September 3rd, 2011

The 2011 Dragon*Con parade

It was 8 A.M. and the sidewalks of Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia, were already filled to capacity. Two hours later, the spectacle they were all there to see was finally underway.

The annual Dragon*Con parade is something that the convention attendees and local townies do not miss. Dragon*Con is well-known for a standard-setting caliber of costuming, and the parade is its ultimate runway show.

Practically every genre of sci-fi and fantasy are represented by parading costumers, from the "Rainbow Bright" friends to Wookies who tower three feet above everyone in attendance. The attention to detail of all the costumes is truly stunning, leaving onlookers with wide eyes and gaping smiles.

Were you at the parade? Send us your photos!

1. Winfred Hetu

Wonderful site. Plenty of useful information here. I am sending it to a few buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you to your sweat!

June 17, 2013 at 10:50 am |
  2. Nathan

I'd be unwanted and I have to say,my son, 11, ctnaosntly makes up stories with me. I give him some characters and he gives them powers and friends and we go from there. The trouble is, he has about 20 characters and no plot, so I'm trying to reel him in a little on that. It's like he wants to include all his friends. He's so cute!Heatherhrose2931(at)gmail(dot)com

December 22, 2012 at 7:12 am |
  3. bubble shooter online games

Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my blog thus i got here to go back the want?.I'm attempting to find things to enhance my website!I guess its good enough to use a few of your ideas!!

April 3, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  4. John Guthrie

OMG, do you see whats transpiring in Syria? In spite of a brutal government crackdown, the manifestations continue

December 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
  5. Musette de Noir

To the guy who said nerds are social outcasts...think again. I'm a nerd, a geek, a costumer, whatever you want to call. At the Dragon Con parade I was among nerds , geeks, etc...and we ARE beautiful people. I'll take that label anytime. I am 47 years young and will never lose my passion or imagination. Obviously something YOU are lacking. WE are the artists of the world, the actors, singers, makers and doers. Grow up and find your passion!!

September 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  6. pokie

everyone against those who participate in these get togethers all have the same comment: "living in mom's basement"....the percentage of people who attend these functions that live in mom's basement are VERY tiny. so small yet they give the rest of the people a bad name. but it is always the small few who give the rest of the group a bad rap in ANY group of people.

September 4, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • chemicalbank

News forum quarterbacks – never get any further from their keyboards than the refrigerator.

September 5, 2011 at 2:07 am |
  7. MacWhoDat

Nice to see the Browncoats out and represented! Bring Back Firefly! Shiny :)

September 4, 2011 at 9:48 am |
  8. Zed

CNN - Just because some people have embraced "geek" as a label does not mean it's okay to use the word– Which is traditionally an insult and/or slur– To describe people in both the headline, and in captions.

It's the same with the "N" word. Just because certain aspects of urban culture have embraced the word doesn't mean it's okay for CNN to call a group of young African Americans by that name in a headline or caption.

After I thought about it, I decided that I am not a geek. Some people might have called me one, but I am not one. I am not a nerd, either. I'm a human being who happens to enjoy some geeky things. I am not defined by my hobbies, and believe it or not, not all people who are into comics, scifi, or D&D are the attention-seeking type who will dress up in costumes.

I am not going to "embrace" a word that was used to insult me. That's idiotic, and it doesn't give power to me, but to the people who still consider that word to be an insult.

Be "geeks" if you want. I'm going to be a guy who just has a few fun hobbies. I'm not going to wrap myself in an identity forged for me by pop culture and news media. I am not a stereotype. Frankly, I'm embarrassed by people who reinforce the geek stereotype so much that they lose all sense of tact, decorum, and dignity.

I am not a nerd. I am not a geek. I'm a human being, and my hobbies are no more strange than yours, whether you like cars, or guns, or football, or cooking shows, or knitting, or scrapbooking, or coupon-cutting, or gardening, or anything else. I will not happily parade around in a Spider-Man costume, just as you probably won't parade around dressed as your favorite sports star, cooking star, or pop star. This is not the norm for us. These people, who embrace "geek" and dress up, are the fringe.

They're our tea partiers. They're our moonies. They're our stereotype-reinforcing cousins who make us hide our faces in our palms.

I am not a geek. A geek is a guy in a carnival who eats strange things and injures himself for entertainment value. I'm just a guy who likes stuff.

September 4, 2011 at 9:44 am |
    • scyfylover

Zed,you whiny little bleeding heart liberal baby.Here's a roll of toilet paper to wipe your tears from someone "called me a name" crying.

September 4, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • pokie

i understand your point. BUT. that is what is wrong with the world today. TOO many people letting what others say about them get to them. too many getting offended...they are just WORDS.. it not a gun or a knife..they wont kill you...

September 4, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • Bonnie Half-Elven

Really, Zed? You're equating "geek" with the "n" word? Find some real issues to talk about. You have too much time on your hands.

Dragon*Con parade ROCKS! I wear my GEEK badge proudly!

September 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • I am a geek

For all the people saying "I'm not a geek/nerd! I'm a human being who enjoys geeky/nerdy things!" I think you need to understand something about the labeling system. Just because you are referred to as a nerd, doesn't mean that you are the exact duplicate of every other person ever called a nerd. The nerd/geek labeling literally means "this is a person who does geeky/nerdy things"... So yeah, you ARE a geek/nerd. If someone comes up to you at a party and introduces you to a friend as a "really cool, interesting guy", do you immediately retort with "I'm not cool or interesting, I'm a human being who happens to do cool and interesting things"? The only difference here is YOUR negative perception of the former word. So if others have differing perceptions of the words meaning, they are entirely within their rights to use it in what they find to be appropriate context, and here is the crucial part, even if you do not find it appropriate. As for the people saying that these people embarrass the nerd/geek culture, I can only infer that you are probably not a lifelong member of the geek/nerd club, because I can say with entire sincerity that these people are awesome, they have an inordinate amount of confidence and self-esteem that allows them to cut loose in an appropriate atmosphere and enjoy their hobbies with people of like minds. It's not something I would do, but I would never say it embarrasses me to be associated with them under the banner title of geek/nerd. It's not something I would do outside of Halloween, but the idea that these people want to and can makes me happy inside. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm in the middle of "Dance of Dragons" and must away!
      P.S. the comparison of "Nerd" with the "n" word is absolutely ridiculous, and I could use logical equations to show you that, but my keyboard doesn't include the symbols for logical expressions. The whole argument from the side of anti-nerd/geeks read as a "I was called X in high school, and it hurted my feelers, so now I won't allow anyone to call me that no more!" Whereas the pro-geek/nerds arguments are more along the lines of "I'm a geek/nerd who has been oppressed before, isn't it wonderful that we can go out and have fun with our hobbies now that we are mature adults who have the self esteem to ignore other peoples ignorance?"

September 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
      • Metoo!

I REFUSE TO BE LABELED!
        Next time someone tells me I'm awesome, I'm gonna scream "I'm a human being who just happens to do awesome stuff!"

September 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Tom

"Geek" is not on the same level as "Nigger".

One, at worst, is what the simple bully boy at the playground may call a kid with glasses and a chemistry kit, while threatening him/her to hand over their lunch money.

The other is loaded with centuries of persecution by governments and mass murder. Totally different degree.

September 4, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Spendlove

Who's Zed?

September 5, 2011 at 2:51 am |
    • smoore4

Zed needs to understand that geek is cool. And often it means a six-figure salary to go along with a life of sitting down in front a computer all day. Pretty sweet job for the most part.

September 5, 2011 at 6:32 am |
    • G.O.Thunder

Absolutely moronic comments. Calling someone a nerd or geek is NOT comparable to a racial slur. People choose to behave in nerdly fashions or have interest in geeky passtimes. Nobody is being forced to go to a cenvention as Pikachu – it is their choice. Cultural or ethnic background is not. It is hardly the same thing.

September 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • uhhh...

Actually, Zed, when you allow their opinion to matter, you've already handed over the power, it doesn't matter what word they use.

September 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Reckless13

So much content, so little intelligence to back it up. Your opinion is useless.

September 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  9. ron

These aren't geeks. These are nerds. You guys can't get ANY pop culture terms right. Geeks know technology. Nerds are social outcasts. Walk down the street dressed like these people and see if society doesn't cast you out. These people are obviously NERDS and not geeks. Geeks can fix a computer and STILL be the life of the party. Nerds might be able to fix the computer but they sit with all the other outcasts in the corner at the party.

September 4, 2011 at 9:28 am |
    • not outcast

There were 40,000 "outcasts" there, and many more who wished they could be.
      Sorry, but your attempts to make us ashamed of what we like have fallen flat. Time for you to go back to screaming at athletes on TV and pretending that when they win, somehow you've accomplished something.

September 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Andrea

Amazing how some posters want to label the 50,000+ DragonCon attendees or the 3,500 parade marchers. I am an older person who only recently discovered Dragon Con. I am married with two adult children, had a well paid career, retired and now volunteer 4 days a week. I am proud that I could be in the parade(PERIODIC TABLE! We matter!) and have enjoyed each year I have been at Dragon Con. Everyone at Dragon Con has been friendly and kind-and except for these rude posters- everyone in Atlanta has been kind and helpful(I venture beyond the Con to eat and sightsee elsewhere)

September 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  10. Fan

Just as with ComicCon, why is it essential to label people wh have a hobby or who enjoy fantasy fiction as geeks or nerds? If this were about NASCAR, your headline would say 'fans'. Your passive aggressive bullying is wearing a little thin.

September 4, 2011 at 9:11 am |
  11. Ad

That's the fattest Capt. America I've ever seen....appropriate being that we've got so many overweight people in this country.

September 4, 2011 at 9:07 am |
  12. Ken

Well I DID miss the parade because it took 2.5 hours to get a badge! Need to have more than TWO people taking credit card payments DC!

September 4, 2011 at 7:52 am |
    • Let me be Blunt

That's why you pre-register... We got through the line on Thursday in less than 40 minutes.
      Also, that's why you don't just walk in the day you want to be there and expect your badge-getting to be quick. You should be aware that Dragon*Con has thousands of other people participating, thus they can only handle so much. This is a rep they've had for years (and have mostly fixed this time; my first Dragon*Con and I didn't have to experience their notorious line for badges).

September 7, 2011 at 10:10 am |
    • DON'T PRE-REG

I didn't pre-reg. On Thursday evening when pre-regs were waiting in a 2-3 hour line, I walked in to on-site reg, and there were about 30-40 people in line. Breezed through in under 20 minutes. Coulda gone even faster if I had brought cash.
      I've gone a half dozen times, never pre-reged after the first year. I learned my lesson early.

September 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  13. GamerGrrl

I suggest everyone who thinks that the folks that attend dragon*con goes in 2012 to meet those "weird" people in costumes. You have professionals of all types, college students and kids. The bands that show up and play (The Cruxshadows, Bella Morte, and Abney Park to name a few...but especially the Cruxshadows) are some of the most approachable people on the face of this earth. People put great pride into their costuming skills and it's a way to show them off.

I find it sad how many people seem to leave fun, creativity and imagination behind when they become "adults." Nothing wrong with bringing out the inner geek!

September 4, 2011 at 7:25 am |
    • jerry

It's good to see a 'grrl' or woman saying this because for decades the whole idea of being a 'geek' or 'nerd' was heaped on the shoulders of men and boys in derogatory ways that most girls and women shunned or feared. Now that society is accepting this form of creativity more and more its great to see women and girls getting involved much more, helps make it that much more fun, and that is really what it has always been about.

September 4, 2011 at 8:56 am |
    • GamerGranny

GamerGrrl and Jerry,
      I agree! It is so wonderful that we can finally come out of the "closet". It has been a struggle as a FEMALE to advance in the "geek" world. While I was allowed to watch while the boys played Star Trek and football on a remote terminal, I was never allowed to play. I had a professor tell me that "Women should NOT be in the IT field". Glad I did NOT listen!

September 4, 2011 at 9:38 am |
  14. Jon

Had to do a "double take" on that Star Trek photo, that guy looks like James Doohan. Rest in peace Mr. Scott.

September 4, 2011 at 6:19 am |
  15. I am a geek

A lot of people drinking their hatorade in these here discussion threads. I even saw a guy get all ruffled because someone said "methinks". I feel like there be a lot of jealous bullies that never figured out how to mature out there and thus (omg he said "thus"! get him!) resort to online trollery. I giggled also at the parts where people arguing on the internet referred to how much time their target spent in the house. In the end many laughs were had by me and I just wanted to commend all involved. The haters for their amusing remarks and my fellow nerds for their "rise above the din" attitudes.
    INB4: "'I am a geek" is a NEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDD or some such. I served in OIF V with the 3rd ACR in Tal Afar, your pithy remarks are like a 7.62 impacting my m1114 door, it makes a bunch of noise but it won't rattle me.
    You may begin your bully-rage induced attempt at an assault now. I'll be searching amazon for the most realistic 11th doctor sonic screwdriver I can find for my Alma Mater's hometown halloween party costume. U jelly?

September 4, 2011 at 3:12 am |
    • Kemmasan

I see the reasoning for this reply on here; way to go, I am a geek!

September 4, 2011 at 5:45 am |
    • Tito

Haters gonna hate.

September 4, 2011 at 6:20 am |
    • Paul

"hatorade" LOVE it!!!

September 4, 2011 at 9:45 am |
  16. Matthew

Did the guy in the Captain America picture have a camel toe?!?!?!

September 4, 2011 at 1:10 am |
    • Mike

C'mon man, we're adults here... a little decency please?

...the correct nomenclature is MOOSE KNUCKLE.

September 4, 2011 at 1:14 am |
    • Matthew2

Don't be a douchebag.

September 4, 2011 at 2:56 am |
      • Mike

Slow down cowboy, I was making a fuckin joke.

September 4, 2011 at 5:49 am |
  17. Mike

ITT: Haters gon hate.

Don't get mad cause these 'nerds' are pulling sweet wonder woman pussy.

September 4, 2011 at 1:05 am |
    • BethTX

Yes, Mike, but in this case WonderWoman is 45 and 300lbs.

September 4, 2011 at 1:08 am |
      • Mike

Is she now?

like I said; Haters gon Hate

September 4, 2011 at 1:11 am |
      • Mike

Also, I suppose that's why Maxim Magazine did a piece on "Women of Dragoncon" too...

September 4, 2011 at 1:13 am |
      • Matthew2

Beth, don't be an asshole.

September 4, 2011 at 2:58 am |
      • NOt BETH

Its too late for Beth shes from TX

September 4, 2011 at 4:15 am |
    • Mike R

yes they do mike...in their imaginations, where they've been all their lives!

This parade needed some transformer constumes...

September 4, 2011 at 1:55 am |
  18. Mike R

Some crazy-as whitepeople.... they traded their white hoods for colorful costumes!! LOL j/k it looks like an awesome event....

September 4, 2011 at 12:59 am |
  19. Another Thing

What the hell is security like for one of these things? I mean, honestly, with everyone in costume, it's like let's play find the terrorist.

September 4, 2011 at 12:22 am |
    • Mike

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that the enemies of freedom and the American way of life probably have higher priority targets...

September 4, 2011 at 1:15 am |
      • Troy

Dale's words are wise. I have noticed a lot of pepole with blog angst lately. I myself have only been blogging for a year, and I have been worrying that I am getting boring. I'm hoping it's just a phase. I can't believe that twitter and facebook could have the same creative possibility as a blog, where one chooses exactly one's own format and content. We really write for ourselves, I think. I make art (etchings, etc.) as well as my attempts at writing. I learned long ago that I would not always make a good piece of art. But when I selected some of my best to put on my blog I was pleased that I had kept going.

December 19, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • ConGuest

I guess whoever made the terrorist comment is – well – uninformed. Uninformed person has no idea how many of the guys in Storm trooper armor and Jedi robes are serving and retired members of the American Military.

September 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
    • fearless

Stop living in fear.

September 7, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
      • Danny

Yup. When you live in fear, the terrorists win.

September 7, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  20. Furious Styles

With all that's going on with the economy, natural disasters and war, it was good to go see everyday people leave their troubles at home whether spectator or participant and enjoy themselves. Nothing but good harmless fun with friends & family.

September 4, 2011 at 12:16 am |
  21. fugunancy

CNN, you showed more 4 photos of men in tights and not a single wonder woman or bat girl. * Cons are about nerdy hot chicks dressing in slutty outfits and nothing more. Get it right next time.

September 3, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
  22. Bob From Earth

Here's another reason why America has gone down the tubes. Why? Because most people in this country cannot mature beyond this. LET IT GO PEOPLE! Comic books and such are great, nothing wrong with them. But when you are obsessed to the point that you're willing to sacrifice your real identity just because you think Chewbucca's personality is closer to the real you, and spend all year (not just Comic-Con) trying to be more like this alter ego, well, reality kinda goes out the window. My suggestion is to dress up as your favorite imaginary friend on Halloween and then get back to pursuing things that might actually change the world a little more powerfully than this. Oh, and btw, to all the fanboys and fangirls (emphasis on 'boys & girls') out there, before you slobber all over your computer screen, I know I spelled Chewbucca's name wrong. I just wanted to see a little saliva.

September 3, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
    • Oy Vey

Yup, listen up boys and girls! Time to grow up and work work work, make yourselves productive 24/7! Bahahaha.....

Bob from earth? Get a live Bob, lighten up, laugh, have some fun, go out more than once a year. LOL.

September 3, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
      • Either, Or

I don't believe in work work work. I just think too many people are stuck in this mode.

September 4, 2011 at 12:05 am |
    • Finn

Boy, I'll bet you're a bore at parties.

September 4, 2011 at 12:01 am |
      • Either, Or

If you mis-spelled bore (fair assumption if you're a fanboy) and meant 'boar', then yes, I am an ANIMAL at parties.

September 4, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • Daelda

How is this *any* different from sports fans who dress up in their team jerseys, some even painting themselves in team colors, and watching a bunch of overpaid guys follow a little ball around? It isn't.

September 4, 2011 at 1:00 am |
      • Paul

Well played!!!

September 4, 2011 at 9:52 am |
    • Mike

It's a hobby, dipshit.

September 4, 2011 at 1:04 am |
    • Matthew2

Bob – you seem like kind of a dipshit peckerhead

September 4, 2011 at 3:02 am |
    • Lamo

Don't be mean to Bob. He has Asperger Syndrome

September 4, 2011 at 7:50 am |
      • Greta

I came, I read this airctle, I conquered.

September 23, 2011 at 12:12 am |
    • Possum

Gee, thanks, Big Brother, Overlord and Supreme Anus of the Slave Planet, Bor-Ing. No, how about this: Go F yourself. Next time you want to complain about "geeks and nerds," do it by snail mail, on parchment – or just send smoke singles, Ignoramus. People celebrating, being creative, and using their imaginations instead of subscribing to your dull, lifeless and quite frankly, pointless form of existence, would NOT be any reason America – or Life, in general, has, "gone down the tubes." Live a little. Think outside YOUR box. Make things happen. WAKE THE F UP.

September 4, 2011 at 9:16 am |
    • MacWhoDat

is that what your preacher spewed at you from the pulpet this weekend Bob-o? Is church on your very short list of approved hobbies as a republican? Why are your make belive hobbies better than these fine folks, granted they don't have the dress and flaming purse of the local priest but they are pretty well put together. If you really don't like this sort of thing...DON'T GO...DON'T LOOK AT THE ARTICLE...looks like you're the one who needs to grow up.

September 4, 2011 at 9:45 am |
    • Bob From Earth

Good to see you all up in arms about a post that was nothing more than a dupe. Although I am from Earth, my names not Bob, and I really don't care about any of this at all. Maybe you guys are the one that should get a life and/or take it easy. We have learned that whether you know something is real or not, you will respond as if it is and resort to child-like name calling. Maybe you're the ones that should grow up. Enjoy your clams!

September 4, 2011 at 11:58 am |
      • Reckless13

Well played Bob. Using the ole' "I was just joking, you all are idiots for getting so mad" ruse eh? Very nice, very nice lol

September 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  23. Alexandra

Midnight Syndicate was there.~ :3

September 3, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  24. Mattie

Way to insult many of your readers, CNN. Calling people "geeks" or "nerds" is not only alienating and derogatory, it's just plain rude. I'm damn tired of having to hear these words so openly used and I refuse to allow it in my presence.

September 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Dragonwind

Sorry you find it offensive, myself, I am proud to call myself a Geek and a Nerd. I will make a suggestion for you. Take the Microprocessor out of your bum and learn to relax.

September 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
      • Mattie

Glad you feel comfortable identifying yourself with hate speech.

September 3, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
      • Bob From Earth

You just took nerd to a new level with the 'microprocessor in your bum' comment. I crown you King Nerd! Congrats, now get out of the house for more than one day a year.

September 4, 2011 at 12:12 am |
      • Dragonwind

Mattie, it is only Hate Speech if you choose to believe that is what it is. Something I learned a long time ago. I am the master of my feelings. What someone calls me, or says about me, carries no weight with me unless I give it that weight.

Maybe when you grow up some, and learn that you are truly the owner of your own emotions and emotional responses will you understand this. I will hope for your sake, that it happens soon.

When we become offended by others words, we have given them power over our emotions. As I said, I am proud to call myself a Geek and a Nerd. I know what I am capable of doing.

When my friends call and ask me for help with some problem on their computer, or when they ask me to put together a new sound system for them, or ask me to explain in English what some esoteric manual is saying... I feel very proud that I am the one they are coming to, and asking for help, because they know I can help them.

THAT is what being a Geek and Nerd is all about. There isn't anything in the least, that is offensive about that unless you make the choice to view it that way.

September 4, 2011 at 5:22 am |
      • Dragonwind

Dear Bob From Earth. I live on the Island of Maui. I kite surf, wind surf, fish, snorkel, swim, sail, whale watch, hike, camp and enjoy everything the islands have to offer. I get out of the house every day. I live in Paradise. Wouldn't you?

September 4, 2011 at 5:36 am |
      • pokie

that is the attitude i wish more people had and what i try to get across to people. ..words will only affect you IF you let them...it is so simple. but apparently so hard for some. 3 cheers to you dragonwind! :)

September 4, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • mb

Don't be offended. Derogatory terms are used against people who are successful. The people who make such offensive comments are the ones in the 9.1% unemployed group begging the government for handouts while the "geeks" and "nerds" are the ones making all the money and that is why they have the time to have a show like DragonCon. I think it is awesome. These people are the winners. The rest are losers and will always be losers.

September 3, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
      • Another Thing

I beg your pardon. I am NOT a LOSER. I'm just a stormtrooper stuck between jobs right now.

September 4, 2011 at 12:38 am |
    • Wulf

I'd consider myself a nerd, as would many of my friends, and none of us have a problem with the term. Maybe you were just relentlessly picked on or something? It's really not that big of a deal. I'm guessing your just trolling.

September 3, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
    • Joe Rioux

Say it loud; say it proud: I am a geek and a nerd.

September 3, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
      • Another Thing

Why do you have to say it loud? It doesn't make it more real.

September 4, 2011 at 12:40 am |
    • Oy Vey

Seriously? My spouse and I are PhD scientists, our kids are going into engineering. My daughter just made a wolverine claw for fun. On a Friday night, lol. We all call ourselves geeks and nerds. Our likeminded friends do too.

Methinks you can't really be a geek or a nerd if you actually find these term offensive. I'm offended you consider us offensive!

September 4, 2011 at 12:03 am |
      • Another Thing

And I'm offended that you're offended that he's offended. No wait, I don't care.

PhD scientists dressed as stormtroopers. I bet the sex is great!

p.s. I'll be very offended if you aren't offended by that.

September 4, 2011 at 12:36 am |
      • BethTX

"Methinks"? Seriously? Anyone who uses language like that is a winner. I can tell.

September 4, 2011 at 1:03 am |
    • Let me be Blunt

The word is only as bad as you make it.
      I'm actually pleased with a programming business we have in town called "Geeks and Nerds Inc." Made by geeks, run by geeks, and kept alive by them.. Wanna know why I'm OK with these words? I graduated from a Technology high school, with an emphasis on computer graphics and software; I fracking love Steampunk, anime, Science Fiction, Fantasy, video games, and comic books; and I participated in this parade PROUDLY!

I'm sorry that you can't get over the negativity of the words, but some of us grew up enough to embrace the fact that people are just *going* to be different. Screw all of you jocks and bullies who have no back-bones and just want to feel better about yourselves for picking on "the little guys" (I'm a girl, btw), and forget you "kids" and your "B-b-but this is NAME CALLING! This isn't c-c-cool! Why would you be so mean?" It's our lives. If we want to be "nerds" and "geeks," LET US! Get over your little fears about people being different and get on with your own lives. And if we're OK with being called those "bad words", then that's our decision. You don't have to get all touchy about bygones.

September 7, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Hate speech shmate speech.

If someone doesn't understand just how freakin' awesome my life as a geek and nerd is, I really don't see why I should care. I am no more ashamed to enjoy science fiction and gaming than I am ashamed to make six figures, have a nice lawn, or love my wife. Why should I ever feel bad about the things that make me happy? I don't need the approval or esteem of some tool who thinks the way to feel good about himself is to tear down others.

September 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • The boss of me

You aren't the boss of me, I am. How dare you try to tell me what I can and cannot embrace?

September 7, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  25. Jen Panama

Too bad I missed the parade. In all my years in Atlanta, I never knew they had a parade for Dragoncon. I will not miss it for sure next year. I think it is great for adults to have an outlet for their alter egos. Cool

September 3, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  26. little billy

look at all the nerds mommy

September 3, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
    • look at the dolt

Yes, how dare they enjoy something other than professional sports!

September 7, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  27. BethTX

Well, I guess you have to do something with your time when Mom chases you out of her basement on laundry day.

September 3, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • momofone

You are mistaken about who participates in DragonCon. Most of them are self supporting adults with good jobs and homes of their own. This is their fun and why not.

September 3, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
    • mb

Awe .... a snide comment from an unemployed loser. These people are all engineers and scientists who on an average make 6 figures. Sorry BethTx mommy would probably love to have them in their basements to help out with the bills and the taxes and the uemployment benefits required to support shits like you.

September 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
      • Either, Or

What we've learned from 'mb':

Either, MB is one of these participants. Making the odds good that he/she is also an intelligent engineer or scientist. An intelligent engineer or scientist, so intelligent, that they would never reduce themselves to calling another person 'shits' just because of a difference of opinion.

Or, MB is not one of these participants. Which means he/she stayed in their basement today, because mom did the laundry yesterday, and they had the time to go online and defend the 'honor' of these participants instead of looking for a job.

September 4, 2011 at 12:03 am |
      • Oy Vey

Yup. We collectively- hubby and I- make about 440k a year. We could afford to fly to this thing with our kids. PhDs buy you freedom lady– freedom to go to goofy parades instead of clipping coupons, freedom to dress up like a comic hero and not really care that someone thinks you don't have a life.

September 4, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • Corinthia

Never been to Dragoncon - but just returned from Worldcon – and we were wearing our steam-punk costumes. These folks don't live in anyone's basement....The more intelligent the people, the more complex their entertainment - sitting in front of the tv like zombies doesn't do it. And the average salary of folks at these events, especially the ones you have to travel for is very high, most folks are either writers, producers, engineers or scientist – and employed.

September 4, 2011 at 12:39 am |
    • Matthew2

Beth, don't be such a cunt, OK?

September 4, 2011 at 3:11 am |
    • Paul

My God, what is wrong with you??? You can't just live and let live? You find you simply must denigrate other people? I'm truly sad if you're unhappy with life but that's no reason to take it out on anyone else. Sheesh....

September 4, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • Heh heh heh...

I am an MD, own my house and two rentals, and have been married for 22 years. I have a kid in college and another who will be soon. I work with two different charities.
      I go to DragonCon every year, and play in a regularly scheduled D&D game.
      Sorry to burst your bubble, but when you talk about what "losers" these people are, remember one of them might be your doctor.

September 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Bruno

I cannot sterss enough how much I *heart* David Tennant, and how much fun it is sharing this show with my son. During series three, he saved his allowance for several months in order to mail-order a Tardis that makes noises. That holiday season, he got a Doctor and Martha figure set with a few villains. he only plays with the Tardis, though.

August 2, 2012 at 10:26 pm |