Lolita fashion finds a niche in the U.S.
October 21st, 2011

Lolita fashion finds a niche in the U.S.

San Francisco will see an exciting new addition to its fashion boutiques this fall with the addition of a line of clothing from Japanese designer h.NAOTO.

NEW PEOPLE, San Francisco's premiere destination for all things Japanese, has just hosted an event to celebrate the debut of the fashion line, which was previously only available for purchase in Japan.

Many of h.NAOTO's designs fall into the category of "gothic lolita," which is a term that may be commonplace in Japan, but is still considered a niche in the United States.

You may not be sure what you are looking at if you spot a woman wearing doll-like clothing, highly detailed accessories such as patterned stockings or ruffled cuffs, small hats, and long curled, flowing hair. Does she carry a small purse with handles? Does her clothing seem as if it's come from another century?

You've seen your first Lolita.

Many Americans may be familiar with the word "Lolita" from Vladmir Nabokov's 1955 novel, which tells the tale of a middle-aged man who falls in love with a twelve year old girl. The novel has remained a topic of discussion ever since, spawning the pop culture version of lolita, which was once used to describe a "sexually precocious" girl.

However, another aspect of the word "lolita" describes youth, and it's this meaning that's intended in the fashion style that bears this name. The style includes victorian-inspired clothing and also echoes Rococo stylings, although since its inception the fashion genre has expanded to include much more.

Women who participate in the movement are often compared to living dolls, and Japanese brands such as Angelic Pretty, Baby, The Stars Shine Bright and Pink House made major strides in making this type of fashion widely available to young people who were interested in wearing it. While Pink House has since turned to more modern, wearable clothing styles, they were credited with kicking off the lolita style with the opening of their boutique in 1979.

Lolita fashion eventually spawned a subsect called "gothic lolita", which featured the same doll-like stylings, but tied them into the gothic style that was also known in the U.S. and UK for its touches of punk, Elizabethan and Victorian inspiration. Mostly all clothing worn is black or jewel toned, and the appearance tends to be dramatic.

Japanese fashion brand Milk is credited with being one of the earliest retailers to promote the movement in Tokyo's fashionable Harajuku district. Much like Pink House, Milk has also turned to more wearable styles in an everyday sense, but their collections still echo the childlike qualities lolita fashion is known for.

So why does a young woman want to look like a doll? While the fashion may seem so elaborate that it surely seems as if it's merely to make a visual statement and nothing else, women who enjoy dressing in it would differ. Lolita fashion has a healthy following not only in Japan, but also in the United States, and a few English-speaking websites such as Lolita FashionΒ exist for fans of the culture to meet and share stories and photos of their outfits.

A beautiful quarterly publication called the Gothic & Lolita Bible was localized by manga publisher Tokyopop in 2007 so English speaking audiences could enjoy it as well.

Some fans of the fashion believe that it is a direct commentary on the oversexualization of the female image, and by taking it in a new direction, lolitas challenge the image of what women are supposed to look like. Some believe it makes them less approachable, creating a wall of safety between themselves and men who might otherwise approach them. Some enjoy the idea of looking doll-like and simply enjoy the fashion for what it is, and like wearing it out in public gatherings.

Tourists started to notice lolita fashion thanks to visits to Tokyo's Harajuku district, which is thought of as one of the most fashionable areas in Tokyo. This shopping districts offers tons of options for women interested in dressing in lolita style.

In addition, the area is famous for being a gathering place on Sundays for young people who enjoy alternative fashion. Visitors to the area can see a wide variety of different styles across the lolita spectrum, as well as cosplayers showing off outfits inspired from their favorite anime and manga series and much more.

While lolita fashion still remains a niche in the United States, women who participate in it are passionate about it. With the debut of h.NAOTO's fashion line in America, however, it's clear that Japanese designers are aware of the demand for their products overseas, and perhaps this means more opportunities in the future for the movement to grow and gain popularity and recognition.

How do you feel about lolita fashion? Would you ever consider wearing it, or does the idea of looking like a doll make you feel uncomfortable?

Posted by
Filed under: Otaku
  1. noname

Lolita is much better than what Lady GaGa wears, that's for sure.

October 22, 2011 at 4:32 am |
    • June

Gaga has actually done lolita a couple of times before. She's no Rinrin or Mana but I'd like to point out it has happened.

October 23, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  2. Nadine Brown

I am thrilled that CNN has decided to reconize this movement. I am a mother and housewife (by choice) of a family of three. I have worked at various places (NASA, National Gallery of Art) am well educated (Internatioal Business, EMS, Nutrition) and I am active in all aspects of my life (church, son's school, local community services). I am also a lolita and neo-victorian.

I wear classic (Victorian Maiden brand style) and casual (Emily Temple Cute). I think it's about time clothing is just about making the WEARER feel good rather than the observer. My husband agrees.

I am soon to be 30 and I have been interested in the fashion for 12 years. I have been wearing it for 2. I get all kinds of reactions. Most are quiet snickers behind me. However, I am covered, respectable and respected for my choices.

We are not rich, by any means. I do not spend gobs of money and time on my clothes. I actually spend no more than the average american woman (in my position) does/ would a month. My husband isn't embarassed by it. He actually walks taller when he sees me getting a rather polite compliment, and my body is well dressed to deserve it.

Wearing lolita, mori-girl, neo-victorian and otome makes this woman feel like more of a woman. I am clothed, properly covered, confident and it shows.

October 22, 2011 at 4:07 am |
    • Tristesse de la Lune

You're a person that people should be proud.

October 23, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
      • Nadine Brown

ty <3!

October 24, 2011 at 12:40 am |
  3. Jonny

Lolita Fashion can quickly find a niche in my bedroom please.

October 22, 2011 at 3:15 am |
  4. JJJ

Anything that calls attention to itself is not modest. Perhaps you want to use another adjective?

October 22, 2011 at 2:40 am |
  5. M-Theory

This style has been around for more than a decade but I like it. Taschen publishers have a great book on it. It also reminds me of steampunk and is a natural transition from 80's & new wave style that permeates the major US cities.

I see fashion heading in a Victorian/ 1920's/ steampunk sort of way......

October 22, 2011 at 1:07 am |
    • Naomi

I sure hope so! I absolutely love steampunk. If lolita went completely overseas, my life would be made.

November 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  6. Lorie

This look is interesting if abit dated.....however the poor Asian girls in the picture can't nearly pull it off. Who ever heard of Asian girls dressed in European style clothes. They sould be wearing Komonos.

October 22, 2011 at 12:47 am |
    • Nate

It's just your racist expectations affecting your perception. Many Asian girls pull it off just fine.

October 22, 2011 at 12:52 am |
    • yi

wowww maybe you're not aware of how repulsively racist that was but dry heaves were had all around

October 22, 2011 at 1:45 am |
    • Chris

Well I think that someone wearing their ass on their head is ridiculous, but with a racist comment like that, you seem to pull it off shockingly well.

October 22, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
      • FlyingFox

I applaud this comment.

October 22, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  7. Raelythe

Personally, I prefer this: http://innocent-w.jp/shopping/113718/index.html over this: http://omg.yahoo.com/photos/what-were-they-thinking-5303/

People need to lighten up and actually READ the article. Just because the fashion shares the same name as a novel, doesn't make it the same thing.

October 22, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  8. Weeaboo

Weeaboos. Weeaboos everywhere.....

October 21, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
  9. david

Oooooo F-able

October 21, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  10. mike

God I love this spoiled, decadent country. We can waste print space (or electrons) on an article about what the latest fashion poodles are wearing and why it is important. Meanwhile, most of the world is wondering if they will have their bowl of rice with or without vermin. Articles like this just make me all tired inside.

October 21, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
    • Kim

...says the person that read this article. LOL, you hypocrite.

October 21, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
    • newton

dont get so tired. even in the poorest villages, fashion is always important to any cultural. it might just be beads and baubles , but apparel's role in ranking your status exists in every primitive or modern society – even places where people are starving. And dress up fantasy exists in most every primitive society as well. Do you think hungry people just sit around naked all day? They still have a tribal culture they live by, which includes, even if primitive, some sort of ranking by what they wear

October 22, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • FlyingFox

If you're so concerned about it, spend some time getting food to them instead of wasting it on the internet.

October 22, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Xan

I was waiting for one of these comments. There is all kinds of news in the world, it is what makes things more interesting. We normally would have...example...8 articles on important world issues with all the seriousness of everything that is needed. In depth detail on ..example..how a certain Libyan dictator died including graphic images. Then we have one softer news article that is just a nice read. News, whether it be paper, radio, tv or internet has ALWAYS had a variety of stories.

October 23, 2011 at 3:23 am |
  11. shukurac

Really? Lolita Gothic? Ummm....no just 1500-1850 fashion revisited.

October 21, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
    • Tristesse de la Lune

1500 waering style it was from the Renaissance, has no aesthetics resemblances with the Lolita fasshion that are Rococo, Victorian and Edwardian aesthetics.

The Lolita stule is INSPIRED on those canons.

If you gonna quote ephemeris to the dates of the historical syles, be accurate.

October 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  12. nrl

Why wont people just acknowledge that clothes are clothes and we all have different tastes. Maybe some girls that wear lolita do want attention, but then again so do alot of girls that wear "normal" clothes. It just so happens that these people are people who like something most arent interested in. If you people actually knew people who like lolita youd find that alot of them wear it just because they think it looks pretty or nice. Just like the reason you wear your clothes is because you like the way they look.

October 21, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  13. ChicagoRob

seriously...doesn't lolicon=pedo?

October 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • Kiljoy616

I guess for you yes. For others it means victoria like clothes from girls with way to much money to burn. Still better than 200 dollar basketball seats.

October 21, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
    • Someone

maybe yes lolicon=pedo ...but this is lolita not lolicon

October 22, 2011 at 12:33 am |
  14. b4bigbang

@Say: If ya get rude treatment for what ya wear in San Fran, just come on up here to Seattle. On Seattle's Capitol Hill you can wear anything ya want and it's all ok!

October 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  15. Oh trolls

Considering super full dresses, high waisted skirt and more modest clothes are becoming more mainstream I'm happy this type of article has been written.

There's nothing wrong with wearing what you want. I don't see why there's so much butthurt here.

October 21, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • Kiljoy616

Because people are just naked monkeys and anything different freaks them out.

October 21, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
  16. Philly Loita

Oh if only the shops would open here. There are so many of us attending meets on a daily basis on weekends now here in Philly. Oh well travel to NY I suppose. Too all my fellow Lolita's we can only hope that one day there will be a Lolita shop in each city. So far United states is the only one that lacks in that area.

October 21, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
  17. Chester

This entire collection from the "article" to the photos to the commentary is so pathetic. This is why the United States is ranked so low in education and technology, not because kids are wearing silly costumes, but because reports of it and other equally non-newsworthy stories are clogging our "news" outlets. But I read it too, so I'm just as guilty. It's like a car accident...you hate to look, but you have to wonder what is going on.

October 21, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • MaximEyes

NEWSFLASH : Your commentary is pathetic, seriously. It's an article. People have relevant things to say. Get over yourself and your negativity.

October 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • M-Theory

Who could have guessed a guy named "Chester" would have this opinion?

October 22, 2011 at 1:10 am |
    • June

Just wondering on what criteria you deem this un-newsworthy?

October 23, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  18. sockpuppet

I don't have a problem with the style, but man those dresses are ugly. At least find/make dresses that are more asthetically pleasing. My 7 yr old daughter has cuter dresses than that.

October 21, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Philly Loita

Lol. They can pretty scary cute!!

October 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
      • Kelci

Indeed! There are so many different styles within the fashion that I really do think that there is something that appeals to everyone. I can understand, though, that not everyone will like it, heh.

October 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • Aften

Man. Are you blind? Those are brand name dresses and are quite delicate. Your daughter's 7 year old style is not our style. thanks ^_^;

October 22, 2011 at 12:13 am |
    • Fey

Thanks for not having a problem with the style, and knowing that everyones taste is different. I'm sorry about some of the rude replies you got, but we're used to having to defend ourselves from people that arn't as accepting as you. Also, there are more dresses out there that look totaly different. Thier not all bad!

October 26, 2011 at 1:51 am |
      • Nadine Brown

>_< This Fey times 100!

October 26, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  19. XD

I have loved lolita fashion for several years–mainly along the lines of the gothic lolita and the sweet lolita. I have no problem walking out into public dressed up because it is like any other fashion trend. I prefer the lolita style because it strikes me as cute and classy–all without being whorish and trashy.

As for how other people see it–I tend to get comments from lots of guys when I dress up. The interesting thing is that it is pretty much any type of guy except for the "normal" guy. Bikers, punks, goths, and many others will recognize my outfits and strike up conversation. πŸ™‚

October 21, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • Chester

Do you think there is a reason that "normal" guys don't want to talk to you when you're dressed like that?

October 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
      • naomi rori

I would think it is because they know they would have to do a lot more than buy a girl dinner to get her into bed. Any well educated man isn't afraid to approach a woman based on dress but the average guy is typically looking for one thing and due to the fact that lolita is about feminine modesty, it is obvious that the goal in mind is not going to happen.

October 21, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  20. Mike

"Feminine" is ALWAYS a good look for a woman.

October 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  21. Say

I've worn loli for years. I'm glad it's making its way to the US, though I can say from experience that walking around downtown San Francisco in loll is nothing like walking around Tokyo in it. You really have to have a thick skin to go all out wearing it and not be bothered by the rude looks people give you in the States. I think it'd be a lot more at home in New York; for all the liberal BS of San Francisco, it's the most judgmental city I've ever lived in (including Houston).

October 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • b4bigbang

@Say: If ya get rude treatment for what ya wear in San Fran, just come on up here to Seattle. On Seattle's Capitol Hill you can wear anything ya want and it's all good!

October 21, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
    • Laiferr

English lolita who wore lolita while in New York here. It's not really different, still got comments (people shouting Alice! at me) and I was only wearing casual. I've worn lolita in a few countries, to many different places in England, it wildly varies on who is there at that particular point in time, to be honest.

October 22, 2011 at 4:57 am |
  22. Dawn

I've always loved Lolita styles. Not quite enough to spend the hours and money on makeup and wardrobe, though πŸ˜›

October 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
  23. CM

A Lolita lover's mantra: "You know what I like about High School girls? I keep gettin' older and they stay the same age"

October 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • garcam

Made me laugh out loud! How True!

October 21, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • EM2

It appears to me that the ones that like the fashion are the girls dressing in it.

Just for the record, I don't care either way about this or that type of fashion. At least the girls wearing this type of clothes has there butts and boobs covered. Have you stepped outside and seen what girls wear today? If you want to throw a fit about something, go to the mall or where ever kids hang out and take a look at what "normal" girls are wearing. At least these girls are covering up.

October 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  24. trisha

the ladies in the picture are wearing $700+ worth of clothes and accessories. That's a far cry for being trailer trash.

October 21, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  25. Fangtoothsquirrel2214

They should just shorted it to Loli. Everybody knows what that means.

Go watch Kamakazi Girls on youtube for an explanation of this fashion trend.

October 21, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  26. natalie

I dont get why people have such a problem with this fashion. Can't you people open your eyes just a little? What makes this fashion bad? We're just wearing what we find beautiful. I dont point and laugh at girls wearing skin tight jeans, and low cut tight shirts because if they like it who am I to tell them its bad, I respect everyone for wearing what they want. Why is it that we automatically need attention for wearing these clothes? What if it is just truly what we're interested in and want to wear that. Even I you don't like it you dont have to bombard the fashion with insults right away. How would you like it if someone did that to something you love. Every person is different as an individual, and you have to look past differences and see that person for who they are on the inside and not what they wear on the out, because thats whats really truly part of growing up and becoming an adult. It has nothing to do with clothes. This world is already ugly enough with the way people treat eachother for silly reasons. So cant you open up your mind a bit try to make a difference by attempting to co-exist with others even if they like something other than you do?

October 21, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • EM2

That's exactly what I'm saying!

October 21, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • mintiemii

People are afraid that other people might not care what they think, so this is their way of making it about themselves. They can't handle the idea that they may not actually be important, so they say instead that we must actually be craving their attention. They need to justify their sad existences somehow.

October 21, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
      • JJJ

Right, And people who can't reason their way out of a paper bag use unsupported psychobabble in an attempt to undermine the validity of their opponents arguments, just like people saying anyone opposed to immigration is racist.

October 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
  27. EM2

You guys are funny on here, but the Yahoo commentators are the funniest!

October 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
  28. Burbank

I would wear it if I were young enough. I like it.

October 21, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • EM2

Wear it anyways! You only live once, unless you get frozen. Then they can thaw you out in like a hundred years from now and you can live all over again.

October 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
    • Lyn

It's super cute and fun! Unfortunately, at 49, I'd feel a bit silly wearing this stuff, too. Luckily, I have a daughter that loves this style and has absconded with my Gothic Lolita Bibles. I'm a couture quality sewist, so at least I don't have to take the financial hit.

October 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  29. yawn

This is one of the most asinine, vacuous and pointless comment threads I've seen in a while. And that's saying something.

October 21, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • EM2

I've seen worse.

October 21, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
      • yawn

yikes.

October 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  30. EM2

Some people need to calm down. This is Victorian era style clothes. Dolls, imitating real life, were dressed like that because that is how people dressed in that time period. Have you seen the doll line called Bratz? I wonder why those dolls are dressed like that? I don't see anyone getting an uproar about that crap. Do yourself a favor and learn more history. I'd rather see girls dressed like my great, great, great grandmother than have their hoochie hanging out.

October 21, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
  31. RabiaDiluvio

There is definitely something warped about Lolita fashion and the idea of spending so much money to look like a sxualized child. There are very very few people in the states who can pull it off–it usually makes them look like an aging and strung-out Pippi Longstockings or Bo Peep.

October 21, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • Naomi

They're not trying to look like jail bait – the fashion has absolutely nothing to do with the book. ^-^ Those who are into it wear it because they like old-fashioned clothes and it's cute all the same.

Honestly, I would be more upset about the things your average department store sells. If you want to talk "sxualized child," take a gander at the booty shorts and promiscuous shirts girls wear these days.

November 19, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
      • Nadine Brown

I totaly agree! That and this:

November 20, 2011 at 12:31 am |
      • Nadine Brown

as we can all see, there is a big difference.

November 20, 2011 at 12:32 am |
  32. WORLD IDOL OF THE UNIVERSE

wow, you americans are lame πŸ˜›

October 21, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  33. PhilG.

Wow,that looks like TRASH.

October 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  34. Andrea M

From a design standpoint, I have massive respect for the style. Lolita clothing is gorgeously made from sumptuous fabrics and is really a wonderful style. Would I wear it personally? Probably not. I'm totally down with bustling, ruffles, lace and all that, I just tend to design with longer hems. I go a bit more for victoriana styling as opposed to empire and overall I prefer to nod more to New Romantic as my preferred subculture rather than Lolita.

October 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • Jeepers

It sounded like English...but it was another language I just read.

October 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  35. udone

YAWN. this scene is already dead. this was like 11 years ago,. nothing to see here,. some designer got the "FRUITS" book and got all sewy about it,. so what,. be original.

October 21, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  36. CM

I don't have anything against women wearing these clothes. It's just like goth or ren-fair attire. Whatever floats your boat. But I do question the psychological stability of women who want to look like dolls! Or better yet, the men who like girls that look like dolls (pedos maybe?). Anyway, I would never let my daughter dress this way as it might entice creepy pedos to like her.

October 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • DONT SPEAK

Wow, you are retarded.

October 21, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • Mrmailman

Let me guess, you are fat.

October 21, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
      • CM

Let me guess, you are a fat, middle-aged pervert! By the way, I'm 40 and I have teenagers that I need to teach to stay away from creepy pedophile losers you!

October 21, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
      • Pedophile

Yeah you are fat.

October 21, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
      • CM

I'm not fat, I'm just older. I was way smoking hot when I was younger and I'm not jealous of creepy pedophiles, so stop making stupid immature comments. You losers need to get a life and stop acting like trailer trash!

October 21, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
      • CM

As a matter of fact, I used to do the goth scene. I was a DJ and smoking hot Dom, so you retards that think I'm jealous of pedos who like little girls are stupid and immature.

October 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
      • Pedophile

Fatty, how old are your daughters by the way hmmmm

October 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
      • Mrmailman

plz get off my thread plz both of you creeps

October 21, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
      • CM

If you come near my daughters I will do you a favor and blow that ugly face right off your worthless head!

October 21, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
      • Franzlolol

@CM.
        What age are your daughters? They ought to be rebelling here soon.

October 21, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
      • Rob's friend

Hey CM how fat are you? I'm super into fat girls with hot daughters! Love hitting both extremes in one house

October 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • CM

Great comeback Don't Speak! You should follow your own namesake and keep your idiot mouth shut, unless you have something useful to say, and I'm guessing you never have anything useful to say!

October 21, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
      • Alice

Oh my god, CM, did you really just try to objectify one of your daughters and describe her as a DD to someone in hopes of getting them to feel jealous? You are a terrible, terrible parent– what on earth is wrong with you?

I feel really sorry for your daughters, and hope you get your priorities right soon. Your comment made me sick.

October 21, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
      • seriously

objectifying your daughter to try and win an argument on the internet thats is disgusting

October 22, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • olog-hai

lol so you were smoking hot until you got older, wrinklier, and fat

having read your comments, i can't take you seriously when you can't even practice what you preach

October 21, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
      • CM

I can't take you seriously when you don't even make sense and don't know what you're talking about.

October 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
      • CM

Okay, pedophiles! It's been a real treat talking to grown men who like little asian girls, but me and my DDs gotta go. Oh, you didn't like that did you. Only A cups for you, oh well, so sorry. Peace out!

October 21, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
      • olog-hai

lol you sound upset

you should keep your mouth shut unless you have something useful to say b/c the only useful thing that's come out of your mouth so far is the mention of your daughters, who I will now happily picture with the aid of my hand πŸ˜‰

if you were indeed at hot as you say, i imagine they'll take after you (and you and i both know you'll come back to look at this later)

October 21, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
      • CM

My daughters are beautiful and they wouldn't have anything to do with a loser like you, so I guess all you are left with is your hand!

October 21, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
      • CM

I'll even paint you a picture. One is 5'7 strawberry blonde and the other 5'8 brunette. Both are tall, blue-eyed, curvy (DD), long legs, and fair skin. Now you can go home alone and wish you could have a beautiful girl!

October 21, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
      • olog-hai

hook, line, and sinker.

thanks for coming back just to comment, i lol'd heartily

October 21, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
      • CM

You'll be whacking it hardily too, like you do every night!

October 21, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
      • olog-hai

your comments wound me πŸ˜₯

i guess you can take comfort in the fact that i'm getting less action than your daughters when they're not under your watchful eye

(jk maybe you should google my name, thanks for playing!)

October 21, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
    • NYC

I agree w CM, it is creepy & seems indicative of some issue. same for goths .. and Im sure pedos will love it.

October 21, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
      • really

most pedos like kids before puberty sets in and makes them "adults" these aren't children brands and pedos arent turned on by adults that look like kids.

October 22, 2011 at 10:18 am |
    • Carmen

Well I guess anything is better than having them run around looking like Britney Speares

October 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
      • ChrisC

CM you paint a nice picture, you sound hot.

October 21, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
    • RachelM

I have to agree with you, CM– the people who want to dress up to look like dolls have serious mental issues.
      These "women" are just screaming for the attention that they didn't get as children, and so as they age they must act out their inner child in order to feel complete.
      I don't see the problem with letting these poor people act out their issues,(at least the costume is a dead giveaway that the wearer is unstable) but they shouldn't be surprised or offended when I LMAO at them and point and stare rudely at them in public because they look like retards.

October 21, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
      • seriously

So Im unstable because I like clothing that is pretty and not what you consider normal? alright hen I think Im okay with that. Its just clothing that I think it beautiful and I want to wear it. end of story

October 22, 2011 at 10:12 am |
      • Chris

Wow, presumptuous AND ableist! Well what ever gets your sorry little head rest at night, I guess...

October 22, 2011 at 11:19 am |
      • what ever makes you feel better

cause i point and laugh right back at buttwipes who do that

October 22, 2011 at 11:26 am |
      • Tempest Paige

So someone who publically bullies and ridicules people for dressing they way they want is mentally stable, but someone doing what they love isn't. ok.

October 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • Dya

Or maybe, just maybe... People wear these clothes because they just think it's pretty. GASP.

October 21, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
      • A lolita

nope we all are emotionally unstable and so dsperately want a pedo to love us for our child like-selves /sarcasm

having articles on clothing isnt what makes america ignorant its the inability to try and see something from someone else perspective and understand

October 22, 2011 at 10:20 am |
    • Gwen

Creepy pedos? Seriously?
      Well wouldn't you prefer a pedo to have his interested in a older, legal aged woman than a child?
      IT'S JUST CLOTHING.
      It's much more appropriate than having your teenage daughters walking around half naked in short shorts and boob tubes. You think THAT won't entice a pedo?

October 21, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
      • JJJ

Wow, you really don't know what pedophilia is, do you?

October 21, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
      • at JJJ

no I think you seem to not understant pedophilia the clothing a person chooses to wear has no influence on the pedo. They dont care about anything other then if the child is pre pubescent for the most part very few pedos want teenage or older woman because they are too close to adulthood

October 22, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • Raelythe

This is actually an inaccurate part of the article. I suppose there could be exceptions, but Lolitas do not wear Lolita fashion with the specific intent of looking like dolls. At least none that I know of. There just happen to be a lot of dolls wearing Victorian style clothing. Just like there are a lot of Barbie/Bratz/etc. dolls wearing "normal" clothes, but just because a girl is wearing "normal" clothes doesn't mean she's dressing up with the intent of looking like a Barbie/Bratz/etc. doll. I just felt you should know that after you objectified your own daughters in an attempt to defend yourself against trolls, since your point/opinion on the fashion is completely misguided due to an inaccuracy of this article.

October 22, 2011 at 12:31 am |
    • seriously

If your children meet a pedo what there wearing doesnt matter at all. The worsted they get is alice and bo peep jokes. Pedos dont find victorian colthing anymore atttractive then a mini skirt and a tank top because they arent looking at the clothes

October 22, 2011 at 10:09 am |
    • Lilac

Oh yeah. Even though most of the girls who where lolita are adults or in there late teens, pedophiles would totally be attracted to them. But wait, wouldn't that make them NOT pedophiles? Some people just don't think.

October 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  37. rob

I think someone wore on of these in Madame Bovary, not very original

October 21, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Rob's friend

Bro you are SOOOO funny!!

October 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  38. Fake god

Very pretty! Good for stupid trash.

October 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  39. afraid

ah something is different from the status quo! this confuses me! it scares me! it angers me! i must quickly make assumptions about it and pass judgment!

seriously though, this hobby is not any more or less stupid than 99% of the other hobbies out there. i also went to school with the girl on the right in the photo. she was very quiet, very polite and not at all an attention seeker. i am not into this stuff but i dont see how going to a club every weekend, memorizing sports statistics or catching the latest films is any better or worse.

October 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • teruyo

I love you

October 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  40. SoulTrain1946

Just wait 'til all those overweight and obese American girls squeeze into that line of "clothing." It's not gonna be pretty.

October 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • JJJ

Seriously.. Ever go to a Ren Fair?

October 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Chroma

waaaaaaay too late.

here, a tumblr dedicated to fatties trying to pull off this look: http://fat-loli.tumblr.com/

October 21, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  41. Anton

Very beautiful, and extremely feminine (that's why it's beautiful). I'm guessing all the haters either can't be this pretty, or can't be with a woman this pretty. It's just the opposite of trampy, even with the mini skirts. Mini skirts have been around for 50 years, you'd think the prudes would have gotten over them by now. I also think women of any age could pull this off. I'm over seeing fake breasts spilling over a barely there top. This is what a female should look like. More power to these girls (of all ages).

October 21, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • rob

your gay and the clothes are stupid.

October 21, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
      • Gigi

Then don't wear them? No one is forcing you to.

October 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
      • Karl

grow up robby

October 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
      • rc roeder

Hmmm now were are digressing to a disccusion about rob in a lolita dress..

October 21, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
      • blahblahblah

Hey rob, do us all a favor and kill yourself.

October 21, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
      • Rob's friend

No guys! Don't be offended. Rob is gay too, he didn't mean it like that.

October 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • rob

yes unfortunantly being grown up is exactly why I have these opinions, I don't do beer bongs anymore either.

October 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
      • umm no

Jealousy is unbecoming my friend.

If you really want to dress up in frilly lacy gothic lolita outfits, you go right ahead. As an adult, you have that right.

October 21, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • debbie

So you like your women to be in costume all the time so you don't really know who they are? This is not pretty or feminine – it's the opposite since it represses a woman's true beauty under wigs, umbrellas and way too many layers of clothing and make up. What are they hiding from? and why do you want them to behave this way. You are sick.

October 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
      • umm no

I'd say you are the sick one for jumping to conclusions with no information to go on. You should seek therapy, and maybe try to make some friends.

October 21, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
      • Rob's friend

hey debbie are you fat too??

October 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
      • ya okay

cause "normal girls" dont have extensions, wigs, a lot of make-up, false eyelashes, nail polish, etc. So we wear an extra layer of clothing big deal

October 22, 2011 at 10:26 am |
    • AnaJuana

I agree Anton! Very feminine, very beautiful! I know one friend of mine that would rock this look!~ Too fun!

October 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • CM

I'm guessing you like girls in little girl doll dresses Anton? Is that the only thing that gets you going?

October 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Nadine Brown

Oh man my husband wants to high-five you, and I simply want to hug you for this Anton... ^_^ wish there were way more ppl like you and the other pos repliers here in the world!

October 26, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  42. rob

The people that dedicate their lives to this ridiculous , meaningless endevor are petty, stupid and without value

October 21, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Karl

In life, all pursuits are valid.

October 21, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
      • rob

no actually that is totally incorrect...i'm sure we can both think of many that are indeed not valid at all...and this happens to be one of them.

October 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
      • Rob's friend

Like when Rob tried to be straight, that was pretty FRUITless. hahaha. Right Rob, remember? What a silly endeavor

October 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • Paul

yeah .. anyone who does not kiss your a$$ is less than you ... of course, but for their brain. which is a lot bigger

October 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
      • rob

no they don't have to do that..they should just think of doing something with their lives that has worth...like mowing a lawn or something in example.

October 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
      • Rob's friend

Rob lives to mow lawns! He's the most flaming landscaper I know!!

October 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
    • sparky45

Lighten up Francis. No one gets out alive.

October 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
    • Tempest Paige

people that dedicate their lives to making derogatory internet comments are petty, stupid and without value.

October 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  43. Andrewx80

Yeah you Laugh Now but in 5 years all your girlfriends will be wearing this and looking at pictures from 2005 and saying I"I can't believe we used to dress so funny back then. Remember when it was weird for chicks to have tattoo's? Now it is strange if you don't have one.

October 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • cat78

And one of the biggest growing businesses is tattoo removal – fortunately all we have to do with this trend is look it in a trunk.

October 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
      • Anita Bleaujob

Tattoo removal is a big business because many people lack any foresight. If you're going to get a tattoo, make sure it doesn't say "Ginger" or "Maryanne".

October 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  44. Newsguy

This reads like ad copy. Is CNN basically letting merchandisers write their own articles?

October 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Gigi

apparently you didn't read past the first few paragraphs. You should probably learn to read the entire article first.

October 21, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  45. Stevi

I like this fashion, I think it is cute. Of course, I like different styles rather than the normal slacks and tee shirt. I'd wear it, Just saying. If you want to stand out, get a few laughs, rock on.

October 21, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • rob

Like all "high fashion" its absolutely stupid and without purpose.

October 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
      • lolwhat

The people who dedicate their lives to making snide comments on news articles are petty, stupid, and without value.

October 21, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
      • rob

the difference is I diddn't spen countless hours, money and raw materials to comment so if it is meaningless at least it isn't everthing that i do but for a few moments unlike fasion designers that design clothes no one will ever wear.

October 21, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
      • Izzy

No Rob instead you sat on your fat ass, alone in your apartment making snide comments on the lives of others from the safety of your computer. You are truly living the life! You tell those people who dedicate their lives to the pursuit of art and personal satisfaction how meaningless their lives are! Some loser sitting in his underwear really knows about it! You tell em Rob!

October 22, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  46. Chuck Gaffney

The people bashing the Lolita style are quickly making CNN commentors look more mentally challenged than YouTube commentors.

October 21, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • rob

actually whats not to bash making fun of people who actually think these clothes have any value is so easy its down right natural.

October 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
      • Chuck Gaffney

Elaborate for me. I think girls can look nice in these; Asian girls in particular. There's far more terrible fashions out there...ie: the "pants-on-the ground" thug look that should have been dead since 2003... but even those hilarious chase scenes waiting to happen should wear that if they want.

October 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
      • rob

ageed chuck...i guess it just ..well bugs me to see anything that obviousely took a lot of effort be for nothing.

October 21, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
      • Chuck Gaffney

but it's not for nothing...sounds like you are somebody very scared of change or anything different than the status quo. This is usually a case of insecurity with one's self like a crab in a bucket trying to pull others down with you because they are not doing what you are doing. As you see from me listing my entire name (and not hiding behind a veil of anonymity)...I'm comfortable with myself. Granted, as stated before, styles like the pants on the ground thug look, honestly looks idiotic and lacks function but in the end, to each their own.

October 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
      • Raven

YAY! another sheep!

October 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
      • JJJ

And calling yourself Raven is soooo non-conformist.

October 21, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
      • Raven

That's my name... you moron.

October 21, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
      • JJJ

OK, I was wrong. It was your parents who had the false sense of uniqueness and then tried to pass it on to you. My bad. You may resume your life that in no way is influenced by outside stimuli.
        (yes, there are independent thinkers out there, but history has shown that anyone who claims to be one, isn't)

October 22, 2011 at 2:47 am |
      • at JJJ

stop trying to throw big word together that you don't know the meaning off it makes you look dumb

October 22, 2011 at 10:57 am |
  47. Carolyn

Next, and soon, it will be real 12 year old girls and younger...not adult women. Kids cannot be kids anymore...esp. girls.

October 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Karl

There's nothing wrong with being feminine, no matter what your age. Don't be scared of something you don't understand for yourself.

October 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
      • debbie

Being feminine has nothing to do with hiding behind all this garbage. Apparently you're only into fantasy women and not real women – probably because you lack that certain something....

October 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
      • seconddavid

Debbi is a fattie. Ever heard of a non-fattie talking about "real" women? Didn't think so.

October 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm |

Karl = pedophile!

October 21, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
  48. unknown11

Dress how you want. I guess I really don't care. Why would I? But the idea that you can get pizzed at me if I mock you or point and laugh is pretty stupid. What right do you have to tell me that I cannot express myself when I see you trying to get attention. If you want to dress like a clown, peopla are going to point and laugh. Why not? You are doing it for attention. So, you get attention.

October 21, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Seriously

Because I am not insulting you are being mean by dressing in clothing that is fun and makes me feel good; however, you are being cruel by opening mocking someone. If you can not see the disjoint between those two activities then I feel bad for you.

October 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
      • rob

FYI if you need to wear absurd, outlandish and totally impractical as well as unfunctional clothes to "feel good" you got bigger issues to worry about than getting picked on in this little chatroom honey.

October 21, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
      • Gigi

Are you speaking from personal experience Rob? It sounds like you are.... were you having problems with the corset lacing? Or the bloomers? It's ok we can help you with that.

October 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
      • rob

Gigi ...no i suppose I could cram in to a large version of these 17th century colonial knock off abortions.

October 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
      • Rob hater

People who put other down to feel good have problems too.

Psychopathy (/saΙͺˈkΙ’pΙ™ΞΈi/[1][2]) is a mental disorder characterized primarily by a lack of empathy and remorse, shallow emotions, egocentricity, and deceptiveness. Psychopaths are highly prone to antisocial behavior and abusive treatment of others, and are very disproportionately responsible for violent crime. Though lacking empathy and emotional depth, they often manage to pass themselves off as normal people by feigning emotions and lying about their pasts. wiki

October 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
      • rob

@Rob hater...so let me get this straigt, you hate me because I think these clothes are meangless tripe....read you copy past looking in a mirrior.

October 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
      • Rob's friend

hey rob, no one would believe you're putting anything straight because you are obviously super gay. so it makes sense that you don't find these girls attractive, but would you chose this for yourself? I bet you could pull it off...

October 21, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  49. Iceman

She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks, she was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always – Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin. My soul.

October 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  50. urmomlol

Translation: pay attention to me! pay attention to me!

October 21, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Stupid People Are Stupid

Translation: you have no idea what you are talking about so STFU.

October 21, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
      • JJJ

So, Stupid, you just dress up in this clothing and stay in your private room? You don't don't go to steampunk or goth events with similarly dresses people, and get excited when friends ask you where you bought it, or how you made it? Unless you are autistic, you wear it for attention. It doesn't make you any less of a person, however lying about it does.

October 21, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
      • Jay

@JJJ,
        Yes, there might be some that wear these kind of clothes for attention, but a lot wear fashionable clothes just for their own self-satisfaction... not for attention, but cause they enjoy the aesthetic of the style. They could care less of what other people think.

October 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
      • JJJ

@Jay, attention is where you find it. Narcissism is a form of attention-seeking, even if it is in the mirror. While you have a theoretical point (some men wear women's underwear because it makes them feel good, and no one else can see it), this is really just an extension of cosplay which is, by definition, done for an audience. So I'll admit that a fraction of a percent of people involved in the Lolita scene may do it just for it's own sake, but I'll stand by my comment that the vast majority of participants are looking for feedback. The only thing here that bothers me is that so many people are in denial of their need for attention. It's really kind of sad. If posters here just said "yes, I like dressing up and having people appreciate my look and my style, because it makes me feel good, and validates my efforts" then all the haters would have nothing to day.

October 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • urmomlol

NOU

October 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • debbie

Absolutely true! Nobody will ever need to wonder where the insecure women are – they will stand out for all the world to see. Love it! Until one day they will demand that things be made to accomodate their ridiculous attire and then it will be on like donkey friggin kong!

October 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • rob

EXACTLY urmomlol! what people will do for attention.

October 21, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  51. Stupid People Are Stupid

Seriously? *eye roll*

October 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Stupid People Are Stupid

Oops. Ignore this.

October 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • Carol

Absolutely disgusting!

October 21, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
      • Stupid People Are Stupid

I actually meant to comment on someone else's post. The eyeroll was because they said something rude and stupid about the fashion I LIKE TO DRESS IN. So no, I don't think it's disgusting.

October 21, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  52. LadyGagGag

These two girls look like the ladies in the old Westerns that used to hang around the saloon and take men upstairs to their rooms for some "wild west" fun.

October 21, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Gigi

No... no they don't. Look up 'Saloon girls' then look up 'Victorian fashion' (I hear there is a site named google that you can search with) they are two very different things.

October 21, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  53. buppity

Fashion is Fashion – it doesn't matter how it looks. People in the US find "EVERYTHING" odd if they are not familiar with it.

October 21, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • K

That's why this country's fashion is so damn boring.

October 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Mir

Exactly!

October 22, 2011 at 11:52 am |
  54. RYanzzzz

I find it funny how many Americans on this thread are knocking this fashion aesthetic as jailbait or trampy. There's actually an element of modesty involved, and it would be a welcome change from girls (and adult women) in this country dressing straight out of the Jersey Shore. Also, the picture above is a bit biased, in that the girls are taking the fashion to a bit of an extreme (plus they're asian so they naturally look younger).

October 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  55. moegreen

Don't kid yourselves... The style comes from harder core anime... Lots of neck collars (bondage), corsets, short skirts, thigh highs, garder belts, always high heel shoes or boots. If you have a young daughter keep track of this fashion statement – its ... YIKES!!!

October 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Julie

I think you are extremely mistaken. This style did not develop out of anime, and skirts shorter than knee length are usually shunned. Also, the most popular lolita shoes are nearly flat with a rounded toe.

October 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
      • K

I think this person is confusing cosplay with an actual fashion.

October 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
      • cat78

This "fashion" appears to be a direct extension of the type of costume play born from anime. The picture with the article is very "costumey"... because the clothes don't appear to make any original statement – they seem to only be referential to an inauthentic idea of the past.

October 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Gigi

You obviously have no clue what you are talking, I hope you are a troll.

October 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • ajk68

I think you just need to go to Akihabara to know where this is headed.

October 21, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • ah no

there are anime character lolitas but thats not what a lolita dresses like. Please read the article. High heels are very uncommon Ive never seen it with stilettos, most wear tights or knee highs and garters aren't apart of the fashion unless a girl chooses to wear them.

October 22, 2011 at 11:02 am |
  56. Bkk4life

Lolitas is a BJ bar in Bangkok. Wonderful place.

October 21, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • palintwit

I hope the girls that 'work' there don't dress like the two in the picture. That could be bad for business.

October 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
      • Anita Bleaujob

Their business is BJs. I'm pretty sure those will sell well regardless of the "fashion" involved.

October 21, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  57. unknown11

LOOK AT ME EVERYONE. I AM DRESSED FUNNY. I HAVE A RIGHT TO DRESS FUNNY. LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME.

October 21, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • MyTake

Look at me !! I am posting on CNN ... Look at me!!

October 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
      • K

LOL.

October 21, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
      • Nadine Brown

lol

October 22, 2011 at 4:22 am |
  58. Trish

One day people over the age of 19 who dress like this (or any other subculture) will realize they have to grow up. Let's hope it is sooner than later.

October 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • K

I'm grown up. I'm 30 and I dress in this fashion. It has nothing to do with being a little kid. I just like to dress pretty. What's the harm in that????

October 21, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • RYanzzzz

Yes, Trish, there's nothing like conformity. Where do you shop? Eileen Fisher?

October 21, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
      • abrous

More like Layne Bryant!

October 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Patrick B

Your comment is repugnant and seemingly so are you. I pity anyone in your life, especially if you have any children. Hopefully none of them will ever identify with anything you deem a "subculture," since your intolerance will likely eventually lead him or her to contemplate suicide.

How does it feel to be publicly attacked and ridiculed? Because that's exactly what you and others like you are doing to countless individuals around the world with your comments. Why don't you and all of the other hateful people on these boards take half a second to think about how your words will make other people feel, unless you are, as you seem, a miserable misanthrope. It adds nothing positive whatsoever to this discussion and makes me lose a little bit more faith in my fellow human being. I'm surprised that's even still possible.

October 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • Kyoko

I'm 17 almost 18 and the youngest lolita I know most are significantly older than me so...yeah I don't think that is going to happen.

October 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • Mir

Yeah, sorry, I'm 27 and still going strong. You, however, are far too wrapped up in this idea that you have to conform to a certain dress or behavior standard in order to remain age appropriate. I feel very sorry for you.

October 22, 2011 at 11:50 am |
  59. Badly-Bent

This will porbably be good for the "entrapment" crowd.

October 21, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  60. Badly-Bent

Your honor, I had no idea she was so young. . .

October 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • LadyGagGag

Looks to me like a bunch of wanna-be 18th century barbies who need a good rogering.

October 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  61. OleWhatsHisName

So, do the outfits also come with fake id's?

October 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • NorCalMojo

doesn't matter, you'll still get arrested.

October 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  62. Julie

I am so pleased to see a well researched article on lolita fashion. I have been into lolita fashion for over a decade now, and usually articles about it are filled with rude snap judgements and inaccuracies.

I would like to note that there is a substyle of lolita fashion called classical lolita, which is a more mature version. Check out the brands Victorian Maiden, Mary Magdalene, Innocent World, Juliette et Justine, or Excentrique if you are interested. (http://www.victorianmaiden.com/, http://www.marymagdalene.jp/, http://www.innocent-w.jp/, http://juliette-et-justine.com/, http://www.excentrique.biz/index.html)

October 21, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • La Vie Classique

Yes! I agree with this.

October 22, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  63. NorCalMojo

Sorry folks. Lolita has meant jail-bait since 1955. It's a literary reference to a book about a middle aged man and 12 year old girl.

If you don't like the assumptions, it's time to think of a new name.

October 21, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Phoenix

You missed out on the 80's didn't you?

October 21, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
      • Phoenix

Wow...that was supposed to be a response to O.kee....but it ended up here. Sorry.

October 21, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
      • O.kee

Well, I was born in the 80s..., so I didn't exactly miss out on it >_0 However, I do get your point quite well. πŸ˜€
        (When I meant "coming over", I meant an actual visual kei store though. ^__^ )

October 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
      • Brinkley

H-naoto is over here now!

October 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Kai

Totally Agree. Ladies why are you trying so hard to look like children? No self respecting woman would be seen in this gear.

October 21, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
      • Brinkley

Please look at the image at the top. Do those women look like little girls to you? I really doubt it. I've never met a child who could stand to be in something so intricate. Kids run around and get messy–so kids don't wear lace and fine fabrics.

October 21, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
      • cat78

I DID look at the picture.... and YES, they look like girls, or at least like they are trying to look like girls.

October 21, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
      • K

You're just mad because you don't have the balls to move beyond your t-shirt and jeans wardrobe. I get if you don't like it but you don't need to insult those of us who like to wear it.

October 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
      • JG

No woman with any self respect would feel so inclined to attack and belittle other women. It's not like they're scantily clad, so you can't hate on them for lack of modesty. Sounds to me more like jealousy.

October 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • palintwit

I was thinking about the 1962 film "Lolita" which I believe was directed by Stanley Kubrick. And you are right about the jail-bait reference.

October 21, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • unknown11

I remember the 80's , well with a few missing pieces, quite well. And I got the reference. And he is right.

October 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • abrous

Typical American mentality, unable to see beyond the borders of the pacific, atlantic or canadian line... the Lolita reference can mean different things in different cultures... Expand your mind, get out of your little USA hole... we represent only 4.5% of the total world population, yet think that U.S. Culture(i use the word lightly) and morals are the primary ones.

October 21, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
      • K

I love you for this comment.

October 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
      • NorCalMojo

drama queen

October 21, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
      • jillybean

Hahahah so true.

October 21, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  64. Kerry

Newsworthy?

October 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  65. nicoleandmaggie

goth goth loli loli

October 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • TehNeko

Yay. Wallflower reference. Kudos.

October 21, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  66. O.kee

So what's next to come over the Pacific Ocean? Visual kei? o___o

October 21, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Gigi

*psst* thats already here....

October 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Flora

I hope to God it does!! First time I see one of my favorite VK bands on TV, I'm throwing a party!

October 23, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  67. Data1000

It's a nice break from the standard American uniform of blue jeens and a T-shirt.

October 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • nostradoofus

I don't know. I think I prefer the little catholic schoolgirl outfit.

October 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • K

Exactly!

October 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  68. Cedar Rapids

To me it looks a lot like the sort of outfit you would use as a base before you started adding your favourite steam punk stuff to.

October 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Brinkley

Steampunk lolita exists, for sure!

October 21, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

There were a lot of Steampunk Lolitas at Comic-Con this year. I thought they looked charming.

October 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • Gigi

I love Steampunk Lolita! πŸ™‚

October 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  69. K

I'm a Lolita and I love it.

October 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Kai

At least I don't have to worry about you taking any of the good jobs...Spenser's gifts at the mall will hire you though,

October 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
      • K

First of all, it's spelled Spencer's. Second of all, I have a fantastic job and Lolita is just a hobby of mine. I pity you small-minded people.

October 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
      • Brinkley

Many lolitas work in prestigious industries or in academia. Also, as with many less-practical fashions, lolita isn't usually worn in the workplace.

October 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
      • Wolfie

I have a Master's degree and am a librarian at a college. Where I occasionally wear lolita to work and my bosses and the students are totally cool with it. It's not the 50's any more, bro.

October 22, 2011 at 12:36 am |
      • Raelythe

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Biology and I work in a medical laboratory inside a hospital performing complex medical testing. I dress in Lolita in my spare time. Sorry I took one of those "good jobs", but I'm sure you wouldn't be anywhere near qualified to work where I do. Or, maybe you would, I don't know. Whether someone does or does not partake in a fashion style has nothing to do with the employability or professionalism in a workplace environment.

October 22, 2011 at 12:50 am |
      • Hazel

I'm a 27-year old archaeologist with her master's degree, so I would have to disagree with you, at the very least. I can't even understand what would bring you to this conclusion.

October 22, 2011 at 11:46 am |
  70. Flora

Nice to see otaku stuff in the news once in a while. Just about all of my female friends can't get enough of their Gothic Lolita – one of them wears her homemade outfits out of the house as many times as she can get away with. While I myself would never wear this (too much of a tomboy), I appreciate the look and take it as a sign of kinship that we're both into the eccentric side of life.

October 21, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

I'm with you, Flora. If everyone dressed the same all the time, that would be boring. I find this sort of fashion too complex for my taste and wouldn't wear it, but I admire people who are bold enough to wear elaborate styles. It makes life so much more interesting.

October 21, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Kyoko

this. I love the fashion and wear it as much as I can. It makes me happy that someone appreciates the work that goes into it. Pulling off lolita takes a good deal of confidence and dedication in my opinion anyway. Dedication cuz it takes me twice as long as normal to get ready in lolita as "normal" clothing and it costs soo much.

October 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  71. ziegfeldf

"light of my life, fire of my loins"

October 21, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Iceman

β€œI’ll put off reading Lolita for six more years until she turns 18.”
      ― Groucho Marx

October 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  72. QuiltingQuest

October 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  73. Alice

Wonderful article, CNN! For a community that frequently suffers from so-called "journalism" regarding our fashion and lifestyles, this article, both well-researched and un-biased is a breath of fresh air.

October 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  74. Brinkley

And yet another reason CNN is one of my go-to news sources. Even their leisure/entertainment pieces are well written and well-researched. Thank you!

October 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  75. dakuro

Cool, I want a lolita girlfriend (?) i guess that is gonna be pretty unfamiliar to watch girls dressed like this on the street, for me is a nice small show that you can appreciate on the street like to be in akihabara or shibuya.

October 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  76. mizh

how bloody ridiculous.

October 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • palintwit

***LIKE***

October 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • Raelythe

It actually can be pretty bloody. There's a substyle of Lolita called Guro Lolita, i.e. grotesque Lolita where wounds and bloodied dresses are welcome.

October 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
      • Trollgar Gur

**LIKE** Lolz

October 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  77. Anne

I LOVE Lolita fashion, but unfortunately I'm about 30 years too old to wear it. I'll just admire from afar.

October 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Mee too

I agree, Anne! I am a bit too old for this, but just love the look. I live in San Francisco and checked out the clothes in the Baby the Stars Shine Bright boutique at New People–they are surprisingly well-made. If teens and twentysomethings are into this to distinquish themselves from the Katy Perry fray, more power to them.

October 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
      • Alicia

Actually Katy Perry wears many lolita-inspired clothes, and even wore a brand name lolita dress in a photoshoot. She's perfect as one of those lolitas who just wants to have fun wearing the clothes, not adopt a new lifestyle.
        Also, I agree with Karla. Aristocrat and classic are perfect for more reserved ladies πŸ™‚

October 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
      • driranek

Even as a male who recently endured a (early onset) mid-life crisis, I don't see why age would be a barrier. If my woman, who isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore, wore one of those I would promptly commence to research how the thing comes off...

October 21, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • Karla

I am a lolita and I have friends 30 & over who dress it =D there are many styles that make you look sophisticated & elegant, instead of child-or-doll like. Maybe you should try classic lolita or elegant gothic aristocrat =D

October 21, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
      • deecee

I could be wrong, but "Lolita" does not strike the impression of "sophisticated & elegant", just the opposite. The looks may seem conservative, the connotation surely is not.

October 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
      • Elyse

Was pretty much going to say this. Don't let the name fool you, there are a handful of people in the lolita community who are in their 30s, 40s and 50s.

October 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Gigi

Considering I know women well into their 50's that adore wearing this fashion you are really not too old for anything. You just need to stick to more classic, clean lines and solid colors rather then the neon pastels that are popular in sweet prints.

October 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • La Vie Classique

There is no such thing as too old! There are many other styles and a lot of range to this style. If you are worried about an outfit being too over the top to feel appropriate for your age, there are many ways around that.

October 22, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  78. Binky42

Way to be 10 years late with this article.

October 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  79. unknown11

This is not fashion, this is costume. This is not what you wear to live in, or to party in. It is just another manifestation of some people's need to be 'different'. It is just 'hey look at me, I want to be the center of attention. LOOK AT ME.. LOOK AT ME'

October 21, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • indigo_tide

You are sadly mistaken. And personally I prefer it when people aren't so rude as to openly stare and gawk, and instead politely ask questions or at least smile.

October 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • jlv

And this post is just a manifestation of your need for everyone to be the same. To quote Monty Python "Stop repressing me!"

October 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • Raelythe

Actually, there are girls that dress in Lolita every day. To work(Yes, professional work), to go shopping, to party, or just because they can.

October 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • Brinkley

Even if it was a costume, why couldn't she wear it "to live in" or "to party in?"

October 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Alice

I agree with all other comments– you are grossly mistaken. Lolita is an inspiration as a lifestyle for many girls, to esteem to live gracefully, elegantly through both clothing, mentality and day-to-day living.

Personally, I wear lolita because it makes me happy, but I do feel self-conscious in public, and would prefer it if no one looked at me strangely and took pictures. This is true for many lolitas.

October 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
      • K

This comment makes me happy.

October 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Uhhh...

Yeah. Because fashion is normally a way to escape notice, right?

October 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • slightly

Wrong. If it was a costume, by definition we would be pretending to be someone else. When wearing lollita, we are being truest to that part of ourselves that is feminine and elegant. You are confusing a fashion style with cosplay. Do your research.

October 21, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • driranek

As attention seeking techniques go, I'd greatly prefer my daughter used this rather than piercings and tattoos...

October 21, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
      • Brinkley

HUZZAH.

Though there are plenty of pierced and tatooed women who wear lolita.

October 21, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Gigi

By that logic even 'jeans and tshirt' is a costume that screams "look at me! i can conform!"

October 21, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Kyoko

honestly you are wrong, I wear Lolita all the time and am active in the local community. But I HATE being the center of attention. honestly I just wear it because it is beautiful and refined. If you can't appreciate the effort and money (because it's not cheap) then that's your problem. It takes a lot of confidence to wear lolita especially when close minded people like you make comments like that.

October 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
    • Mir

Actually, there is a huge range to this style. There are more muted outfits that fit into the Lolita fashion aesthetic, and plenty of people wear this or even more over the top outfits every single day, and yes, even to parties. Way to believe you can decide how it is appropriate for everyone else to dress and behave.

October 22, 2011 at 11:42 am |
  80. Jason

I was taking a look through a 1940s college yearbook the other day and it was quite apparent that there is a fair degree of prestige and modesty that is lost in modern fashion. The college aged kids in this relic looked more professional than most of the middle aged folks that work in my office. While I don't expect to see a sizable portion of the american public wearing victorian style dresses any time soon, a subtle influence from this kind into mainstream fashion would go a long way. I'm tired of the black on black modern business attire older women wear and the bimbo clothes college aged women sport.

October 21, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  81. June

Kudos to this article for using a picture of RinRin. What a beautiful and cute lolita–she really knows how to put together coordinates.

October 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
  82. Raelythe

I love wearing Lolita fashion. It makes me feel so feminine and beautiful without having to put my personal "assets" on display. I also would like to thank you for such a well-written article on Lolita fashion that doesn't categorize it as cosplay and other things that it is not.

October 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  83. Rozemaiden

I firstly would like to thank the author for a very insightful article that was well-researched and unbiased. I am going to share this article on my Lolita blog, so that others can see it as well. ^_^

As for those who don't understand this fashion or find it silly, good for you. No one is forcing you to like it or wear it. But we all have different tastes and different concepts of beauty, so there's no need to be rude or slander it. That's just immature and childish.

Personally, I wear Lolita fashion because I enjoy a sense of fantasy and old-fashioned charm. I like the feeling of lace against my skin and ruffles make me happy. I've always been a modest person, and this fashion gives me that plus the ability to be elegant and beautiful at the same time. I don't think it makes me look like a little girl and I certainly don't wear it to attract the attention of some weirdos. We Lolitas dress this way because it makes US feel good about ourselves. If we actually gave a hoot what other people thought about us, we'd be hiding in skinny jeans and tank tops.

I think wearing a fashion like this because you like it and braving the reactions of ignorant and rude people is a very admirable and courageous thing.

October 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Mir

This is one of the best and most appropriate comments on this article!

October 22, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  84. TIfasohma

I love dressing in lolita, particularly gothic lolita, but seriously, all of them are awesome.

October 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  85. Kat

Beautiful! a wonderful article!

October 21, 2011 at 11:58 am |
  86. driranek

In the exceedingly unlikely event I were to date either of the women in the photos, I'd hope that the outfit came with either an instruction manual or a couple assistants....

October 21, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • Brinkley

Don't worry–she knows how to take it off and will help you. πŸ˜‰
      But, truthfully, most lolitas take off a few layers or put on something a little bit more casual styled when they get home to relax–it's more practical, and it preserves the clothing for longer.

October 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Chris

Seriously? There's a zipper in the back or side. Lolita is typically less complicated than dressing or undressing for an authentic 18th century garb, no matter how inspired.

October 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
      • driranek

Never having actually seen one, much less had to remove one, I'd assumed that the outfits worked like an actual 18th century outfit with maybe 200 tiny buttons in unexpected places, whalebone held in place by satin ribbons, etc. That's a bummer – a zipper would sure take the challenge and shall we say 'exploratory nature' out of it...

October 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  87. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

I hope I do not see this in my town. I might hurt myself when I fall down laughing.

October 21, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Amii

ok, i'll show up just to make you fall over then.. because its totally not fair to laugh at someones own personal sense of style.. just cause its not on the red carpets, doesnt mean its not nice. you have to be open minded about stuff like this D:

October 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • clevercandi

I'm right there with you, Ralph...LOL

I also laugh at boys who wear their pants below their @sses.

October 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
      • Wow

Wearing clothing that hearkens back to a time of great elegance and refinery does not compare to wearing pants that are falling off your behind.

October 21, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Paul Ringger

If you do see them, try to resist the urge. It may be silly to you but it can mean a lot to the person choosing to do it. Not only that, give them credit for making your day more interesing than it was before you saw them.

If you laugh or giggle, you benefit. Go say something supportive to them, You'll both feel better.

Someone may not want to dress up on http://www.worldzombieday.org/ but I'm sure glad that others do. It's fun and hilarious.

October 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Chris

Don't be shocked by their reactions to you, then, for being an ass. Most will walk by with a mental snubbing. Some will say it outright. Those who are super sensitive tend to leave the fashion fast if they can't hack your mindless mockery.

October 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Leaf on the Wind

Orange Park, FL? I imagine there are very few people in your town under the age of 50, so you shouldn't worry.

October 21, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  88. Martha

I love this article. It's really difficult to find news articles on lolita fashion that don't talk about it in a snide tone, so thank you for your hard work and open-mindedness, Ms. Bennett.

One note: Pink House was never a lolita brand. It's true that this subject is often presented as being a matter of debate, and it's true that Pink House and other natural kei brands influenced the genesis of lolita style, but it's a mistake and an oversimplification to confuse the two styles.

But this is not to say I didn't enjoy your article; I hope you continue to write about street styles like this.

October 21, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  89. Sascha

This is creepy–why are adult women wanting to look like pedophile bait?

October 21, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • Ec

It is very creepy. The article doesn't mention the fact that these women are trying to look like children. They are bound to attract disgusting men. It's as gross to me as little girls dressing like women in those fashion shows.

October 21, 2011 at 11:54 am |
      • Louise

The reason it doesn't mention that is because we are not trying to look like children.
        And as for attracting the attention of creepy men? There will always be people who have fetishes for all sorts of things, and yes, some people might have a fetish for this type of clothing. Just like people have fetishes for high heels, stocking, red hair, glasses and so on. But that hasn't stopped people from having those things, so why I don't see any reason why it should stop lolitas from dressing in a way that makes us happy.

October 21, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
      • June

I hope you will refer to my other comment below, it applies very well to what you said as well.

October 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
      • Chris

Wrong. I'm a 25 year old Asian-American and some times lolita, and my biggest pet peeve is being mistaken for a younger age. If I hate being called a child, why would I want to look like one? Probably because there are many styles of lolita fashion and I wear ones that don't severely age down.

Pedophiles only target REAL children and "disgusting men" are going to be disgusting to women no matter what they are wearing. But still, congrats on your victim blaming. I'm sure it helps plenty of real victims of child predators every day.

October 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Amanda

It's not about being "pedophile bait"! It's about innocence, youth and modesty! Plus the clothes are really pretty.

October 21, 2011 at 11:57 am |
      • NorCalMojo

If you don't like the assumptions, it's time to think of a new name.

October 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
      • ah no

yes because only America and Europe count for what words mean /sarcasm .

October 22, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • June

Not all lolitas look young. There are also much more mature styles of lolita and it really just depends on one's styling preferences. For example wearing less cutesy motifs like bows and over the top frills, wearing panty hose instead of socks and tights, wearing higher heels... Also it's their decision what to wear; just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people feel the same way. Another huge facet of the style is about rebelling against mainstream fashion, so if you feel it's too far removed from what people are "supposed" to wear, then lolita has done its job.

October 21, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • HerpDerp

To clarify, pedophiles are into children. Not into women who dress like children. If they were into women who dressed like children they wouldn't be pedophiles.

October 21, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
      • Chris

I'm seconding this. I was a vicitm of a child predator in my plain clothes and when I was actually a child; never in my lolita clothes as an adult. Calling lolita "pedophile bait" is another example of ignorance and gross victim blaming.

October 21, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
      • NorCalMojo

Then they should think of a new name. "Lolita" is literary reference and synonymous with jail-bait.

October 21, 2011 at 4:01 pm |

I been trying to get that across but its falling on deaf ears

October 22, 2011 at 11:08 am |
      • Chris

@NorCal It's been attempted many times already, but it's hard to reverse a term for an international fashion when it's had that name for nearly twenty years.

October 22, 2011 at 11:41 am |
    • Gigi

*psst* actually read the article instead of the headline...

October 21, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
      • Mir

Yes! What Gigi said.

October 22, 2011 at 11:31 am |
    • again

it is not about being a child its about feeling pretty and wearing something i want to wear

and 2 a pedophile wouldnt care if a child was wearing jeans and a t shirt or a tank top and a skirt as long as its a child (not an adult even if that adult is wearing a giant diaper) they dont want an adult to pretend to be a child thats not what turns them on

Just because my dress or skirt is longer and wider then is socially the norm does not mean I'll looking to attract disgusting men

October 22, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  90. Obscuria Gothic Shop

This trend has been going for a while, yet hasn't really caught on in the states yet. It's a pretty fascinating fashion, especially when blended with Gothic elements.

October 21, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • deecee

Fascinating...Maybe, so is whips and chains and those goes well with Gothic as well.

October 21, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  91. Mary

@Palinwit, seriously? A single lolita dress costs between $100-600, rare prints can go for even more. How is that "trailer park white trash" material? And bringing Palin into the discussion? Good God, you sure do sound intelligent.

October 21, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • palintwit

Thank you Mary. I'm always happy to add an intelligent comment or two to these discussions.

October 21, 2011 at 11:28 am |
    • Sweets

Amen to that. Your comments betray you as nothing but an ignorant troll, PalinTwit.
      Lolita is a prestige fashion, just like dressing in couture (designer) clothing is, and frankly, there's nothing trailer park trash about it. The lolita fashion upholds the values of femininity, grace, and classical elegance, while creating a certain air of exclusivity about it. Most lolita fashion houses and designers produce well-made garments in very limited production runs to ensure that very high quality is maintained, and to prevent the market from being saturated with their products. These practices contrast sharply with those of places like Walmart, who mass-manufacture cheap, poorly made clothing of questionable taste and quality.

October 21, 2011 at 11:38 am |
    • Blasphemina

Don't feed the troll, dear. We all know they are trying to get a rise out of us proper ladies. Ignore it and it'll go away.

Well done, CNN. As someone who has been in this scene for almost 12 years, I appreciate a well researched and respectful article with no trace or cynicism. Kudos ❀

October 21, 2011 at 11:46 am |
  92. Louise

Apart from a few minor inaccuracies, this is a very nice article, one of the most well researched that I've read about this fashion which I love so dearly. Good job!

October 21, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • Mir

I agree! Great job!

October 22, 2011 at 11:28 am |
  93. r

If someone owns the marketing rights for the name "Lolita" I sure hope they sue. Calling this crap Lolita anything is ridiculous.

October 21, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • Wolfie

You're saying that calling the clothing "lolita" is ridiculous? What then, do you feel is the meaning of the word "lolita" that makes it so inappropriate to the clothing?

October 21, 2011 at 11:04 am |
    • Chris

You can't. Lolita is an actual name for girls as well as the book and the fashion. Nice to see your own shining brilliance, sir.

October 21, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
      • cat78

I believe Chanel, Gucci, and Tiffany are actual names too, but if you think someone can't legally enforce the trademark and marketing use of those names you are sadly mistaken. And do you really think you proved something by looking up the definition of "tuffet"?
        As for the name "Lolita", it carries certain connotations of youthful seductiveness – and if you object to this clothing style being thought of in that way, perhaps you should campaign to change the name.

October 21, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Uhhh...

That would be kind of like owning the rights to the name "Jenny" or "Abbie." Lolita is a diminutive form of the female name Dolores.
      Now if you'll forgive me, I have to go to a court hearing so I can assert my rights on the names "Bob" and "Pete."

October 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Sami

I have friends whose first names are Lolita, would you object to that? I think it's a cute name.

October 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Mir

The name is decades old and trust me, if we could change it at this point a lot of us would. It sucks being associated with something the fashion has nothing to do with.

October 22, 2011 at 11:27 am |
  94. ru serious

Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep...or Little Miss Muffet sat on her Tuffet (what the heck is a "tuffet" anyway???) eating her curds of whey. These people look demented in their crazy frocks. Must be kind of hot in there, with all that layering going on.

October 21, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • Lol

It can get hot, but that is a blessing in the winter.

If you dont know what a tuffet is, you need serious help. Its nursery rhyme, not that hard to understand.

October 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Chris

Tuffet: noun. 1. a tuft or clump of grass or 2. a footstool or low seat.

Considering that I'm one of these people you call demented, I have at least the superior resourcefulness to look into a dictornary or, even more simply, be able to figure out what a "tuffet" is by the illustrations fed to me with that rhyme since I was 2.

Seriously, can't you people come up with something more clever than "pedobait" and nursery rhyme insults? It's boorish.

October 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  95. Sora

The English Gothic and Lolita Bible was not bi-weekly in the least. It was quarterly.

October 21, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • belvs

Thanks for the heads up, Sora - we've made that correction! I *wish* it had been bi-weekly...

October 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  96. Tom

Pretty girls wearing pretty clothing. Honestly, what's not to like here?

October 21, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • deecee

Maybe it takes a bit more brain juxtaposition to adopt of the notion of Asian girls in Victorian style European style clothing in modern days, it's like seeing a Victorian China doll on the street, outside of display case, it has some jarring effects, and entertaining? Maybe. Attractive? Not always.
      I guess it would be probably appealing to the comic book crowd, especially those who didn't grow out of comic books as adults.

October 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
      • Kai

You nailed it. It will attract freaks and geeks.

October 21, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
      • JG

Kai, You really have some anger towards people who decide to dress the way they want. Freaks and geeks... really? So what in your hateful opinion, is the limited appropriate way to conform (i mean dress) in our society? Please send links as to what are the only uninventive/boring things you find acceptable.

October 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
      • Truth

Too bad it will attract just freaks and geeks but yea I seen a similar group of freaks while hurrying in for a espresso refill. It will end up being an eye sore.

October 21, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
      • Mir

I agree with JG above. You have no idea what you're talking about. This fashion has been going on for decades and very obviously does not only attract 'freaks and geeks'

October 22, 2011 at 11:24 am |
  97. indigo_tide

Thank you for responsible, thorough journalism! I am proud to be part of this niche (although only occasionally), and especially glad CNN is so on-point with this article.

October 21, 2011 at 9:51 am |
  98. mary

I like how accurate this article is! It's obvious you spent alot of time researching this fashion, and I'm happy you took the time to mention PinkHouse and Milk. For me, at least, lolita, is saying,"I'm proud to be a girl! I'm proud about enjoying girlish and feminine things, and I don't consider it "weak" or "demeaning!" XD I couldn't find a name, but for whoever wrote this article, keep up the good work!

October 21, 2011 at 9:44 am |
    • La Vie Classique

I agree!

October 22, 2011 at 11:23 am |
    • I agree

me too it seemed like actual thought and research went into this article and they actually wanted to understand what they we writing about

October 22, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  99. palintwit

This crap looks like something the Palins would wear. They should call it "Fashion for Trailer Park White Trash".

October 21, 2011 at 9:32 am |
    • HerpDerp

Trailer park white trash couldn't afford $200 dresses. These ladies put a lot of work into their outfits. The clothing is really pretty and isn't cheap at all.

October 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
      • Kit

Your figures are a little low, I think? Last dress I got from Innocent World was around $375 before shipping. I took a quick peek at AP USA and they are averaging $350 for a dress. :3

November 5, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Brinkley

What the heck does lolita have to do with the Palin family? I'm not a big fan of the clan either, but I don't feel the need to turn any internet discussion into a nonsensical bash session.

October 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Skoots

I think what palinwit means is that because lolita looks conservative, it must have something to do with the Palin family since they are also conservative? But since palinwit also makes a connection with lolita and white trash, he or she obviously has no idea what's going on. If I were white trash I wouldn't be able to spend hundreds of dollars on an outfit I'll likely only wear once or twice.

October 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Uhhh...

I'm pretty sure you can't hunt moose dressed like this.

October 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
      • Brinkley

A hunting lolita... hmm. Punkma, anyone? http://www.metamorphose.gr.jp/english/gallery/customers/austria/suzy/leopoldmuseum044.jpg

October 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
      • Aften

I can ride a motorcycle in my Lolita. I'm sure you can hunt in a more un-rippable outfit. And Palin? Please don't associate couture with that piece of brainless-office-barbie copycat ^_^ thanks!

October 22, 2011 at 12:19 am |
    • Chris

Yes, I'm sure tea length versions of Victorian wear price at $300 a dress is all the rage in the trailer parks.

October 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Rob's friend

Are you the REAL Sarah Palin????!!!

October 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm |