Why Japanese women say they like dating otakus
September 20th, 2011

Why Japanese women say they like dating otakus

Recent surveys in Japan have suggested that not only are our youngsters not interested in sex, but that Japanese women are mystifying men just as much as the men's behavior stupefies the women.

Now a survey from Sugoren, translated by Japan Style, is sticking up for the otaku generation and has collated reasons why the male nerds of Japan are the best boyfriends in town.

The female readers of the site came up with these beauties:

1. Access to an unknown world

“My boyfriend had me memorize lots of names of game characters. It was hard in the beginning, but now I’m addicted to the game world. I’ve learned many things about the otaku world and it's fun!”

2. Fresh date ideas

“I went to a comic market for the first time. That was so exciting! The full-sized Gundam was quite impressive!”

3. Trustworthy

“Otaku boys are pure and single-minded, and can’t be flirts, so I don’t have to worry about [feeling jealous.] If otaku boys cheat on me, it happens only in the second dimension (not with real girls)."

4. Shared obsessions

“I am otaku too, so we can enjoy the same things. It feels like he has become my teacher.”

5. Enthusiastic conversations

“The topic rarely deviates but I never get tired of the conversation with him," says one teenage respondent. “Otaku people are very enthusiastic,” says another in her 20s.

6. Respect for your sense of values

“I’m otaku, but my field is different from my boyfriend’s, and each of us has an inviolable territory. We each respect the other’s interests.”

7. An expert helper

“He knows so much about electronic products and found the best cellphone for me," says one girl. “My boyfriend has plenty of know-how,” suggests another.

8. Dependable

“He is a computer otaku and my only help-desk staff!”

“My boyfriend hand-built a computer himself,” says one lady in her 30s.

Posted by ,
Filed under: Otaku
  1. Irma

This is a very excelent amieatnd movie, but even a better Manga! Kind of hard to get everything clear just by watching the movie, but the story itself is pretty cool. You dont have to be into manga to like it!CHEERS!

December 22, 2012 at 4:10 am |
  2. ps3chick

It's nice to know that people realize the good qualities of being otaku. And also that even though we have our own section, the writers never seem to realize "otaku" is singular and plural..."OTAKUS" is not a word.

October 13, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  3. SeattleGeek

They're leaving out the biggest obvious benefit. Otaku and similar nerds, are fantastic in bed. I've dated a couple, and believe me – they have attention to detail, they've read and watched a ton about it, they have wildly imaginative fantasies, they're super repressed so they turn into animals in private. And best of all, they really want to get it right, so they take direction very well... no ego to get in the way.

October 7, 2011 at 11:42 am |
  4. KajinPL

Not everyone understands the "ins" and "outs" of a computer. My knowledge only goes so far myself.

October 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
  5. Pete

'“My boyfriend hand-built a computer himself,”'

Implying it's difficult to build a computer?

October 3, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • anon e. moose

apparently we solder the thing from scratch.

October 5, 2011 at 1:31 am |
      • Mike

I built mine with wood and a hammer! Oh, and red crystals.

October 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  6. Beefburger

@Kaijin. Probably not. Kaijin the gaijin?

October 1, 2011 at 8:10 am |
    • KajinPL

My name has one 'I' in it.

October 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  7. Derrick

Lots of non-Japanese girls go for nerds...even those of Western European descent. Of course actors, bartenders, athletes, etc. will always be much better looking, but it takes more than good looks to keep a woman. With technology becoming more and more an economic driver more nerds are naturally making their way into better paying and more secure jobs. Face it...99% of actors, athletes, etc just don't make enough money to make a decent contribution to the cost of living, so nerds have the force of the economy behind them.

September 24, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • KajinPL

Thanks. That makes me feel better inside. Luckily, I didn't have to look anymore 2 years ago. lOl

September 26, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
      • Cesarz

not gonna lie, I haven't really been into anime since the endesls waltz and cowboy bebop, but after watching the bike scene i might have to watch this. It actually looks really well done and doesn't have a lot of the corny dialogue that's in most translated anime. i'm going to peep it.

December 22, 2012 at 4:10 am |
    • Teegs

As an american girl, I have to agree. Even sitting on a couch watching my bf play video games is more healthy than some of my non-otaku relationships with men and women. He's supportive, honest, humorous, so many good things. These guys have an amazingly concrete sense of honor, for the most part. Just steer clear of the ones with mother issues, ex-wives, and children, as always!

October 9, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
  8. KajinPL

That's quite fascinating. I had a hard time find a girl who liked the same stuff I do. My social life would've been a lot easier in Japan.

September 21, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • Teegs

Kaijin, just go to an anime convention and find one of the steampunk, costume, or anime girls! Ex-president of a university anime club, I love hanging out and flirting at them. Always a great place to collect phone numbers.

October 9, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
  9. cici

i like it very much.i agree with you.

September 21, 2011 at 4:49 am |