The 'Star Wars' divide: A tale of two costumes
Which "Star Wars" costume would you rather your child wear for Halloween?
October 25th, 2011

The 'Star Wars' divide: A tale of two costumes

Editor's note: Erika D. Peterman is a Florida-based writer and editor, and the co-creator of the comics blog Girls-Gone-Geek.com.

Parents try, with varying degrees of success, to shape our kids’ pop culture tastes. For many a geek mom and dad, this extends to Halloween — or as I like to call it, a day of nationally sanctioned cosplay.

Of course, even the gentlest suggestion is a form of projecting. (“What’s not to like about this Wolverine costume?”) But even if they bite, it’s only a matter of time before they start, you know, thinking for themselves.

My son and I were on the same page when he first discovered the original Star Wars trilogy a few years ago. He latched onto those movies in a major way and displayed the all-too-familiar enthusiasm that drove my mother nuts from roughly 1977 to 1983. In ways good and bad, the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

How to talk to your kids about "Star Wars"

Enter the Prequel Years. Slowly but surely, he began to fall for the despised “Phantom Menace,” “Attack of the Clones” and the slightly less awful “Revenge of the Sith,” which he’s only seen in parts because of that whole leg-amputating, flesh-burning thing. These films are watchable only because Ewan McGregor did such a solid Obi-Wan, but they nevertheless became his favorite of the six. Anakin — I’m sorry; “Annie” — was his ace and there was nothing I could do about it. I let it go.

Or at least I thought I had.

When the annual Halloween costume catalog arrived recently, both kids dove into it and homed in on the good stuff. My daughter stuck with her earlier decision to go as Uhura (#win), an excellent choice that had nothing to do with me. My son went to the Star Wars section and we spotted a seriously sharp X-Wing fighter pilot jumpsuit. Battle of Yavin, yo!

Me: “This is a great costume for you.”

Him: “Oh, yeah. It’s cool. I think I want to go as Anakin, though.”

Me: “But it’s got a helmet and everything! It’s a little more expensive, but I don’t mind.”

Him: “It’s not that I don’t like it. I’d just rather have the Anakin costume.”

After my pitch failed, I had to accept that the Halloween costume of my childhood dreams was not necessarily his. Each generation gets to decide what it likes, and I don’t want to be the cranky oldster who can’t see past 1985. At least I could relate, unlike my poor mother who was utterly baffled by my tendency to say “I have a bad feeling about this” at random times.

Though Anakin strikes me as whiny jerk with impulse control issues, I sort of get why a kid would like him. He thinks the authority figures are holding him back, gets into trouble constantly, and reacts based on emotion instead of logic. From “Attack of the Clones” on, he’s essentially a big child with amazing powers and the coolest accessory ever. (And to be fair, Luke could whine a blue streak, too.) I also must admit that the “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” series is good, as was the previous Cartoon Network show that chronicled Anakin’s padawan period.

So, fine. He gets to be Anakin and express his love of Star Wars his way. Mom will keep her comments to herself and let the youngsters take the wheel.

But I just might get that jumpsuit for myself. Dragon*Con is only a year away.

Are you dressing up in a group costume for Hallween? Whether it’s a family of crayons or you and your best friend as salt and pepper shakers, we want to see what you come up with. Upload pictures or videos of your most creative group costume idea—from years past or this year—and the best responses will be featured on CNN. The deadline is Thursday, October 27.

1. Pharma111

Very nice site!

December 4, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
  2. Pharmb295

Hello! dkgbkag interesting dkgbkag site! I'm really like it! Very, very dkgbkag good!

December 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  3. Pharmc537

Hello! eekfged interesting eekfged site! I'm really like it! Very, very eekfged good!

December 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  4. Pharmb181

Hello! ddageec interesting ddageec site! I'm really like it! Very, very ddageec good!

August 22, 2012 at 2:53 am |
  5. Pharme864

Hello! efceadc interesting efceadc site! I'm really like it! Very, very efceadc good!

August 22, 2012 at 2:52 am |
  6. Pharmb377

Very nice site!

August 22, 2012 at 2:52 am |
  7. Pharmd55

Hello! ecadeae interesting ecadeae site! I'm really like it! Very, very ecadeae good!

August 22, 2012 at 2:51 am |
  8. Edwards Lundstromx

Thanks – Enjoyed this update, is there any way I can receive an email sent to me every time you write a new update?

July 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  9. Fun

Hey very cool website!! Man .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I'll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?I am satisfied to find so many helpful information right here in the post, we need work out more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

April 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
  10. xavi

Erika must be a weird duck.

October 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  11. Lenny

I'm dressing as anakin ...a Jedi being seduced by the way of the sith is a compelling tale ...even if not handled to well ....and I'm 33 and grew up on the original

October 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  12. Derek

I don't know anybody who grew up watching the original Star Wars trilogy that actually likes the "Prequel" trilogy. My personal complaint is it lacked a good story & good actors except maybe Qui Gonn and Obi Wan. Everyone else was really bad. I think it shows sci-fi needs good stories not just good special FX. The Prequel only seems to appeal to the very young who never saw the original series & are dazzled by the FX of the Prequel. I bet when they grow up they'll realize the original trilogy was better.

October 26, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • rachelfox27

I agree; I was a kid when the prequels came out, and I thought they were great. My brother and I had the video games, toys, and the new movies. Then I grew up and wised up and realized the original trilogy was where it was at. There will come a time in this boy's life where he realizes the difference between the two, and like almost all, he'll choose the classics.

October 26, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Scott S

You have to remember the context in which the original series came out. It was the late 70's and people had turned to The French Connection and Dirty Harry as heros. They were into anti-heros, not fairy tale hero and villans. Lucas came on and decided he didn't want a dirty and cynical series, he wanted good vs evil.

He carried this theme to the prequals and it didn't work so well. We are a very cyncial society today and Lucas still held onto that fairy tale theme.

October 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  13. kiki d

My son chose the Darth Vader costume out of the catalog this year. He is THREE!!! He knows nothing about Star Wars, the orginals or the prequels. It solely seems to be based on watching "America's Funniest Home Video's" and possibly the VW commercial.....and maybe the fact he has a light saber and looks like a "fighter guy." How's that for pop culture!?!?

October 26, 2011 at 9:40 am |
  14. gary

Anakin huh? Any way to get him to cut to the chase and don a quality Darth Vader costume?

October 26, 2011 at 6:18 am |
  15. Loving this

I'm loving this argument. For those making the virgin jokes, do you really think anyone dressed as slave Princess Leia would remain a virgin for too long??? Seriously. The Star Wars geeks I grew up with are now ruling the world. Face it. We're just smarter.

October 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • guest

Ruling the world? Gave usp on the universe, huh?

And you claim to be "smarter"? Why, because you watched few movies? Grow up and stop identifiying yourself by association with a movie or a storyline; and perhaps try to help the world rather than rule it. If you're even one tenth as smart as you think you are, this should make sense.

October 26, 2011 at 9:06 am |
    • jamie

I knew it all along!!

October 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  16. pg318

What I don't really get is why a predominantly Christian country makes such a big deal of Halloween. It has roots in Festivals of the Dead in many religions/cultures, but is mainly based on the Celtic feast of Samhain, when the veil between this world and the spirit world grows thin or is lifted. That said, it's easy to understand why ghost, skeleton and even witch costumes used to be favorites, but just how does any Star Wars character relate? Perhaps I should try educating some trick-or-treaters...

October 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • Joseph

Sounds like you need the education. For whatever halloween orginally was, it is now mostly a secular event where kids get to dress up in costume and get treats from neighbors and family. I don't know a single Christian family that has a problem with halloween. I'm sure some are out there, probably the same people that complain about Christmas being more about Santa than Jesus and who still believe the Earth is 6,000 years old.

October 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
      • Walker

There are a LOT of communities strongly opposed to the celebration of Halloween. It's very common in the conservative Christian South.

October 26, 2011 at 5:36 am |
      • Balok

Actually, Joseph is correct in part. There are not that many Christian family's that have an issue with Halloween, even here in the South. It is nothing more than a night to dress up, have fun, collect candy, and visit with friends. Perhaps it had its origin in something nefarious, but no longer. We only associate with clean fun. Of course, we (my family and I) also believe the Earth is approximately 6000 years old, the Bible is authoritative, and that Jesus Christ lived and is the Son of God. But, that is getting further off topic.

Peace and blessings to all!

October 26, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • Renee

Yup, and I will continue both to celebrate my religious Samhain and the fun Halloween at the same time. No reason not to. 😛 The Christians just need to admit their traditions are slowly dying out and their leash is weakening as people can think of themselves.

BTW, totally dressing up as a Jedi this coming 31st and doing a Zombie 'emergency exercise' on Saturday. Why not have fun?

October 26, 2011 at 9:34 am |
    • Teresa

You need to educate yourself. Samhain is the festival marking the beginning of Winter and prayers for the souls of the dead. (spaces added, copy/paste and delete the spaces http:// www. religioustolerance .org/hallo_sa.htm ) and this site has REFERENCES. Research for yourself before you believe everything that's set before you.

October 26, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • veritas

"Predominantly Christian nation," this is true most people practice some form of Christianity, but most do not practice your right wing fundaMENTAList version of Christianity. Halloween is "All Hallow's Eve" or the day before All Saints' Day and All Saints' Day is a Christian festival. However, Halloween is a secular event practiced by millions of people and this does not conflict with MAINSTREAM Christian beliefs. It does conflict with the wacko, fundaMENTAList, evangelical version of Christianity practiced by a vocal minority of so called "Christians" in this nation. But most Christians have no problem with this, just like they have no problem with New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day or the Fourth of July.

October 26, 2011 at 11:00 am |
      • Balok

Now now, Veritas. No need to get snippy on this. He was merely expressing his opinion, to which he has a right. No need for name-calling or attacking the person or idea.

October 26, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  17. Jim

I can see why you'd resist your kid dressing up as Anakin - what's interesting about a teenager dressing up as a whiny, stupid, gullible teenager who shows no semblance of self control, makes a mockery of his supposed Jedi training, and is in veritable train wrecks of movies.

October 25, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  18. Cameron

Yes, I to believe that Anakin is not as good as Luke, and the original trilogy has a certain luster to it, where the new trilogy is simply fancy brand new CGI effects, I may be to young to have not seen IV-VI in theatres, but !-III had not come out yet, so I had seen the original trilogy first, and my impression was "WOW these are all hand crafted models!" and that is how I wish I could react to every movie these days...

October 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  19. cpc65

Classic Luke all the way.

October 25, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  20. CHURCH

I BANGED PRINCES LAY-YA (GET IT)

October 25, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  21. Mike

There is so much to love about this article.

Signed, another guy from the 70s (who will always think the original trilogy is where it's at)

October 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  22. Derrick

My daughter is turning 3 next month, and right now she is in the stage of copying whatever daddy likes. Which is great. I have a cardboard box I painted to look like the Tardis from Dr. Who, Whenever we pretend there is a monster she know's its a Dalek. She loves superhero's and gets super excited when she see's Spiderman. But At the same time I don't want to "make her like" or "guide her" to the geeky things I love because she is going to eventually be her own person. So I always want to keep the option open to her whether it be girly, or geeky. She loves wearing dresses, prending to be a pirate, and when I break out the Blue Box, she her Daddy pretend to be The Doctor. So reading this article is probably going to prepare me for the inevitable. Like it or not, your kid is going to like what they like regardless of what the parents do🙂

October 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Ryan

Derrick. What size box do you use for the TARDIS? I love Doctor Who, and my son (and occasionally my daughter) loves playing with my Sonic Screwdriver I bought. He loves running around "fixing" things with it to the point where he wore the battery down, lol.

October 25, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  23. Diggity Dave

Anakin is two zippers away from being Michael Jackson. They need to burn the first three movies, and then burn them again.

October 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • Nate Diggity

wow – I'm still laughing!

October 25, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • cpc65

October 25, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • DJL

"... and then burn them again."

ROFL!

October 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • iNewbie

They did burn them, then burn them again, and an evil Sith lord brought them back as "Indiana Jones and the story of what happens when Lucas and Spielberg try Crystal Meth"

October 26, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  24. Bob

Which "Star Wars" costume would you rather your child wear for Halloween?

Neither. I'd rather my child grow up and have a social life.

October 25, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • ouka

And why exactly are the two mutually exclusive?

October 25, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Emigdio Alvarez

dude, halloween's pretty social. my guess is that you never went to a halloween party ever, right?

October 25, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • Arkamis

Stereotype much Bob? Let me guess. You're a former jock that made fun of the geeky kids and are now bitter because they are making a boatload more money than you. See, I can do it too.

October 25, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
    • Admiral Ackbar

IT'S A TRAP

October 26, 2011 at 8:51 am |
  25. Age Perspective: Christian in Carlisle, PA

Love the article. My wife and I experienced something else while watching the original Star War series anew with our two younger children. I recall when I was a kid (and my wife concurs that she felt the same way) watching the original series in the theater, my favorite character by far was Luke Skywalker. As a kid I wasn't all that crazy about Han Solo – in fact, I didn't like him at all when compared to Luke. And, after polling our two kids (one boy, one girl) they too are drawn to Luke.

However, in watching the series today (now in our early 40's) we were a little taken back at just how irritating Luke Skywalker is and how differently we view him 30+ years later. The whining.... oh, Luke, make it stop! And he just keeps whining until the 3rd movie when his character finally evolves into a man; on the other hand, we now love the more cynical, suave, James Bond-like Han Solo.

Odd how age changes your perspective on a move like Star Wars.

October 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  26. klheitz

"IT'S A TRAP!"

October 25, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  27. Cass

It's tough trying to show your kids what you live and realizing that, eventually, showing them won't work. That's what I took away from this article. My mother hated everything geeky that's ever existed and tried to make me a girly girl in love with Disney princesses. My dad tried his darndest to turn his little girl into a fellow geek. In some respects he won: Twilight Zone and Star Wars are his two pride and joys. In other respect, he failed miserably: I didn't sit through anything Star Trek until college and only stomached Green Lantern for about three years before getting bored out of my mind. Oh, and Dune? Forget about it...

Now, looking back, I do get what he was trying to do. He was showing me things that made him happy and therefore wanted me to experience that happiness with him. I can understand that and will do that with my own children. It's not about making them into you, like I previously thought. It's about trying to help them reach happiness. What can possibly be wrong with that?

Years later, when my husband and I got married (at Disney World, no less, thanks guys!), my husband walked down the aisle to the Throne Room music from Episode IV while my bridesmaids walked down to Across the Stars from Episode II. My mother thought we were insane, but she just ended up laughing and talking about how I've always been a daddy's girl, and she just accepted that. For one second, we were all a big, happy, geeky family. At the reception, my little four year old nephew ran up to me so excited b/c he recognized where that music had been from, and I just couldn't stop laughing. Three generations of geeks so far. We haven't gone wrong yet.

October 25, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • jamie

Please don't put Dune in the same paragraph as Star Wars! Ever!

October 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  28. Chris

My 3 year old is completely and utterly obsessed with his Darth Vader costume that he'll be wearing next week.

He goes up to just about everybody saying "you underestimate the POWER of the Dark Side"

October 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • rob

I'm glad hes only 3, that means he still has a good chance of growing out of it and becoming a man.

October 25, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
      • Todd

You sound like a real fun guy.

October 25, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
      • Tex71

Obviously Rob, too, underestimates the power of the Dark Side. Your sense of humor has been corrupted, Rob. For goodness' sake come back before it is too late.

October 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • J

I would reply....but i was on Aldiran when the deathstar hit us....

October 25, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • natattack

That is way too adorable.

October 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  29. Robert

I'm dumber after having read this article...

October 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • rob

I just spit soda all over my keyboard LOLOLOOL!!!!

October 25, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Chris

I'm pretty sure that is not possible... you were already scraping the bottom of the barrel.

October 25, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Thomas

You are dumber after reading this article?

Are you sure?

November 4, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  30. rob

man those last movies with whatever his name is were bad...at least the total of 15 mins i spent watching them, and man he cannot act!

October 25, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • PEPINIUM

Rob, you hit the nail right on the head !! I was waiting for someone to bring up how lousy the casting was for those new movies. The guy that becomes Darth Vadar cannot act at all and every scene between him and the princess is physically painful to watch. Also, in the first movie, he is a little kid, while the princess is actually a teenager, by the second movie, they are about the same age somehow. They relied way to much on special effects but the actual writing and the dialogues were puke inducing !!!

October 25, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
      • StinkBucket

Here's the problem with that. George Lucas had an INCREDIBLE cast. Think about it! Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson, Samuel Jackson, Frank Oz...it goes on. But look at how terrible they all were. Lucas is a terrible director. Let him create these tremendous worlds and characters, but for god sake don't let him direct it! There's a reason Empire is the best of the series!

October 25, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Frank Bund

From the point of view of a person who isn't a virgin:

The correct answer is, Who Cares?

October 25, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • rob

i dont care that your not a virgin, as long as you didn't phukk me...which you didn't.

October 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
      • Frank Bund

You're and Your mean two different hings. Learn them.

October 25, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
      • rob

hey frank it ain't an english lesson....it an artical about halloween costumes and a bad one at that.

October 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
      • Herby Sagues

And it's spelled Article, not artical.
        Which was about star wars, just as your comments are about bad grammar.

October 25, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
    • Cass

Wow, my husband and I must be virgins then!

October 25, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
      • Frank Bund

Second Life doesn't count. Try it in real life.

October 25, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
      • Chris

In that case, Cass, any plans for Friday night?🙂

October 25, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Renee

As someone who isn't a virgin and own the R2-D2 phone...get over yourself...

It isn't as if we are calling you a fat, couch potatoe slob who only will watch mind numbing sports...So stop assuming we are all living in our parent's basement and haven't seen the light of day in years. -_-

October 26, 2011 at 9:40 am |
  32. CM

If I ever have kids (God forbid), they will not be allowed to watch the prequels. Or the bluray, The only version allowed in my house will be the dvd of the originals that I have.

October 25, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Daren Fyrstrom

Original Trilogy on DVD is blasphemy! Gotta go VHS or Betamax!

October 25, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
      • Thomas

I am trying to find a way to transfer my original original versions to DvD. I don't want anything to happen to my VHS versions. They need to be preserved for future generations to know how it really was.

November 4, 2011 at 9:23 am |
  33. Lame

Although I have seen the movies, I think we all need to take a deep breath and acknowledge that with the end of the six movies comes the end of star wars.......modern day kids could care less about star wars unless it is the clone wars cartoon. That's why they like Anakin. My kids will not be "introduced" to them just as I don't care to "introduce" them to star trek or the lord of the rings book (singular, it is NOT a trilogy darn you movies). They can watch it if they want but i'm not going to push them towards any outdated movies or books. They will probably never really care to know who Han Solo is nor any of the other characters and i'm good with that. The author should just take this approach and let the kid dress up as whatever Halloween character they choose. Oh and per the earlier arguments.....who cares which is better it's over now. One thing is for sure though boy that Hayden Christensen sucks at acting......it's tough to think that Vader was such a weak whiny baby.

October 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Rammstein142

Luke was just as whinny, has everyone forgotten how whinny Luke was?? Its like father like son!! Just watch episode 4 when Lukes on board the millennium falcon playing with his lighsaber...all he did was whine whine whine...

October 25, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
      • rob

you have to change your mane. Ramstein is way to awsome a band for a twirp like you to be named after.

October 25, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • Jamist

Hey! The LOTR books are not outdated – and never will be. It's the classic fantasy epic. I don't care what you say about the movies, but the books are unparalleled. They should be required reading in any middle school/high school reading program, IMHO.

And if memory serves, there are six books in the series, plus the Hobbit. They were published at two books to a volume. Not truly a trilogy if you want to be fussy about it – but certainly not one book.

JD

October 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • techwoman

What's wrong with outdated movies or books? That's what you call a classic.

My son saw the original War of the worlds, I have a copy of the Orson Welles radio version that I will make him listen to, just because. I also want him to see the original Blob. Pure corn!

He saw "my" 3 Star Wars first, then his 3. Mine win. So do his. We have fun and that's what it's about.

October 25, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  34. bprichard

great read erika...may the force be w/ you!

October 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  35. Clint

As much as i should hate the prequels i can't because it was my first exposure to Star Wars. I don't blame my parents because they weren't necessarily nerds so they didn't see it as too important to show me the originals first. So i saw the prequels first. While i do overwhelmingly agree that the originals were better i will always look back on the newer ones fondly.

October 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Thomas

Parents, pay attention.

Think of poor Clint. Think of how much better it would have been if Clint's parents did the responsible thing and introduced their child to the original Star Wars.

Don't let this happen to your child. It is too late to help poor Clint... but it may not be too late to help your child.

Brought to you buy DASWP*

*Dads against Star Wars Prequels.

Please give generously to the Original Star Wars charity of your choice. It is our children's future at stake.

November 4, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  36. Steve

Get over it. Hayden was much cooler than Mark

October 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • DerbyChick

Only if you like ear screeching whining. Every seen Shattered Glass? He whined to the max in that one too.

October 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  37. Andulamb

The author of this article could have avoided the entire problem by not allowing her son to see the prequels. That is the approach I will be taking.

October 25, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Pips

You are a god among men.

October 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • rob

which ones are the prequills old or new.

October 25, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  38. bob

it's not about the costume. HC is just a bad actor, and who would want to dress up as a bad actor?

October 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • MC

I hate to break it to you, but Mark Hamill isn't exactly Sir Lawrence Olivier.

October 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
      • DerbyChick

Watch the animated Batman series. Mark Hamill is the voice of Joker, and he does an awesome job. He's also the voice of joker in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Best Joker voice ever.

October 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • rob

no dude HC is so phukkn bad its horrifying!

October 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • Gary

But Hayden is hot. Especially in episode 2.

October 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
  39. John Zee

The man should just be counting his blessings that he son didn't want to dress up like Prince Leia in the gold bikini or was such a tub of lard that the only costume that would fit him is the extra large Java the Hutt Star Wars costume...

October 25, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Andulamb

The writer is a woman.

October 25, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Mark

WOW. There was a Prince Leia, too? I never saw that version.

October 25, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Mijan

As Andulamb said, the writer is a woman. What irks me is seeing yet another person make the crass assumption that all Star Wars, Star Trek, and other sci-fi geeks are male. SO NOT TRUE. kthxbai.

October 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • michael james decker

I know you would love Princes Leas get up, because every one knows that you like womans nighties and your receptionist Frank all those years ago. Did you ever fix that front tooth?

October 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • benjo

Wow, I wasn't aware that there was a Java the Hutt. Did he own the coffee shop next to Jabba's palace?

October 25, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
      • Old Hoosier

Good one! Not much of a fan, is he?!

October 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  40. AnotherView

The decision should be simple: Anakin is out as it is too dark to be seen when out trick-or-treating. Luke's orange suit is easier for cars to see a child in the early evening hours. 'Nuff Said!

October 25, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  41. Rinsewind

Totally agree that Anakin is a whiny twit. But that costume is pretty cool. My daughter spent quite a while at the Star Wars section, but we avoided the whole Leia/ Padme debate when she opted to be a ninja. Fine by me.

October 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  42. Jedi JC

Try being an advid Star Wars fan and having your offspring desire to be a Disney princess every Halloween. Be very happy with what your padiwan.

October 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  43. ur2whiny

After all that whining about a kids Halloween costume, I'm led to believe you dislike Annie because he is too much like yourself – except for his whining is fictional, while yours is all too real.

October 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  44. Sista Knows It All

Wow, really? This is actually a consideration? Whether to be Hero Luke or Like Lite?

C'mon, people, there is trouble in the Middle East, European debt thrreatening the world, and a governmen that is "of the righ, by the rich, for the rich"... why are we wasting our time with this drivel.

Besides, everyone knows Leia was the ONLY star of this mess!

October 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • Maron Flar

dribble...no, babble.

October 25, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
      • cocoloco

Halloween is for satan worshippers!

October 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
      • Otaku

@cocoloco:

Well, Satan apparently throws a good party!

October 25, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • Jedi JC

Because if all we did was stress about the Middle East 24 hrs a day, we would miss what we're meant to do here on this planet... try our best to enjoy the little things. You know, like dressing up with our children on Halloween.

October 25, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
      • murica

why don't we just drop that huge freakin nuke we just took apart on that stupid black box they worship and call it a day and screw europe lets call in our debts from post WWII and get ours taken care of and star wars rules

October 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • asouidhh

So to draw attention to your issues kids should dress up as responsible bankers then

October 25, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Andulamb

So I take it that you will never ever talk about anything trivial until all of the world's problems have been solved.

October 25, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Joe

So what are your kids dressing up as for Halloween? A bad Muslim stereotype or a one-Euro coin?

October 25, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • benjo

Yeah, cuz Harrison Ford never went on to do anything.

October 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  45. GrumpyDude

Plain and simple why the prequels were horrible...everybody was "perfect" pretty-boy looking, spoke way too well and eloquently, was clean shaven or trimmed, proper acting (except when script dictated to be evil) and otherwise wooden. The older originals had scruffy, gruff talking, dirty, obnoxious, sneaky and otherwise "human" acting characters. That off-the-shelf looking pansy suit that young Darth is wearing is just not believable in any way.

October 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • Dale

Well, I guess the folks in the prequels were not as 'clumsy or random' as the folks in Ep. IV. They were 'more elegant, for a more civilized age. Before the Dark Times...'

October 25, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  46. Maron Flar

12/20/2011 Star Wars The old Republic!!!

October 25, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  47. VaderKnowsBest

I think I can pull off the Jek Porkins look this year!!!

October 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Jason K

Porkins, pull up!

October 25, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
      • david

Stay on Target!

October 26, 2011 at 6:34 am |
  48. U.S.Army-OverLord

Darth Vader for me. Why only go halfway with it.🙂 I want the full POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!!!

October 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • cdgfla

Nice. A real Boba Fett costume would be the schiz.. I'd definately leave the helmet on for the girlfriend too.

October 25, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • GrumpyDude

Yeah...that version of Darth looks like he visits the dark side pretty often.

October 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Mijan

Dark side has cookies. Cookies are all-important.

October 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
      • pg318

Come to the dork side, we have pi...

October 25, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  49. The_Hawk

Either way, Lucas gets more money to stuff under his blubbery neck.

October 25, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • jimmytwotimes

I spit my coke on my keyboard...thanks a lot!

October 25, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  50. lol

terrible article. i stopped reading a little bit into it. why does somebody write something nobody cares about?

October 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • cdgfla

Why do you click on an article about subject matter you do not care about? To perpetuate the self belief that you are better than us nerds? I'm sure you have left alot of things in your closet...

October 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • tldr

terrible comment. i stopped reading a little bit into it.

October 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Jedi JC

I agree with cdgfla. Who wastes their time writing about an article that was a waste of their time?

October 25, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Jason K

Blasphemy! May you sit on a lightsaber and find the activator switch!

October 25, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  51. dmarie

Really... you are trying to control what aspects of SCI FI your son thinks is cool? Its ok for him to like Star Wars but he has to like it the same way you do? Live through your own body, not your son's.

October 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Natasha

I believe that was the point of her article, coming to the realization that even in these sorts of frivoulous pursuits kids will eventually exercise their own taste and you have to come to terms with that. They won't like what we like or in the same way that we do.

October 25, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  52. Frank

BOOBIES

October 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  53. Ogre

NERDS!!!!

October 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Jared

And proud of it!

October 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Manuel

NERDS. Why Thank You.

October 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • Jedi JC

It's GEEK, not NERD. Get it right DORK.

October 25, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • dallen

Oh Ogre, you call us nerds now, but you will join us. It has been foreseen...

October 25, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  54. LucasNowSucks

Your kids would be much better off just going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters.

October 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • cdgfla

Mine will be bullseyeing womprats while I get dirty in Mos Eisley.

October 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • dallen

I can't afford to waste money on costumes if I'm to send my kid to the Imperial Academy after one more harvest.

October 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Nedi

There exists an adonditial way to reduce the has an effect on of adverse credit. It can be by simply improving your credit by simply maintaining the particular bare minimum balance appropriately in your savings account.

November 14, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
  55. Ryan

Is it really a question? WHat realy Starwars fan would dress like pre-Vader Aniken?

October 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  56. Tyrion

5>4>>6>3>2>1

October 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • LucasNowSucks

Exactly

October 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Laughin Jude

This man speaks truth.

October 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Lucas Now REALLY sucks

yes. His pathetic attempts to convince us that the Empire was bad and the "Rebellion" was good and a movement by the "people" fall far short of the mark.

October 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  57. Dave

The problem with today's generation: They think Clone Troopers/Storm Troopers are the good guys.....

October 25, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • will

That's not a problem, because the Clone Troopers were the good guys for a short while. Just like Anakin wasn't always bad, just moody and very temper mental.

October 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • cdgfla

Bingo. And that George Lucas is capable of writing a screenplay on his own. Ugh.

October 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Maron Flar

The Republic's existence is vital to the universe wether it works in conjunction with the Jedi or with the Sith.

October 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • SLA

Um, the Clone Troopers ARE good, until the Emperor "flips the switch", then they go bad – Duh! My son is going as Captain Rex for the 2nd year in a row!

October 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  58. michael james decker

I would go as Princes Lea. I always likeed that hair. Then I can get the older Luke...

October 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • cdgfla

Yeah but it had better be the Jabba Slave/Dancer version of Lea. If I had a nickel for everytime I....well, we all know what I'm talking about here.

October 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  59. Costume Fail

We've got more pics of crazy Star Wars costumes than you could ever imagine at http://CostumeFail.com. Be happy that your son is not dressing as R2D2.

October 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  60. geekmom

Love reading the comments to this article! I'm a geek mom with a geek job (comic shop) and geek kids who dress up like Star Wars all the time to play, not just at Halloween.

October 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • rob

and will never get a peace of @$$ ever.

October 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
      • Cass

That's adorable, Rob, really. Of course, my husband is a super huge geek. We watch Star Trek, Star Wars, and LOTR together.Oh, and our other three partners (did I mention we're poly?) are also geeks. That's a lot of geeks not getting laid there...oh, wait...

October 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
      • murica

cass thats is nasty can't wait till u get crabs

October 25, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  61. lake

Born in 1991. Love the original 3, hate the new 3. Sorry, but I watched Luke and Leia way to much as a kid to abandon them.

October 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • Liz

I agree. The original is the best. I still have it on VHS. We broke the tape of New Hope, then found one in a thrift store in its original VHS bax and all. We were so excited you thinked we found gold, which we did.

October 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • will

Well, as you know, the Skywalker legacy started with the prequels, and rather before Episode I, but don't feel that you are abandoning Luke and Leia, if you have slight feelings for the prequels. Otherwise you will be abandoning historic events, that would serve no meaning to Luke and Leia and friends, without the prequels.

October 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Mert

today it's May the Fourth and I immediately ceolpetmd the phrase for him. He admitted his daughter was very much into Star Wars and Clone Wars at the moment, and when someone else at the meeting said she'd never seen the movies a little discussion ensued about production order and numerical order and to my private relief and even amazement, there were no nasty comments, just a mention or two of the technology just wasn't ready back then. I've heard the comments about how it's good to know there's more to Star Wars than what sloshes around online; now, I have something tangible to hold on to there.

July 3, 2012 at 2:42 am |
  62. M@!

Me? I'd go as Darth Revan.

October 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • cdgfla

Yeah. KOTOR was a better addition to the cannon than any of those three abortions Luca made recently.

October 25, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  63. Gene

It's Biggs Darklighter.

October 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • StinkBucket

I was Biggs last year for Halloween...It was encouraging to see how many people recognized the character! #nerdtastic

October 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  64. boozygrogy

CNN will talk about anything to get your mind off of the Occupy Wall Street movement. it's a trap!

October 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Jared

I agree. OWS is a trap!

October 25, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • RabiaDiluvio

as if there is anything to say about OWS at this point. Been there, smelled it, laughed and moved on.

October 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • dallen

We won't get another chance at this, Admiral!

October 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  65. E.W. Swan

After three years of being a clone trooper, my five year old son has decided to be Obi-Wan Kenobi this year... alas, not old Ben, but General Kenobi from the Clone Wars.

October 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  66. The original 3 were the best

Now I see another boxed set is comming out. What a joke. Typical of what happens when creative people get rich. They get lazy.

October 25, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  67. manfacingsouth

Haydensen couldn't even tie Mark Hamill's shoelaces, if he had some. Its the old Academy all the way, baby!

October 25, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Jason K

Hayden Christensen single handledly RUINED Star Wars. Now, the scourge of my dreams as a child has been replaced by a whiny emo b!tch

October 25, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  68. Gary

I like my starwars costumes and movies like I like my women. Not having Hayden Christensen in them.

October 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • Vince

That was PURE GOLD!

October 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Jason K

Not covered in bees?

October 25, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  69. patNY

I'm dressing up as Biggs Starlighter, with my power converters I got from Toshi Station from pal Tanks!

October 25, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Shawn

It's Biggs Darklighter. He wasn't friends with anyone at Toshi Station, especially Tanks.

October 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
      • Jason K

But his cousin Gavin later hooks up with a Bothan chick and gets space crabs.

October 25, 2011 at 4:40 pm |