Fan's a capella ode to 'Doctor Who' captures show's attention
September 13th, 2011

Fan's a capella ode to 'Doctor Who' captures show's attention

Just a few weeks ago, Dan Rider was simply another "Whovian," a "Doctor Who" fan who was particularly psyched to see the much-anticipated "Let's Kill Hitler" episode.

He was so excited that he was inspired to do an a capella version of the show's iconic theme song, backed up by, well, himself. Check it out:

His clever editing job, and unabashed love for the series caught the attention of executive producer Steven Moffat, who tweeted it with the words, "Made my day!"

CNN spoke to Rider to ask him about his moment of viral video glory.

CNN: What inspired you to do this video?

Rider: I'd been wanting to put lyrics to the "Doctor Who" theme ever since I realized that "Alons-y, Alonso" fit perfectly with the tune. I mulled for a few months before being able to finish the rest. And one night, at about 1:00 in the morning, I decided that it would be a great idea to do the whole thing a capella and with a construction paper fez (had I been more awake, I probably would have thought it was a terrible idea, but there you go).

CNN: How long have you been a Whovian?

Rider: I've been a fan for the past 2 or 3 years, ever since my girlfriend got me hooked on the new series. At first, I didn't think anything could pry me away from "Firefly," but I very quickly found myself staying up all night to watch the episodes endlessly on Netflix Instant Play. I don't think I slept a full night until I caught up.

CNN: What makes you so passionate about the show? The theme song?

Rider: It's a show of such complexity, humanity and heart, I can't imagine anyone not being passionate about it. Aside from that, the show personally inspires me with it's incredible acting, directing and writing, three things that I'm currently going to college to study. It's personally inspired me to be better at what I do. As for the theme song, my friends and I have a semi-choreographed dance to go along with it. 'Nuff said.

CNN: Have you done much a capella before this?

Rider: I've sung tight harmonies in a lot of musicals, and my high school had an a capella group (we specialized in Life Is A Highway).

CNN: What was it like hearing back from Moffat?

Rider: It was like getting a high-five from Jesus. It was unreal. Being on the radar of one of my idols, even in Twitter world, put me on cloud nine for days.

CNN: How have other fans reacted to your video?

Rider: I'm getting amazing feedback! The "Doctor Who" fanbase is so tight-knit, so nice, and so damn cool, and I'm loving being a part of it. They rock.

Posted by
Filed under: Fandom • Squee!
  1. Miss Moxie

NICE!

January 15, 2012 at 11:01 am |
  2. Dalek Tarsus 915b

Exterminate, Exterminate, Exterminate.

October 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  3. Nancy

Firefly and Dr Who!? I love this guy!

October 3, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  4. nanobelle

What nobody ever mentions is that the Doctor is a pacifist that travels through time and space solving conflicts without using weapons. It can't be easy writing a story as complicated as that without resorting to your hero picking up a weapon even to defend himself but it's been done for forty years. He isn't always right and sometimes he makes colossal mistakes but it's always with the best of intentions. He's weird and wonderful, child-like and whimsical, the most unpredictable character ever drawn- mostly due to the numerous actors who've played him and had the freedom to interpret the character. And let's not forget the amazing writers- Douglas Adams, Stephen Moffat. Rob Sherman, Terrance Dicks, Neil Gaiman- just to name a few. It is their interpretations and vast imaginations that made something worth preserving for generations to come.

October 2, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  5. Winston S.

Odd thing to say about a show that is renown for being bad. It was known for its writing 40 years ago... but that was a different show. The bbc is just using the old titles etc. Today it's a show that is like the 1960s Batman, with gay themes thrown in, but with cgi effects. It's the kind of show Vicky Pollard would like.

September 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Floris

You are thinking of a different show. This one is renown for outstanding writing and long, complex story arcs. The writing 40 years ago was ok, but the stories were a lot simpler. It was actually a kids' show back then. You might want to watch it sometime. If you were confusing it with some other show, you are missing out on something great.

September 30, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Emily

You are defenetly not talking about Dr. Who. If people would actually watch sci-fi shows they would realize they are not just about monsters and aliens. Sci-fi shows usually have better character development, looks at religion, the dark side of humans.... Just take a look at The X-Files that won the Amercain Peabody award in its third season.
      Watch before you comment. And try to look beyond monsters and aliens.

September 30, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Leo

Awesome.

September 29, 2011 at 10:53 am |
  7. gonzo63

I've been a fan of Dr. Who since I was young and The Doctor was Jon Pertwee. Nice to see the Dr. has bounced back from that awful movie. Nice to see the show has an appeal for a new generation.

September 23, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  8. Dan

Hay! Nice job! The entire time, you appear to be "beside yourself" with joy!

September 23, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  9. frank

"It's a fez. I wear a fez, now. fez's are cool"

September 23, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  10. David Lynn

Dr Who with Mr.Baker in the 80's was the best..back then they didn't switch Dr Who's character that much. Now they do it too often in my opinion. I just get to liking one then POOF he's gone!!!

September 20, 2011 at 4:32 am |
  11. old school

this is as cool as the acapella tribute to John Williams!

September 19, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  12. Jeanine G

This is bloody brilliant! But I want him to have a real fez, and real bowtie, and a real singing walk-on in an episode.

September 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • Holy Frijoles

Totally! I say give him a walk-on. I have got to show my kids this video, a couple of whom are Whovians, thanks to the 3 most recent doctors.

September 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm |