Viral video explains how to talk to your kids about 'Star Wars'
September 30th, 2011

Viral video explains how to talk to your kids about 'Star Wars'

Parents often have anxiety about "the Talk."

But one viral video, which has had nearly half a million views since November of last year, aims to help dads out with that very important discussion with their children.

I'm referring, of course, to the first time parents introduce their kids to "Star Wars."

Anthony Layser, a web video producer at AOL, spoke to CNN Geek Out about it.

CNN Geek Out: Where did this idea come from?

Layser: It was just one of these ideas we had in one of our creative meetings. One of the writers had a few friends in Brooklyn who had kids trying to talk off the cuff about how they would introduce their kids to "Star Wars." She was talking about how funny it would be to get a "how-to" together from them, and we thought of it as being a documentary piece.

CNN Geek Out: So who are the people in the video?

Layser: We asked different people we knew in Brooklyn to talk honestly about how they would introduce their kids to "Star Wars." That's what's funny about it. A lot of the things they say in the video are really heartfelt. These are real fathers who are just huge "Star Wars" fans. This is something they struggled with when to show the kids the prequels. They were really excited about talking to their kids about the original trilogy, but were unsure what to do with the prequels?

CNN Geek Out: What kind of response did you get?

Layser: We thought it was funny when we edited it, but we didn't know what it was going to do. A lot of different blogs picked it up. It was great, it got about 450,000 on YouTube and 500,000 on the AOL player, so it's done about 1,000,000 streams.

One of the greatest things about the video is people really relating to it, and kind of providing feedback of what they plan to do with their own kids, as far as trying to broach that subject with them. One of the fathers – the one with the "Yoda" baby – was just so proud and he posted it on his Facebook.

CNN Geek Out: What is it about "Star Wars" that makes it so successful in the world of viral video?

Layser: It was such a big part of a certain age group's childhood experience. I can remember going outside and playing, and being different characters, and it's just something so ingrained in the culture, and so important to people. It's just a common point of reference.

Filed under: Fandom • Squee!
  1. how can you make money blogging

Very Informative article. Enjoyed reading and

November 1, 2012 at 6:09 am |
  2. chris

star wars was the best

October 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  3. Dan

Sorry, but Han didn't shoot first because Greedo didn't shoot originally.

October 26, 2011 at 1:25 am |
  4. hotrod

(This is going to sound serious, but it's meant to be presented in the same sarcastic tone as the video)

Star Wars is the LAST thing I'm going to tell my child about. In fact, when she points to the DVD cabinet and asks "What is THAT movie about?" (actually, I guess she would be pointing to multiple copies of the same movie and ask "Why do you have so many copies of this one movie?" but that's a whole "nuther" story.) I'm going to say, "Oh that's nothing. Those are dumb. You probably wouldn't like them."

Why would I encourage my child to endure the same ostracizing I experienced? When my child is quoting Star Wars in real world situations, I'm going to roll my eyes and curse myself for not burning those movies (and those toys, props, costumes, posters, comics, magazines, and autographed photos from the attic) when she was born. Oh, God, why did I waste so much of my life learning each and every name of every minor character in these movies? Oh, God I even read the books! When she's getting picked on at school, I'll know it was my fault. I should have shown her Tall in the Saddle!

I think I'm going to start a support group for people who want to kick the Star Wars habit (there will also be sessions for comic book nerds, Trekkies, and such).

October 19, 2011 at 11:22 am |
    • Mike

Hello, my name is Mike, and I'm a Star Wars fanatic.

October 24, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
      • Thomas

Hi Mike

November 4, 2011 at 9:24 am |
  5. hanter

If you don't like the prequels, fine. If you don't like the special editions, fine. But you people are becoming fundamentalist about this! As far as your kids go, they are going to watch these movies, whether you like it or not! Who knows, maybe they might be mature enough to appreciate them! Not even the Star Trek fans get this rabid over which was better, classic trek or the Abrahms reboot, or Next Generation vs. Voyager, or even Kirk Vs. Picard! You people need to grow up!

I liked the prequels, I liked the new editions. And yes, like a lot of you, I think George Lucas should have released the original theatrical cuts of the classic trillogy along with the blue ray editions. I don't feel my childhood was raped. Instead, I feel a sense of nostalgia. I am just sick and tired of all the fanaticism here!

October 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • XWngLady

Umm, you do realize that this video is supposed to be 'tongue-in-cheek" right? Its a spoof. The people in the video are making fun with the fact that some people really don't like the prequels or Jar Jar Binks...Its really sad that you didn't see the hilarity in this video. I really hope you were just kidding in your comments.

October 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
      • Ectaris

Um, If you read the accompanying article you will find that it was not just a spoof:
        "We asked different people we knew in Brooklyn to talk honestly about how they would introduce their kids to "Star Wars." That's what's funny about it. A lot of the things they say in the video are really heartfelt."

October 27, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Bluemoon

Picard

October 7, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
    • RichP

Humour is lost on so many people.

Pike.

October 13, 2011 at 9:36 am |
    • Thomas

A fundamentalist Star Wars fan. I like the sounds of that.

Yeah, I guess I am a fundamentalist Star Wars fan. Much better than being a revisionist Star Wars fan. :)

November 4, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  6. Bob

Every dueche bag that responded to this video with any kinda of seriousness at all should go hang themselves by there nutsack. In the event your a women or prentending to be one, lasso a boob.
    ps. the message doesnt count though

October 1, 2011 at 12:05 am |
    • Hero's Journey

Where nutsack?
      At least the average Star Wars fan is more educated. They understand possessive pronouns such as "their." They also know that they're to think about their grammar before they use the wrong homophone like Bob did up there...

October 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
      • Benzo

No one is confused about the grammar. Wash your mouth out with buckshot.

November 4, 2011 at 9:46 am |
  7. utter stupity

the same idiots who will "talk" to the kids about Star Wars, will never "talk" to them about sex, sexuality, sexual orientaion, bullying, experimenting with drugs/alcohol ....etc.......just because you CAN have children does not mean you SHOULD.

September 30, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • RabiaDiluvio

It is called PARODY and is not to be taken seriously.

Go buy yourself a sense of humor and lighten up.

September 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
    • someone

idiot!

October 2, 2011 at 1:25 am |
    • Speedy

Holy crap, man... Did you take this video SERIOUSLY? You do realize that it's a joke, right? You know... humor? And by humor I mean something that is intended to be funny, amusing and light-hearted? You DO know the difference between fantasy and reality, right?

And just in case you really ARE that dense and humorless, I'll spell it out for you in small, easy-to-read words. It's a joke. It's supposed to be funny. These are actors. They are discussing talking to their kids about Star Wars in a way that echoes the PSAs (that's public service announcements, in case you're confused) about "talking to your kids about drugs." It uses irony and satire to draw a parallel between the two, and is amusing because it's poking lighthearted fun at how seriously some people take Star Wars, and how important it was in their lives. It does NOT suggest that anyone not talk to their kids about drugs, bullying, sexual orientation or any of the other important things that parents need to talk about. It's funny. It's cute. It's charming.

Get it yet?

October 3, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Mike

Good thing you're an adult and have thus outgrown the need to stereotype all nerds and geeks as hopelessly unaware of the world around them. Otherwise, you might say something "utterly stupid" about how anyone who likes Star Wars is incapable of raising children responsibly. Oh wait...

October 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Benzo

Walk off a cliff. No one is confused about his use of the word "there." Take the English Nazi act someplace else, brotha.

Also, I think he's speaking to your people. Just sayin.

October 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  8. Michael J.

Stupid.

September 30, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • utter stupity

utterly stupid

September 30, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  9. Jim

"The Talk" should probably start with the fact that there are REALLY only two TRUE Star Wars Movies - one originally called "Star Wars" and one called "Empire Strikes Back." Then, there were several dubious sequels that hardly merit the name.

September 30, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  10. SuperVal

How my starwars chat went down:

Dad: hey son, you’re getting older now, and I think its about time for us to have a serious talk. father to son.
    Son: is this about me feeding the dog exlax for dinner?
    Dad: no son its not about that… wait, what the… did you feed Rover exlax?
    Son: Rover really likes chocolate dad, an he ate the whole box!
    Dad: son, why would you give him that? Oh never mind, we’ll deal with that later.
    Son: well, what is it you want to talk about then? OOOH! Is this about the birds and the bees and where babies come from? Cuz sis told me they came from a cabbage patch when the moon was full. And that you and mom and sis went out there to get a baby but you were late cuz you had to get gas and when you got there all of the good cabbages were already picked, and the only one left was all rotten and when you opened it up I was in it?
    Dad: God in heaven son, cabbages? What the… Jeesus son no!
    Son: then what is it dad? Its got to be very important if its even more important than where babies come from or cabbages?
    Dad: Its way more important than babies, cabbages, or even Christmas!
    Son: wow! Tell me!?!?
    Dad: a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…

September 30, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • George

LMAO!!!!!

September 30, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Mike in NYC

Heeeeey....... who said you could listen in when I told my son about Star Wars???!!! lol

October 7, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  11. Emily

i vividly remember watching star wars with my parents and brothers at age 3. it's one of my earliest memories. we were all squeezed on the couch as i was watching it for the first time. i was absolutely enthralled and enraptured. it was my favorite movie as a little kid and is still in my top favorite movies. every kid should watch star wars. i don't know how i'd be if i hadn't seen this movie at an early age. oh my gosh i love star wars!!!

September 30, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  12. Frederick

I think all the magic and interest in Star Wars came from John Williams score.
    Imagine one second Star Wars without John's compositions.

September 30, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Sam

i just replace the entire soundtrack with yakety sax in my head.

October 20, 2011 at 9:44 am |
  13. nanobelle

As much as I loved Star Wars as a young adult, I still cannot advocate showing it to kids younger than 13. My reasoning is this: this is a series of movies that shows a lot of violence completely odds with it's underlying message of the wisdom of peace. The glamor of lightsabers, blasters and the omnipotence of the force are far more interesting to a child than politics and philosophy-especially when they are so little that all the world seems more empowered than they.
    A child whose education would have at least encompassed more a sophisticated view of history- such as the civil war- would be in a better position to understand the greater threat the Empire poses and more likely to understand Luke's longing to be involved in more important events than in merely domestic ones.
    Another thing I think people should consider is the use of the faceless enemy. Darth Vader is not only the mysterious arch-enemy with the power to kill people using only his thoughts but the commander of an army of clones. That gives our heroes license to dispatch them without remorse and the viewer guilt-free observation of it. Any war, justified or not, should not be represented in such easy terms. That is the real danger, my friends, in showing this film as mere entertainment to the impressionable.

September 30, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • Manu

@nanobelle, thank you for your thoughtful and well reasoned comment. Your line of argument resonates with me, and I think applies to a lot of other content that children get exposed to. I am thinking of content as varied as some animated films, "reality", dramas, opinions and what-not playing in omnipresent TV screens in homes and public spaces.

September 30, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
    • Daniel

I remember watching the original Star Wars in the summer of 1977 with my Dad. We waited in a huge line with other people who had no idea what was lurking on that big screen inside. I was 6 years old. Because there was no option for video 'on demand' my friends and I spent weeks trying to dissect every single scene by memory from one viewing. Ultimately, we discovered the possibility of begging parents for a second, third, 4th, etc trip to the theater for more viewings. Some of my friends even had birthday parties at the theater to watch Star Wars. I made 6 trips to see it that year. One of my friends made it 17 times!

Yet, like any past event, it can't be experienced the same way. Now, I have a 4 year old son who is asking questions about Star Wars. I must make some decisions. The original Star Wars will be the first one. But, is my kid old enough? He knows how DVD players work (has already abused 'Cars' to the tune of almost 150 viewings) – can I stand to have him request Star Wars every day? Will the violence and magic become a problem when viewed daily? Will his friends be ready to dissect scenes and counsel each other about it? I was hoping to put this off for another year or two.

But, my son's preschool friend just showed up with a 200 page book filled with Star Wars characters. Oh well.

October 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • XWngLady

While is rspect your view, I have to disagree, or at least submit an alternate view. For me Star Wars helped me to solidify and undrstand the difference between right/wrong, courage/cowardace, strength/weakness. From the moment I saw the movies as a young girl, I wanted to be strong/powerful like Princess Leia, speak multiple languages like C-3PO AND be a Jedi like Luke Skywalker. I literally grew up wanting to be a combat pilot. It never occured to me at the time, that as a woman, I couldn't do that. When I realized that women were not allowed to do that, I set my sights instead on becoming an Astronaut. Though I never attained that goal, I did serve in the military as a a Linguist :-) and have educated myself and fostered a great career in the national/International security affairs arena. And while it may seem corny or overly dramatic, I have no doubt that seeing star wars so early in life contributed heavily to my life goals and decisionmaking and I wouldn't take it back for anything.

October 5, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
      • Manu

@XWngLady – good counterpoint. inspiring story. thank you for sharing. something i am pondering is how it is regarding this oddball "Star Wars talk" story that I am finding some of the most though provoking dialogue of any comment thread I have read in a while...

October 6, 2011 at 12:30 am |
  14. rtbrno65

What's the big deal? If you don't want to show your kids the prequels then don't. If you want to show them the prequels then go ahead. It's a win win situation either way because, a. they get to experience the "I am your father" twist, or b.they get to see the entire story unfold. I would show them the entire series in numerical order myself since that is how the entire story is told, but I guess everybody has their own ideas.

September 30, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  15. Ted

There are really serious things that people should be talking to their children about but star wars is the least important thing that could be talked about.Is this guy looking for publicity or is he really that big a moron?

September 30, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Flint

It's comedy, dude.

September 30, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Dewa

The site is 3 months old on the crurent format, we are at 13,000 visitors so far, and we are working on new content, as both me and my brother have full time work its difficult to keep the content totally up to date and play pbbg's to review. We are working on a few articles but they take time. We are happy to receive submissions if you want to help out.

October 12, 2012 at 4:59 am |
  16. You worry about those fighters, I'll worry about the tower!

When I have kids, they'll definitely be watching Eps IV-VI. I might show them I-III when they're adults.

September 30, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Emily

I totally agree.

September 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  17. Dale

Peter Jackson should remake the whole saga – but Mr. Lucas would never allow it.

September 30, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • Jared

I don't think we are ready for a re-make just yet. Three new movies that take place after Return of the Jedi, yes!

September 30, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  18. RabiaDiluvio

Bad timing–the first time my kid ever saw return of the Jedi was right after seeing Princess Bride. When Darth Vader turned to the Emperor and said, "As you wish, my master..." he jumped up off the floor and shouted, "wait a minute here–he LOVES him?!?!"

September 30, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • MissBeloeil

LMAO

October 8, 2011 at 3:46 am |
    • Radioactive Man

Okay. That was funny.

October 13, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  19. Kip

my kids (5&7) watch the clone wars on cartoon network and they have a whole different understanding of the star wars movies – not better or worse, just different. they have watched some, but not all of the films.

btw Han shot first.

September 30, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  20. HamsterDancer

Everyone can complain all they want about the prequels and Lucas' revisions. The Blu-ray set of all 6 movies is the number 1 selling set of discs of all time. Obviously the complainers about the changes are just a vocal but small minority. Everybody loves the films and years from now the complainers will be old fogeys and their grandkids and great-grandkids will tell them to shut up so they can just enjoy the fun and joy that is Star Wars.

May the Force be with you!

September 30, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Jared

Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.

September 30, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Uncle Owen

Even George Lucas has been seen wearing a "Han Shot First" t-shirt. Also, I've been with a midget, so your argument is invalid.

September 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
      • Aunt Beru

You know, if they had the movie making technology of today back in the day when Lucas made Star Wars (New Hope), I wonder if it would have been worse and not even a blockbuster?

September 30, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
      • BioHzrd420

Considering the special effects made it a blockbuster as much as the story, I don't know if it would have had the same impact if those effects were in standard practice. They invented the special effect!

September 30, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • The_Hawk

But then, you have no taste, so...

September 30, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  21. mag

My son is almost 4 and he has been introduced to Darth Vader. I tell him that Vader used to be a nice man but he was 'tricked' by mean people to be mean himself. I use that scenario to teach my child that if you hang with the wrong people, mean people, there is a chance that you will become mean yourself and cause trouble. That finding the right friends and doing the right things will keep you honest and good. Becoming "tricked" by mean people is something that happens in real life and it is important to hang out with the right people so that you stay good and on-course to better yourself and the world.

September 30, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • hillman

lmao what am i hearing teaching kids about star wars?

September 30, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
      • Synapse

Open your mind.

September 30, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • Synapse

Good on you, mag. You're using stories to teach lessons [probably lost on the posting crowd]. Same benefit as fairy tales, proverbs, griot's stories. It's made us caring humans for 10's of thousands of years.

September 30, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  22. Dale

It's only a movie, it's only a movie.

September 30, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Uncle Owen

And the Bible's only a book, what's your point?

September 30, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
      • What???

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
        John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

September 30, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
      • John

True that.

October 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  23. Bargle

They're right about not getting into the special editions or all the terrible characters/storylines from the prequels. It's actually hard to introduce your kids to Star Wars now because it is constantly changing for the worse. The special editions and Prequels were supposed to "fix" everything now that Lucas had all the money and computers in the world, and yet he keeps on making changes. It's actually a good lesson for kids about what happens when someone actually gets everything they want, and it turns out to be terrible.

September 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  24. Towanda

I'm 66. Loved taking my sons to all the Star Wars when they first came out – to midnight showings – all the prequels – all the sequels – the remakes – and I'm still finding STAR WARS figures tucked away in stored boxes. My kids are now all grown but those STAR WAR memories will ALWAYS be a fond part of our family. Anytime we are "remembering when..." – at least one of those memories is STAR WARS related.

September 30, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  25. Kirk

Best way to introduce your child .......Show them all the Star Trek episodes and movies. Then they know!!!

September 30, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  26. John

I remember seeing a religioso show years ago that bashed Star Wars as evil.

September 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  27. krehator

It's more important than talking to them about sex, drugs, and religion. Obviously we all sux at that.

September 30, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • IT

What, no rock 'n' roll?

October 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  28. Fiona

This wouldn't be nearly as funny without the tragic music soundtrack. The whole thing made my day– just perfect! Best part: that chubby Yodababy in daddy's lap. I love that she's a girl.

September 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  29. JP

I work in the construction industry and my favority part is the beginning of Return of the Jedi. I would love to hire Darth Vader as my construction facilitator. Haha

September 30, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • SB

Choke a couple of workers in full view of the rest. "You have returned late from lunch for the last time..."

That should get 'em moving.

September 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  30. Vince - NJ

Great report by all accounts. Very funny!

September 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  31. Wookiefan

I can't believe they forgot to mention The Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978! Aren't these people fans???

September 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • ScruffyNerfhearder

They barely count has people

September 30, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • BioHzrd420

No cuz they are either wookies or ewoks.

September 30, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • MissBeloeil

Obviously, you haven't. Otherwise, you wouldn't mention it either. LOL

October 8, 2011 at 3:50 am |
    • Sirep

In my experience with Star Wars gufires, this is the best R2 toy that I have had so far. He has a periscope, a rotating head, two auxiliary arms that come out of his front, a tow cable from the back, two removable rocket boosters, and a removable third leg. This figure is pretty much awesome. Beats any other R2 that I've owned(and I've owned quite a few).

April 8, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  32. Old School Rule

I got my kids hooked on Johnnie Sotto and the Giant Robot and vintage Lost in space. The teenagers watch Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Perry Mason and My Favorite Martion with me.

September 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • BioHzrd420

You do know we are in the 21st century right?

September 30, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  33. DV

You have failed me CNN, for the last time.

September 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • Nothing to see here, move along

*Shudder* the force is strong with this one.

September 30, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  34. joe

It's easy! Just don't tell them about the Tea Party or lie to them and tell that that minorities are bad because if your kids are white, most of their best friend s are either black or hispanic.

September 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  35. Matthew

"It was a really great trilogy that started stronger than it ended and then the person who makes the films took his time ruining them all with detracting updates and a terrible second trilogy. Geeks everywhere try to convince themselves that the second trilogy is worthwhile, but they are confused...

Okay... now that that's explained... let's read 'Go the $%&* to Sleep' together!"

Do your kids a favor and spare them of the heartache that is the current state of Star Wars.

September 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  36. Bdubs

Very news-worthy, thank you CNN.

I am 26. And I have struggled with this very question...about when I perhaps have kids...Do I show them the trilogy in order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6? And turn my hypothetical children's 1st Star Wars experience into an experiment for my own gain. To discover the psychological impact of watching the movies in order 1 – 6.

Or do I give my children the benefit of seeing A New Hope and 5 and 6... But how can I sit there watching the smile on their face, the hope in their eyes, knowing the excruciating heart wrenching emotional pain of 1-3 lays just around the corner .

And thanks to this PSA I know what to do, we must let our children go through the same journey's that we go through, even though we know it may hurt...But the PSA also taught me that I must save them from the Special Edition and it's horrible CGI cartoons.

Thanks guys!

September 30, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Nothing to see here, move along

Nicely put.

September 30, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  37. th

When it comes up, I quote the Queen song "Bicycle Race"..."I don't like Star Wars".

September 30, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  38. Wookie

There are 3 movies.

September 30, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Veruca Salt

this.

September 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
      • Kazakh

Haha the memories. I got to see Star Wars in a teaethr in Akadem Gorodok outside Novosibirsk in late March/early April, 1991, during a student exchange. It was awesome, it was the only movie I remember seeing that had dubbing for all the voices, instead of a depressing baritone reading the script. Even quality offerings like Back to the Future part III were the depressing guy. The only movies I remember seeing in the teaethrs at all were American like Josh Brolin's 1986 mega-blockbuster Thrashin'.I don't remember any posters, though. I do remember getting home and a few days later seeing the tanks roll into the Kremlin. Impeccable timing.

April 8, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Elizabeth

With Ewoks singing the song at the end, not some kind of grand conclusion.
      And, if the writing could improve, weren't there supposed to be 3 more after "RotJ"?

September 30, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Nikhil

Aaah. Good old Intel Play AKA Digital Blue eh? I used to use that and I can recognize the tfeecfs and sounds. I'm not one to judge being that I am young myself and I can say that that is as good as Intel Play movies get.

April 8, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  39. Dave

I pretend the prequels never happened. Also got a laserdisc copy of the original THX enhanced eps 4-6; then converted it over to DVD, made my own DVD case designs, etc. Despite your best attempt to stop me, Lucas, I will not ever watch the remakes or prequels again!

September 30, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Luke

Well done, sir! To think a person can just alter the history of film to comply with the whims of future generations is absurd!

September 30, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
      • Uncle Owen

You'd better have those units in the South Ridge repaired by midday, or there'll be hell to pay.

September 30, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
      • Elizabeth

Me-sa crash landed on your planet, and oops...

September 30, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • SilentBoy741

I have the laserdisc copies, and 2 spare laserdisc players for when this one blows out. Bless you, eBay!

September 30, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  40. Buzz Aldrin

Why is this on the front page of CNN?

Isn't there some racist bomb dropping womanizing genital flashing secret father of a housekeeper's kid story going on?

September 30, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • SilentBoy741

Yes, I'd like an article on how to talk to my kids about THAT.

September 30, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • XWngLady

Try to listen....There are different kinds of news, such as economic news, international news and in this case, entertainment news...following me so far?...Also, there are different types of news readers/followers who visit CNN. Therefore, CNN is making it easy for consumers of different types of news to access the news that they want to read about...understand? Good.

September 30, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
      • Elizabeth

Buzz thought that if he orbited to the other side of the death star, he could land on his head.

September 30, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  41. Okay, here's the birds and the tie fighters

See, when two people love each other, I mean REALLY love each other, they lie close to each other, I mean REALLY REALLY close, and play Episode IV, A New Hope.

And that's how babies come, see?

September 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • svscnn

two thumbs up.

September 30, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
      • Nothing to see here, move along

Agreed

September 30, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  42. David M

Guess I really screwed up. I simply asked my son if he would like to watch a really cool show. He said, yep, and he's been hooked ever since. Who knows what would have happened if I had the 'how to' guide.

September 30, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Nothing to see here, move along

So simple, how could I have missed it? "How bout it then?" Nice.

September 30, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  43. TwoCents

Star Wars and Star Trek? Light Sabers and Phasers? Seriously, what happened to good ol' Sesame Street?

September 30, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • hanspock banthaluppigus

hey man, i group up simultaneously on sesame street, star wars and star trek... the three s's. and i'm great.

September 30, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
      • Luke

Technically, that's 4 S's, a W, and a T. But spell on, jedi.

September 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
      • Elizabeth

It's all muppets, whether it's Ms. Piggy or Yoda or the Sesame Street gang; all Frank Oz and Jim Hensen associates, so there really isn't any difference.

September 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  44. Me

COME ON PEOPLE!! Can you seriously not see the humor in this? I thought this was hilarious. Obviously these guys aren't serious. Wow – ya'll took it way too literal.

September 30, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  45. CRC

This is not news worthy. Who cares how parents should talk to kids about Star Wars? On the front page? Really CNN?

September 30, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • bkl

These comments saying, "this is not newsworthy" crack me up. If you care so little about the content of this light hearted article, why did you read it, let alone comment on it? To me, I am glad to see something fun rather than the depressing news of the state of our economy or more deaths in the war.

September 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Sorry, dude.

Well, since YOU don't judge it worthy, I guess... Well, I guess CNN doesn't give a fig what you think.

September 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Rich

I find your lack of faith disturbing....

September 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
      • svscnn

Please don't let go this time Lord Vader.

September 30, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
      • Elizabeth

Why do they all drop the ..... at the first sign of trouble?

September 30, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Alpha Centuri

If you do not want CNN to run any more stories like this, then use the Force....

September 30, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
      • Elizabeth

They only have an elementary understanding; dropped out of Padawan school.

September 30, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Greedo

You are gay.

September 30, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Jim

The Force is not strong with this one

September 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Abhishek

Waaaaay to rationalize our cihoces in life! Too bad we tend to choose to avoid communicating how we really feel. Had we just done so, we MIGHT have achieved greater mutual understanding with those we have issues with, sooner, rather than later.

October 12, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
  46. john van atta

anyone that has ever played a daracter on this show should receive an award for keeping a strait face when delivering a line on it, might be alright for 2 to 8 year olds but even then!!

September 30, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Hai

I see that this post has won the best personal blog in the Philippine Blog Awards 2010, and this iedend is worth it. Way. If I were a judge, you could have won 10 times over. Unfortunately, I was not.I'm looking forward to more posts from you Don't worry I'm easy to please. Hehehe!As for this one, I was touched.Congratulations!

October 12, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  47. Paul cohen

trailer trash...

September 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Sorry, dude.

Married 19 years, own my 4,500 square foot home outright, earn six figures, over a million in the bank...

And I love Star Wars.

September 30, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
      • Meat Puppet

May the Farce Be With You – you live in your parents basement, work as a Wal-Mart greeter and still waiting for your first kiss – go back your fantasy world. The only way you will ever see a 4,500 sq ft home is when you are there to clean the carpets ..........................

September 30, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Jim

I'll bet you any about of money that the person who designed the hardware and software on the computer you used to make that ignorant comment is a HUGE Star Wars fan and makes a lot more money than you do. There are many successful people out there, Architects, Engineers, Doctors, and scientists Love these movies. Some don't of course but to assume fans of Star Wars are trailer trash or 30- something living with their parents is just ignorant.

September 30, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  48. TAK

You cannot show episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6 in that order to a noob. Without getting into the quality of the prequels, there are just too many spoilers. They should be showns 4,5,6,1,2,3. Or better yet, 4,5,6, mention that a hottie hooks up with a jerk for some unknown reason, add something about a corrupt senator, then show episode 3.

September 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Chris

I agree, Episode I was a complete waste of time, and nothing more than a cash cow for Lucas. Why'd they have to go screw up the Force by giving it some attempt at a logical explanation as to how it works?

September 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
      • Wastrel

Don't diss the Force, he was Anakin's father.

September 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • HamsterDancer

I actually like critic Chris Gore's idea to show 4,5 then 1,2,3 and end with 6. New Hope & Empire has a great set of characters and adventure and ends with the shocking revelation. Then they can watch the prequels to get the background of how things got to that point. Finally, they see everything resolved in the 6th, Return of the Jedi.

September 30, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
      • Nothing to see here, move along

Just a thought, this seems more like a decision of what gerranimals outfit to match up.

September 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  49. Greg

As someone who really enjoyed the movies. I am sick of Star Wars. Or at least rehasing old Star Wars.

And Lucas needs to give away the rights. I want to see more edgy Star Wars.

September 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • SilentBoy741

I think you'll find what you're looking for in the "adult" section.

September 30, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  50. justaguy

You do one on how to introduce your children to the Beatles. That could be good, too!

September 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  51. john van atta

anyone who ever played a part in starwars ahould get an award of some kind for being able to deliver lines with a straight face with this rediculous crap!!!!!!!!

September 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Chris, Austin

Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter.

September 30, 2011 at 2:28 pm |

Our reality this is!

September 30, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  52. Ken

I introduced my daughter to Star Trek and Spock and with the knowledge of Spock, she was more than able to handle every episode of Star Wars and enjoyed them all and infact, she has the entire collection on DVD and brings them home so we can both sit and enjoy them on Holidays. She even thanks me for exposing her to the logic of Mr. Spock. Said she uses it even today in her everyday work and business decisions. I'm super proud of my little Trekkie. She also loves Yoda too. She especially loves, understands and is even capable of speaking in his tongue.

September 30, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • kevin

my kids are 12 and 10. i got them into star trek by showing them the newest film. then i later showed them wrath of khan, which they thought was pretty cool.

September 30, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • SilentBoy741

Yes, but does she keep her emotions in constant check, and only mate every 7 years?

September 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  53. BVN

Two unforgiveable sins that make George Lucas the biggest toolbag in the universe: #1) The biggest baddest guy in the galaxy, Vader, got turned into a tiny whiny bitch with lots of crying and tears, and everything else terrible. #2) Jar-Jar.

September 30, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • Emigdio

#3. Giving Vader the worst "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" ever, twice (if you've heard of the blu-ray edition change.)

September 30, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
      • Chris

You ever see the video that overdubs the "NOOOOOOOOO!!" over other famous movie scenes? Priceless.

September 30, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
      • SilentBoy741

Yeah, his mouth-grille totally doesn't sync up with the word.

September 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • kevin

are you kidding me? having greedo shoot first is the most unforgiveable sin!!!

September 30, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Chris

#4 Jar-jar again

September 30, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  54. Paul cohen

How retarded can you all get?

September 30, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • what next

Layser: It was such a big part of a certain age group's childhood experience, and some of those people are still living their childhoods.

September 30, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Feel better?

There, there... Does your miserable life seem better now that you have belittled others for what makes them happy? Perhaps you should just go back to bragging to your co-workers about how "your" football team is better than "theirs."

September 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
      • Elizabeth

Fooball, it's fooball, played by afletes.
        Jedi are just so much more cool.

September 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Jared

I don't know, what did you say your IQ is?

September 30, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • I'm working down

through dull-normal on my way to idiot, with an ultimate goal of imbicile.

Why, are there lower levels yet?

September 30, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
      • Uncle Owen

You win when you reach Palin-esque

September 30, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
      • Really? wow....

Actually Uncle Owen's mom would be the absolute pinnacle of stupidy.

September 30, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • SilentBoy741

Dude, you have no idea.

September 30, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  55. Saxxon

In a galaxy far, far away...

I told my son about the Empire, the Rebels, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Chewie, and Princess Leia (in the gold bikini, of course).

My son said to me, "WTF are you talkin' about, Dad?"

September 30, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Elizabeth

This new generation, abbreviations they all talk in.

September 30, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  56. Ronen

A sure way to win any argument: point a finger and slam this at your opponent in a deep dark voice: "You are a member of the rebel alliance and a traitor!"

September 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Purist

You got the quote wrong, but still awesome.

September 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Emigdio

The qoute is"you are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor! Take her away!"

September 30, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  57. Purist

HAN SHOT FIRST!

September 30, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Alpha Centuri

Damn right he did, and if anyone has a problem with that I would like to introduce them to my friend the Wookie.

September 30, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Elizabeth

Yeah, and the movie would have been really short if he hadn't. He did pay the bartender to clean it up.

September 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  58. bob

These people have had sexual intercourse?

September 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Andrea M

I love Star Wars, and so does my fiancee. Logically we will go on to produce little ones who will also be raised to love Star Wars and get to show the neighbor kids our light sabers.

September 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
      • SilentBoy741

your fiancee showing the neighbor kids his light saber is a sure way to end up on a s3x offender registry.

September 30, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • Alpha Centuri

Jealous??

September 30, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  59. jambrute

the guy with the baby looks like a chunkier toby from the office

September 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  60. Trish

I wish I could understand the love some people have for Star Wars. I had to be paid by my husband to watch the first 3 a few years ago and I don't even remember them now.

September 30, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Meh

I wish I could understand the love some people have for blathering on about how they don't care about something.

September 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Howie

Clearly you have limited intelligence. Only those with an IQ above 50 can enjoy the greatest movies and franchise ever created.

September 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
      • kevin

sorry to disagree. my 153 IQ tells me that star wars was fun, empire was a terrific film, jedi was embarrassing and clearly just a paycheck for all involved (harrison ford has said as much), and the prequels are inconsistent at best. greatest movies and franchise ever created? hardly. lord of the rings, star trek, james bond, harry potter...all better franchises that star wars.

September 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
      • Howie

We can all agree to disagree, but Harry Potter does not even deserve a mention here. The others are at least debatable. And while it is a great franchise, no James Bond film will ever be accused of being the best movie ever made – that distinction goes to the Original Star Wars of course. Empire was great, but nothing can top the childlike wonder of this completely new thing that was Star Wars. Everything else is just built on that foundation. Jedi would have been much better if the Ewoks had stayed Wookies as originally envisioned. Star Trek is a great franchise, but all the movies were terrible. LOTF is the greatest fantasy saga ever written, but the movies only appeal to a niche audience, and as a franchise it is non-existant.

September 30, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
      • Howie

LOTR – sorry.

September 30, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
      • Elizabeth

I loved the visuals and sets of LOTR, and some acting, but the script gave away too much before the surprises and had horses leaping past pikes without being skewered, and many more glaring errors of that kind. I didn't mind them changing the characters (except for Aragorn) as much. As for Star Wars, I like RotJ, but not the Emperor or the major battle scenes; he seemed more wimpy than Vadar, and not well-conceived. And the evil Emperor wouldn't be the only thing to worry about in an evil Empire; it was not believable that one battle would fix everything. I awaited a final 3 movies, and was disappointed that George Lucas had them tooling around in the prequels instead, and then retired from making his own movies. The whole trouble is all the staff of writers; he needed to use the power of the Force to find a new plot.

September 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
      • Jared

@Elizabeth

There is a vast amount of Star Wars cannon (if you consider it so) that takes place in the books following Return of the Jedi. After the Emperor's death there is much confusion and territorial conflict among the Alliance and the Empire's regional governors (Warlords). The Alliance gained a lot of support following the Emperor's death, but the war was far from over. There are numerous very good plot lines that could be used to make additional movies.

September 30, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
      • Lars

Obi Wan Kenobi and its my favorite cacrahter xD in this collection, in the one of ep 3 ALL all the figures are more than awsome the best collection EVER!!! but i im looking for General Griveous with 4 Lightsaber the one that was realeased at Ep 3 not the one of the clone wars and Darth Maul I LOVE STAR WARS SOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2012 at 5:51 am |
  61. Michael Wong

I still think it's hilarious that Star Wars purists try to demonstrate their "geek cred" by over-enthusiastically lambasting the prequels. Sure, I didn't like the prequels the way I liked the original movies, but the sheer amount of vitriol and hatred that Star Wars purists unleash on the prequels is nothing more than bandwagon-jumping.

Of course, Star Trek fans are still much more obnoxious, as one Star Trek fan already demonstrated here by posting his bizarre explanation of how Star Trek is morally superior to Star Wars. I think the most offensive thing Trekkies do is to credit the Star Trek writers for "inspiring" real-life technological developments such as cell-phones, as if these wouldn't have happened without Star Trek.

September 30, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Purist

"the sheer amount of vitriol and hatred that Star Wars purists unleash on the prequels is nothing more than bandwagon-jumping."

No, it really isn't. Many of us actually hate them because Lucas reduced the mystical unknown of The Force to midichlorian counts, made most of an entire galaxy forget the guardians of peace and justice over the course of 20 years, and so on. It was just bloody awful.

September 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Howie

I am a Star Wars purist, and I love the prequels. I was always pissed at Lucas for not releasing the first three and the last three (for those who don't know, 9 screenplays were outlined before they even went into production on episode IV), and I was further disappointed when he allowed third rate fiction writers to completely mess up the Star Wars universe with events after Episode VI that were contradictory to the outlines of Episodes VII-IX. I was psyched when the prequels were announced, and was (mostly) not disappointed with them when I way them. Jar Jar is inexcusable, but so were the Ewoks (originally written as a planet of enslaved Wookies). I am a total Star Wars geek, and I love the prequels. So sue me.

September 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
      • Chris

Timothy Zahn did a fantastic job, especially with the Heir to the Empire trilogy. They were so good, I could've even seen them serving as the story for episodes VII through IX if they were ever made.

September 30, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Juls

I am a purist and Revenge of the Sith is my favorite of all the movies. StarWars and Empire faovrites for entirely different reasons.
      I will always hold a special place in my heart for StarWars because I will never forget the first time I saw it – I was amazed.
      But, the look and feel of Revenge surpasses any of the other movies.
      I also am an avid reader of the extended universe. I have read about 100 star wars books.

And for those saying only trailer trash, nerdy boys.men living in their parents basement and those with small IQs like StarWars – think again.
      I am a college educated computer programmer. I own my own house. I am not in debt – I have an excellent credit score. And I am a girl

September 30, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Elizabeth

Ever hear about the person who copied the first prequel and deleted Jar Jar Binks? They say it was a good movie without him. R2D2 was cute without being obnoxious in movie 4.
      Star Trek did not make cell phones possible: it was the mathematician Mandelbrot who explored fractals, which then were used in the shape of the cell phone antennas, allowing the cell phones to be small enough to fit in a hand and almost safe enough to use.

September 30, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  62. Steve

We just finished watching the original trilogy with my 8 and 2 year old. They both love it. My 2 year old now walk around the house singing the Imperial theme music and wearing black underwear on his head to be like Darth Vader. Someday the younger skinny George Lucas will rise from the dead and kill the older fatter Lucas and restore Star Wars back to its original glory.

September 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  63. cmdcangri

wtf!..this is why kids kill themselves..

September 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Jared

You are correct. Jar Jar does tend to drive people crazy.

September 30, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
      • Elizabeth

Me-sa think he drove the series into a wall.

September 30, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  64. Mike T

The original trilogy was fun. The others I won't let them watch so as not to ruin it for them.

September 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  65. suzn

My boyfriend's birthday is coming up and he Requested all 6 movies. I bought them but now i have to actually watch them with him

September 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Chris

Oh, right, like he's never suffered through "Legally Blonde" to make you happy. Sheesh...

September 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  66. Chris

I would introduce it to my hypothetical kids the way it's supposed to be done... Episodes IV through VI first, then read the novelizations of the books and get a little into the expanded universe a little bit, and only THEN watch the three prequels. You need to develop your love for Star Wars first in order to tolerate those three movies and not have them completely ruin Star Wars for you.

September 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  67. Jason

Hilarious! Great job.

September 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  68. Movies

are movies, I enjoy all 6 films.

September 30, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  69. jeremy

Well, I guess if I had to "talk" to my kids about Star Wars, I would tell them that Episodes 4, 5 and 6 used to be some of the greatest movies of all time. And that there is no such thing as Episodes 1, 2, 3 - so don't ask.

September 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  70. MyKids

will be trekies!

September 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Moe Smith

My Jedi daughter will beat up your RED SHIRTED son (because he sure as heck will never wear yellow and there are more qualified who will wear blue).

September 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
      • Paul cohen

How retarded can you get?

September 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
      • kevin

the red-shirt stigma ended after the original series. in every series that followed, red is the color of command. ;-)

oh, and for those who believe in the omnipotence of the force, keep in mind that Q could wipe every sith out of existence with a single thought. i don't remember any omnipotent beings in star wars. :D

September 30, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
      • Elizabeth

So why did Q sic the Borg on Jean-Luc? Although I liked Jean-Luc better as a Borg; since he was a total wimp about the Prime Directive (which James Kirk never was). I agree totally with Q's summation of the "Next Generation" series at the end. Some of the other spin-offs weren't half bad though. It might be nice to do spin-offs of some other famous series (not just endless spin-offs of the prequel to Star Wars).

September 30, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  71. Tom

Star Wars is an elitist fantasy based on the idea that everything is black and white, good and evil, and that we need a few heroes to save us because they are just naturally better than the rest of us. A better view is Star Trek, in which everybody has a part to play in trying to build a better world (or galaxy), and violence is not always the answer. Not to mention that the characters are actually sort of people-like!

September 30, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Chris

People avoid you at parties, don't they.

September 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
      • JohnOBX

LMAO! Pwnt.

September 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
      • Bromidedrag

Never in my life did I ever think a Star Wars fan would use the term Pwnt... groan!

September 30, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
      • Rosio

This is not a historical piece. I usggest reading descriptions before commenting. This is a creative work of fiction made for a class. No where in this movie or the description do I state this is historical. In fact I state it is a creative piece made for a class. It should be obvious this is a fiction

April 9, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • jaxin

No violence? I guess that explains why Kirk gets in a hand-to-hand fight with someone in just about every episode. He gets a lot of alien strange, too.

September 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
      • Lin

LOL! Plus, Vader could squash Kirk like a bug.

September 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Chris

Yeah, seriously. The Voyager crew killed billions of Borg at the end of the series; "violence is not always the answer"?

September 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • LetsGetReal

Elitist? ... It is a very common literary theme. Besides, there people who are better at other things then the rest of us and we, as humans, like to watch them do their thang. Save that kind of thing for a hipster party ...

September 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Moe Smith

talk about elitist... gtfover yourself.

September 30, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Bromidedrag

Actually, Tom is on to something... Star Wars was a little more black & white.

September 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
      • Elizabeth

Well, their costumes were. But Yoda and Obi Wan sure weren't; Obi Wan guided Luke to run away from home.

September 30, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
      • Lilia

I can't believe the two ldrwos of Cracked.com and BBG are colliding, I saw these posters a few weeks ago there. They have others that boggle the mind even more so than the Star Wars one, the Czech Republic poster for Ghostbusters is a brain bender, and worth the click alone.

April 8, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Howie

Communist. Star Wars is better, because it is plausibly real. The egalitarian society in Star Trek will simply never happen, humans are not wired that way.

September 30, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  72. Adam

So I guess nothing else important is happening on Planet Earth today. Way to go CNN.

September 30, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Nathan_Brazil

Adam, you are a complete and utter idiot. It is a humorous story on a "Geek out" blog. That is all. The news is listed elsewhere. Get over it.

September 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Danny

Human interest and culture stories are news. Your lack of interest doesn't reduce their legitimacy.
      I don't try to claim professional sports aren't news just because I consider them a complete waste of time.

September 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
      • Elizabeth

Although sometimes I wish there were some arts news, not just sports and movie stars.

September 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • I gotta life

This must do something for you, going around dissing perfectly good stuff. Must somehow make you think you're an intellectual, right? Well, that's not the case. Run on over to the Enquirer, maybe they can find a place for your talents.

September 30, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  73. Noble9

My 3-year-old son walked in while my nephews were watching Episode I. When he saw Jar-Jar shoot his tongue out and grab a fruit out of the bowl on the table he literally ran screaming. Haven't been able to get him to watch since, even though he's older. My advice: don't try to start too early and avoid the prequels until they're mature enough to understand what the term "sell out" means.

September 30, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Scarred by Jar Jar

Don't feel bad. I was 34 and did the same. I came back because that's where the popcorn was.

September 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
      • Elizabeth

Me-sa think that authors try to drive away audience after awhile.

September 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  74. C/

And talking about Star Wars, I assume everyone means the original IV-VI, non special editions.

September 30, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • BlameLucas

Yes, the 'Special Editions' and prequels are nothing more than CGI-filled garage that I still refuse to subject my children too.

September 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • BlameLucas

Garbage*

September 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
      • Elizabeth

Space junk that falls from the sky, and is photographed in Minnesota, but that NASA claims fell into the Pacific.

September 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
      • Omar

bah, free mounts ineedd!I practically bled trying to save for mine, then failed miserably and borrowed what else I needed of my buddy. It was alright though, they were ill-gotten gains and I have no intention of paying him back.oh, and It's very cool. Giant cat an all :)

October 12, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
      • Gerardo

US and European papers have reteoprd self-deprecation expressed by “some” of our allies and fellow Americans as to this mission. Literally “pining away” over OBL loss that he deserved a trial or tribunal similar to Nuremberg, attempting to invoke history for their misguided argument. However tribunals had only been conducted after the defeat of the enemy. President Obama conducted himself in the same manner as President Roosevelt . Osama Bin Laden and 911 are in keeping with Naval Marshall General Isoroku Yamamoto and Pearl Harbor in scale and loss of life. Earlier events also with the Navy prior to these later larger attacks parallels somewhat with USS Panay and USS Cole. Isoroku Yamamoto, was the Commander in Chief of the combined fleet which lead the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Philippines. We had been halfway into World War II, when our intelligence intercepted, decoded and gathered critical information to the movements of Yamamoto. President Franklin D. Roosevelt ordered Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox to GET YAMAMOTO “Operation Vengeance” US Army P-38 fighters intercepting to shot down Yamamoto's transport aircraft on 18 April 1943. Like Roosevelt, Obama recognized that the enemies top leadership is a “valid” military target in war. Again, President Obama conducted himself in the same manner as President Roosevelt .

October 15, 2012 at 2:35 am |
  75. Gene

CNN Geek Out: What kind of response did you get?

(Foremost in Layser's mind): We got lots of views which led to clicks on our YouTube partner AdSense revenue dollars which was the whole purpose of doing anything of this sort at all.

September 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Elizabeth

News at 11: Big media is for PROFIT business, whether it is TV, print, internet, radio, or other source.
      This sort of fluff is for fun, and fine with me. You have to be a little cautious when certain things get on to "serious" news, while other things that might not be profitable are censored; that's much more of a concern. May the Force be with you!

September 30, 2011 at 4:44 pm |