The 'Star Wars' divide: A tale of two costumes
Which "Star Wars" costume would you rather your child wear for Halloween?
October 25th, 2011

The 'Star Wars' divide: A tale of two costumes

Editor's note: Erika D. Peterman is a Florida-based writer and editor, and the co-creator of the comics blog Girls-Gone-Geek.com.

Parents try, with varying degrees of success, to shape our kids’ pop culture tastes. For many a geek mom and dad, this extends to Halloween — or as I like to call it, a day of nationally sanctioned cosplay.

Of course, even the gentlest suggestion is a form of projecting. (“What’s not to like about this Wolverine costume?”) But even if they bite, it’s only a matter of time before they start, you know, thinking for themselves.

My son and I were on the same page when he first discovered the original Star Wars trilogy a few years ago. He latched onto those movies in a major way and displayed the all-too-familiar enthusiasm that drove my mother nuts from roughly 1977 to 1983. In ways good and bad, the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

How to talk to your kids about "Star Wars"

Enter the Prequel Years. Slowly but surely, he began to fall for the despised “Phantom Menace,” “Attack of the Clones” and the slightly less awful “Revenge of the Sith,” which he’s only seen in parts because of that whole leg-amputating, flesh-burning thing. These films are watchable only because Ewan McGregor did such a solid Obi-Wan, but they nevertheless became his favorite of the six. Anakin — I’m sorry; “Annie” — was his ace and there was nothing I could do about it. I let it go.

Or at least I thought I had.

When the annual Halloween costume catalog arrived recently, both kids dove into it and homed in on the good stuff. My daughter stuck with her earlier decision to go as Uhura (#win), an excellent choice that had nothing to do with me. My son went to the Star Wars section and we spotted a seriously sharp X-Wing fighter pilot jumpsuit. Battle of Yavin, yo!

Me: “This is a great costume for you.”

Him: “Oh, yeah. It’s cool. I think I want to go as Anakin, though.”

Me: “But it’s got a helmet and everything! It’s a little more expensive, but I don’t mind.”

Him: “It’s not that I don’t like it. I’d just rather have the Anakin costume.”

After my pitch failed, I had to accept that the Halloween costume of my childhood dreams was not necessarily his. Each generation gets to decide what it likes, and I don’t want to be the cranky oldster who can’t see past 1985. At least I could relate, unlike my poor mother who was utterly baffled by my tendency to say “I have a bad feeling about this” at random times.

Though Anakin strikes me as whiny jerk with impulse control issues, I sort of get why a kid would like him. He thinks the authority figures are holding him back, gets into trouble constantly, and reacts based on emotion instead of logic. From “Attack of the Clones” on, he’s essentially a big child with amazing powers and the coolest accessory ever. (And to be fair, Luke could whine a blue streak, too.) I also must admit that the “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” series is good, as was the previous Cartoon Network show that chronicled Anakin’s padawan period.

So, fine. He gets to be Anakin and express his love of Star Wars his way. Mom will keep her comments to herself and let the youngsters take the wheel.

But I just might get that jumpsuit for myself. Dragon*Con is only a year away.

Are you dressing up in a group costume for Hallween? Whether it’s a family of crayons or you and your best friend as salt and pepper shakers, we want to see what you come up with. Upload pictures or videos of your most creative group costume idea—from years past or this year—and the best responses will be featured on CNN. The deadline is Thursday, October 27.

1. wisdomVSknowledge

Let the child select his own costume. It will fit the force of his nature. If he chooses the dark force... put him up for adoption before Christmas!

October 25, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  2. kcv

Funny how Star Wars has a way of being part of EVERYTHING!
    I'm a 36 yr old female, who was never really into Star Wars, except for liking Princess Lea's hair, but my older brother was hooked and I became slightly familiar with "the force."
    Fast forward to years later, and I married an "undercover Star Wars Geek," who somehow converted me to a fan! I'm back in school, studying world religions and our first assignment was to watch four short clips of Star Wars and relate it to other religions. At first I thought it was a joke, but the discussion was extremely interesting, and it's amazing how we all saw aspects of a variety of religions....especially Anakin's"immaculate conception."
    Love your daughters costume choice, hope you post pics!

October 25, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  3. tonelok

Admiral Ackbar or nothing.
    The new trilogy is a trap!

October 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Kyran

We have no choice General tonelok! We can't repel special effects of that magnitude!

October 25, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  4. Vadernator

The 'Haydensen' should have never been cast for Episode III, in my opinion, the actor lacked the maturity to convincingly portray the character's descent into evil, the forsaking of his friends and family, etc, moreover, he was still too young... I always imagined Vader becoming Vader at 35, not 25!

October 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  5. Brian

What, you didn't try the Jedi Mind Trick? "This is not the costume you are looking for"

October 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Dan

OMG!! I fell out of my chair laughing!!!

October 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • boogie

solid joke....good job...lol

October 25, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Kyran

cause he would have said "Dad, mind tricks don't work on me! Only Money! No Anakin, No costume, No deal!"

October 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  6. deanz

he should be convinced to go as Mog or Lonestar or maybe Lord Helmut. Of course, there is always Yogurt, but I hate Yogurt. Even the kind with little strawberries in it.

October 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • INTERNET

THIS IS THE INTERNET. YOUR INTERNET HAS BEEN REVOKED DUE TO LACK OF FUNNY. PLEASE GET RID OF YOUR COMPUTER OR DO NOT THINK OUT LOUD ANYMORE. THANK YOU. ~SOCIETY...I MEAN INTERNET

October 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Jared

Prepare ship for ludicrous speed! Fasten all seat belts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall! Cancel the three ring circus! Secure all animals in the zoo–

October 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  7. CNNuthin

Oooor you can try to be creative with Halloween costumes. Instead of buying something pre-packaged, go to the store and mix and match. Maybe get a few pieces and then go home and have a creative experience with your child as you try to make something interesting out of the pieces and some home sewing techniques?

October 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Kyran

That's crazy talk! You must be a witch! A WITCH!!!

October 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • No One Is Safe

BURN HER!!!

October 26, 2011 at 10:14 am |
  8. de`pain

Old Star Wars > New Star Wars – in every way possible.

Move along. Move along.

October 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  9. Marc Shaw

When my child is born, as far as I am concerned, there are no prequels. Those sorry wastes of celluloid...sorry, digital camera space...that dragged the name of the holy trilogy through the mud never happened. Dress how you like out there in the world, young man, but under my roof, there is no Annie!

October 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • MomofTeens

Get back to us in birth+10 and we'll see if you get your way.

October 25, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • jason

See here is the problem, your not playing with the toys or dressing up (maybe you are) but kids are older enough to pick what they want. Some ppl say that eps. 1-3 suck. They are just stick in the 80's. I grew up with star wars, loved it from the get go, Eps. 4-6 were awsome, but I wanted to know how it started. Wanted to complete the story, not just having the ending. Some ppl for get that its the story that drives a movie, not the other way around. Do I have some problems with 1-3? I sure do, but to be fair I also have problems with eps.4-6. I just care about a great story and of course awsome lightsaber battles. I was just happy that my oldest wants to be a sith and my younger wants to be anikin. Im going as far as making a jedi rope from scratch. If it makes him happy then Im happy. Just want to share my love of star wars with him and have him enjoy it like i have. Should matter on which episode, as long as he gets into it

October 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  10. Lee's

why not be one of the womp rats luke would bullseye in his T-16 back home? Sure it may look like a chuckie cheese costume but what the heck!

October 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  11. The Unselfish Meme

Bossk.

October 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  12. jdurand1970

Forget this Luke/Anakin nonsense. It has always been about, and always will be about, the awesomeness that is Han Solo!

October 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Kyran

Youtube Han shot last.

October 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  13. Trollus Maximus

These are not the costumes you're looking for... You want the Darth Vader, 3 aisles down on the left.

October 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Vader mom

Sigh. That is my boy. Only 10 and he has been Darth Vader 3 times already.

October 25, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  14. OBE1

These aren't the digs you're looking for.

October 25, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  15. CJ

Screw it. Let him dress up as Mal Reynolds from Firefly.

October 25, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  16. the_dude

Make your kid go as a bag of rocks if he doesn't like it. No wonder kids are so stupid and selfish these days.

October 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Boredatwork

A) I am sure you always llistened and did exactly what your parents told you to do and B) is it such a terrible idea that a child knows exactly what he wants? The young generation may not be the brilliant minded generation that you came from, but you have to remember... everything they know they learned from the older generation they call parents!!!

October 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • mdubbs

As a direct result of YOUR influence as an adult? Something tells me you're an angry teenager or in your early twenties. You still have a lot of growing up to do.

October 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  17. John

With all that is going on in the world this is on the front page of CNN why exactly???

October 25, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • 'cause

you love, love, love to read it.

October 25, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Alex

Duh, it gets attention. I mean, you clicked on it.

October 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • MomofTeens

Not with what is going on in the world but in spite of what is going on in the world, a little bit of fun with a minor conflict with your child over a treasured memory vs. their world view is what will keep this world going – in spite of itself.

October 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Kyran

BECAUSE – James Earl Jones used to introduce the CNN logo, and he is the voice of Darth Vader???

October 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • mdubbs

Why did you take the time to click on it AND comment in it then?

October 25, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  18. wr

You know, the stances in these two pictures really tell the whole story. There's young Luke, ready to do his job. There's little Annie, striking a pose and trying to look badass.

October 25, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  19. Illumin8ted

I had a very bad feeling about the comments section of this article.

...who am I kidding I have a very bad feeling about the comments for ALL articles on the web.

And if you don't hate me yet... I like ALL SIX EPISODES!!!

Episode IV Saw it as a kid in theaters... didn't care for Luke, Han Solo was more my style!

Episode V – this one was lost on me as a kid, but as an adult, from a non-fanboy perspective the best movie (Lucas did not direct)

Episode VI – Good wins. Jabba's Palace was one of the best scenes of all 6. Luke finally acted like a man.

Episode I – Jar Jar Binks is perhaps the most annoying character in any movie EVAR! But I understand his purpose in the storyline. Darth Maul saved this movie for me.

Episode II – For me, one of the most visually impressive movies I can think of. Starting with Jedis on Geonosis... it is like crack for the eyes.

Episode III – By this time I had given up hope that acting could actually occur in this series... I can't say it happened... but relatively speaking this was the best drama in the series next to Empire Strikes Back.

...in case you wanted to know.

October 25, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Paul

I pretty much agree with everything that you've posted here. Star Wars geeks agreeing? Maybe a first.

October 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • MomofTeens

My defining moment came when the last Star Trek movie prequel came out and my kids wanted to see it with me. I said no, I was NOT going to spend the entire movie explaining everything. Their comment "but we know all about the red & black guy with the two lights". Talk about fail in passing on my interests!

October 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Kyran

I agree with everything you said, but a sidenote must be mentioned about the tin foil biting feeling I get from seeing the newly added music scene in Jedi, and the famous "Noooooooo!" for the Blu-Rays.

October 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  20. Lobotomy Jones

Just dress the kid up as Darth Vader and he can still call himself Anakin.

October 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • word

excellent!

October 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Kyran

That name no longer has any meaning for him!

October 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  21. Raevyn

There's nothing to see here. Move along.

October 25, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Geeshgirl

There's nothing to see here...move along...

October 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
      • Benny

OHHH!!! Look at this!!!!!

October 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  22. DonFC

Buddy, you got control issues BAD. It would seem that the only "proper" costume is one that is free from any projection of less than desireable behavior traits. This is after all, a two to three hour exercise on one evening of every year. Grow up so you kids can. This whole thing strikes me as whinney as any star wars character, and YOU are modeling that behavior to your son.

Don't get caught in the trap of coercing your son to live out your fantasies.

October 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • ChillOut

Lighten up! Seriously! Did you call child services on this lady after you wrote that comment?!?

October 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • AmericanSam

He let his son pick what he wanted. In his defense, the prequel trilogy was awful, and I would want my son to see how good the original trilogy was and not be so drawn in by the special-effects-crazy new trilogy.

October 25, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • Matthew

First, the article was written by a woman, not a man (Erika, guys). Second, I hardly got the sense that she was being overbearing at all from the article. Quite the opposite. It wasn't a piece about her compelling her son to her will; it was about her own self-reflection in learning to accept as a parent that your kids will ultimately steer their own course. A good read along those lines. Lighten up a touch rather than just looking for faults to vent upon.

October 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  23. alan funkle

thanks for this post, lucas needs another 900 billion dollars on toys after selling his soul to the toy god with return of the jedi. the prequels suck and are completely unecessary and ruin the writing of empire strikes back one of the best scifi movies ever made. before empire sequels were not made and frowned upon just as much as remakes are today. the prequel movies pretty well did suck especialy episode I while III was ok yet still ruined the mystery of empire strikes back cliffhangers by revealing who lukes father is so i hope you watch the original trilogy first and the prequel trilogy 2nd instead of 1-6. Lucas should have had a love triangle between anakin, padme and obi wan with everyone guessing if obi wan or anakin was lukes dad. I love star trek and star wars, really dissapointed with the lameness of the reboots for both franchises. They should have just continued star wars 4-6 and made them R rated as the majority of people loving star wars as kids are now adults and made an R rated star trek (as well as bond). At least star wars pretty much kept its music unlike horrid 2009's star trek reboot score wich has sucked since removing goldsmith/horners music after 4 except first contact.
    Personaly i would go with a darth vader or stormtrooper outfit. anakin's costume looks hekka femmy :P. cant stand haydeson as a hero anymore than christian bale or daniel craig. they all go to the billy zane spam charm school of acting while at least haydeson quips and smiles once in awhile lol. end of rant..

October 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • alan funkle

p.s. George the greatness of star wars 4-6 is that darth vader is a complete mystery and you dont know who or what he is wich makes him terryfing and mysterious.

October 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Juls

Holy run-on sentence.

While I agree with you that Empire Strikes Back is the best in the series, and is one of the best sci-fi movies of all time, I do not agree that the pre-quels ruined anything.
      Revenge of the Sith is my 2nd favorite of all 6 – with the Obi-Wan/Anikin fight scense on Mustafar probably my favorite scene out of all 6 movies.

Regarding Lucas selling his soul with all the merchandising – to be fair, it is how he paid for/recouped his own money that he put into the 1st three movies.

I love all 6 movies – some more than others. But, in the end, it is a complete story and I love it. I love that it turns out Star Wars is about Anikan Skywalker – NOT Luke Skywalker.

October 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  24. Free Thinker Seeking Reason

Really sweet article!!! Thanks, CNN!!!

Our kids are 8 and 11 and enjoy Star Wars almost as much as their parents, but they're not seeing Episodes 2 and 3 for at least a few more years.

October 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  25. shaylee

The author should just NOT MENTION the prequels to his kids...we grew up without them, why can't the other kids?

October 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • AmericanSam

There are other forces at play when it comes to what your kids know about. Kids at school are always talking about "the Clone Wars" and "Anakin Skywalker" and "droidekas." It's disappointing.

October 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  26. DarkDrew

Whiney Anakin or Whiney Luke, Not too much of a choice there.

October 25, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  27. hig

I fell asleep at the original Star Wars in 1977 and haven't watched a second of any of the other lame-ass Star Wars movies since. They all suck...get a life people.

October 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Kurf

Wow you are so cool, I bet you watch Fast and Furious on repeat.

It's not our fault you went to public schools and have a low attention span. 😦

October 25, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
      • Revengel

Hey now...can't we love both?

Went to private school – Love the first three Star Wars flicks – own all the Fast & the Furios flicks as well!

Sorry – had to reply!

😛

October 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
      • Synapse

Kurf- wrong about him. Too old to be a F&F fan.
        I took time from work in '77- saw the 1st show screened in my area- the place was packed- The film broke in the "scrawl" at the beginning- everyone hung in- one of my most memorable film experiences- "got" that it was a mix of cowboy serials / mythological stuff / and the next step after Ray Harryhausen. Loved it !

October 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
      • kurfkurf

Hey! I went to public school and I don't have a ... what's that... ohhhhhh Shiny!

October 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
      • Matthew

Aaaah, now I finally see why Star Wars was so popular...the hundreds of millions of private school kids out there who "get it." Or was it that the very few private school kids out there just saw the movie a few thousand times each? Nice take.

October 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • johnharry

internet trolls, gotta love'm
      actually we dont

October 25, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Martha C

I'm dressing as a generic Jedi for Halloween....Mandalorian armor not ready yet! 😀

October 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Synapse

One more thing Kurf- When HE went to public school, they were actually smokin' hot places of learning. Gutted by the "lower taxes, at any cost" crowd.

October 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  28. Unknown

I think both were spoiled crybabies. In the beginning of Episode IV, all Luke did was complain and complain about doing farm work on Tatooine. It is no wounder people claimed he was just like his father.

October 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • shaylee

The author could have just NOT MENTIONED the "prequels"...

October 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
      • shaylee

didn't mean to post under this one 😛

October 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Revengel

I think what many are upset/disappointed in is while in Star Wars Luke begins as a whiner...he eventually shows a different, more mature side.

Aniken (or as some have called him "Whiney-kin") never gets to that point.

October 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  29. C

The prequel trilogy is terrible compared to the original trilogy.

October 25, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  30. Revengel

The above was from the new classic: "A Sith Car Named Desire".

October 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  31. Andrew

I am a Star Trek geek and proud of it. Star Wars is...OK. But I hear you...Anakin was a crybaby.

October 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  32. Quinten T.

The Prequels are the best Star Wars by far, better stories and better actors. And I am a director!

October 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Revengel

Hmmm...The Krunk smokes STRONG with this one...

Just kidding. To each her/his own.

October 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
      • AmazedinFL

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one...

October 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • @quinten

But not *that* director. If you really were who you claim to be, you'd know his first name is spelled QUINTIN.

October 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
      • Quentin

I just wanted to point out your failure in the cave. It's spelled Quentin Tarantino.

October 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Damon

You're also a liar. I can't believe that anyone would seriously think so...

October 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Yeah right

I'm guessing the only thing you direct are your bowel movements.

October 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Lila

From Dusk to Dawn's prequel was such a hit, they forgot to list QT name. Go figure.

October 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  33. MacFarren

I am just pleased to hear that a parent DIDN'T let their child see the blood and gore of Episode III which wasn't age-appropriate for them. Kudos to you Erika! Fewer and fewer parents even think to edit the shows their children watch, no matter WHAT they are.

October 25, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  34. Greenspam

I find your lack of faith in my old Star Wars costume... disturbing.

October 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  35. Michael Bay

In my opinion the new ones are "lightyears" ahead of the old ones. The special effects are amazing! In my opinion, special effects make a movie – everyone knows that! The old ones were bland and lacked flavor...and I am a director!

October 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Optimus Prime

Your movies suck by the way...

October 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  36. Joe Mama

What is it about female geeks that annoys me so? Maybe it's just the ones that go out of their way to emphasize it. It seems so desperate. I dunno. Actually now that I think of it, they all annoy me.

October 25, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • dewed

Anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Let it go...

October 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Kerouwack

Luckily no one cares what you think.

October 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Jester_Gloves_Are_Off

They can be quite annoying indeed, but hey, better than the common blonde haired American that is fascinated with the latest makeup line *yawn...cough..yawn again*

October 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Lila

wah wah wah wah wah

October 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • hawkechik

Misogynist much?

October 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • polly

wow, you're as whiney as Anakin and Luke.

October 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  37. Ryan

the new ones were terrible i coudn't even make it through the last one, just shows you how terrible hollywood is now on movie making. That is why they are remaking every movie ever made in the 70's and 80's, no one can be creative anymore.

October 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • NickFury

They have been remaking movies since.... well the 1920s....
      The prequel SW were very bad, the writing, the acting and the characters..... Sure the special effect were better, but so were the ones in the FedEx commercial...

October 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  38. Frank

My dad forced me to dress like Little Orphan Annie, and I am a better man for it now!

MAKE HIM GO AS LUKE!!!!!

October 25, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • dewed

You must have missed the Star Wars Robot Chicken shows...Anakin Skywalker *is* "Little Orphan Annie."

October 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • EricLr

I agree. And, as a bonus, It'll be something else for you to talk about 20 years from now in the group therapy sessions when you're trying to ween him off the heroin.

October 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  39. Frank

After reading this drivel, my butt hurts. Seriously, IT HURTS. I'm going to go make some pasta now and look for butt cream. D*mn, another three minutes of my life I can never get back.

October 25, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  40. Lila

It's not that it's cool to bash the prequels but for all the effects and money available to Lucas they turned out extremely bland.The actors were good in the originals. Han Solo had great lines. The movies were funny and bordered on being campy with original(for that time) special effects. Lucas himself said he had to make to do with what he had because he couldn't create the effects he wanted, they didn't exist at the time. He was very creative with the limits he had to work with and he created something amazing.

October 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Cap'n

That statement always bothered me. How can you say that the effects needed for the first half of the story don't exist, so I'll make do with current technology and make the second half of the story, you know, the part that takes place AFTER the first half. Makes no sense.

October 25, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
      • JacinJax

You have to remember that even though it was written as 6 episodes they weren't sure they'd make enough money to film another one. So Lucas picked the one he thought was the best...and he was right!!

October 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  41. tim

You should have forced him to be the x wing fighter, that way you can live your childhood fantasy vicariously. Any self respecting parent wouldnt be caught dead letting their child genuinely enjoy portraying a tasteless character like young anakin. Its completely justified to take all the fun out of a child's process of choosing and taking ownership of their own costume. What would other nerdy parents think?

October 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  42. SomeGuy

Star Wars s*cks and kids are stupid. Is this news?

October 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • Duane

Star Wars sucks so bad it is a multi billion dollar industry spawning off 6 movies and countless others who received their experience from Lucas Films. They are the most recognized characters and movies on the PLANET. Yet your opinion means what?

October 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
      • rizzo

Just because something makes boatloads of money doesn't mean it's good.

October 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
      • HamsterDancer

@rizzo
        Boatloads of money don't necessarily mean its good, but it's a good indicator that something is completely embraced by popular culture so much that it is totally woven into it. The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, the original Frankenstein, Dracula, and King Kong movies made alot of money but the fact that they've made a significant cultural impact and are beloved shows they are thought of as good by the culture. Another 30 years from now, people will still be enjoying the Star Wars saga and whatever continuations may come from it.

October 25, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  43. George L

People only like the originals better because that is what they grew up on. Just because the new ones seem foreign to you does not mean that they are foreign to a child growing up with them. You may dislike the acting or the abundance of special effects in the new ones, but that is only because you are comparing them to the old ones, which you loved so much as a kid. The kids are growing up on a different trilogy then you are – get over it.

October 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • Say A.

shut up

October 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Ava

I think i may agree with you! My dad grew up with the originals and I liked them well enough but the prequels seemed so much better (well not the first one but the second nad third). I could really identify with Anakin. I think he was a kid doing impuslive things and he kind of backed himself into a corner and he embraced the dark side. I understood Anakin way more than I ever connected with Luke or Leia or Han.

October 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Seidan

3 words to explain why I hate the new ones........Jar Jar Binks!

October 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Jim in PA

One word: Ewoks Kinda puts JarJar Binks in perspective, doesn't it?

October 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Eminn

Yep, all the things that people complain about in the prequels are in the original trilogy as well:

– Wooden acting
      – Lame humor
      – Cardboard characters
      – Plot points that don't make sense
      – Elements that seem to exist solely for merchandising
      – Elements that seem meant to solely to appeal to children

For some reason, many people are blind to those faults in the original trilogy (to the point of vehemently denying the very existence even though they are obvious to non-fans) but can't see past them in the prequels.

As a non-Star Wars fan but movie buff, I grade the movies like this:

C- Phantom Menace
      B Attack of the Clones
      B+ Revenge of the Sith
      B+ A New Hope
      A The Empire Strikes Back
      C- Return on of the Jedi

The original trilogy is slightly better but not vastly better as nostalgia blinded fans would make it seem.

October 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
      • AKSean

You lost me when you gave Attack of the Clones a B. That movie was the worst of the six. Hayden Christiansen is a horrible actor and the writing for that installment was so bad even decent performances from Portman and MacGregor couldn't redeem it.

October 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • mkub

I can't believe I'm getting into a StarWars debate online, but seriously. I saw the new ones maybe 5 years after I saw the originals (I was in junior high when episode 1 came out), and yeah, the originals are a lot better. 3 words: Jar Jar Binks. I have a co-worker now who still talks like him, so I'm still a little bitter. I even had an insane crush on Ewan McGregor (had the life-size talking obi-wan cut-out, say whhhhhhat!), but still, the originals were just more powerful somehow.

October 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • GreenWoman

The reason I love the originals is that they are about becoming a braver, better person, and triumphing over evil. The reason I hate the newer films is that they are about personal failure and descent into evil. I don't like the originals because I grew up on them (I was in my 20s in 1977) but because I like the story arc and its lessons better.

October 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  44. Sevan Paris

Just remember, the important thing is to make sure your kid realizes Han shot first ...

October 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • James

best comment ever! Well done.

October 25, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  45. oh please

how the hell do you deserve to write "articles?". Whats next your memoirs on a sunday picnic?

October 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • Raevyn

She's a blogger.....look up "blog".

October 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  46. Elmeaux

Loved the originals. Couldn't get into the prequels. I preferred puppets and fur suits to CG creatures. The CG stuff looked very out of depth from the humans. The actors always looked like they were speaking to empty spaces. In Empire, when Luke spoke with Yoda on Dagobah, he was really looking at the creature. In the prequels, it was all vacant stares and maybes.

Star Wars/Empire/Return were STORIES that happened to require FX. The three prequels were nothing but showcases for computer technology – the "because I can" theory.

And Lucas blew it when he changed the originals. Crikey, what a mess. It's like throwing a can of yellow paint at the Mona Lisa...because someone thought it needed more colour.

October 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • Spenser Amadeus

Amen, brother!

October 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  47. iSithmypants

If you were to lay both of those images before a child and ask them which one they'd rather be, they'd go with Anakin. No kid wants to go as a guy in a bright orange jumpsuit. All they see is the cool leather they get to wear. Plus the cartoon would help sway their decision.

October 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
  48. Jason S

Kick your kids butt!

October 25, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  49. ttyymmnn

Annie? Really? We're not talking about the little orphan here. It's "Ani."

October 25, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • Paul

But every time his name was used in the movie, it sounded like a girls name.

October 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • roblusk71

Technically he is little orphan ani

October 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
      • MIster Reader

😀

October 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  50. swmom

My 6 year-old son was a Clone Trooper one year, then Anakin (same year my other son was Darth Vadar–they actually understood the humor of them being the same person that year) and lastly, X-Wing Luke. He loves all six movies but being Luke Skywalker was his favorite. Beware, the "helmet" that comes with the X-Wing costume is pretty flimsy, but the rest of the costume was awesome.

October 25, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  51. J

Great blog.

October 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
  52. Obi -Wan

My son is going as Darth Maul. We did a test run on the face makeup last weekend and it turned out amazing.

October 25, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • NOT MY CHAIR

you have the coolest son out of all these people keep up the good work

October 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Seahawks

Cool man. My kids and I are trying to go to a Seahawks game as Darth Maul only in blue, green, and white. It is going to be sick. bad dad.

October 25, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
      • Obi -Wan

Am pretty excited as this is the first year he's into a costume that is actually supposed to look like a character as opposed to some sort of costume that just looks like something that is supposed to make you think of a character, ala Optimus Prime last year. I've got my Obi Wan robe and our lightsabers and he's got big plans to act out all sorts of battles at every house.

October 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  53. Movies

suck anyway. Why can't folks create their own characters instead of relying on someone elses imagination?

October 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • LaLa

Because kids want the backstory ... and to BE that character for one night.

October 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
      • Movies

Maybe do a play or scenario game outside of holloween so they can enjoy the character more than just once a year where everyone becomes cliche with their dress.

I'm just feeling argumentative today. I really don't care (hypocritical – I'm going thriller style for work).

October 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  54. MiketheElectrician

I don't care if it does look like "what a piece of junk", give me the Millenium Falcon, and I am a happy man..

October 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  55. jon

I really hate the 'new starwars movies suck' fanboys. I grew up on the originals...the new ones are every bit has corny and glorious – those whining like a nerd 'elite' and just enjoy the freaking genre.

October 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • MODU

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the new movies (other than Jar Jar).

October 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
      • Paul

...Poor direction, awful acting, contrived story..... that covers it.

October 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
      • Lee Van Cleef

nothing wrong other than Jar Jar? really? what about the midi chlorian expalination of the Force?

Congratulations! you have Star Wars AIDS! but don't worry, it's a good thing!

October 25, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • JonsGey

New fan boyz old fan boyz-- it still makes you gay!

October 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • Barry

nothing wrong with the new movies, except for the overwhelming fact that Hayden Christiansen could possibly be the worst actor on the planet and his performance destroyed what could have been decent movies and dragged them down into the realm of near unwatchability.

October 25, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
      • Paul

It wasn't just him. Even Samuel L. turned in his worst ever performance. Liam was fairly wasted talent. And young Annikan, puh-lease.

October 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
      • MODU

If you are old enough to remember, the said similar things about Mark Hamill too when the first movies came out. And let's be honest, outside of "Sea Quest," what was Hamill's major acting "success" (and I mean acting, not voice overs)?

October 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Really?

So, having an opinion makes you a fanboi? Those movies were god awful, from plot, to acting, to direction... If thoroughly disliking those garbage films makes me a fanboi, sign me up.

October 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
      • Joe

Samuel L. Jackson as a jedi...nuff said

October 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  56. Melissa

What made the third movie was Ewan McGregor getting Obi-Wan perfect. Everything else was meh. The other two sucked.

But ohhh, I love the original three. When I was a teenager, I used to daydream about Luke. I even have a lightsaber on my shelf that lights up and makes noises when you move it or hit it. I've been debating making a Jedi costume for Dragon Con.

October 25, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • JonsGey

I just had a day dream about you using the light saber to pleasure yourself.

October 25, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
      • Melissa

Grow up troll.

October 25, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
      • JonsGey

:-)–|-<- U got me sportin' a light saber Baby!

October 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
      • dmo

That was funny.

October 25, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  57. rtbrno65

I don't understand this hostility everyone has towards the prequels. I thought they were fine and that they expanded the story tremendously.

October 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Melissa

How could you not? Lucas forgot that the story is what made the original three so good. Yes, the fx were cool, but they were just part of the world, not nearly the whole story like in the new three. Not to mention Hayden Christensens horrible horrible acting. Anakin went from being this frightening imposing intimidating figure in Darth Vader to acting like a whiny little boy that deserved to get slapped even though he was an adult. It completely ruined the story.

I have to admit though, the Cone Wars series is pretty good. You can finally see his slow descent into darkness, and yet you also get to see that he really WAS a hero that fell. Its something you don't see at all in the prequels.

October 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
      • rtbrno65

I disagree that the acting was horrible. Anakin was "whiny" because he was a pain in the ass stunted teenager and was supposed to be a contrast to Vader. I don't think he was whiny in the "Clone wars" or in episode 3, once he had become battle hardened. I also think the prequels were more plot driven than the original trilogy, as it had the task of establishing the events that lead to it.

October 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • Sean

@rtbrno65
      The story line was and is already very extensive. It is not limited to the movies. There are hundreds of books, thousands of comics and dozens of games. And even a few cartoons.

@ Melissa
      I respectfully disagree. The storyline in the first 3 was integral to their success but was nothing new. Just an updated retelling of old archetypes. What made the original such a success was this retelling combined with FX never before seen (back then this was not a new thing every summer.) and incredible casting.

October 25, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • Sabrina

I just love them all!!!! When "The New Hope" came out my daughter and I saw it at the drive in. Being a single mother, it was all I could afford. When R2D2 was stunned she turned to me, "Oh Mommy". As I said, I just love all of these movies. I have always waited for the next one with a sense of great anticipation.

October 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
  58. spock

Living in your mom's basement at 37 doesn't necessarily mean you're a loser. I've just had a long stream of bad luck. I've got plans to move out soon.

October 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • Kevin G

Says the guy with a nick of Spock posting in a Star Wars story.. BE GONE HERETIC!

October 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • JonsGey

Dressing as a character on any day other than Halloween (and THAT'S a stretch) makes one a loser too

October 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  59. Beer Drinker

Obviously the author doesn't know the Jedi mind trick. "This is not the Halloween costume you are looking for."

October 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • julnativa

My kids know how to do that! It is disturbing...

October 25, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  60. Melissa

Erika, you hit the nail on the head.

October 25, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  61. Andrea M

Why would anybody show their young child the whole thing?! You show the first three bit by bit, you may have to lie about the existence of the films in a reverse-Santa/tooth fairy way. And of course you don't go with the Lucas-mutilated versions, only the originals will do. Slowly bring forth the world, refrain from the prequels till a kid has thoroughly absorbed the first three. Finally, when age appropriate, bring forth the prequils but explain how these were the beginning of Lucas raping so many childhoods and explain how they have only seen the originals in an effort to give them only the best. That way you should get a few years of a kid wanting an X-Wing jumpsuit before they want "Annie's" robes. But then, not everything about the prequils are bad, girl children could do well having the full range of Queen Amidala's outfits to choose from, pending you're handy with a sewing machine.

October 25, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Malkntnt

How can you lie about something that other kids watch and know all about by heart? Clone Wars cartoon, et. all. I like your ideas but they are a bit sloppy. NO! This needs to be tough-love. You show them the originals ep. 4, 5, 6. Then you tell them there are more but you forbid them to watch them explaining that they are evil and that if they watch them Darth Vader will show up at the house and kill mommy and daddy. You don't want mommy and daddy to die do you? Then don't you dare ever watch those films son. Not ever. Problem solved.

October 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  62. BL

As a geek dad, let me say how I applaud your sci-fi parenting! Oh how I wish my wife was a nerd like me. I still say it would have been beyond adorable to dress my 8 month old daughter in a yoda costume last year, but alas, I'll have to wait till she's old enough to make these geeky decisions for herself! 😀

October 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  63. The Mad Klingon

If my kid even hinted he wanted to a Rebel costume I would kick his butt out onto the street. If he hinted he wanted to wear anything from the new movies I would kick him out onto the street...naked. The great thing about children is you can usually have more.

Remember boys and girls, playing bad is always more fun! Long Live the Empire!

October 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  64. Mickey

I have a 27-year-old who is, as thousands of people, in love with the Jeddi Knight character, thanks to Ewan McGregor. You have to admit that it's a contemporary version of a swash buckler – a quiet, wise and handsome hero. My son has requested that I sew him a version of the Jeddi Knight outfit. I've already sewn the flowing brown cape with hood. Now, I'm working on the tunick, shoulder armor and belt. When I get concerned that our young people are not using their imaginations as much as my older generation due to excessive computer usage, this type of role playing encourages me. May the force be with you!

October 25, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Malkntnt

If you were a *REAL* fan you'd already know that it's spelled: "JEDI"
      Epic FAIL bro.

October 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • Melissa

Its also spelled "tunic".

October 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
      • Han

It's*

October 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
  65. sunpacific

Princess Leia's Hutt costume. Shouldn't cost much- it's like, what, a strip of cloth and two metal cups?

October 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • rstlne

Yeah, but it won't look so good on a boy!

October 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  66. Guest

Hey, Revenge of the Sith wasn't bad at all. A close second, IMO, to Empire, which is the greatest of the six.

October 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  67. Darth Cheney

Rather than project onto your kid, simply go in the Luke getup yourself and respect your kid's wish. Problem solved. The only thing worse than a nerd is a controlling one, Sheldon...

October 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
  68. profart

My son started off loving Luke Skywalker, and now Anakin- and he's never seen ANY of the movies. I think its the leather.

October 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Dr. Spock

Your son likes boys.

October 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  69. Lila

I agree the prequels were horrible but the Clone War series on the cartoon network is pretty good. It's popular with kids so Anakin makes sense.

October 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
  70. Buck

HTF does a freakin retarded 'story" like this, which is more like an email you send to uninterested friends, get on CNN? SERIOUSLY???

October 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • TBD

it's a BLOG on CNN, in their blogs section, calm down

October 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • profart

The same way a comment with a highly offensive word like "retarded" gets in the comments section. It's called "free speech." They can publish anything they think will bring in readers to click on their ads.

October 25, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
      • Sean

Retardation is a scientific description. Get over yourself.

October 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
      • DAT

You're right, of course, Sean. But it's not PC.

October 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
      • kirstyloo

The term is considered to be a derogatory slur. Clinicians are being encouraged to stop using it. It was removed from the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), a manual published by the APA that includes all currently recognized mental health disorders, years ago. In 2010, Rosa’s Law was signed into law. This law is removing this term from federal policies and laws. In 2008, the Associated Press struck "mentally retarded" from its stylebook. These changes indicate that this term isn’t accepted in many realms of society anymore. Too bad it can’t be removed from playgrounds where that term taunts many children both those with and those without developmental disabilities.

Ok...now I'll get off my high horse...unless that is what my daughter decides to ride for halloween!

October 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
      • Sean

You are 100% correct it’s not PC… and it is not PC because of a loud minority decided it wasn’t. I refuse to humor these people with so little a life.

October 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • hrcne

The question isn't why this article got on CNN...it is why you, after reading the 'headline' decided to read the article and then comment on it.

October 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • jtk812

It's a feature story; every single news source has them. No one said you had to read it...

October 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • johann1965

Cripes people it a feature story...get over it. Not all news needs to be about toppling regimes, teen pregnancy and the demise of social security.

I'm a dad, and a geek, and I got a kick out of it.

For the rest of you self-righteous a$$hats....stopped listening.

October 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Leon

Hey lighten up, why not look at the article as a metaphor that deals with how we all seem to hold onto our first passions in one form or another. I believe these very passions, likes and dislikes are some of the simple building blocks that help to shape the person that we ultimate become. I feel the author so brilliantly deals with the issue in a light hearted way. Luke or Annie are just semantics that do not denote, the fact every parent who are bless to see their children reach a certain age has, where they realize their children are the pilots their own future.

October 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  71. Wulf

Everyone knows that parents who let their kids watch the newest Star Wars without the proper disclaimers of why they are terrible are definitely bad parents. Simply put, a parent who lets their kid dress as Anakin should probably not be parenting. Obviously Luke is cooler.

October 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Sean

Agreed

October 25, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  72. Bates

Less we forget what truly made Episode I: The Phantom Menace a good film: Qui-Gon Jinn. 'Nuff said.

October 25, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • LucasNowSucks

He can dress up as the credits, which is the only redeeming part of Episode 1, a terrible, plotless, unexciting, poorly-acted, disjointed waste of a movie.

October 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
  73. hw

What a connundrum. What will my child wear for Halloween? Scotty beam me up from this idiotic society.

October 25, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • Sean

Agreed, we should absolutely zero thought into it. That way we can be good role models. And when other parents or authorities ask why we let a minor wear this or that outfit, we can just say..hey I ignore my kids so there!

October 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • Ryan

Since you missed the point, here it is. Not just an article for geeks, it's a lesson in knowing when to let a child start to make decisions for themselves, even if they aren't the ones we'd make.

October 25, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  74. chip

Wow, this article was an utter waste of time. Almost as much as making a comment on it.

October 25, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Pee Wee Morris

And yet you did make a comment....

October 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
      • StarWarsMamma

BURN!!!

October 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  75. CJ Topspin

Here is an idea. Have him go as Pinocchio dressed as Anakin. That way he will be as wooden as Hayden Christensen's portrayal of Anakin.

October 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Andrea M

Bravo, sir/madam!

October 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  76. Manda

Red 11 standing by......

October 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • DZA

"Red Fox standing by."
      "Red Buttons standing by."
      "Red October standing by."
      "Simply Red standing by."
      ...

October 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
      • Guest

Awesome Family Guy reference!

October 25, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
      • DZA

Good....someone got the reference. 🙂

October 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
      • DZA

^ *Foxx

October 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  77. Ryan

He wants to be Anikan because he's hot. Children arn't looking at the idealism of good and bad, they see another attractive person and your son wants to emilate that.

October 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • StarWarsMamma

Well, that's kind of scary, all three of mine want to go as Zombies!! Of course we have been watching a lot of "Walking Dead" lately and it IS chock-full of "hotties"!

October 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  78. tjm

If, like any good Star Wars parent, you had hidden the very existence of the prequels from your children you wouldn't have this problem.

October 25, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • BigMike619

The best point i think ive ever heard in my life

October 25, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Valent

So true!

October 25, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
      • StarWarsMamma

I didn't realize they made three other movies after "Star Wars", Empire" and "Jedi". I thought those were just really, really long boring Pepsi commercials!

October 25, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
      • NOT MY CHAIR

starwarsmom- all of the star wars movies were called star wars, i think you as a "starwarsmon" should know that its called The new Hope and not just starwars.

October 25, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  79. SS

Chewie!

October 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  80. ionymous

THIS JUST IN....
    Kids don't like everything their parents like.
    People don't like everything other people like.

unnecessary article.

October 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • i2h

unnecessary comment for an unnecessary article then? yea...that'll show'em. remove that log from your ass and lighten up.

October 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Sc

Get laid much?

October 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • StarWarsMamma

BREAKING NEWS.....

Most parents that can read get that.
      Most adults that can read get that.

Unnecessary comment...... 😛

October 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
  81. Lowell Renold

Star Wars is the greatest movie series ever! I'm so glad to hear that so many parents are sharing this amazing saga to their kids. Although, I am a bit sad that today's kids prefer the less entertaining prequels over the classic original trilogy. I am 16 years old, but I think that "The Empire Strikes Back" is the greatest Star Wars movie ever made, and one of the best films ever made period. I don't need just flashy effects to make a movie enjoyable for me, I want to hear a story with heart, soul, and mind. And the Empire Strikes Back has all three of those. I honestly don't think the prequels are as bad as people say they are, although even I think they could have a lot better. The original trilogy, however, is perfection. May the Force be with you...

ps I'm going as Batman for Halloween!

October 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • Tina

There IS hope for our country, after all.

October 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  82. DesertRat

At least the kid didn't want to go as Jar Jar. I'd have to draw the line there.

October 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • Darth Cheney

Mesa muy angry wi' chew.

October 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  83. Kevin G

You let your kids watch Episode 1? I really think that is a form of child abuse... Granted, not as bad as forcing someone to watch Highlander 2.

October 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • boba fett

2? Oh my god THREE, now that is child abuse.

October 25, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  84. David Burton

Simple, X-Wing Fighter! The original Star Wars will always be the Best!

October 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  85. haywood

My 5 year old daughter has decided to dress up as Darth Vader, her idea.

October 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Sean

Awesome

October 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • kcv

Love it, girl power!
      P.S. Great opportunity to discuss "good -vs-evil and pride-vs-being humble"

October 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  86. lokii

Here's an original thought, let your kid be happy and enjoy themselves.

October 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • StarWarsMamma

Well that's about as original as "New Coke". Tastes about as good, too. 😛

October 25, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  87. Going In Circles

Yoda.

October 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
  88. Geoffrey Sperl

"Which 'Star Wars' costume would you rather your child wear for Halloween?"

The one he wants to, if he even wants to. Of course, my son is 16 months old, so this year he's going to be a dinosaur. 😉

October 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • StarWarsMamma

Make sure it's a T-Rex, because all of the dinosaurs that came after him were lame! 😉

October 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  89. Going In Circles

Chewy.

October 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
  90. nina

If the choice was for a daughter and it was Princess Leia Star Wars or Jedi, I wonder which one would be picked

October 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  91. buschwc

Obi-Wan's brown cloak and the tan Jedi robe are where it's at!

October 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • bob

Jedi robes or Han Solo.

What not to love about being a Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder?

October 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  92. Chewie

Rahhhhhh OOOOOOOOOORRRRRrrr YAAAHHHHHHROOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFF

October 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  93. ALLAHISBEST

FVVCK ANAKIN, THE SYMBOL OF AMERICAS WORST GENERATION EVER!!! WHINY, DO NOTHING BRATS

October 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • boba fett

Sorry I guess you were lost in dungeons and dragons or something or was it yoshi and the cards, dragonballz? Yo hater let it go and ..........................can't we all just get along, guess not if you don't get it. Party on tricksters whatever your taste enjoy your childhood memories and the memories with your children, OR just PARTY this halloween.

October 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • JediMaster

The force is not strong with this one. Obviously a scruffy nerf herder!

October 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  94. Byron

You know, I wouldn't be surprised that as you son ages and matures, he will go back to the original series.

That being said...

I hated Anakin until I saw the Clone Wars show. On the show, they really gave him some more edge, made him less whiny, made him a bit of a bad ass! This is Darth Vader we're talking about; he's got to be awesome even before he puts on the helmet and cape.

October 25, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  95. Josh

Luke, definitely.

Darth (aka Anakin), just doesn't have it. As well put, "Anakin strikes me as whiny jerk with impulse control issues"

October 25, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  96. Fuyuko

The luke skywalker costume on the left is classic. Anakin's isn't. My vote goes for Luke's. Plus, it is visable than the dark costume that anakin is wearing.

October 25, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  97. Heretheycome

Enter the trolls!!! let the "why is this news on CNN" begin!! Ready.................. FIGHT!

October 25, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • StarWarsMamma

I'm just here for the dog fights that break out in the comments section! Throw a bone in! These articles are ripe for the pickins!!

October 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  98. chris

I'll take the X-Wing pilot over new-jedi-guy any day (...can you tell I'm over 40?)

October 25, 2011 at 11:58 am |
  99. Chad Wells

Any real Star Wars fan would be a X-Wing fighter.

October 25, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • Rocksor

X-Wing Fighters are a dime a dozen, and are easily disposed of.

October 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Kevin G

Even the husky ones can roll as Jek Porkins

October 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
      • Conn

so awesome!

October 25, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  100. Uncle Owen

This shouldn't even be a question. Han Solo, end of conversation.

October 25, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • chris

"Get in there, Chewie, I don't care what you smell!" – LOL I say this to my kids all the time

October 25, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Byron

Its all about Lando. "You truly belong with us amongst the clouds". How smooth can you get?

October 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
      • Malkntnt

The only Brother in the Galaxy. He's gotta bring the smooth 200%

October 25, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • sci-fi girl

Agree wholeheartedly!

October 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

I'm with you, Uncle Owen. Han Solo for sure. All the other male characters are wussies by comparison, Darth Vader included.

October 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
      • SithLord

I find your lack of faith in the Force disturbing...

October 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
      • NOT MY CHAIR

Darth Maul and Obi wan?

October 25, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Malkntnt

Han Solo SHOT FIRST! Damn the Special Editions!

October 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Indy Jones

Every other character has a reason to fight; Han Solo deals himself in just to look good in front of the princess.

October 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm |