimated corpses have been shambling around the darker parts of my consciousness. Every time I hear a police siren wailing in the distance, some small corner of my mind jumps to “zombie apocalypse!”

Yuri Lowenthal: The voice of anime who's ready for the zombie apocalypse

One sunny afternoon in downtown Atlanta, my phone started buzzing on my desk.

“Is this Michael?” a hurried male voice asked when I picked up, tearing breakneck through his syllables at a rapid staccato. “I’m calling from casting for AMC’s ‘The Walking Dead.’ We’re filming tonight in central Georgia and we’re wondering if you’d like to come down and be a zombie extra in two scenes.”

A few months previous, I had filled out an online casting call forwarded to me by a friend. They were asking for very thin people to work as extras, playing the titular shambling ghouls in Season 2 of the show. As my friend joked in the email, I was perfect for it, since my body type most closely resembles that of a particularly gaunt scarecrow. (It was later explained to me by the costume director that putting thin people in regular clothes makes the best zombies, giving them shrunken and emaciated look.)

This was it: My chance to take a defining pop-culture obsession of mine and become an active participant. Hell yes, of course I was going to drive an hour and a half to central Georgia and work until 3 am, even thought I had to be at work the next day at 7.

I pulled into the parking lot of Newnan High School later that afternoon, and spent about 15 minutes navigating the exterior of the building, weaving through a maze of trailers and parked cars, trying to find my way to the holding room for extras. When I arrived, I was given some torn and dirty clothes, and got into costume.

“Oh, shoot,” the costume director said when I returned from the changing room. We’re supposed to give you a run-through of our ‘How to be a zombie’ guide, but I can’t find it.” I laughed to myself, and then launched into an unprompted explanation of the differences between fast zombies and slow zombies, and how they represent different secular sublimations of the breakdown of society.

Somewhere in the middle of this rambling dissertation (I think it was when I actually used the words ‘Leviathan’ and ‘Hobbesian’ when talking about the signifiers of fast zombies), she held her hand up with a quiet smile and told me to go the makeup trailer.

Fifteen minutes later I was fully zombified, pale gray makeup caked on my skin, blood spatters and wounds artfully arranged all over my face. They even gave me a yellowing fluid to make my teeth gruesome. When the makeup artist swiveled the salon chair around so I could look in the mirror, I jumped out of my chair – there’s a very good reason this show won an Emmy for outstanding prosthetic makeup.

All of the zombie extras were then told to congregate outside, and were shepherded into one of the school’s hallways, which had been trashed enough to look decidedly post-apocalyptic. White tungsten light blasted out of open classroom doors, making our throng of would-be walking corpses even more ghoulish and sinister. Fliers on ‘the infection’ littered the floor, detailing the efforts of this school-turned-FEMA-camp to fight a mysterious plague.

In a series of takes, we chased two of the main characters down the hallway as they clutched satchels of needed medical supplies. They hightailed it towards the exit, and we shambled after them, always just a few steps out of reach of our yellowed and grasping fingers. Rinse and repeat for a few hours, until we finished and were deposited on a sidewalk outside in the cool summer night, waiting for the next scene to start rolling.

We all felt free to indulge in this moment of quiet camaraderie, as zombie fanatics and would-be actors shared cigarettes and bon mots about their favorite zombie movies. One knot of ghouls got into a heated debate about how Europeans have taken a different tack on the zombie, vis-à-vis Jaume Balaguero’s excellent “[REC]” and Danny Boyle’s genre-defining “28 Days Later.”

I suddenly didn’t feel as bad about my earlier diatribe to the costume director. I was among friends – people who geeked out about this stuff as much as I did. (Or moreso, in quite a few cases.)

For the second scene we filmed that night, we tromped around the school to a “Friday Night Lights”-style football field lit by gigantic floodlights. Another chase scene ensued, and we were all instructed by the director to think of the character we were pursuing as “like a pigskin, but a pigskin filled with BRAINS!”

There are very un-glamorous parts about being an extra: Long periods spent standing around waiting for something to happen, the pay isn’t much to speak of, and I was so tired and listless the next day from sleep deprivation that I played it off by telling people I was still method-acting as a living corpse.

Still, if I could send a message across space-time to myself at age six, I’d let myself know not to be quite so afraid. When the zombies eventually do take over, I’m going to be able to put that on my resume.

Posted by
Filed under: Fandom
  1. rhianna1130

To Sharonda Hill: I'm an aspiring actress as well, and you should join actorsaccess.com for casting calls for union and non-union members.

August 14, 2013 at 10:56 am |
  2. Sharonda Hill

Hi, my name is Sharonda Hill. I am 15 years old and I'm from Oakland,
    CA. I've been looking for some casting calls and I came across this. I
    don't know if this is going to be read but if it does can you please.
    email me at Sharondhill12@yahoo.com and let me know if anything is open.
    Thank you!

August 4, 2013 at 3:21 am |
  3. rhianna1130

Hi, I'm not sure if you check the comments, but what do you have to do to apply/be a zombie extra? Also, can you be on the show if you're not an Atlanta local? Thank you and please email me back soon!

May 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
  4. rhianna1130

Hi, I'm not sure if you read the comments, but I was wondering what you have to do to apply to be a zombie extra? Also do you have to be a local if you want to be on the show? Thanks and please email me back soon!

May 19, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
  5. türkiye sohbet

You recognize therefore considerably in the case of this matter, produced me in my view imagine it from numerous varied angles. Its like women and men aren't fascinated until it is one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs nice. Always care for it up!

April 22, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Sara Wilkinson

Hello, I am Sara Wilkinson. I am 13 years old and my birthday is May 21, 1999. I have blonde hair and blue eyes, and I have glasses. I have always wanted to be an actress and singer ever since I was 5 years old. I have been in 2 plays. 1. I have been in Murder at Mornington Manor. 2. I have been in Joesph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I have been in an acting class for 2 years, it is called Drama Kids. I have been in a talent show too, I sang “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus. I have auditioned for a whole bunch of things but never made it.
    Thank you for your time reading this, it is much appreciated
    My phone number is 941-776-8660 or call 941-345-4538. Please call me back! Thank you so much!

March 23, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
  7. Download music

Hi there, simply changed into alert to your weblog via Google, and located that it's truly informative. I'm going to be careful for brussels. I will appreciate in case you continue this in future. Lots of other folks will be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

October 17, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
  8. billig fönsterputs

I will immediately grab your rss feed as I can't to find your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me recognize in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

April 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
  9. running

I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web site. Studying this info So i'm glad to exhibit that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I so much for sure will make sure to don?t omit this web site and give it a look regularly.

April 13, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  10. Programmable Coffeemaker

Hi there, simply was aware of your blog through Google, and located that it is truly informative. I'm going to be careful for brussels. I will appreciate if you happen to continue this in future. Numerous folks can be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

April 9, 2012 at 5:34 am |
  11. facebook like

Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my site so i got here to return the prefer?.I am attempting to to find issues to improve my site!I suppose its good enough to use some of your ideas!!

April 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
  12. Steve

I have always wondered why there are no naked zombies. It seems to reason that a few people would be attacked naked in their homes, or at the least have some of their clothes ripped off during a zombie attack. Just wondering.

October 30, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Ian

Watch Shaun of the Dead, theres an example of that in the early parts of the movie, same with Zombieland, theres some naked zombies in the opening credits.

October 31, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  13. Christine

I tried like hell last year to win a Stagger-on role, you are super lucky to be a part of the Walking Dead. I love the show.

October 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  14. cpc65

I thought CNN was entirely staffed by mindless, soulless zombies. Now I have proof.

October 29, 2011 at 9:06 am |
    • raspberry1

hahaha! too funny. took the words right out of my mouth.

October 30, 2011 at 11:33 am |
  15. Harrison

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5dK4cgqe0E&w=640&h=390]

October 27, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
  16. Tha Chikin

SOOO lucky! I wish I could be a zombie extra!

October 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  17. J. Heberth

Great experience
    can u share the web site u fill the form to be part of this serie ( walking dead) I want to be someday soon there

October 27, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  18. Derek

A zombie extra on the Walking Dead. Pretty cool! Walking Dead is one of the best shows on cable these days. Enjoying Season 2 a lot.

October 27, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • wilson

I agree... I just wish the story and acting didn't suck so much.

October 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  19. amazing music video

Get your dance party on with NERVO's new video for http://shar.es/bdBIl

October 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
  20. The Unselfish Meme

Got it! I'm dressing up like an Flea Party Occupy-ist Zombie for the 'Ween!

October 26, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  21. ARandomZombie

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

October 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  22. MedicMax

Two main characters? I hope this means that Rick comes to the school and Fatty McFat Fat got eaten.

October 26, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  23. Citizen Arcade

That is totally awesome! Thanks for the spoiler alert. Check out this zombie caught in an intense game of tennis with a tennis pro! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KtBV1y7peA

October 26, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  24. Jay

Seriously!? You couldn't have published this until after the next episode. Thanks for the spoiler jerk.

October 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Beth

Um, Jay? He warned us of the spoiler at the top. . .

October 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
      • AmericanSam

@Beth Haha! Inattentive aren't we?

October 26, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Skegeeace

In addition the "WARNING: SPOILER" message at the top, it's not like they said a character dies or gave away anything pivotal.

October 26, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
      • ZombieSpoilerInsider

Fat guy gets it right when you think he makes it. (or maybe not)

I will post how the series ends if I can get 100 Jerk comments in the next hour!!

October 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Chandra

Seriously? He said "minor spoilers". My god.

October 26, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • manny

Yes he did. We was warned! A minor spoiler alert.

October 26, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • MedicMax

The last episode ended at a school, so where did you think the next episode would take place? There is nothing really in here that could qualify as a spoiler.

October 26, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Melinda

He didn't give away anything we didn't see last week. It left off with them pinned down at the high school, did you think the Escape Fairy was going to come along and get them out or did you not notice them running through the halls in the previews for next week?
      I hate when people are too busy complaining and being stupid about spoilers to 1. read that a spoiler warning was given and 2. to notice the spoiler warning was not even needed.

October 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • jlowe22

Dude, there was a spoiler alert at the top

October 27, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • wilson

You would have actually had to read the article to have a remote chance for a spoiler.

October 28, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
  25. ZombieSpoilerInsider

Just wait until they discover the Doctors zombie son chained up in the barn behind the house.
    Lets not get too excited when the cast finds the prison and makes it their home with a few additional, unreformed (non-zombie) 'serial killer' occupants to liven things up. (This is were the Brother gets it.)
    I can go on but will wait for the next round in a couple of weeks if CNN publishes another Walking Dead piece.

October 26, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • tonelok

@ZombieSpoilerInsider
      Yeah, and like when the Sherrif kills his partner for sleeping with his wife... oh wait they skipped that because it didn't fit the TV show character's persona. I hope they bring in the jail and stuff, but they have followed the graohic novel so loosely we don't know where it will go :)

October 26, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
      • ZombieSpoilerInsider

Tonelok, as I already mentioned to Anon, I hope they follow it more closely, If it wasn't for the interest of the original fans then this show would never had been produced. And for all of those who just found out that this is a show based on an old comic series I recommend reading the original story.
        I will post how it ends if I can get 100 Jerk comments in the next hour!!

October 26, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Anon

wow, you are so cool for knowing how to read a graphic novel. that's awesome for you. you're so in the know about what's really poppin' on the streets and all that stuff. you are great,.. really, really, really great.

October 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
      • ZombieSpoilerInsider

Actually Anon they are not completely following the original storyline. I am willing to bet that they will include the jail and the Doctors zombie son since they added his optimistic outlook that there may be a cure. (I honestly wouldn't want be cured and come back to life in a decomposed body but who knows).
        Either way, you sarcasm was expected as well as the jerk comments from others but I think the original story is much better and more gory than the show. (The show is awesome but not enough zombie killings. Only one last week)
        For others who are interested here is a link to the first book of the series: http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Days-Gone-Bye/dp/1582403589

October 26, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • HowDroll

Thanks for the spoilers. Jerk.

October 26, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
      • ZombieSpoilerInsider

How droll.

October 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
      • ZombieSpoilerInsider

Almost forgot, as stated above but just for you......

October 26, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • YouSuck

I want to know – JERK

October 26, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • John

Jerk.

October 26, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  26. james

CONGRATS! Sounds like a blast! I'm going as a zombie this halloween, I don't normally do this holiday, but a number of us walking dead fans are having a makeup artist do us up and are going to be "walking" the streets!

October 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • AmericanSam

Eek. Hope you don't get shot!

October 26, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  27. CinBinFin

Thanks for the spoiler....so irritating!

October 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Kristie

The article begins with a minor spoiler alert warning...

October 26, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • TWD RULES!

its also a minor alert because eveyrthing he talks about can be seen in the previews for next episode.

October 26, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • Skegeeace

It's SO irritating how people don't read directions- spoiler alert at the top. He didn't even give anything away!

October 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  28. Hannah

So jealous! I would love to be zombie-fied. I've got my eyes open for Season 3 extra casting!

October 26, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  29. Cher

In my next life I'm going to be a ZOMBIE!??!

October 26, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  30. Attomind

This guy is great! He didn't even have to put make-up on for the role.

October 26, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  31. U.S.Army-OverLord

Call of Duty Zombies needs to be made into a movie!!! ;)

October 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

I love this show also I think it's one of the best zombies shows in a long time. If you ever need some more military zombies look me up ;) (I have over ten thousand zombie kills on Call of duty. Does this count for experience ;) )

October 26, 2011 at 3:48 pm |

over 10,000? thats all. HAHAHA i can get that in about 5 games

October 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  32. Katie

I am super jealous. Ugh, I would've given a few days off of work to go down and be an extra! ...so #OccupyZombie?

October 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  33. LadyMcDow

Thanks! Great Article. So looking forward to the rest of the season. LOVE this show. <3 Daryl Dixon <3

October 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  34. Pete

Has anybody picked up on the fact that this article potentially gives away partial spoilers about next week's episode? For anyone curious about how the two guys are going to get out of the school, there's a pretty good chance a brightly lit football field will come into play. The two used flares as a decoy to get to the supplies, they just need a bigger flare to get out of the school.

I could be wrong of course, and I know this is based on a written/graphic work. I guess we'll find out on Sunday how this plays out. I do hope however that this wasn't a spoiler that slipped through the cracks.

October 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Tev

Hence the minor spoiler warning posted right at the beginning of the article. Reading comprehension much?

October 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • GrumpyDude

Oh for chrissakes....is there nothing you can do other than complain?

October 26, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • TWD RULES!

A. Spoiler alert is at the begining of the artilce
      B. nothing that was said is new, you can see just about all of it in the previews of the next episode.

October 26, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Timbob

....really? lol read the top lad

October 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Chandra

Jesus christ, does the writer have to put "minor spoiler" in flashing neon for you morons to f'ing see it?!? HE SAID IT WAS A SPOILER you dork.

October 26, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  35. emil

Forget the drive and work. I'd be worth it to fly in, book a hotel and bang it out. That's a vacation!!!!

October 26, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • SilentBoy741

I don't know about vacation, but you pretty much summed up prom night for me.

October 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  36. allanhowls

SPOILER ALERT
    The dead will rise and make things difficult for our heroes.

October 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • anneominous

Hahahaha – hilarious. Made me chuckle! Thanks for the laugh.

October 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  37. norriw

"I was so tired and listless the next day from sleep deprivation that I played it off by telling people I was still method-acting as a living corpse." .... I think the costume director's patient "that's enough" hand up says it all ; the industry relies on over zealous, star struck, naive, self deluded wannabes to fill out the scenery of sets.. yep , the scenery .. "method acting " ? really ? which school , Adler or Strasberg ?

October 26, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Tim

Wow! Lighten up! Obviously his method acting reference was a joke.

October 26, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
      • norriw

well, if you understood the implicit as well as explicit nature of my remarks, you'd see that I get it, he was being ironic, because we understand a true, disciplined, professional method actor as quite superior to a one night stand extra , but part of being a true geek ( his theme, especially as he relates the costume director story ) is having enough of a zombie, or actor, or super hero ( Big Bang Theory ) inside that the geek really does existentialize whatever characteristics of whatever unrealistic personna he or she fantasizes about and sometimes manifests... in other words... they're half serious !

October 26, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • jemma

seriously.. a bit self righteous aren't we?

October 26, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
      • norriw

self righteous ? we're not talking about moral issues here , to get your terms straight, I'm addressing intellectual delusion as any one fulfills the lyric " all eyes in jest, still a fool hears what he wants to hear , and disregards the rest " ... that kind of goes for don't -judge-or-correct Pollyannas, too.........

October 26, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
      • Wow

I bet you have no friends at all.... And your moms new boyfriend made you move out of the basement and get "real job"... And all the women out there are just "intimidated" by you and your superior personality. I only say this because of the arrogance that is radiating from your comments, you are clearly a pretencious jerk who uses a fifteen letter word where a three letter word will do just so you can hear yourself talk longer and so that others know that you have an awesome vocabulary. Or you're an english major which is just as sad... Hows this economy treating ya sport? I bet you will get an email notification of my comment too, this ends for me when i hit post... For you? Well it never really ends does it?

October 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • TWD RULES!

You really have issues. Only total quack would make a mountain out of a mole hill. i suggest anger therapy or maybe just smoke some pot to calm your nerves.

October 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
      • norriw

You sound a lot more wound up than me, chulo, and with a lot more blogs on a web news site about a cable show about zombies than I have . I shouldn't have pitched my point the way I did. OK

October 26, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Patrick

You misquoted Simon and Garfunkel...

October 27, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  38. Lana

Sound like a fun experience. I do extra work in LA and we're all jealous of the folks who live in and near Atlanta.

I'm really surprised CNN published this blog before the episode the writer/extra worked on aired. (In the last episode that aired, the characters being chased in the writer's description just made it into the school and are now trapped in there. Now we know the zombies get in, chase them through the school, then out and across the football field.) Out here in LA if we even post details on Facebook about what we worked on before the episodes air we are always warned we could be fined out the wazoo.

October 26, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  39. chris

hey don't spoil things mr zombie extra and if you complain it must not have been that fun!

October 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  40. Phill

Hey, I am a culture, not a costume. Zombies have feelings too you know people....

October 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • logicareason

dang, you beat me to it

October 26, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • chris

people what?

October 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • gah

you, sir, made my day

October 26, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • happytam

Thank you Phill for my first laugh out loud of reading the comments.

October 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  41. hornman

THERE WERE NO ZOMBIES IN 28 DAYS LATER!

The "living people" were infected with a virus, aptly coined as "the RAGE virus". When infected a person didn't die, they just became so enraged that all they want to do is kill and maim and rip apart any and everything. They never explain why the infected don't want to rip apart other infected people. They don't eat anything they kill, they just kill for killings sake. So why only the "un-infected"?

October 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Bill

Meh, they were zombie-like enough to be tossed into the genre.

October 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Steve

Also they could go for days without sustenance, as was noted by the zombie trapped outside. Zombie describes anything moving around while effectively brain dead, whether the body ever died or not.

October 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
      • anneominous

You mean like my ex-wife?

October 26, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • Katie

AGREED. Thank you.

October 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  42. JaySki

Is it just me or do the zombies look lame this season....im pretty sure the makeup budget was reduced on this show because looking at the zombies from last season to this season is annoying. im very aware that the zombies this season have grey face paint with a little black around the eyes. takes away from the realism of the show.

October 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm |

your nuts.

October 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
      • cookie

*you're

October 26, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  43. spoileralert

I think the black dude will get the original influenza infection. It is being masked as blood poisoning and he will take out most of the new crew. It would be to shows benefit to pick up a doctor though so doctor might make it. also I thought I saw a clip somewhere where the girl is in a bed but not 100% certain of that. also I'm sure I saw Shane's head is shaved in a clip from last week; and Shane and Rick are supporting/carrying the army dude who is clearly injured while running across a field. So they all meet up somehow: shane with shaved hair; Rick and injured army dude. They are running across field so where is truck? I like army dude (but don't know his name) so hope he isn't killed off.

October 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • TWD RULES!

sorry you are wrong :P. likely the black dude wil turn zombie and they will be forced to kill him. then bad things happen at the house and i will not give it away.

October 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
      • chris

u just did

October 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • happytam

Who the heck is army dude?

October 26, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
      • Me

I think he means Otis. The fat guy that shot the kind. He's not an army dude, he's wearing hunting camos....

October 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Chandra

The injured "dude" looked like Daryl to me, not some random army dude.

October 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  44. Lissa

You are sooo lucky! I've always wanted to be a zombie extra in a movie, esp. Walking Dead.

October 26, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  45. Albert

Great Story!! I too applied online but never got the call. I watched the episode you were talking about. Which zombie hand is yours reaching through the gate? Ha!! Thanks for the picture in words!

October 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  46. Fatman

Crap, I'm too fat to be a zombie. :(

October 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

On "Talking Dead" which aired after the last episode, one of the producers (who is himself a hefty fellow) said he intends to have some chubby zombies sooner or later, so there's hope for those of us who don't look like long distance runners.

October 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • DEADINSIDE

Maybe but you still have an intact brain!

October 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Albert

Lol!! I said the same thing to myself.

October 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • jspeed00

Super successful zombies SHOULD be a tad bit fluffy! There is still hope for us!

October 26, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • anneominous

Me too! Fat zombies could be used to represent the upper echolons of zombification. You don't get to be a Porky zombie by being crap at hunting the living. I want to see more fat flesh eaters. Who's with me?

October 26, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  47. Lee Van Cleef

why do people insist that the infected in 28 days later and REC are zombies? are people that dumb these days that they actually stop paying attention to the plot details?

October 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • GetOutOfMomsBasement

Really? Come on ya loser....

October 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

What a smug "I know more than you all do" comment. Living dead are living dead. If we want to call 'em zombies we will. Don't get so caught up in teensy details, you'll go blind.

October 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
      • Check your facts

Um, he's right. Living dead are living dead. That is correct. But the people in "28 Days Later" were not dead. They were just infected with a virus that they called rage. They even talked in the movie about trying to figure out how long it took for the infected to die from hunger. Ergo, they were not zombies. They were just sick people.

October 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
      • hornman

minute details? The main plot of the movie is that living people are infected with the RAGE virus. When they are infected they don't die and come back as a zombie. They remain a living person, but a living person who wants to rip you to pieces, beat your head in, tear out your spine, and spill your blood. Hence they are not "the living dead".

When they die they die.

October 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
      • NoMorePlease

Um, this is not a teensy detail. In Walking Dead, the zombies have to be shot in the head. In fact, they cut off a zombie's head and it remains alive until the shoot it through the eye with an arrow. In movies like 28 Days Later, the infected will die from being shot anywhere. Kind of a major plot point if you actually care about that sort of thing...

October 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • TWD RULES!

i would agree with you in 28 days later they were not eating people, they were beating them to death. that is not a zombie thing.

October 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  48. Jim

Get a life you liberal losers!

October 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • DEADINSIDE

Have you seen the GOP lineup????

October 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • *Facepalm*

Huuuurrrr Durrrr LIberal Heerrrpadeeeerrrrp...

Sing a new tune, you unimaginative loser.

October 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
      • Tomas

Poor girl. I would sggseut trying "E-mergen C" it's basically powdered flavored Vitamin C and it's a mando does of it too so it's knocks out almost anything, but it need to be taken regularly and she can take it too school and it mixes in with water or juice of her choice. also, try the Airborne efervesent tabs. those work well too. good luck!

February 1, 2012 at 1:28 am |
    • Leaf on the Wind

I'm neither liberal nor conservative, and thanks but I have a life, and it includes the occasional enjoyment of pop culture entertainment such as "The Walking Dead." You got a problem with that? Too bad. You think only liberals are geeks? Wrong. Crawl back under your rock and shut your pie hole, and leave this comment thread to those who enjoy the genre.

October 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
      • The Ponderer

I thought that I witnessed a group of Zombies last week! They were all so loud, smelly and ugly as they chased after some passing pedestrians, desperately trying grab hold of them and force them to coorperate! But, then I looked closer and realized that they were just some Tea Baggers protesting against Planned Parenthood! ...

October 26, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
      • Micutza

awesome can't wait awesome can't wait to see how its going to look when its done. do you look at a ucitpre of what you are going to draw or do you do this all from your imagination?

April 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • allanhowls

Funny, but I thought it was Republicans like Perry and Bachmann who were going on and on and on about this guy who rose from the dead. Sounds like they're the ones digging zombie fiction...

October 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
      • Bill

Ha! :D

October 26, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  49. Bub

Idiots...You get just as much of a spoiler as you do watching scenes from the next episode. Shut up with the foolishness.

October 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  50. Jk

They have ZOMBIES in the next episode? Geesh, thanks for ruining it for me you jerk. I wanted it to be a surprise, but your comedic article and geekish excitement ruined my LIFE!

October 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

;-)

October 26, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  51. Jody

Come on guys, did you really think that they wouldn't get away?

October 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  52. undead

I would love to a zombie extra, too bad they are filming in Atlanta and not LA.

October 26, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  53. ThatGuy

(verse 1)
    I want to be the very best,
    Like no one ever was.
    To catch them is my real test,
    To train them is my cause.

I will travel across the land,
    Searching far and wide.
    Each Pokemon to understand
    The power that's inside

(Gotta catch 'em all)

It's you and me
    I know it's my destiny

Pokemon!

You're my best friend
    In a world we must defend
    Pokemon

(Gotta catch 'em all)

A heart so true
    Our courage will pull us through
    You teach me and I'll teach you
    Pokemon

(Gotta catch 'em all)

yeah

(verse 2)
    every challenge along the way
    with courage i will face
    i will battle everyday
    to claim my rightful place

come with me the time is right
    theres no better team
    arm and arm well win the fight
    its always been our dream

Pokemon

Chorus
    (Gotta catach 'em all)

its you and me
    i know its my destiny

Pokemon

Oh, your my best friend
    in a world we must defend

Pokemon!

A heart so true
    our courage will pull us through
    you teach me and ill teach you
    Pokemon

(Gatta catach 'em all)x4

Yeah!

Pokemon!

October 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • *Facepalm*
      October 26, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Erin

Hah! And now, rearing the fruits of skimming through all these moronic comments, Pokemon Red is calling my name. Kekeke

October 30, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
  54. Jade

Thanks for spoiling next week's episode. Maybe you should have checked with AMC before spilling the beans, and put a spoiler alert up.

October 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • What Spoiler

Did he really tell us something we didn't already assume?

October 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • dballs

Here is a spoiler alert. You are a loser if you just got upset about the obscure details of the show mentioned in the article. Way to live your live living!

October 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • brad

He didn't spoil anything though. The teaser for next week showed the two of them running down the hall away from the zombies, having clearly escaped the gated area.

October 26, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

You need some cheese to go with that whine? He describes zombies chasing two people clutching medical supplies down a high school hallway, and another chase across a football field. If the last episode didn't set you up for that, you weren't paying attention.

October 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Todd

Why don't you look at the FIRST SENTENCE in italics, where is says MINOR SPOILER ALERT

October 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Chandra

OMFG the dude put in the intro "Minor Spoiler Alert"....last I checked that meant things would get spoiled.

Am I taking crazy pills or are people really that stupid?

October 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  55. Chris Murphy

whatawickedgang.com has a cool new zombie thing going

October 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  56. Keith

Thanks for ruining the next episode of The Walking Dead for me. Smart guy, this episode has not aired yet, the last scene in the prior episode was the two of them stuck inside the gate at the school, showing the gate and all the zombies. Why should I even watch the show now...do you have any more spoilers you want to give us?

October 26, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • I Like The Walking Dead

Calm down Keith. Even in the "scenes from the next episode" they showed immediately after the last eps that the two were running away from the walkers – they clearly got out of that gated area. I'm sure there's plenty reason to watch next week – like, does the fat guy die (I predict he does, I consider him a "Star Trek crewmember with a red shirt") and does the little girl get found or is she a walker now?

October 26, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
      • TWD RULES!

Otis will not die, sorry. and your right, nothing was given away by this writer sinec everythng he said you can see in previews.

October 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
      • TWD RULES!

Otis will not die, sorry. and your right, nothing was given away by this writer since everythng he said you can see in previews.

October 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • CaEd

What, you thought the zombies would get these guys?
      The promos for next week show them running (not saying where, wouldn't want to spoil it for ya).

Remember, they are the good guys and can't be killed off too soon.
      Even Otis will be around until he appoligizes for shooting little Carl.
      After that, I suspect that something terrible will happen to Otis, the Doc and his crew.

October 26, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
      • TWD RULES!

If you know anything about the Walking Dead it should be that anyone can die at anytime. sur eit doesnt follow the comic book, but its close. its only going to get worse and worse for all of them.

October 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Paper

No one made you keep reading it, you could have stopped yourself. Instead you decided to finish reading it and complain about it?

October 26, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • DS1

Jeez people – NO SPOILER was here beyond what was showing in the "next-on" trailer clips.

1st - there is a "minor spoiler Alert" at the top of the article...unless that is newly added.

2nd - as the others have said - The "next-on" (which I was surprised at) already spoiled it – it shows them running down the H.S. hallway, with medical supply bags, and being chased. Exactly the seen he just described.

As for the football field – they showed that too. And he article never mentions who or what they are chasing...so no spoiler there either.

October 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  57. jim

Get a life

October 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  58. stevie68a

Isn't it interesting they'd showed a close up of jesus in the church? He's the original zombie!

October 26, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • trigtwit palin... America's favorite tard baby

Hey ! I'm a zombie, too !!

October 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • Patrick

A fictional zombie. Jesus didn't exist. But I'm pretty sure that the bible made no mention of Jesus eating people. But if he did, Easter would be a much more interesting holiday. I win.

October 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
      • you are wrong my good sir

jesus was in fact real – check out your local history book :) now the religious aspect is up to your own discretion!

October 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
      • I Like The Walking Dead

Virtually all scholars – atheist, agnostic and theist – agree that Jesus of Nazareth most certainly existed and are almost equally certain that same man was crucified by the Romans around ~30AD or so. Just wanted to clear that up.

October 26, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
      • KCG

Didn't he say something along the lines of...
        "Take this cup and drink from it, for it is my blood" and "Take this bread and eat it, for it is my body"? Zombie?

October 26, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
      • The Ponderer

Actually, there were a number of legendary Bible characters referred to as "Jesus", Jesus of Nazereth, Jesus Christ, Barjesus, Jesus of Justus, though there is still no evidence that all of these legends actually refer to the same person. We encounter the same problems and issue with the different stories about "Mary". Mother Mary, Mary Magdelene, Mary of Rome, Mary of Bethany, etc. How many "Marys" were there? No one knows.

October 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
      • TWD RULES!

If those of you saying that there is hsitorical evidence of the existence of JEsus could just produce it this woul dbe a none issues, but in the last 2000 years the has been no evidence at all given. not even the bible can be considered right since it was not written during the lifetime of anyoen that would have met him.

the other damning part is the fact that the story of Jesus is a mirror image of Horus who suposedly live 1800 y ears before Jesus suposedly lived.

October 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
      • Riska

Cheers now!I do Cheers now!I do all this from my imagination, I just set my sktech pad up and start filming me drawing, I've never been a fan of any sort of time lapse videos, as I like to split it up into 3 or more parts and I like the spontaneous skteching to generate new ideas and drawings Quick skteching is the name of the game!

April 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
  59. Jess

Ahh I'm so jealous. I'd love to play a zombie extra! It sounds like it was a blast and I'm sure the exhaustion the next day was completely worth it!

October 26, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

Ditto that! I'd give up a night's sleep for a stagger-on role as a zombie.

October 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  60. ctw

Hey knuckle head, how about a spoiler alert at the top of your article? I didn't want to find out that they got away from the aschool until I WATCHED it. HEEELLOOOOO

October 26, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • Paul

He's playing you–they actually all get killed.

Oh darn...now *I've* spoiled it...

October 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • TWD RULES!

nothing he said spoiles anything, you can see all of what he said in the next epsiodes previews.

October 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • wdf

For everybody complaining about the lack of a spoiler alert, you're clearly not paying attention. This is at the top of the article: "MINOR SPOILER ALERT: Do not read any further if you don't want to know anything at all about the next episode of "The Walking Dead."

October 26, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • DS1

Jeez people - NO SPOILER was here beyond what was showing in the "next-on" trailer clips.

The "next-on" (which I was surprised at) already spoiled it - it shows them running down the H.S. hallway, with medical supply bags, and being chased. Exactly the seen he just described.

As for the football field - they showed that too. And he article never mentions who or what they are chasing...so no spoiler there either.

October 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  61. rhea

super jealous :)

October 26, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  62. Laura

Michael, great artical. I loved reading it and congrats on your role as a zombie!!!

October 26, 2011 at 11:28 am |
    • Alkali

'Artical'...why do i bother reading CNN comments anymore.

October 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
      • Leaf on the Wind

Because you're a nit-picking troll?

October 26, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
      • Mike

'Alkali'...why don't people bother to give people real names anymore.

October 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm |