Geeks of Dragon*Con, share your stories!
September 3rd, 2011

Geeks of Dragon*Con, share your stories!

Just in case you couldn't tell from all the other posts on this blog right now, Dragon*Con is happening in Atlanta, Georgia as we speak. It's a veritable bacchanalia of all things geek - a little bit like the Mos Eisley cantina scene, but with a much better-looking drinking scene. (Although you'll definitely be able to find cosplayers re-enacting it.) Since we know that more than a few of you will be in attendance, we'd love for you to share your Dragon*Con adventures with us!

Lucky us, CNN has just the place for that - iReport. For the uninitiated, iReport is where citizen-journalists can share pictures, videos and stories with the CNN audience. This includes all of you playing paparazzi on the streets of downtown Atlanta this weekend. So, if you're out and about and see a superfan in a killer costume, take a picture, a video, even get up close and personal for an interview. Or, if you're a proud geek who wants to represent your fandom, snap a picture of yourself and your group in-costume at the convention!

Share your photos and videos of the costumes, panels and parades. Tell us what you're interested in seeing, and what cool things you uncover. The deadline for this assignment is 8pm Sunday, September 4. The best submissions could be featured on CNN.com and Geek Out!

Posted by
Filed under: Fandom
  1. hnhxicm

lYf0by blsjwqhjastd

December 28, 2011 at 4:46 am |
  2. Vicky

Thanks for introducing a little riatonality into this debate.

December 27, 2011 at 2:13 am |
  3. Dashrender

Steph J. is absolutely right. I expected to wait no less than 2 hours (last time was closer to 4) but even with what looked like a super long line only took 45 min. I do agree though that DC needs to get over themselves collecting funds from people who change their minds and then DC charges $20 to convert the patch to a new person. I'm guessing these extra funds are the reason DC won't mail out their badges ahead of time like Star Wars Celebrations do.

September 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
    • lhgordon

Dragon*Con doesn't mail their badges out ahead of time because of the possibility of fraudulent badges floating about; they do not reveal anything about the badge art or the design until the convention starts.

September 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Michelle

DragonCon did take forever to register for this year: Last year I paid on-site instead of pre-reg, and I had NO line to stand in. This year, they said it was going to be faster, but, no, epic fail!! I don't understand why DragonCon makes people stand in line for registration anyway. They should be up to date with technology in that you pay online, email you a barcode, and let you print out your own badge for computer scanning at the Con. Their whole registration process is ridiculous, and each year they go up in price!! I regret going this year. There were too many people and not enough space to move in. Talk about fire hazzards everywhere!

September 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
  5. tiffany

I attended Dragon Con for the very first time on Saturday. Unfortunately, I decided to purchase my ticket the same day. This is a mistake. The amount of people who attended this convention was mind boggling....so my question is why did the organizers not prepare for this. Waiting in line for 2 hours outside the Sheraton was ridiculous. Also, it don't take a wiz to figure out that the bulk of their funding come from same day pass sales. I wish the people who organizes comic would give dragon con some advise. Other than that, the convention was great.

September 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • christopher

They did prepare for this, and that is why the line to get in actually had a formative shape with Staff ensuring that you were going in the right direction. Why didn't YOU prepare for this? While it may be your first Con, I'll assume you knew that it is the largest one of its type in the Country and would easily draw upwards of 40k people. Going down to con on the busiest day of the weekend prior to 4pm is going to net you a 2-3 hour wait. Bring cash or check if you're going to wait for the last minute, as that will get you in a shorter line. The people who waited around the block for hours on end either didn't know what they were doing or were using a credit card. Those paying in cash could've walked in the doors of the Sheraton at any time and waited less than 20 minutes, even during peak.

September 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
      • tiffany

not true christopher.......I had cash and the attendance said that we still had to wait in line like everyone else. Also, no I was not aware of the popularity of this convention. The poor website is a clue. To further my bitchin, like many other people planning during a recession, we can only take one day at a time due to poor job stability.

September 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Steph J.

Tiffany, this was the first year in many many years at Dragon Con that I did not have to stand in line for 4 – 5 hours! I was thrilled that I only had to wait approximately two hours this year. (And that was only because there was a computer glitch) I know this is your first time attending the con but I shudder to think what you would have thought last year or before. Seriously. There were around 40 thousand guests this year... I think they did a fantastic job in the queues this year.

September 6, 2011 at 7:56 am |
    • Becky

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Dragon*Con makes the vast majority of their ticket sales in Pre-Registration... the lines for Pre-Reg are always longer than the lines for same-day passes. You see more Pre-Reg badges then the smaller, same-day badges. Also a 2-hour line for a badge is NOTHING. Dragon*Con did a WONDERFUL job with making Registration more efficient this year!

September 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Steve

Tiffany, welcome to Dragon-Con. One thing I will recommend is know how you wish to purchase your passes and plan the day that you will pick them up in the future. For example. On Thursday, if you are in the Atlanta area or can arrive a day before the con, you can pick up your on-site purchases within minutes of walking in while the pre-registration process will take about one to two hours. Friday through Sunday the registration process is a lot longer for both on-site and pre-registration lines. However as Steph J. stated they have streamlined their process this year and really shorted the wait time for pre-registered con-goers.

September 21, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
  6. MandiSmash

MOLARI!!!!

September 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Another Thing

Just guessing but, judging the picture alone, I'd say this guy just lost his job.

September 4, 2011 at 12:25 am |