Why geek girls are the new hot commodity
"Geek Girls Unite" author (and cupcake fan) Leslie Simon examines the tribes of geek girls and the power they hold.
October 13th, 2011

Why geek girls are the new hot commodity

Being a geek meant getting used to being shunned socially, being your own best friend. It didn't always feel good, but at least we got to read our favorite books and comics, play our favorite games, and find our own worlds to belong in.

Now, suddenly, there's a very different movement happening.

Geek girls are in demand.

If you had told us back in those oh-so-awkward school days that we ever had hope of not only getting asked out on a date, but being asked out on so many that we had our pick of the litter, we would have scowled down the tips of our noses and pushed up our glasses to hide our frustration.

If you're trying to tell us not only this, but that we also have a chance to even be idolized, looked up to for our extensive knowledge of "Star Wars" lore or tabletop gaming expertise, well ... you can see why we might think you're out of your mind, right?

Leslie Simon knows.

In her new book, Geek Girls Unite, she outlines the rise of nerd culture and even kindly outlines all the different types of fangirls there are in the world. I learned that I didn't fit into just one category, but was a hybrid of fangirl, literary, film and music geek, in fact! She had some great thoughts to share about how the culture all started, and even believes that the internet was the single greatest gift that geekdom could have wished for.

"As long as there have been outsides, there must have been geeks," Simon said. "Modems have played matchmaker to millions of unique peeps who previously felt like they had no one to relate to within their area/zip code. So what if there aren't any fellow riot grrrls at your high school? Big deal that your boss at the coffee shop doesn't understand why you have to ask for every Wednesday night off so you can attend your improv class at Second City? Your future besties are just a click away!"

The magical key, as Simon put it, was accessibility.

"Once the internet made anything– and anyone– accessible, the whole idea of coolness changed."

When you put it like that, it sounds like coolness is defined by the people in the group you find and how much of your interests can be shared with them. In such settings, great enthusiasm is generated, which is hard to ignore. Maybe people don't directly understand what it is about the new "Doctor Who" that's so great (although they'd have to be blind not to see Matt Smith's blazing hotness), but they can feel the joy you have for it. Excitement that strong only amplifies once you find your tribe who shares the same sentiments.

Speaking of expression, there is a right and wrong way to go about it in the nerd world, and they are often portrayed as not knowing where the line is.

"That's a toughie," Leslie said when the topic came up. "Social skills bring up a whole argument about nature vs. nurture. How a geek girl is able to communicate with her peers might be best pinned to how comfortable she feels in her own skin, especially when talking about her area of geek expertise. If she's surrounded by people who don't understand her world, then she'll shut up tighter than a clam. However, if our she-geek is among kindred spirits who understand her quirks and quips, then I think she can schmooze with the best of them."

So what if the geek girl finds her tribe, gets her groove going, and is able to fully bloom? Well, we've already seen the results. Geek girl celebs such as Olivia Munn and Felicia Day have become idols to girls everywhere, not to mention becoming pin-ups for the geek guys of the world. But at that point, are these girls being objectified?

"It really comes down to the age old question - Can girls be objectified when they're the ones putting themselves on display?" Simon said. "I'm not so sure. I think if they have the geeky goods to back it up, then more power to 'em. Who am I to judge?"

As far as the many words out there to describe what geeks are, Simon goes a long way to revealing each species in Geek Girls Unite, explaining words such as geek, nerd, dork, dweeb and weirdo.

"The definitions were a combination of outside opinion and my own personal observation. I have a black belt in people watching! See, it's really hard to make broad stroke generalizations about any group of people, especially when said generalizations are going to be immortalized in print. That's why I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page when I threw around terms like this, because these words mean different things to different people. One girl's dork is another girl's geek!"

Perhaps, regardless of definition, we are seeing a new age where being a female geek doesn't mean we are the outcasts anymore. In fact, we're cool. Maybe it's the internet, or maybe it's just way past time for us to get some recognition for how awesome we are for all the knowledge we keep up here in the rolodex we call a brain. And that means we have to stop assuming that we will be the outcast and start realizing that finally, it's our time to stand in the limelight.

"Eleanor Roosevelt once said that no one can make you feel inferior without your consent,"Simon said about the female nerd's new popularity. "When you're young, being different isn't seen as a positive thing. It's something that you're made to feel ashamed of and often try to cover up - or at least that's what I did when I was a lowly teen geek."

"Just like a fine wine or an old Motorhead t-shirt, geeks get better with age. Trust in that."

1. Buy Neopets

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I've truly enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I'll be subscribing in your feed and I'm hoping you write again very soon!

January 16, 2013 at 1:40 am |
  2. Commodities dry bulk

A fairly easy explanation around the currency markets. This information provides you with a fairly easy justification on the stocks and shares in the stock exchange using bubble periodontal. Simple a child can discover this.Commodities

February 4, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  3. Stock trading tips

Hey Good blog, nice information , thanks for sharing, want to read more from you. , thanks, see u soon.

December 5, 2011 at 2:56 am |
  4. Hard Talk

Geeks are doomed socially because of their many social problems. I work in IT and have known so many "nerds" and "geeks" that I would prefer never to talk to one again. They almost always have an unfounded superiority complex. They hate people who have the audacity to have social skills. They're incredibly immature, emotionally stunted, terrible at hygiene and health. They shun physical exercise and avoid eating anything unprocessed or not covered in cheese. The males play the nice guy card and then hate the women who don't date them, the women are emotionally broken and cannot handle the attention they get from the males. Ever been around a group of geeks with even one female? Constant, unending, unbearable drama. Six of the guys love the girl, the girl is dating one or two of the guys, they all hate each other, somebody is deleting somebody else's WoW account. It's horrible.

November 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Freakin'Geek

Nail, meet hammer.

November 9, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Meg

Yikes. It sounds like maybe you're hanging around with high school kids, not adults.

November 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Tom

Don't be mad because smart people make more money.

November 10, 2011 at 9:58 am |
      • HardTalk

Yeah, Tom, I imagine your Gamestop checks are really making all those guys who dated girls in high school jealous. You are aware that there are many, many, many guys and girls who like nerdy things that aren't socially stunted losers, right? You were shunned because you were awkward and nobody liked your personality, it wasn't because you liked Star Wars. Sorry you had to find out this way, junior.

November 10, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  5. Lisette

This is article is sooooo wrong!!! Olivia Munn is a geek. Me and all the other geekettes at my school are totally hot for Fatty Arbuckle.

November 7, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  6. TrulyGeekyHaley

This kid geeks out on books, The Legend of Zelda game series, Star Wars, Mario(Old school and new), and Pokemon(TCG and video games). It was always hard to be accepted, I was always more care-free than everyone else. The biggest thing is accepting your many quirks and finding someone who will accept them to. I would love to find someone who can veg out on Legend of Zelda and a bag of Hot Fries and a Dr. Pepper or Rockstar energy drink. Come on guys. I also watch football and make Buffalo Wings and pizza! Pick Me!🙂

November 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Tom

I'm very into Zelda and star wars. I remember being partially shunned as not one of the cool kids in school. Now I look at the cool kids from then on facebook. Wow, did I really turn out better.

November 10, 2011 at 10:00 am |
  7. NoDoubt

I'm a 35 year old female, and it is VERY difficult to find other women interested in the same kind of things I am. I'm more of a literary geek than a gamer, but I'm single and have no kids. That alone makes me an anomaly. The last boyfriend I had was kind of a red-neck, and didn't understand why I liked books in the first place. Now I'm with someone that admires me for being different. I don't know that we're exactly POPULAR now, but I would offer the advice of never hang around anyone who makes you feel bad for being yourself.

November 4, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  8. Frank

I dated a few Geek Girls in school. It was cool being with a girl who was into games and tech stuff but one thing I noticed about these girls which I guess is true for many geek guys – bad hygene! At some point that smelly V becomes a real issue. I ended up marrying a non-geek girl who is fresh and clean as a whistle!

October 31, 2011 at 9:15 am |
    • Julie

lol....gross.

November 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  9. bluemoondrop

I guess I did the whole geek thing (isn't a geek someone who geeks out on one/two things, and a nerd is just generally more analytical about all sorts of subjects?). Huge into Star Wars as a kid, moved on to Star Trek (it gets pretty deep, mann), and I've never met a guy who is like OMG U LIKE TEH STARWARS?! But, I'm better than ok at FPS. If I mention that I’m gonna veg out on some zombies, I'm a goddess. Gamer girls are always in demand, decent-playing gamer girls are adored (you suck so bad, the girl in our squad beat you).

October 27, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
    • boomshanka

you sound like a lot of fun

November 9, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  10. Christine

I am a Geek Girl and I have no problem with it. I work in the Engineering department in my company. I am not fat or ugly. I did have coca cola glasses when I was younger but I still had cute boyfriends. I work with all men and most of the time my co-workers breeze by the men and come to me because they say that I am "more personable". Geek girls are not fake! There is nothing fake about me or shallow!

October 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Theodore Hahn

I Christine, I would like to date a geek girl my age or younger, I am 48, What is the best way to do this
      Warmly TJ

February 4, 2013 at 12:32 am |
  11. Aggieraz

Are ya'll getting GEEKY confused with Intellectual/Smart with regards to women ? They are two complete different things ... I know plenty of non geeky women in my sector (engineering) who are very very intelligent while I have simultaneously meet many females that are otherwise not very intelligent but can be classified geeky since they play Halo+WOW+read vampire romance novels etc.

October 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Aggieraz

in addition to my last comment ... I find intelligent/Smart a lot more appealing than Geeky (I dont find Geeky very appealing at all ... it has a very negative connotation to me)

October 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm |

I agree completely. My girlfirend is brilliant, but not a social reject. I like.

October 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
  12. Dani

Ok I have to say I am probably the oldest here. 50+ and I still play WOW. No one believes I am a grandmother. LOL. But I am proud to be a Geek. I revile in it! I go to DEFCON, got my CISSP and now I get PAID for it! Been married to a some what Geek for 25 years. (he doesn't do it for living but still understands most of it.) I do have some issues with managers who think because I am a older woman I can't do the job. But I have proven them wrong each time.

October 25, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • ravx25

"I revile in it! I"

I think you meant revel. Umm yeah.

October 26, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  13. Nadine

Geeky girls are an extinct species. You would have found them in 1960's and earlier times. They were genetically geeky, very studious,i innocent virgins, intellectuals, conservative, and adorned with thick cocacola glasses most of the time. Today, so called girl geeks are mostly fake , shallow and have slept around.

October 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • oliver

Intellectual and conservative

These are incompatible, you can't be both intellectual and anti-science.

October 25, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
      • NocTech

Conservative does NOT equal anti-science moron.

October 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • David

And her sleeping around, in and of itself, is bad?!?

October 26, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
      • Sparky

If you don't restrict yourself to humans or the living, it can be. Depends on the person.

November 7, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • Well

You're using a different definition of geeky - one from the time period you cite. Some of the smartest girls I know are also the wildest. Different times, my friend.

October 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
  14. elle

too many of these so called geek girls are just wannabes, because being "geeky" is "in." That's okay, because tehy'll end up with guys who are also only into it for the "in. " factor.

October 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  15. Skitty

Being of the Geek Girl comunity, I must that we have always been in demand since we are such a small percent of the female population. When talking about Geek Girls in the media please let us also consider Morgan Webb and Blair Butler from G4. They are more natural geeks since the have actually played the games and read the comic books. I love The Guild a ton since I can relate, but it is a show with actors and a production budget (as small as it might be).

October 25, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Uhhh...

Felicia Day is the real thing. Yes, The Guild is a "show," but she created and writes it. Follow her on Twitter or G+ for a bit, or talk to her at a convention, and in pretty short order it becomes apparent that she really is into many geeky pursuits. She's read the books, played the games, and all that sort of thing. The only difference between her and most geeks is she isn't just consuming content, she's generating it too.

November 2, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  16. Chris

Darn, all that space spent on Olivia Munn could have been spent talking about Kari Byron. Now *there's* a geek girl.

October 23, 2011 at 9:52 am |
  17. SciFiChickie

this "geek girl" did not like the line

"Maybe people don't directly understand what it is about the new "Doctor Who" that's so great (although they'd have to be blind not to see Matt Smith's blazing hotness)," I DISAGREE Matt Smith iz an ugly f–kr when compaired to David Tennant's superior physique

October 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • Kiki22

THANK YOU!!!! That was my thought exactly when I read it. I tried to catch up on Doctor Who on my DVR recently and just couldn't make it through the first couple episodes I watched. I miss David Tennant sorely. Matt Smith is repulsive!

October 29, 2011 at 8:22 am |
      • Kleineganz

While I agree David is more my type than Matt, I do not watch Doctor Who for the lead actor's looks. There have been 11 Doctors to date and most would not be classified as "hotties." The reason the show has been around since 1963 is the excellent stories, not the eye candy.

November 3, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Precursor

I proposed to someone I'd met two hours prior based primarily on the fact that she seemed a bit geeky and a Doctor Who fan.

Geeks Girls Rule!

October 21, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  19. Cass

Always been a geek girl, ever since I preferred Star Wars action figures to Barbie dolls all the way to my current job at a comic book shop. I got treated like crap for it. No female friends b/c I was weird and no male friends b/c I'm female. I still get told I'm a man whenever I play WoW since, you know, geek girls don't exist and all. I've repeatedly had customers in my store tell me they don't bring their girls there b/c they don't date ugly geek girls ('cuz all geeks are ugly, apparently).

Meanwhile, I'm married and polyamorous and so have multiple happy relationships. Still, outside the geek crowd, no one talks to me more than a little while b/c I'm not the brainless girl. I continue to play Magic the Gathering and World of Warcraft, wear a D20 in a necklace at all times, read at least 8 comics a week, and cosplay. We are NOT in demand. Don't kid yourselves. The rest of the world still thinks a woman with a brain at all is strange, much less a nerd.

October 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • gah

i agree. we're not in demand. look at the percentage of women we have in congress when the population is 50% female. those women are always criticized for looking old, or not well dressed, or too well dressed. i wouldn't go back to high school for a million dollars (okay, well, maybe for a million – i do have thicker skin now)

October 22, 2011 at 12:08 am |
      • Siva

Hi Jennifer!I think what you're doing with Code for America is awesome. The orziangation I work for, EMBARQ, plans to host an event during Digital Capital Week in D.C. on June 15, 2010 about Online Engagement for Sustainable Urban Mobility, with a specific focus on D.C.'s transport sector. I'd love to pick your brains about who to invite and what to discuss. How can I follow up with you offline ?Thanks!Erica

May 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Cathy

I agree completely! I may be the oldest commenter on this page (Gen X - just missed Boomer gen by a few years). I, too, am married - to a geeky guy, of course.🙂 Have never seen any real sign of "geek-girl" demand - in my high school years, college years and into my 20's and 30's.

Good to know there's a possibility that things are changing for the younger generation, though!

October 22, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
      • Geek mom

I'm right there with you, age-wise, Cathy! As hard as it is for geek girls in general; try being an older woman and finding pals to discuss your interests! Next to impossible – unless you are at a gathering like Dragon*Con!

October 23, 2011 at 10:52 am |
      • erin

God I hope you're not the oldest person posting on here. Gen X goes up to people in late 20's so if you're in your 30's and you're the oldest person then CNN sure has a young audience (I'm Gen x too but 40)

October 24, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
      • erin

PS I had a geek girl site (even owned the URL at one time) over ELEVEN years ago but go figure, 11 years later now it really is "IN"..

October 24, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  20. Alex

I have always viewed myself as a geek girl and wear that badge with pride. I'm not your conventional nerd but I certainly share an obsession and love for things outside of what a normal 20-something should like, such as Battlestar Gallactica, and Doctor Who. I strongly believe that a geek girl is not someone who lacks social graces but rather holds her own and is not afraid to defy social conventions and norms. I may like Gossip Girl and shopping but that doesn't define much like my love for nerd-tastic TV, films, and literature. I have a love of learning, which most geek girls possess and it is something that I love sharing on my weekly podcast Geek Out Girls (http://vigo-tv.com/blog/category/podcast/).

October 19, 2011 at 3:40 am |
    • Leslie Simon

Woo hoo, Alex! Can't wait to check out your podcast. Sounds like my book will be right up your geeky alley.

October 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • allynom

holding her own and defending her stand sounds amazing to me ( my girl is still 10)
      that makes her a "person" no matter what is happening around her. She will survive anything if she has "I am"

November 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  21. Morgan

Okay. I'm actually conflicted about this, mostly because I think there is a limited scope for this (at least the way it's presented in the article). I don't know if I was a "girl-geek" when I was younger – no one ever said the word to me, I knew a lot about a lot of different things (I love trivia and odd facts), and I was very socially awkward and "outcast", but I was never particularly a fanatic about "typical" geeky things. I probably am more so now than then.

One thing I've noticed is that this "renaissance of girl-geeks" seems to only include women who are more or less conventionally attractive. It's perfectly okay nowadays to have a Star Wars obsession, or love playing Magic, or what-have-you if you're female – but guy geeks don't take you seriously or give you the same amount of clout *unless* you are somewhat attractive (notice that many of the celebrity female geeks, aside from Olivia Munn b/c she's a controversy in herself, are White, "girl-next-door", generally near-flawless attractive).

There's not a lot of diversity in what is an "acceptable" girl-geek...I barely ever see women of color, or women who aren't very thin. As a person who is both in those fields and knows a lot of women who are in one or the other groups that aren't as visible, it's disheartening – though I am happy some progress is being made.

October 17, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Christopher

You are correct about that, but that mostly applies on the more Hollywood like stage/idols. As for those of us who are regular, we are a lot more accepting, though once again as I stated in my own comment, I think that is because my own generation is a bit more accepting of these things, then previous ones. To be more exact, we as geek-guys are not that critical when it comes to picking a geek-girl. Though anything in regarding to beauty is still a matter of personal preference.

October 17, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
      • Morgan

I'm pretty sure I'm part of your generation, Christopher (I'm more or less, in terms of age, a Gen Y/Millennial). Maybe it's just my experience, but while generally everyone was more accepting of girl geeks, there was still a lot of segregation in terms of "cool" girl geeks vs. "uncool" girl geeks, both among males and females. This wasn't based on the diversity of actual interests, but more on looks. This is still true even today, looking at my circle of girl geek friends. It's great that there's some celebrity status for girl geeks now, but I just don't want "the image" to become a stereotype, you know?

October 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Realist

The problem is, it doesn't matter if you're talking about geeks, politicians, your co-workers, or your knitting club... The attractive people will always be the ones who are talked about, idolized, sought-after, etc. All you can do is go to the gym and at least stay fit, take care of yourself.

October 17, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
    • LEB

Not to imply that the value of a woman's worth is validated by whether or not she has a guy (VERY anti-geek girl code violation!), but my circle of friends includes a broad array "geek girls" who obviously someone found desirable, because most are happily married/committed and many have children. Since our husbands are all gamers a lot of the ladies are also into video games, but not all. I'm not, and my geekery includes Star Trek, sci fi and fiction writing, theatre, and crocheting. Some of the ladies I know are geeks via knitting, comicon enthusiasts, costume making, foodies, and all sorts of other things.

I don't think that pretty women of Hollywood "coming out" as geeks hurts girl geekdom in general... it just makes it that much more acceptable overall. If even "the beautiful people" admit that they're closeted LOTR fans or WoW players, then the interests of We Ordinary Mortals seem just a little less weird.

October 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  22. Leslie Simon

I really envy anyone who found their geeky kindred spirits early in life. For me, that wasn't the case and I can only speak from personal experience. It was only as I got older and much more secure in my quirks that I realized the "cool" person I always wanted to become wasn't that far off from the person I was. I can only imagine how much my confidence would've soared if I had figured this out 10 years earlier. That's really why I wrote the book. I wanted to give girls a heaping helping of encouragement from one fellow square peg to another.

As for Olivia Munn, I realize that she's a pretty polarizing figure in the geek world and I'm not sure if we're ever going to agree on her level of credibility. However, she's such a small part of the overall puzzle, I hope that people pick up the book and discover all sorts of other geek goddesses that might not ever get the kind of exposure Olivia has. Don't hate; congratulate!

October 16, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  23. Chris

I guess I am out of place on this conversation, but being someone from the 21st generation, being a geek/nerd no longer really makes you an outcast in high school anymore ( I am from the graduating class of 2009) So i do not think the definitions/ meanings of those words really apply anymore. Granted you may not be part of the popular circle, but more people of at least my generation and those after are becoming more accepting of it. I am an anime/video game geek since the age of 5, and I have never been really criticized for my interest by others, I even meet some cool people because of my own interest, even if they do not share them.

October 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Chris

This statement of course if based on my personal opinion.

October 14, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
      • Dane

You have no idea how fantastic I think this is. I think its great that kids have moved beyond where they were 20 years ago (class of 1997). I hope this continues. Maybe my anger is unfairly grounded in my personal past.

October 14, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
      • Chris

Well thanks, and I was wondering if anyone one else has pointed this out before hand. Though I am starting to notice there is a large gap between personal experiences from those of us are younger ( I am currently 21) and those of the older geeks and nerd. Though something else I would like to add, though more so a question, is does my statement apply to other places within my generation.

October 15, 2011 at 9:56 am |
  24. Dane

"Any woman with a geeky bone in her body knows the feeling: Watching the other girls in school be asked out on the dates or to prom, standing off to the side while people paired off in groups, waiting to be picked second-to-last in P.E. class."

So... do you really think that Olivia Munn didn't get dates in high school? Here – check out how pretty she was in her HS yearbook photo:

Ms. Munn hasn't ever wanted anything that wasn't handed to her. It's offensive to geeks everywhere that the world as somehow bought into this whole "If I say I'm a nerd it's true" thing.

October 14, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Kelli

Is being a geek based on looks, dating, popularity or interests? While I agree that Olivia Munn is very manufactured, I feel a lil weird about the sentiment that in order to be a geek a person had to be picked on or never date or something rather than just be interested in comics, video games, sci-fi, etc.... just thinking out loud I suppose

October 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
      • Dane

Hi Kelli,
        It's about having lived my teenage years as a social outcast – called "nerd" or "geek" by countless pretty / popular girls JUST LIKE Olivia Munn – or getting my ass kicked by their boyfriends.

Being a nerd or a geek became a badge of honor for me during and after those years – I was proud of the fact that I stuck to my beliefs, and was "myself" despite the obvious advantages of conforming.

But now – being a "geek" or "nerd" is somehow cool – and people like Olivia are making tons of money on the fact that they pretend to like Star Wars or video games. It's offensive.

It's like if you grown up during the civil rights movement – and then suddenly being black was fashionable, and everyone started to completely invalidate everything that you had been through – so that the people who has terrorized you could get rich at your expense.

October 14, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
      • Meg

I guess it depends on how you're defining geek. The dictionary's definition is "an unfashionable or socially inept person," which we all know Munn isn't.

But in the context of this blog post by CNN, a geek seems to be defined as someone who is an "outsider" because of her interests. And I don't think that many of us who were and still are called geeks or nerds believe that Munn has ever been or felt like an outsider in her life because of any non-mainstream interests.

Nobody's picking on Munn because she's good looking—Felicia Day and Morgan Webb are very attractive, too. But they are ACTUALLY gaming geeks. The trouble is that G4 expects us to see Munn on their channel and believe that she's a video game geek because they tell us she is, despite the fact that even she has stated that she doesn't game.

It's frustrating when you are ostracized for liking something or being a certain way as a child or young adult and then all of a sudden marketers realize you're actually a new market to make money off of (hey look! Girls don't just play with Barbies or go shopping all day!), throw a model onto a show and say "Hey look at this nerdy nerd! She's sooo dorky" with the obvious undertones of selling her to those same people who ostracized the actual geeks/nerds/dorks for their genuine geekery/nerdery/dorkery.

Not just frustrating, insulting.

October 14, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
      • Meg

YES. Exactly what Dane said.

October 14, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
      • Kelli

Maybe I was really lucky to find a group of people who had similar interests as me growing up... we called each other dorks/geeks/nerds in a loving way when we would play games, make sci-fi calculus videos, talk about the latest x-men comic, or jeer Dawn at a Buffy singalong...

I definitely could tell we didn't necessarily have all the same interests as other girls in school, but I never felt persecuted for it... I wish you guys could have been my friends.😦

Anyway, I'm not a fan of being pandered to or patronized either.. I much prefer an authentic person, like Felicia Day, to Oliva Munn. I just wanted to learn how others interpret the meaning of "geek" nowadays🙂

October 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Mary

Looks has nothing to do with being an outcast. I was deemed "cute" in high school, but I was socially awkward, dressed poorly, and was an overachieving nut (being the only girl in AP Physics didn't help). I couldn't get a date to save my life.

But of course, none of that matters now. A decade later, I'm apparently a hot commodity because I take of my appearance more, and I'm a video game-playing engineer who has social skills. How the times have changed🙂

October 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  25. Kelli

As a girl running a geek website (wearthecheese.com), I have come into contact with a ton more geek girls than I knew existed! It is really awesome that now we are being more accepted into the geek culture🙂

October 14, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  26. Meg

Felicia Day is actually a geek. She games, reads comics, was a math major, etc.

Olivia Munn is a very attractive woman who was cast because of her attractiveness to talk about video games on a TV channel that geeks - mainly guys - watch. That does not make her a geek, that makes her the modern-day equivalent of the girl who all of the actual geek girls were shunned by back in middle school.

October 13, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  27. Dane

Just because they're cast as geeks, doesn't make them *actual* geeks.

October 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  28. KajinPL

I always been attracted to girls with some "geek" about them. You never know what you're missing.

October 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  29. KIala

Olivia Munn? Really?

October 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Angela

Yeah...Olivia Munn has "become an idol to girls everywhere?" Is that... true?

October 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
      • Mijan

Not to any of the geek girls I know. To be honest, we see her as a bit of a sleeze and a fake.

October 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
      • thatweirdgirl

Nope. I never looked back when she was added to G4 as some sort of knowledgeable geek-type host. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. To be fair, it wasn't all her that caused me to leave. The total shake up of the channel, the shows, and the talent left me with a bitter taste. I get my nerd, geek, and dork fixes elsewhere these days.

But Munn irritates me for some reason. I twitch when I see her or read about her. Grrr.

October 19, 2011 at 9:40 pm |